Microsoft Security Essentials (its new and freež)

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • smugla 30 Sep 2009 09:59:43 2,074 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Microsoft has released its free Security Essentials anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to provide real-time protection for home PCs against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/default.aspx?mkt=en-gb#dlbutton

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/first-look-microsoft-security-essentials-impresses.ars
  • mikew1985 30 Sep 2009 10:03:35 12,655 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting, If this is good, will use it for my Windows 7 install in a couple of weeks.
  • Psychotext 30 Sep 2009 10:12:11 53,933 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No doubt they'll be sued for anticompetive practices, even though we desperately need stuff like this built in by default to stop the propagation of viruses / worms / trojans on the computers of idiots.

=/
  • Deleted user 30 September 2009 10:43:09
    dunno, I think we need sandboxing and application resetting personally. The problem is architectural.

antivirus is a pointless arms race that only really puts money in AV writers and spammers pockets.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 30 Sep 2009 10:54:50 1,544 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They could do with writing operating systems that don't contain so many holes. That way, there would be no need for anti-virus software.

Easier said than done I suppose.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Sep 2009 10:57:31 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll repost this here from the 'free antivirus' thread given that nobody answered the question there. :-)

I was quite interested in this because I have a few older computers which struggle a bit under the weight of things like AVG, etc.

But checking their website it says it requires 1gb of RAM to run under XP! 1gb? For a bloody virus checker? What the hell? Is that right?
  • Deleted user 30 September 2009 11:01:36
    probably 1GB to not make a noticeable difference to performance. The product won't be using that 1GB

I have XP here on my work desktop with 512MB and I frequently go into swap. Symantec AV is using 120MB of that, lol.
  • Psychotext 30 Sep 2009 11:02:30 53,933 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Currently using 5mb on my machine (running full scan).
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Sep 2009 11:05:32 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm tempted to try it just to see if it makes a difference. My craptop only has 512mb, though.
  • oceanmotion 30 Sep 2009 11:08:34 15,803 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MSE is ace. Been using it since the beta and no problems at all. Unobtrusive and just gets on with it. Haven't noticed any performance hiccups either, smooth sailing. The best I've used since the old NOD32 version 2.7. About time Microsoft. Hopefully less people will be stuck with the awful alternatives that are like a virus themselves.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Sep 2009 11:22:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had to remove Norton from my mother-in-law's new computer. It was not pleasant.
  • JonFE 30 Sep 2009 11:22:27 1,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up smugla, I will install it on my home PC this evening...

EDIT: @ Blerk: Removal of most AV programs is not pleasant, but I guess Norton and McAfee top them all :|
  • Deleted user 30 September 2009 11:36:00
    If your computer is powerful enough and has the virtualisation stuff in its CPU, I'd recommend just making a virtual machine for your critical stuff like bank and shopping transactions, and putting your AV in there.
  • Psychotext 30 Sep 2009 13:47:16 53,933 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The full scan takes a while on this... it's been going for three hours on my machine.
  • Darren 30 Sep 2009 19:19:44 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just downloaded and installed this; it's currently running a quick scan having updated the virus definition tables.

Can this be used to replace AVG Free Edition, i.e. does it offer real-time protection and email scanning too?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• seasidebaz 30 Sep 2009 21:47:26 6,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    I've just downloaded and installed this; it's currently running a quick scan having updated the virus definition tables.

Can this be used to replace AVG Free Edition, i.e. does it offer real-time protection and email scanning too?

Who cares? It's free. You get what you pay for etc.
  • Onny 30 Sep 2009 22:10:15 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    No doubt they'll be sued for anticompetive practices...

Only if they put it in as standard on all new Win7 installations.

Anyway, this is nice. Very little OS overheads, and it should be frequently updated. I think it may replace AVG as my free AV software of choice.
  • Darren 1 Oct 2009 07:56:43 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:
    Darren wrote:

It was just a question, seasidebaz. Besides your 'logic' doesn't make sense as AVG Free Edition was also completely free and cost zero pence (hard to believe I know but it was) yet it contained an email scanner among other things. :p

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 1 Oct 2009 08:02:52 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Anyway, this is nice. Very little OS overheads, and it should be frequently updated. I think it may replace AVG as my free AV software of choice.

I agree. It seems small and unintrusive, only using CPU cycles when you open a folder with hundreds of files inside (such as my Backup folders), even then it seems quicker than AVG to scan the contents. A quick scan takes around 12 minutes on my system to scan 80,000+ files across three partitions of 1 TB in size and doesn't seem to use any CPU resouces according to TaskManager (although Windows Antimalware was going mad!). Not bad. :)

I've uninstalled AVG while I'm trying this to avoid conflicts but so far I'm seeing no reason to reinstall it so I may just stick with MSE for the time being.

Edit: The Security Essentials uses just 9 MB on my system at most but the Antimalware app consumes 72 MB so it's perhaps not as resource light as we thought. The MsMpEng.exe file is a part of the Security Essentials package I believe.

• Blerk Moderator 1 Oct 2009 08:37:09 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it seems to be eating around 60mb of my machine so it's not nearly as lightweight as I thought it would be. That said, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll roll with it for a while and see how we go.
  • seasidebaz 1 Oct 2009 09:57:54 6,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    seasidebaz wrote:
    Darren wrote:

It was just a question, seasidebaz. Besides your 'logic' doesn't make sense as AVG Free Edition was also completely free and cost zero pence (hard to believe I know but it was) yet it contained an email scanner among other things. :p

Sorry, I was grumpy yesterday and I don't know why :)

I like MSE. It runs in the same process as Windows Defender or something which is why it doesn't use many resources. I was using AVG Free as well but it's got worse over the years, and I started to get sick of Windows telling me that AVG had turned itself off (meaning that it couldn't auto-update and needed a manual update instead)
  • Darren 1 Oct 2009 11:15:38 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does MSE auto-update? I ask because there's no setting to enable it and each time I manually updated it downloaded a new definition table. It doesn't seem to auto-update on my system and I have Windows Update set to auto download and install updates. I'm using Vista SP2 (64-bit).

• seasidebaz 1 Oct 2009 11:23:09 6,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It should do. It should auto-update at the same time as Windows Defender does. I don't think it updates very regularly though.
  • Darren 1 Oct 2009 11:52:42 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:
    It should do. It should auto-update at the same time as Windows Defender does. I don't think it updates very regularly though.

Well in that case it seems the virus definition tables are likely updated more frequently than Windows Update picks up on then. I manually updated the tables THREE times last night and none of them appeared in Windows Update.

• PearOfAnguish 1 Oct 2009 12:08:19 7,202 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does it check web pages for nasty things?
  • kalel 1 Oct 2009 12:15:40 86,917 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You might as well use it to replace AVG seeing as AVG basically doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2009 12:16:20
    Darren wrote:
    seasidebaz wrote:

Well in that case it seems the virus definition tables are likely updated more frequently than Windows Update picks up on then. I manually updated the tables THREE times last night and none of them appeared in Windows Update.

This is the case for most antivirus apps, of course.
  • Darren 1 Oct 2009 22:50:21 8,776 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, MSE seems to deactivate Windows Defender as I noticed it was disabled earlier, re-enabled it and discovered it had been disabled again later on.

As for why MSE doesn't update more often... it seems that Windows Update only checks for updates once per day so unlike most anti-virus software that auto-updates more frequently MSE won't be. I've just manually updated the definition tables twice tonight and they weren't on Windows Update. I'm currently using 1.67.284.0.

It's early days yet though so hopefully Microsoft will incorporate an auto-update into the software itself rather than relying on Windows Update.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous