Recommend me a car Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• PatrickEwing 8 Oct 2009 16:38:15 2,125 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goban
    I have in certain cars, my old Golf yes, my mums Mini oh yes, but my Saab 9-3 is the supremely comfortable on the back and legs. The osteopath recommeded saabs as one of the best for posture and the likes.
  • Aranel 8 Oct 2009 16:44:17 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Only fiat I've ever owned was one of those 155bhp Bravo HGT's. The 2.0 litre ones and I loved it to bits. Went like a rat up a drainpipe. Had it for 3 years and no problems.

Fiats are so hit and miss though. Get a good 'un and they rock; get a bad one and things will fall off every time you look at them.

My first Fiat had an electronic speedo. The electrics were dodgy and I often found myself doing -999mph.

My second Fiat I still have and I love her. I refuse to get rid of her. In fact, I'm about to spend hideous quantities of money fully restoring her, much to my OH's annoyance!
  • JuanKerr 8 Oct 2009 16:47:06 36,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dodgy electronics on an Italian car? NONSENSE!
  • Alastair 8 Oct 2009 16:50:31 15,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Fast enough for me. :o)

Don't know how I would cope with a car sick child. I have no experience of it as my bro and me were never car sick as children. And his kids don't get car sick either.
    The smell of vomit for 8hrs in a car is not pleasant.

8 mins would be bad enough!

Not as nice as I used to be

• pistol 8 Oct 2009 16:51:32 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Only fiat I've ever owned was one of those 155bhp Bravo HGT's. The 2.0 litre ones and I loved it to bits. Went like a rat up a drainpipe. Had it for 3 years and no problems.

Fiats are so hit and miss though. Get a good 'un and they rock; get a bad one and things will fall off every time you look at them.

My first Fiat had an electronic speedo. The electrics were dodgy and I often found myself doing -999mph.

My second Fiat I still have and I love her. I refuse to get rid of her. In fact, I'm about to spend hideous quantities of money fully restoring her, much to my OH's annoyance!

Yeah, fair point, although I guess the same could be said for a lot of makes. I did love that HGT though and at the time there weren't many around. My brother in law bought it in the end so I still got to have a go in it now and then. It's gone now though.
  • Goban 8 Oct 2009 16:56:25 9,051 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    @Goban
    I have in certain cars, my old Golf yes, my mums Mini oh yes, but my Saab 9-3 is the supremely comfortable on the back and legs. The osteopath recommeded saabs as one of the best for posture and the likes.
    It's weird, I've never encountered it before and I've driven my fair share of cars over the years.
  • Aranel 8 Oct 2009 16:58:38 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pistol wrote:Yeah, fair point, although I guess the same could be said for a lot of makes. I did love that HGT though and at the time there weren't many around. My brother in law bought it in the end so I still got to have a go in it now and then. It's gone now though.

My parents loved their Fiat. Unfortunately, it got rear ended three times in three months - the first time "Sorry mate, didn't see you there" (the car was bright yellow), the last time, "Sorry - I've never seen snow before..." - and it was written off. They now have a Porsche and despite it being a "better" and more prestigious car, my Dad still wants another Fiat.
  • pistol 8 Oct 2009 17:22:17 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    pistol wrote:Yeah, fair point, although I guess the same could be said for a lot of makes. I did love that HGT though and at the time there weren't many around. My brother in law bought it in the end so I still got to have a go in it now and then. It's gone now though.

My parents loved their Fiat. Unfortunately, it got rear ended three times in three months - the first time "Sorry mate, didn't see you there" (the car was bright yellow), the last time, "Sorry - I've never seen snow before..." - and it was written off. They now have a Porsche and despite it being a "better" and more prestigious car, my Dad still wants another Fiat.

I went from the HGt to a Golf VR6 and loved that even more, but now I've slowed down with family n kids etc and gone all sensible. Drive an Audi now.

• Aranel 8 Oct 2009 17:32:16 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I went from the HGt to a Golf VR6 and loved that even more, but now I've slowed down with family n kids etc and gone all sensible. Drive an Audi now.

Lol, I've gone the opposite way. Currently have an Exige. I don't do sensible. If I have to do 'sensible' and have children, that means I'll just have to buy a second Exige, simple!
  • Angel_Treats 8 Oct 2009 17:55:21 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Seeing as this is turning into a general car chat, does anyone else ever have pains in your accelerator leg during drives over 1.5hrs. I've adjusted the seat in every position known to man and it still happens?

I have arthritis in my right ankle (my accelerator leg, obviously). In most cars I'm fine, but in our Punto, which I drove for more than a few minutes today for the first time, it was very painful. I'm hoping it's just because I'm not used to it yet.

Re carsickness, I suffer terribly in cars with bouncy suspension. It's particularly bad in Fords, bizarrely, I used to throw up in my ex's mum's Mondeo estate and I hate travelling in my in laws' Focus. The more horrible the car is over speedbumps, the less likely it is to make me sick.

• JuanKerr 8 Oct 2009 20:56:17 36,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    Currently have an Exige.

I really, REALLY want an Exige. Drove an Elise a few years back and that was brilliant.
  • Aranel 9 Oct 2009 12:58:49 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I really, REALLY want an Exige. Drove an Elise a few years back and that was brilliant.

Do it!! Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face every time you get in. And don't let "Oooh, they can bite you" stories put you off. I used to commute in mine, including driving it in the snow (on semi-slick tyres) and I was fine. And I'm female and not the best driver in the world!

The downside is that whenever you clean it you will get sticky fingerprints all over it as kids absolutely adore it. Because of the colour, all the kids near us think it's the Batmobile.

I have my Fiat as my 'sensible' car but TBH that's only because it's a 2+2 and it's useful if we want to go out with friends etc. We've taken the Exige across Europe quite a few times and as long as you are good at tetris, there's plenty of room. The Exige is far more fuel-efficient than my Fiat - we get about 30 MPG and that's with 'spirited' driving on a non-standard car (and it's also the lard-arse version with the extra weight of the touring pack) so I think you can get much better MPG than that. Been cheap to run too - tyres aren't cheap (think I spent 500 for 4 corners last time), but everything else is fairly reasonable.

Prices seem to be holding pretty steady too (*touch wood*), not that I'm ever planning to sell her!

Honestly...I would always say go for it. I procrastinated over buying a car for four years and I wish I'd bought one sooner.
  • JuanKerr 9 Oct 2009 13:03:09 36,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I really do want one, and I'll certainly be getting my hands on one at some point. What colour is yours? Is it the Exige S?
  • Aranel 9 Oct 2009 13:08:43 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope, I have the Exige N/A. I wanted to have some visibility out the back of the car as I know I'm not the best of drivers and I wasn't confident enough to have the S where you only get a view of the supercharger in the rear view mirror. Not that you get much vision out of the back of the N/A though...

It's plenty quick enough for me, and if you drive it right, you can beat all the Exige S's round a track ;) I love the second cam too...it's like a mini-turbo punch and sounds awesome when it kicks in :)

Mine's titanium storm aka grey. Ideally I would have loved a krypton green one, but none were for sale. Naturally, the week after I bought it, two krypton green ones came onto the market, doh! I did toy with the idea of a wrap but the grey hides most of the dirt so I'm keeping it as is!
  • pistol 9 Oct 2009 13:11:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    pistol wrote:

Lol, I've gone the opposite way. Currently have an Exige. I don't do sensible. If I have to do 'sensible' and have children, that means I'll just have to buy a second Exige, simple!

Haha..I take enough risks on my push-bike without doing it in a car as well.
  • JuanKerr 9 Oct 2009 13:16:47 36,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    Nope, I have the Exige N/A. I wanted to have some visibility out the back of the car as I know I'm not the best of drivers and I wasn't confident enough to have the S where you only get a view of the supercharger in the rear view mirror. Not that you get much vision out of the back of the N/A though...

It's plenty quick enough for me, and if you drive it right, you can beat all the Exige S's round a track ;) I love the second cam too...it's like a mini-turbo punch and sounds awesome when it kicks in :)

Mine's titanium storm aka grey. Ideally I would have loved a krypton green one, but none were for sale. Naturally, the week after I bought it, two krypton green ones came onto the market, doh! I did toy with the idea of a wrap but the grey hides most of the dirt so I'm keeping it as is!

Nice one. Yeah, I think the supercharged one might be a tad too much for an everyday car - I'd certainly go for the N/A version too I think.

The second cam thing is great isn't it? I remember that on the Civic Type-R and S2000.

Grey, eh? Nice one. Ah, I seem to remember that being your profile pic a while back don't I? Change it back damn you! I think I'd go for white, krypton green or orange (all with black alloys) if I had the choice, although it looks great in all colours.
  • Goban 9 Oct 2009 13:55:36 9,051 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    Seeing as this is turning into a general car chat, does anyone else ever have pains in your accelerator leg during drives over 1.5hrs. I've adjusted the seat in every position known to man and it still happens?

I have arthritis in my right ankle (my accelerator leg, obviously). In most cars I'm fine, but in our Punto, which I drove for more than a few minutes today for the first time, it was very painful. I'm hoping it's just because I'm not used to it yet.
    That's what I'd hoped for me to, unfortunately 1 year on it's the same, bloody Mondeo.

Commiserations on the arthritis, i've got it in most of my main joints and live on a glorious cocktail of painkillers and ant-inflammatories.
  • send_paw_pics 12 Oct 2009 10:33:32 60 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    send_paw_pics wrote:
    hey, thanks! i'll probs get another year out of my well-loved current ride and it's probable I'll go for a Swift after that.

... no sooner do I write the above and then, this weekend, some dignitas-candidate blindsides me, causing an instant write-off. time to ravish my savings, then.

badass.

• Alastair 12 Oct 2009 10:39:04 15,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In other news, the missus wants to buy a little run around. We spotted an 03 plate Fiesta for about 4K. Took it out for a testdrive and she likes it. There were no cloncks or nasty rattles.
    It needs a MOT and service, which I would demand the dealer guy sorted out before we bought it. Are there any key bits that need fixing/replacing based on it's age? e.g. Cam belt or summat else...

• angeltreats 12 Oct 2009 10:45:49 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:

That's what I'd hoped for me to, unfortunately 1 year on it's the same, bloody Mondeo.

Commiserations on the arthritis, i've got it in most of my main joints and live on a glorious cocktail of painkillers and ant-inflammatories.

Cheers mate. I've been driving around a fair bit in this car since I last posted and I haven't had the problem since, perhaps I was just having a bad day *fingers crossed* but we'll see.

Sorry to hear yours is so bad. I had a really bad period of a month or so where I could barely walk at all and then it calmed down, now it's really only as bad as that first thing in the morning or when I've been sat down for a very long time, so I can't complain too much but I have a LOT of sympathy for people who suffer from it.

Alastair - I think it goes more on mileage than the age of the car. The cam belt should be replaced every 80,000 to 100,000 miles afaik. The manual should tell you what needs replacing when anyway. Is the service history available and how many miles are on the clock?
  • Alastair 12 Oct 2009 10:58:47 15,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Alastair - I think it goes more on mileage than the age of the car. The cam belt should be replaced every 80,000 to 100,000 miles afaik. The manual should tell you what needs replacing when anyway. Is the service history available and how many miles are on the clock?

It's done 60K, last serviced at 45K so it definitely needs done.
    I know that VAG engines need the cam belt done at 60K, so guessed other engines might be similar.

• Merlinho 26 Oct 2009 18:24:34 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm looking to trade in my 54 Leon for a newer model, 2-3 years old. Looking on Autotrader currently, the Focus is about 2k cheaper than Leon for an equivalent model, the cheapest Leons with under 20k on the clock are 9kish. The thing is, I really got on well with the Leon, never failed on me and a very good drive. I would probably go for the 1.6L as opposed to the Cupra, although I'd love one, 15k is a bit pricey for me!

I just wonder if it's worth the extra above a Focus though...but then my street cred will fall through the floor with that Ford badge :p

Sorry for the random musing...
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2009 18:37:49 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nowt wrong with a focus, but that market for size car is flooded, so dont just give up at two brands.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Merlinho 26 Oct 2009 18:51:06 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep true, I just don't trust French cars because I've had issues with their reliability. VW is a bit out of range, and the new Civic doesn't do it for me. Mazda 3 may be worth a look I suppose.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2009 19:38:00
    I typed out 1 response which the internet gods deemed unpostable - let me try again:

Have you ever thought about Skoda? No? Me neither.

Bought one about a month ago. Damned good cars these days (I remember the days...etc). VW engines and a decent ride. There is a certain taboo to overcome with buying one from someone of my generation (33) owing to schoolyard jokes.

After 1 month with a Skoda I love it - practical, cheap, semi-decent looking, all modcons etc cannot fault it......yet

/my 2 pennyworth
  • eleven63 14 Dec 2011 12:19:45 1,599 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    *BUMP*

As my ex is off to Wales next summer, along with my sons, I'm going to need a better car than the old banger I have right now (I'm in London - the trip is at least 250 miles each way).

The car should be: Comfortable, economic, quiet, I'm more a fan of larger cars (I find smaller cars just get, er, smaller after a few hours of driving so 5 doors preferably), and have gadgets (bare in mind my current car does not even have a working radio!).

Looking to spend 10-15k depending on what I can get. Not new and not anything 'classic' - just a comfortable, reliable mile eater!

I haven't had to look at choosing a car for about 15 years - I inherited my mums 18 year old Cavalier, which is fine to potter about in, or the odd longer trip, but its old and getting knackered.

So any recommendations please?

Cheers.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• billythekid 14 Dec 2011 12:24:51 11,014 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BMW 3 series diesel.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last