Recommend me a car Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• TheSaint 14 Dec 2011 12:28:51 14,198 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like you need a diesel Mondeo. Look for a Titanium or Titanium X if you want all the toys.
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2011 12:37:16 6,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Colleague just picked up a 4 year old, circa 50k A4 2 litre diesel for ten grand with all the toys.
  • nickthegun 14 Dec 2011 12:37:18 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    BMW 3 series diesel.
    All day long.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Nasty 14 Dec 2011 12:47:19 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    09/10 Mondeo or Citroen C5 with all the trimmings would be bang on.

Edited by Nasty at 12:47:34 14-12-2011
  • JuanKerr 14 Dec 2011 13:11:37 36,192 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mondeo or Skoda Superb (diesels, obviously).
  • grey_matters 14 Dec 2011 13:23:21 3,670 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bluemotion Golf?
  • Jacksie66 14 Dec 2011 13:40:48 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Opel Vectra/Insignia
  • Luckyjim 14 Dec 2011 13:53:19 2,869 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great thread 'cos it just so happens that the wife and I are looking to buy a new car in the new year. Can't really decide what to get (and we still need to test drive a few of them). We'll only go used Any thoughts on the following:

1-2 years, up to 30k miles
    Nissan Juke
    Audi A1
    BMW 1 series
    VW Golf

3-5 years, up to 50k miles
    BMW 3 series
    Mercedes CLC
    Audi A4

The second list is more of a fantasy list as I've never bought a car that old before, and I'd wonder about the running costs of some of those motors.

Probably end up going for the more modest first list. Any thoughts, or any other suggestions for that matter? If it helps the budget will be around 13k (prefer to spend less, mind).
  • figgis 14 Dec 2011 14:37:19 7,383 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mid range Golf, don't go for the basic model.

The BMW 1 series is nice to drive but expensive to run and complete shite in the winter. I've got one and I do like it but I should have picked up a golf instead.

The A1 is a bit dull and overpriced, the Volkswagen C30 is also worth a look.

The Juke looks like a trainer and Nissans are not as good as they used to be in regards to build quality.

A Ford Focus as boring as they might seem are always worth a look at as well.

Have a look at What Car for some more in depth reviews.

Edited by figgis at 14:38:03 14-12-2011
  • nickthegun 14 Dec 2011 14:42:25 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    The A1 is a bit dull and overpriced, the Volkswagen C30 is also worth a look.
    Assuming you mean Volvo, that is also dull and overpriced.

But, yeah, the A1 really does suffer from being the same car as the fabia, polo and ibiza but far more expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Luckyjim 14 Dec 2011 17:33:53 2,869 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the advice, chaps. My problem is I see pros and cons in all of them.

I've heard the same thing about 1 series in the winter (as they're rear wheel drive). As we live on a bit of a hill we may face problems when it snows. In fact, I mentioned this to a chap in the BMW dealership. He said that there's truth to it but it's been blown out of proportion. He said it's because most people aren't comfortable with rear wheel drive cars. He added that they even do a free training course to show you how to drive properly.

Anyway, quite like Juke but I can see how the look divides opinions. It also has a weird central column. It's like a motorbike.

A1 have been getting excellent reviews. Whatcar car of the year - which is what drew me in - but they're still pricey, especially because they're still very new.

Golf gets a lot of votes from peeps I've spoken to. Just makes me worry slightly as that's what my dad drove - I'm too young to be turning into my dad.
  • heyyo 14 Dec 2011 17:46:24 14,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only a 4WD heavy vechicle with winter tyres and is any good is the winter, a much of a muchness with everything else
  • Dirtbox 14 Dec 2011 18:17:29 77,453 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a 10 year old beemer 5 series that used to be some woman's company car. It's bloody lovely and only cost me 2500.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• AgeOfChaos 14 Dec 2011 18:43:56 255 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They're shit, 2500 was steep too
  • Jacksie66 14 Dec 2011 19:42:41 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Go for a golf gti.
  • Bremenacht 14 Dec 2011 23:51:00 17,598 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No MINI on that list either. Not to your taste or not enough room for stuff?

It's true about BMW RWD, but you just have to adapt your driving. Hill-starts on snow aren't really an option. Well, going up they're not anyway. Having appropriate tyres, and snow-socks or chains will get you along packed snow. I ran a E30 3 series for 7 or 8 years, and two sacks of coal and a set of snow-chains got me along some bad roads. That, and the ability to put the snow-chains on when I couldn't feel my hands anymore! Worst thing about winter driving is other drivers.

I wouldn't go for an A1 personally, even though they seem better value than MINIs in many respects.
  • Bremenacht 14 Dec 2011 23:53:42 17,598 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Opel Vectra/Insignia
    As well as finding evidence of the Higgs boson, CERN also found that all Insignia drivers are grade A morons. Big cars and middle-aged men with little brains driving them. Worst drivers on the road.
  • heyyo 15 Dec 2011 00:11:08 14,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Opel Vectra/Insignia
    As well as finding evidence of the Higgs boson, CERN also found that all Avensis drivers are grade A morons. Big cars and middle-aged male mini cab drivers with little brains driving them. Worst drivers on the road, and unfortunately they spend all day and night on them.
    Eyes glued to the fucking sat nav!

Edited by heyyo at 00:12:09 15-12-2011
  • Jacksie66 15 Dec 2011 04:58:12 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heyyo wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Opel Vectra/Insignia
    As well as finding evidence of the Higgs boson, CERN also found that all Avensis drivers are grade A morons. Big cars and middle-aged male mini cab drivers with little brains driving them. Worst drivers on the road, and unfortunately they spend all day and night on them.
    Eyes glued to the fucking sat nav!
    Well vectras are my personal favourite cars.
    Vectra b's and vectra c's...
  • Jacksie66 15 Dec 2011 05:00:05 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Opel Vectra/Insignia
    As well as finding evidence of the Higgs boson, CERN also found that all Insignia drivers are grade A morons. Big cars and middle-aged men with little brains driving them. Worst drivers on the road.
    And im 24 and I love vectras/insignias.
    If I had the cash id buy one in a heartbeat...
  • eleven63 15 Dec 2011 09:21:42 1,599 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback.

BMW 3 series is an option, and I guess bullet proof, but prefer a hatchback style (not a fan of estates)

Happy with the idea of a Mondeo or Insignia - yes both a bit dull, but both offer tons of equipment and safety features for your money.

And, any way, I'm middle aged ;)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• figgis 15 Dec 2011 09:35:56 7,383 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    I've heard the same thing about 1 series in the winter (as they're rear wheel drive). As we live on a bit of a hill we may face problems when it snows. In fact, I mentioned this to a chap in the BMW dealership. He said that there's truth to it but it's been blown out of proportion. He said it's because most people aren't comfortable with rear wheel drive cars. He added that they even do a free training course to show you how to drive properly.
    If you get winter tyres its supposed to make a massive difference, however I don't have a spare 500 to test it out. Sticking a massive bag of grit in the back is a good idea, but I wouldn't get a rear wheel drive series 1 again. Pity as it's great on the road normally.
  • retrological 15 Dec 2011 09:41:31 292 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Luckyjim

Abarth 500 - 2 years old - Sub 11k

Such a fun car. Pretty unique. And yes I am biased.
  • elstoof 15 Dec 2011 09:49:23 6,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you tried a twinair? I'd like to give them both a go.
  • Concrete 15 Dec 2011 10:13:38 561 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't be too afraid of RWD cars and snow, decent winter tyres and second gear starts and you'll be fine. I ran a big engined tuned E36 (old 3 series) for the last two years in Brighton snow, it only got stuck once and I didn't see another vehicle make the hill that stopped it either.
  • Madder-Max 15 Dec 2011 10:25:20 11,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @heyyo

Not necessarily. my 2 litre front wheel drive petrol vectra loves the snow with traction control and a set of decent mid range tyres (start in 2nd gear torquey engine). Got me around last year in all the snow without any probs.

I also have a 2.2 l automatic omega, rear wheel drive and i might as well have been driving a sledge with an engine last Winter. Tried in manual 2nd gear. everything. I think the car itself felt embarassed.

Edited by Madder-Max at 10:27:45 15-12-2011

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Madder-Max 15 Dec 2011 10:28:56 11,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I've got a 10 year old beemer 5 series that used to be some woman's company car. It's bloody lovely and only cost me 2500.
    is that the sexy looking 'rounded' model. if so I love those cars. good on ya

99 problems and being ginger is one

• heyyo 15 Dec 2011 11:34:52 14,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    @heyyo

Not necessarily. my 2 litre front wheel drive petrol vectra loves the snow with traction control and a set of decent mid range tyres (start in 2nd gear torquey engine). Got me around last year in all the snow without any probs.

I also have a 2.2 l automatic omega, rear wheel drive and i might as well have been driving a sledge with an engine last Winter. Tried in manual 2nd gear. everything. I think the car itself felt embarassed.
    I was driving a 5 door FWD hatchback around last winter, 1.8 petrol I thought I was going to die so many times. Just about got moving in 2nd gear but just wouldn't turn to save it's (mine) life
  • Luckyjim 15 Dec 2011 18:15:11 2,869 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    No MINI on that list either. Not to your taste or not enough room for stuff?

It's true about BMW RWD, but you just have to adapt your driving. Hill-starts on snow aren't really an option. Well, going up they're not anyway. Having appropriate tyres, and snow-socks or chains will get you along packed snow. I ran a E30 3 series for 7 or 8 years, and two sacks of coal and a set of snow-chains got me along some bad roads. That, and the ability to put the snow-chains on when I couldn't feel my hands anymore! Worst thing about winter driving is other drivers.

I wouldn't go for an A1 personally, even though they seem better value than MINIs in many respects.
    Don't know what is but I can't stand new minis. Old minis, on the other, wonderful cars.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 10 Jan 2012 11:39:17 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New car today \o/ I got a Nissan Qashqai, it's not brand new but a 2010 with all the fancy features. I remember writing threads about the Qashqai a few years back but was way outside my budget so it feels good to be getting one now. I've driven an old Ford Ka (girliest car ever) and an old Diahatsu so am looking forward to something modern :)
  • Page

of 9 First / Last