Blue Dragon vs Lost Odyssey Page 31

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• SirDespard 8 Apr 2012 10:04:57 121 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Need to get into Lost Odyssey, it's been sat in the to play pile for ages. Think I traded Blue Dragon in after finishing it and then grinding until I'd had enough, never got had the patience to get the full 1000, topped out about 915 or so. Blue Dragon was enjoyable enough, but I enjoyed the much derided Enchanted Arms too and The Last Remnant.
    Not really been any JRPGs of note for a while, didn't get into FF13 and other than Ni No Kuni for PS3 not much on the horizon
  • Psychotext 13 Apr 2012 21:38:15 53,930 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lots of updates... I fear your brother may be as broken as you V.D
  • SolidSCB 13 Apr 2012 21:39:30 6,562 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He loves that boss music :D
  • Vice.Destroyer 15 Apr 2012 13:41:08 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    He loves that boss music :D
    What's even more upsetting than that is that he is a fan of Marumaro. This is not what I had in mind when I flew down to Uganda. I think this is even more upsetting than finding out that he prefers Lost Odyssey (there is no word on that yet. This is just a hypothetical thought).

I can't say it enough. He. Likes. Marumaro. I think that Psycho is right. My brother is broken.
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Apr 2012 13:46:23 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you give him FFXIII too? If he likes Marumaro I dread to think what he will make of Vanille.

Orgasm girl ringtone?
  • Vice.Destroyer 15 Apr 2012 13:48:46 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RazorMaaaan wrote:
    Lost Odyssey is one of the best games ive ever played, i gave up on Blue Dragon after half an hour
    I should also say something else. Now, I understand that Blue Dragon is not to everybodys taste. And I can understand that games can be that bad, that after a little bit of gaming, you just say fuck it, life is too short. But what was it about Blue Dragon that was so terrible, that you were not only able to forgive in LO, but also made you think that LO is the best game you have ever played?

I mean, looking at your gamertag, I notice a bunch of games that are better than both BD and LO. But you have barely touched them. Batman: AA? 3 achievements. Virtua Tennis 4? 3 Achievements. Skyrim? 3 achievements! And there there are a bunch of other gaming highlights from this generation that have been barely touched by you on your gamertag.

I think that you don't seem to give games enough time to show their charms.
  • Vice.Destroyer 15 Apr 2012 13:50:13 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Did you give him FFXIII too? If he likes Marumaro I dread to think what he will make of Vanille.

Orgasm girl ringtone?
    There will be some more games bought in the next 12 months that I will send him through. Depending on how he gets on with LO and BD, I may send him FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Amongst others.
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Apr 2012 14:04:41 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The reason I gave up on Blue Dragon should be obvious to everyone that has tried to play it. (Accept Vice's bro it seems).

MARU-FUCKING-MARO
  • Vice.Destroyer 15 Apr 2012 14:08:08 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, I forgot to post this here. Since a bunch of you have been so supportive of my calling to raise awareness of Blue Dragon. Here are some of my pictures from my trip to Uganda.

It's a Facebook link, but you don't have to be on Facebook to see them. I also think that they shouldn't be too boring. :)
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2012 14:46:09 53,930 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get it... you look relatively normal, and yet... there's the Blue Dragon love proving otherwise.
  • evild_edd 17 May 2012 11:15:40 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    If you have bought a second hand Lost Odyssey it is imperative that you install disc 4 before you start playing. This disc often does not work. So I would advise checking it is ok before playing the first 3 discs!!
    !!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go. Is it a case of the disc no loading at all? Will be hard for me to check otherwise without a save file...

My LO experience is already feeling somewhat epic and I haven't even started it yet :/
    If you have a 360 with a hard drive you can install the disc. If the disc installs ok then the disc is fine. If it aborts with an error then begins the disc boiling. (Fortunately I never had to do this but it is well documented in the LO thread).

It is worth installing all games you buy just to check the discs are ok.
    DISASTER HAS STRUCK!

Having finally cleared some of my gaming backlog I thought I'd get on the go with Lost Oddysee. Following PazJohnMitch's advice I tried to install disc 4 - I inserted the disc, 360 makes huge amount of noise (more than usual) trying to read the disc. It recognises that it's a game disc but can't recognise the game let alone actually giving me the option to install it.

Can only assume that my disc 4 is borked :0(

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed? Perhaps I should just take this as an omen and not bother with LO at all....?

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Armoured_Bear 17 May 2012 11:21:28 10,563 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's a trick with pouring boiling water over it that worked for me.
    Stick it in a bowl of boiling water for a minute or so, let it dry then try.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• evild_edd 17 May 2012 11:30:33 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear: is this a trick to ensure my disc is truly, properly ruined? :S

Anyone know whether - if I can obtain a working copy to install - I will be able to run the fourth disc with one of the others inserted in the machine?

Why look, it's a blog:

• PazJohnMitch 17 May 2012 11:37:23 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd

Armoured Bear's method is well documented. It appears something leaches off the disc 4 slip case and coats the disc over time. This can then be removed with boiling water.

Fortunately I did not have to do this, although my disc 4 was very susceptible to game freezing crashes.
  • evild_edd 17 May 2012 11:48:35 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sweet, I'll give it a try - wish me luck! :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 17 May 2012 13:38:10 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, whatdyaknow - it only went and worked!!! :D

@Armoured_Bear - my sincerest apologies for ever doubting you good sir!

Took two separate boiling attempts: the first was enough to get the disc recognised but the install stuck at 40%; the second boil-a-thon allowed me to complete the install at the expense of partially melting the disc's front cover image :/

All 4 discs installed taking up a whopping 21.7gig of space on my HDD. TBH, the whole process has been so exhasuting I almost feel like I've had an epic adventure without needing to play the game. Might just not bother now ;0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• Vice.Destroyer 18 May 2012 12:47:18 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /engaging troll mode

That sounds like more excitement than the game proper will give you

/troll mode off
  • evild_edd 18 May 2012 13:26:54 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer

LOL, I'll find out soon enough - intend on making a start this weekend :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• PazJohnMitch 18 May 2012 13:30:16 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    /engaging troll mode

That sounds like more excitement than the game proper will give you

/troll mode off
    Even getting the game to work is more interesting than Blue Dragon!
  • PenguinJim 18 May 2012 13:43:55 5,824 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I spent 20 minutes boiling the last Blue Dragon disc trying to make it NOT work.
  • MadCaddy13 18 May 2012 13:50:47 1,879 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lost Odyssey is one of the best games on the 360 IMO
  • evild_edd 24 May 2012 15:09:43 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought I'd post a cheeky update on my LO experience to date. No spoilers from me (just in case)

I'm about 15hrs in and have just progressed to the second disc. Very much enjoying it so far, much more so than I expected to. The ramdom battles have only annoyed me on a couple of occasions, usually whilst I'm backtracking to find collectables. Worth stressing again that JRPGs are not typically my bag.

I like the fact that it's remained fairly linear so faras the combination of open worlds and random battles can often leave me feeling lost and like I'm wasting too many hours. The linear structure (so far) has always made it feel as though I'm progressing.

Storywise, the dream sequences are excellent side stories, all exploring the themes of life, death, and the imbalance of immortality. Some interesting ideas in the

My only concern is that the two kids recently introduced - Cooke and Mack? - are going to get on my nerves. They've not been too bad so far, though another 45 hrs in their company (assuming the discs are equal length) may well test my patience beyond breaking point.

Quick question: Do you ever need to swap back to previous discs or am I clear to delete the installed data as I go?

Why look, it's a blog:

• King_Edward 24 May 2012 15:16:53 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You shouldn't need to swap back discs at any point iirc.

The kids are annoying, but if you've put up with Jansen this far you should be fine. They're no worse.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 May 2012 15:17:31 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You never go back to previous discs. So feel free to uninstall them.

If you think those kids are annoying do not play Blue Dragon
  • evild_edd 24 May 2012 15:23:58 3,064 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Despite everything, including the character himself, I've strangely warmed to Jansen - a little light relief to offset Kaim's irrepressible misery.

Don't think the kids have been helped by the plot much so far. All they've really been able to do so far is cry a lot over the death of their mother. Hopefully they'll progress as the plot develops.

Cheers for the advice on the discs - I'll uninstall the first when I'm next on the box :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• Vice.Destroyer 24 May 2012 17:24:34 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another LO lover? Man, I wish there was an authority to report deviants like you to. It's obscene and criminal.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 May 2012 22:07:17 7,989 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer

Do you have that feeling that you are the only sane person left?

That everyone else is mad...
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 May 2012 22:48:33 5,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

That's exactly what it feels like, Dr.
  • Folant 25 May 2012 00:05:02 1,161 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I like the kids in LO. Purely based on that they're kids who act and talk like kids, rather than kids trying to be adults in every other game.

Plus; That death scene absolutely broke my heart. Have to love them after that.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• chrismikehunt 28 May 2012 17:24:16 7 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved LO. Seriously holding out on the hopes of them announcing a LO2. I always preferred the 'traditional' turn based combat on those RPG's.

I tried Blue dragon but just couldn't get into it. Felt like it was being aimed at an age group I was not part of.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last