Blue Dragon vs Lost Odyssey Page 29

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• King_Edward 23 Mar 2012 10:22:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:

As long as it doesn't suffer the curse of frequent random battles, whining central characters, and I can rattle through it in 15-20 hours I should be alright.
    Oh dear...
  • Psychotext 23 Mar 2012 10:30:37 53,779 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could be worse, it could have MaruMaro.
  • Lexx87 23 Mar 2012 10:32:07 20,869 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:

As long as it doesn't suffer the curse of frequent random battles, whining central characters, and I can rattle through it in 15-20 hours I should be alright.
    Oh dear...
    Central characters are excellent in my opinion, as well as the storybook pieces, some of which actually brought a tear. Random battles though...can't help you with that one.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Vice.Destroyer 23 Mar 2012 10:32:29 5,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Just discovered this thread and been chuckling at VD / Psycho battle that's been raging now for two and a half years(!)

I recently popped in to my local Gamestation to pick the meat from the Game group's festering carcass; on a whim I picked-up a second hand copy of LO for 1.99. It's a bit of a punt as I'm not a massive JRPG fan. As long as it doesn't suffer the curse of frequent random battles, whining central characters, and I can rattle through it in 15-20 hours I should be alright.

I've never played BD so can offer no meaningful comparison. However, the mere fact is that I don't own a copy of BD whereas I now do own a copy of LO. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that counts as a victory for LO... ;0)
    Newcomers to this thread always make me a little hopeful that someone will get converted. I feel like the video game equivalent of a Jehovas Witness. Which makes it very hard to see people gravitate towards LO, when coming into this thread. It makes me angry and want to curse their entire family tree. Irrational, I know.

But looking at all the thigs that Evil_edd doesn't like in games makes me think that he will get punished sooner rather than later.

Sorry. But give some thought to trying BD once you have suffered through LO.
    Enjoy.
  • Lexx87 23 Mar 2012 10:35:09 20,869 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, 'suffer' through LO then give BD a go and you'll realise, even though you don't like this style of JRPG, how much arse BD is.

Or should I say front-arse.

Edited by Lexx87 at 10:36:36 23-03-2012

Speak the truth hussy!

• Psychotext 23 Mar 2012 10:52:29 53,779 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Newcomers to this thread always make me a little hopeful that someone will get converted. I feel like the video game equivalent of a Jehovas Witness.
    I wouldn't worry about it... I mean statistically you're bound to find a few nutters for every hundred or so rational people.

:cool:
  • evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 12:22:39 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:

Oh dear...
    Central characters are excellent in my opinion, as well as the storybook pieces, some of which actually brought a tear. Random battles though...can't help you with that one.
    :S

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I've heard such good things about the polt, however, that I'm hoping it'll drive me through the random battle pain. Had a horrid experience with FFVII which ruined the title for me. Got all the way through to final disc as quickly as possible, then realised that I hadn't levelled up enough for the final battles and didn't have an earlier save to fall back on. Think I lost about 50 hours at least on that.

Think I need to get over that incident (it's only been something like 15 years!) and give such titles another go. LO will make or break my future for the JRPG.....it best be a good plot!

I'll let you know my thoughts when I've had a chance to start it, before which I have this quick little game to start and whizz through, a little title called Dark Souls....

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 12:24:35 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:

Newcomers to this thread always make me a little hopeful that someone will get converted. I feel like the video game equivalent of a Jehovas Witness. Which makes it very hard to see people gravitate towards LO, when coming into this thread. It makes me angry and want to curse their entire family tree. Irrational, I know.

But looking at all the thigs that Evil_edd doesn't like in games makes me think that he will get punished sooner rather than later.
    Cheers mate! ;0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 12:27:43
    evild_edd wrote:
    Had a horrid experience with FFVII which ruined the title for me. Got all the way through to final disc as quickly as possible, then realised that I hadn't levelled up enough for the final battles and didn't have an earlier save to fall back on. Think I lost about 50 hours at least on that.
    How is that even...what?!

What were you doing for the 50 hours, breeding chocobos? :D
  • evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 12:44:04 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Boab

It might have only been 30hrs, thinking about it. I didn't really get the idea of levelling in those days, so rather than seek out tougher enemies to stat build I rushed through the second half. Not sure why I felt the need to rush as I was enjoying it, but the lost hours were enough to put me off going back through it once again.

I'll give LO a decent go, but if it's not 'clicking' after 10hrs or so I'll just call it quits. Same goes for Dark Souls as well.

Why look, it's a blog:

• RedSparrows 23 Mar 2012 12:52:32 21,969 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LO is well built in the sense you're never under-levelled.

It's a very traditional JRPG, but has some lovely moments.

Might replay it actually.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 12:56:18
    Yeah I have a hankering for some LO again. Might fire the old beast up once I finish FF13-2 which I'm actually really enjoying against all expectation
  • King_Edward 23 Mar 2012 13:49:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    LO is well built in the sense you're never under-levelled.
    You can't be over-levelled either, which annoyed me. If I have the patience to grind for hours on end I damn well wanna feel the effects.

@evild_edd
    It's not really possible to be under-levelled in FFVII. It's more likely you mucked uo your Materia, which is easily done on a first playthrough (did it my self).
  • evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 14:04:11 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @King_Edward: Ah, quite possibly. You'll have to forgive me, I was playing it back on release so many years ago. I'd just reached a point where I couldn't proceed with the set-up I had, and with no earlier saves was left facing an entire replay which I couldn't really be arsed with.

Good tip on not being able to be over-levelled - I won't waste any time on grinding in that case, and just crack straight on through the game :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 14:08:09
    You can be overlevelled for most of the game if you want to be.
  • andywilkie35 23 Mar 2012 14:10:10 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure I managed to be over levelled, I spent hours in a certain location grinding to learn all the abilities etc!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• King_Edward 23 Mar 2012 14:20:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sure the amount of exp you get gets cut near enough nothing when you hit a certain level in each area. Could be wrong, it's been a while.
  • andywilkie35 23 Mar 2012 14:21:34 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah I see. I went to a..."side area" (for want of a better description) at one point and just stayed there for ages.

Could be wrong also as it was ages ago!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 14:26:38
    Pretty much every location you unlock that isn't your next destination is an area you can grind in.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Mar 2012 16:47:02 7,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have bought a second hand Lost Odyssey it is imperative that you install disc 4 before you start playing. This disc often does not work. So I would advise checking it is ok before playing the first 3 discs!!
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 17:19:42
    Yeah 100% great advice. I had to return several and offer the cheeky bastard owner of a shop a fight to get another one swapped.

Seems there was a huge batch of faulty discs.
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Mar 2012 17:23:52 5,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I should commiserate, but that just seems too funny. A game I hate punishing its patrons by refusing to reveal how the game finishes. Too funny.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 17:25:30
    One thing Blue Derp has in its favour, it only had three.
  • King_Edward 23 Mar 2012 17:27:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BD could've had the same problem, but no-one would know.
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Mar 2012 17:56:01 5,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It could have had the same problem. But it doesn't. You know how I know? Literally all the BD players EVER, post in this thread.

(not sure if that is good or bad)
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Mar 2012 20:36:06 7,779 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All 12 people that have had the misfortune of knowing who ****ing Marumaro is.
  • evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 22:37:53 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    If you have bought a second hand Lost Odyssey it is imperative that you install disc 4 before you start playing. This disc often does not work. So I would advise checking it is ok before playing the first 3 discs!!
    !!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go. Is it a case of the disc no loading at all? Will be hard for me to check otherwise without a save file...

My LO experience is already feeling somewhat epic and I haven't even started it yet :/

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 23 Mar 2012 22:40:20 3,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    All 12 people that have had the misfortune of knowing who ****ing Marumaro is.
    Thanks to this thread, I YouTubed Marumaro. A little sick came up in to my mouth.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Vice.Destroyer 24 Mar 2012 00:33:10 5,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just to clarify, is that a bit of sick of happiness? Or the other one.
  • Psychotext 24 Mar 2012 00:59:10 53,779 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could be the third kind.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last