The Official PSP Minis thread.

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • toy_brain 1 Oct 2009 20:52:07 1,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right then, seeings as this PSP Mini's stuff has all started, and there are a bunch on the store and absolutely no reviews to help people decide what to buy, I thought I'd create an official thread where any brave/rich soul can post their thoughts on what they bought.
    With the games being so small and 'throwawy' it seems silly to have a seperate thread for each.

Here are my 2 to get us started.
    Pinball Fantasies.
    Good: Runs smooth, graphics sound and gameplay all seem spot on from what I remember of the game all those years ago, plays great with the screen flipped on its side for maximum visibility. 4 tables for 4 is fine value.

Bad: Its a bit dated, and the ball physics are no longer up there with the latest pinball sims.

Alien Havoc
    Good: Simple gameplay (navigate maze, grab cow, run back to UFO with it while avoiding angry farmers), graphics are nice in a nostalgic kinda way, main tune is rather catchy, some depth and stratergy to how you approach levels.

Bad: Horrendus slowdown when one sprite too many enters the screen, have gotten to level 6 and so far no save option. Hmmmm.
  • Whizzo 1 Oct 2009 20:53:21 43,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are there demos or do you have to stump up the cash without trying them?

This space left intentionally blank.

• toy_brain 1 Oct 2009 20:54:12 1,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You buy blind. Hence me thinking a thread like this might be useful.
  • SeesThroughAll 1 Oct 2009 21:01:45 1,689 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 toy_brain, I wish I could vote you up for your good initiative.

I also considered Pinball Fantasies, but decided to wait for more people reactions to it.

I did buy Tetris however, and it was as good and simple as I wanted it. :)
  • Whizzo 1 Oct 2009 21:03:26 43,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah good idea indeed.

• Whizzo 1 Oct 2009 21:03:28 43,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Double post.

Move along, nothing to see!

• GeeMacca 1 Oct 2009 21:09:16 2,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've bought Tetris and Field Runners, will report back asap.
  • Murbal 1 Oct 2009 21:31:11 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Come on GM! I wanna know about Field Runners!
  • X201 1 Oct 2009 21:49:33 15,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought Pinball Fantasies. Great game.
    (Would type more but am on PSP)
  • PhoenixFlames 1 Oct 2009 21:52:47 8,900 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:

Mmm...web browsing still sucks rancid dog cock then.

/hugs Touch.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• HiddenAway 2 Oct 2009 00:01:36 14,859 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Super thread. Expect advertising to come from the PSP Store updates thread when I eventually get the lot formatted ;-)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• mwmoney 2 Oct 2009 08:41:03 19 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kahoots
    Good: Simple Lemmings clone with some nice touches. You have to guide your Kahoot around simple levels by switching the blocks he(?)'s walking on, which include trap doors, spikes etc. Collect a cherry bun in each level and there are some awards to achieve.

Bad: Tis very simple (the background looks like wallpaper) and it's a bit rough round the edges.

Overall at 2.49, I'm happy.
  • GeeMacca 2 Oct 2009 08:56:24 2,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tetris
    Much as you'd expect, good game, some different game modes, but nothing groundbreaking, but its Tetris!
    8/10

Field Runners
    Awesome game, very well executed with good controls and great gameplay. Couldn't stop playing it after I started!
    9/10
  • Murbal 2 Oct 2009 08:58:11 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GeeMacca wrote:
    Tetris
    Much as you'd expect, good game, some different game modes, but nothing groundbreaking, but its Tetris!
    8/10

Field Runners
    Awesome game, very well executed with good controls and great gameplay. Couldn't stop playing it after I started!
    9/10

Nice one, I'll pick up Field Runners today.
  • dog2_99 2 Oct 2009 08:59:15 129 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i have field runners for my iPhone and it is very good.
  • X201 2 Oct 2009 09:10:16 15,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    X201 wrote:

Mmm...web browsing still sucks rancid dog cock then.

/hugs Touch.

Browsing is ok, Its the replying thats a pain.

Especially when certain websites *cough* EG *cough* don't work with the PSP. I tried to reply to your post last night only to find after I'd laboriously typed my message that EG doesn't show the bloody submit button on the PSP

• jonsaan 2 Oct 2009 10:15:46 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd like to elaborate on Tetris a little. It is really very well done.

It has the Tetris music! Albeit slightly tweaked.
    It has achievements.
    It has full stats for play time number of 2,3,4,5 lines etc. Back to back tetris and stuff.
    It has a ton of alternative modes that unlock as you play.
    It has an overall completion percentage for the whole game.
    There is no daft infitinite spin cheat like the DS Tetris. You can flip for a while but it locks you down after a few spins.
    It has a tutorial mode where you can watch a couple of Tetris pros doing their thing. Frightening!

All this stuff really helps the replay value.

My only gripe is that the play area could have been bigger. The psp has the best screen going so I like to see it maximised like Puzzle Quest. However, it is crystal clear so it doesn't cause any issues whilst playing and it's not so small you have to squint, it just could have been a little better. I would also have liked to see a screen flip mode for similar reasons.

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 2 Oct 2009 10:17:38 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, the minis section could really benefit from screenshots and user submitted reviews. Cough...like the app store...cough...

FCUTA!

• toy_brain 2 Oct 2009 12:13:22 1,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A little bit more on Alien Havoc as I put in a bit more time on it last night.

Level count is 20 (I think).
    Still no savepoints even by the time I'd gotten to level 11, so its a game designed to be played like Dark Mist - in one sitting.
    Personally I think the gameplay is just fine. Its a fun little concept, I like the infinate/wraparound levels which is something I havent seen in ages. I also have yet to tire of stunning farmers by throwing a cow at them.... then grabbing the cow again and nicking off with it, like some cheeky little alien chav.

Really wish they'd included savepoints though.
  • Murbal 2 Oct 2009 16:40:57 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Purchased Kahoots and Field Runners. Download tonight...
  • Super_Zee 2 Oct 2009 16:46:00 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Not only no demos, but no screenshots either which is frankly ridiculous.
  • jonsaan 2 Oct 2009 16:47:49 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is, completely retarded. Especially silly is that some of those games have a lite version on the app store for you to try before you buy. Bloons for example.

FCUTA!

• INSOMANiAC 2 Oct 2009 20:26:30 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Super_Zee wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Not only no demos, but no screenshots either which is frankly ridiculous.

Yes, they do have screenshots

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Super_Zee 2 Oct 2009 20:29:30 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strange, I looked at many of them yesterday and none had a single screenshot. Only one had a preview of any kind - Fieldrunners.
  • HiddenAway 2 Oct 2009 23:57:12 14,859 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vempire
    Good: Err, I suppose it's nice looking

Bad: Quite dull. Simplistic. HUGE slowdown when a monster suddenly pops up on your screen to distract you. Very easy.

Not really worth 3.99 but I'll be happy to be overruled. Just tell me a better way to play :p.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Murbal 3 Oct 2009 20:00:48 21,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Field Runners is f***ing awesome. That is all.
  • JamieR 4 Oct 2009 00:36:39 32 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought the Sparta game I'm very impressed with it I'd recommend it.
  • sickpuppysoftware 4 Oct 2009 00:56:38 1,320 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pinball Fantasies - As per the amiga/pc originals. Tables a little simple by today's standards but still fun for short bursts. Portrait mode is superb.

I think I might try that sparta game next.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• uiruki 4 Oct 2009 01:18:57 3,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Pinball Fantasies - As per the amiga/pc originals. Tables a little simple by today's standards but still fun for short bursts. Portrait mode is superb.

I think I might try that sparta game next.

Don't - it is a joke.
  • toy_brain 4 Oct 2009 16:37:41 1,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mwmoney wrote:
    Kahoots
    Good: Simple Lemmings clone with some nice touches. You have to guide your Kahoot around simple levels by switching the blocks he(?)'s walking on, which include trap doors, spikes etc. Collect a cherry bun in each level and there are some awards to achieve.

Bad: Tis very simple (the background looks like wallpaper) and it's a bit rough round the edges.

Overall at 2.49, I'm happy.
    I bought this last night, its awesome.
    Presentation is charmingly childish and silly if a little rough here and there (you can sometimes see 'seams' between a sprite and the background, but its nothing that disrupts normal gameplay - in fact it only happens in menus). The learning curve seems spot on with the 20 levels I've done so far being perfectly pitched, and all-in-all its just a really nice little puzzle game for less than the price of a pint.
    Highly recomended!

Moving on.....

Breakquest
    Oh dear, this one is a bit of a stinker.
    I played the PC version of Breakquest waaay back in 2006 and it was a great arkanoid-style game, the PSP version however, is a pretty shoddy port. Mostly the controls are a mess. Using the D-pad your paddle actually accelerates when moving, unless you also press the 'speedup' button which makes it whizz across the screen. In theory this should mean you can both fine-tune your position or cover loads of distance really fast.
    In practice it means your paddle is either stupidly sluggish, or uncontrolably fast. It doesnt help that both bat and ball are very small on the screen, making fine control even more essential.
    You can also use the anallogue nub which, after some adjusting of the sensitivity, is a more viable option, but its never as good as any other regular console arkanoid clone kicking about.
    Also the display is stretched and squashed to fit the 16x9 screen, and it sufferers from slowdown when things get busy.
    Still, nice music.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous