I'm Looking for a router recommendation.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • BabyJesus 4 Oct 2009 01:04:40 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, basically my current low-end netgear router that came with my virgin broadband is shite, as expected.

So I'm looking for a good router for my cable modem that will guarantee lag-free gaming for my 360, even if the PC is on aswell.

I'm 20mb speed and it's pissing me off that I'm lagging like fuck in everything on the 360 :/

So, yes any recommendations?
  • Deleted user 4 October 2009 01:11:11
    Whichever one of these that fits your needs. Ignore all the reviews on there, the people writing them are more stupid than those in the average EG comments section.
  • TheStylishHobo 4 Oct 2009 12:12:03 3,185 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got this when it was 30 everywhere. I remember all the reviewers being amazed just how cheap it was but apparently Buffalo caught on. Anyway, still a good router which I'd recommend.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2009 12:14:49
    i haz the exact same router ^_^
  • dominalien 4 Oct 2009 12:16:53 7,030 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get a higher-end Netgear. Only brand I haven't had problems with.

I also like the Apple router for the sleekness and the cool dual-band 2.4/5GHz abgn thing, but I guess I don't really recommend it. It's got this stupid configuration utility you have to install so if you're stuck without internet and without the router's CD, you can't even GET internet.

Oh, and are you sure your lag problems are because of your router and not e.g. because of some problems with your line?

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 4 October 2009 12:18:30
    what? get the buffalo!
  • BabyJesus 5 Oct 2009 01:18:11 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Get a higher-end Netgear. Only brand I haven't had problems with.

I also like the Apple router for the sleekness and the cool dual-band 2.4/5GHz abgn thing, but I guess I don't really recommend it. It's got this stupid configuration utility you have to install so if you're stuck without internet and without the router's CD, you can't even GET internet.

Oh, and are you sure your lag problems are because of your router and not e.g. because of some problems with your line?

Yep I'm sure, did speed tests out my arse for the pc (which connected to the router by ethernet as opposed to the wireless 360).

I've only preserved with the connection as is because I rarely play online, but with FIFA10 just out, the lagging is really getting on my nerves.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2009 01:34:25
    GET THE BUFFALO
  • BabyJesus 5 Oct 2009 01:47:52 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    N@ wrote:
    GET THE BUFFALO

Giving the resounding advice and a little bit of browsing round the interwebz I shall be a buffalo owner sometime this week.

I'm surprised how bloody cheap they are :D
  • Dirtbox 5 Oct 2009 01:55:11 78,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Netgear is a massively overpriced rip.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 5 October 2009 03:02:31
    BabyJesus wrote:
    N@ wrote:
    GET THE BUFFALO

Giving the resounding advice and a little bit of browsing round the interwebz I shall be a buffalo owner sometime this week.

I'm surprised how bloody cheap they are :D

you will like your new buffalo! >:)
  • TheStylishHobo 5 Oct 2009 07:49:50 3,185 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good lord, Apple and Netgear dominalien? Do you enjoy throwing your money away?
  • dominalien 5 Oct 2009 08:09:04 7,030 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good lord, Apple and Netgear dominalien? Do you enjoy throwing your money away?

No, I enjoy things which work well for many years. This usually means paying more.

Also, I'm not saying these are the only good pieces of hardware. I'm just saying I've found them reliable. E.g. any other routers I've used had to be reset every now and then, whereas the Netgears (quite a few) have been problem free. That's all. Also, I said I DON'T recommend Apple, if only because of the stupid configuration utility.

As for Bufallo, I won't comment one way or another. I don't even think they're available in this country I live in.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Murby 30 Apr 2011 00:08:53 235 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    *Bump*

Looking for a decent wireless N router that can support xbox live, psn and a few laptops and desktops on a 50MB Virgin line.

Currently have a DLink DIR-615 which does the job but seems old now.

Any suggestions?
  • mal 30 Apr 2011 00:22:11 22,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    50mb? Is that cable?

If it's ADSL I'm quite happy with my cheap chinese knockoff TP-LINK router, having been through most of the well-known brands over the years. It just works, and doesn't try to hide things behind layers of obsfucation.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Murby 2 May 2011 00:36:51 235 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea its Cable :)

Hmm ok :)

Trip around the virtual town to have a looksie then :)

Thank you!
  • Mekanik 12 Dec 2011 08:22:49 3,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Bumpity

Looking to finally replace my dodgy linksys router thats finally giving up the ghost.

Unfortunately no cable for me (countryside FTW...) so just an ADSL line. Wireless needed for gf`s lappy and PS3 and preferably something that`ll give me open NAT on my xboxy without too much pissing about.

Anyone can recommend something thats not a stupid waste of money?
  • Dirtbox 12 Dec 2011 08:48:32 78,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get another linksys, a D-Link or a buffalo.

The only thing you need to know is to avoid Netgear and Belkin. They're for mugs at different ends of the spectrum (one a fool easily parted from his money and the other a cheap and cheerful penny pincher).

You can install WRT on all, which promptly makes your router princely poop on any off the peg box available.

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:05:51 12-12-2011

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Mekanik 12 Dec 2011 10:28:29 3,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Coolio. Had my eye on linksys tbh, never had any issues with it until now but it is getting on a bit.

Wtf is WRT?

/knows nothing about pc`s `cept how to shoot things.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 22 Nov 2012 15:53:47 10,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been looking at buying a new router lately and I keep seeing people talking about installing wrt/tomato firmware on them.

Can anyone explain what this is and what the benefits are, and if it hard to do?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 23 Nov 2012 08:06:58 10,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Been looking at buying a new router lately and I keep seeing people talking about installing wrt/tomato firmware on them.

Can anyone explain what this is and what the benefits are, and if it hard to do?
    Anyone? :)
  • chopsen 23 Nov 2012 08:18:48 16,209 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 23 Nov 2012 08:30:31 10,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Chopsen Thanks. Looks like I won't be needing that as I'll just be using it as a standard domestic router.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next