• Page

of 12 First / Last

• souvlaki 5 Aug 2011 22:29:10 717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rossb wrote:
    souvlaki wrote:

Ross is a very nice guy

/ hugs facebook post saying I won a code :)

Thanks. I won't be back in work to give you a code until Monday though. Sorry.

No worries - I am looking forward to playing it though.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Aug 2011 22:40:56 10,681 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    OMG-Z is superb. 3 hours wasted on it tonight when I meant to spend 5 minutes,. I highly recomend it.

Makes it only the 3rd mini I rate as brilliant. (There are quite a fe decent minis, but very few I will carry on playing after a week.)
    Out of interest - what are the other 2?
  • RyanDS 5 Aug 2011 22:50:42 9,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For me:

Vector TD: The only tower defense game I really enjoy. Put far far too many hours into it. (It's lesscomples than most tower defence games, I like the simplicity.)

Telegraph crossword: What can I say? It does what it says on the tin.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Aug 2011 07:44:39 10,681 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might have a look at the first, but'll pass on the second :)

You tried A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks? Easily my favourite Mini!
  • souvlaki 6 Aug 2011 10:54:17 717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I might have a look at the first, but'll pass on the second :)

You tried A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks? Easily my favourite Mini!

Me too - for both points.
  • Progguitarist 6 Aug 2011 11:22:42 10,400 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Age of Zombies, FieldRunners, Boshi Blocks, OMGZ, Space Shooter and Bloons.
  • Doomspoon 6 Aug 2011 11:24:17 2,414 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    rossb wrote:
    souvlaki wrote:

Ross is a very nice guy

/ hugs facebook post saying I won a code :)

Thanks. I won't be back in work to give you a code until Monday though. Sorry.

No worries - I am looking forward to playing it though.

Bah, you with your 11th hour entry into the draw too. Heh, well done on being picked though :)
  • HiddenAway 8 Aug 2011 06:57:26 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it wasn't for my obsession with Dissidia duodecim, I'd be playing OMG-Z a lot more. Really enjoying it so far - even though I don't get how to beat the levels with the cops...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• rossb 8 Aug 2011 11:48:41 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    If it wasn't for my obsession with Dissidia duodecim, I'd be playing OMG-Z a lot more. Really enjoying it so far - even though I don't get how to beat the levels with the cops...

We've got a blog post where we give tips over at http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/post/omg-z-top-tips We've got a few tips for the cops on that one.
  • souvlaki 9 Aug 2011 09:39:55 717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Oh dear - my work is going to suffer today :(

My quick game before bed of OMG lasted a tad more than planned - what can I say, it just cries out for 'just one more go'. I was planning on saving it for my hols next week as well.

So far, I have one ending - the simple one. Upgrading weapons was what got me hooked though.
  • Flying_Pig 9 Aug 2011 15:02:57 10,681 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's next week us non-PS+ plebs are getting OMG-Z isn't it...?

:(
  • HiddenAway 9 Aug 2011 15:06:54 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    It's next week us non-PS+ plebs are getting OMG-Z isn't it...?

:(

Yes, sadly - along with the Fighting Fantasy game :)

• evanac 12 Aug 2011 14:00:09 24 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey everyone,

Our OMG-Z game just got another review in, this time from Pocketgamer: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/OMG-Z/review.asp?c=32205

Hope you like. I'm so chuffed everyone's enjoying it. Keep those comments coming! :D

Have a great weekend.
  • HiddenAway 15 Aug 2011 20:06:37 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't done this in a while...

OMG-Z
    When LJ sent me a code for this (thanks by the way!), I was curious - and yet a bit apprehensive as this isn't the type of game I go for normally. Starting the game up, I read through the tutorials and sort of decided to just go for it. It then managed to hook me (the game, not the zombie) and suddenly I started to rack up the game time and zombie kills.

Only my current commitments to other games delayed my progress but the satisfying shot to take a platinum hand in a level, the upgrades to make the combos even more delightfully evil and the ultimate high of blasting 80+ zombies in 1 shot just makes the game stand out.

The only minor quibbles I have is when trying to shoot the barrels, I sometimes shoot the zombie behind it - even though I'm aiming directly for the barrel and the acid zombies are a bit of a pain, even when upgraded to the max level. However, I can't deny that this is an addictive little game and well worth the asking price when it releases on Wednesday.

Score: JUST BUY IT ALREADY (when it releases)!

• rossb 17 Aug 2011 17:17:56 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    Haven't done this in a while...

OMG-Z
    When LJ sent me a code for this (thanks by the way!), I was curious - and yet a bit apprehensive as this isn't the type of game I go for normally. Starting the game up, I read through the tutorials and sort of decided to just go for it. It then managed to hook me (the game, not the zombie) and suddenly I started to rack up the game time and zombie kills.

Only my current commitments to other games delayed my progress but the satisfying shot to take a platinum hand in a level, the upgrades to make the combos even more delightfully evil and the ultimate high of blasting 80+ zombies in 1 shot just makes the game stand out.

The only minor quibbles I have is when trying to shoot the barrels, I sometimes shoot the zombie behind it - even though I'm aiming directly for the barrel and the acid zombies are a bit of a pain, even when upgraded to the max level. However, I can't deny that this is an addictive little game and well worth the asking price when it releases on Wednesday.

Score: JUST BUY IT ALREADY (when it releases)!

Thanks for the little review :)

As well as OMG-Z we've also got Fighting Fantasy: Talisman of Death out today and for those of you who remember our Mini Cubixx it's sequel Cubixx HD is now out on the PS3 PSN
  • rossb 18 Aug 2011 16:29:51 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've now got some great signed Fighting Fantasy prizes available. Details of how to win can be found at http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/post/win-fabulous-fighting-fantasy-prizes
  • HiddenAway 19 Aug 2011 14:49:55 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick one - how do you save your progress in Talisman of Death?

• RunningMan 19 Aug 2011 14:52:02 2,386 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it any good HA? Quite fancy investing in FF:ToD
  • HiddenAway 19 Aug 2011 15:49:15 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    Is it any good HA? Quite fancy investing in FF:ToD

I'm still learning the ropes myself. Just like OMG-Z, the tutorial was very in-depth but by the time I finished leafing through it, I was near the end of my train journey :p

• rossb 19 Aug 2011 18:10:23 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:

It autosaves. If I remember correctly.
  • HiddenAway 19 Aug 2011 19:13:30 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rossb wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:

Thanks. At my rate though, I won't need to worry - I've died 4 times already :D

• rossb 19 Aug 2011 22:48:53 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    rossb wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:

Thanks. At my rate though, I won't need to worry - I've died 4 times already :D

Always load your save anyway as you keep all your log book progress if you do that.
  • RyanDS 20 Aug 2011 17:42:40 9,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okay, Laughing Jackal reviews:

OMG-Z: Love this, however I completed it 100% in 2 days. And was then left dissappointed at the lack of content. It lacks the Angry Birds difficulty which is both good and bad. Whereas I spent days on one or two angry birds levels trying to get those 3 stars I found it quite easy to platimum every OMG level once i got the upgrades. I thought at that point I would leave it, but I've since reset the game twice, starting from scratch is quite theraputic and I am finding it to have more long term fun than I would have expected.

A solid 9/10 (After a month? of play)

Fighting Fantasy: Love / Hate this. As some people may have noticed I have been dreaming of this for ages, I LOVE gamebooks, Lone Wolf for Preference, Fighting Fantasy as an aletrnative.

+This works much better than the books. No cheating, a log book and good graphics make this AWESOME TO THE MAX. In fact I think this may be the first FF book I have ever completed without cheating or at least fudging a dice roll.
    + It is perfectly faithfull, none of this reimaging bullshit, this is what I grew up with and loved, warts and all.
    +They picked a great book to start with.
    +I collect the gamebooks. I lost all mine years ago, so if anyone has any FF books lying around they want to get rid of, PM me and I'd love them. (I could buy them all on ebay, but half the fun is tracking them down.) I have around 20 of them on my bookshelf at the moment, and am trying to get the rest.

-I completed it on 3rd try, in maybe 2 hours. Which actually really pissed me off. This was lucky as hell, as anyone who has played these books know it is all about trial and error, and I managed to luck my way through quickly.
    -It cost me 25. I have made a pact with my wife not to use my credit or debit card for 1 month as we desperately need to save money, as such I had to somehow get a PSN voucher to buy this, which meant goodbye Dragon Quest VI, Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3 to trade in for a 25 PSN voucher.

Not really + or -: I like the alternate dice rolling stuff, but after an hour or so I went to pure dice rolling. Give me old school over fancy pants choosing tiles or something. I do like that they have made the effort to include alternate options though.

+&-: I would have liked a "well done" screen at the end or something. I would have liked that, but then again I would probably have moaned about that since it wouldn't have been true to the source.

In the end I give the game:
    8/10

But more importantly I give the idea and execution 10/10 and really hope that this is enough of a success to get Laughing Jackal to do the full FF series.

Edit: And just to point out, any complaints are minor, this is a fucking MINI, that costs the same as a pint of beer, for 3.49 it is less than the price of a 2nd hand copy of the book on ebay. Just get out and buy it all you cheapskate bastards so they get inspired to make more!!!
  • HiddenAway 20 Aug 2011 22:10:53 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^
    This was the review that mattered really ;)

I'm about 27% through the book. I like deliberately dying just to get that path out the way. It's also good to see the paths converging too. I think a "back to the top" button or function would have been nice as sometimes I do mistakenly press the down key to go straight to the options open to me and miss the page. the scroll back up is fairly slow after that.

Other than that, I think it's really good. I'll probably spend more time on it this week as long as the person behind me isn't listening to Lady Gaga's Papparazzi (nothing destroys a mood more :p)

• Flying_Pig 20 Aug 2011 22:17:34 10,681 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OMG-Z bought!
  • rossb 21 Aug 2011 10:23:53 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    But more importantly I give the idea and execution 10/10 and really hope that this is enough of a success to get Laughing Jackal to do the full FF series.

Thanks for the reviews. Just to say while we'll be doing a proper announcement soon we've already started work on some more Fighting Fantasy games :)
  • RyanDS 21 Aug 2011 10:31:36 9,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Awesome.

One suggestion I'd also make is that you do Lone Wolf. Joe Dever has very kindly released the works into the public domain (in a limited manner) and has allowed someone to make DS ports of the books for free. I'm sure if Laughing Jackal approached him he would be willing to allow PSP versions. (Or at least I can dream he would.)

For more details of the DS versions, plus for all the books online that you can play for free see here: it genuinely is awesome.

http://www.projectaon.org/
  • rossb 22 Aug 2011 12:51:14 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks. I've passed your information along.
  • HiddenAway 1 Sep 2011 14:47:39 14,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fighting Fantasy book 2 is revealed to be...

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

• rossb 1 Sep 2011 15:22:17 69 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the link. We're going to be dropping some codes for a few of our games at 9:00 PM UK time this Friday over at http://twitter.com/#!/Laughing_Jackal
  • Page

of 12 First / Last