Way of the Samurai 3 Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• oldschoolsoviet 21 Jan 2010 00:12:46 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You don't really develop your character as such, in that there are no stats or skills to build. Overall HP is about the only thing that can be improved, by buying/using certain items to increase its maximum value.

It's really all about the swords/weapons, and learning the skillset of each, unlocking extra skills during combat, or again, by buying scrolls and using them.

The way you play/choices you make can certainly 'enhance' your character throughout a playthrough however, being attacked on sight by enemies you've made, having civilians run scared, or bow to you in respect etc.
  • Machetazo 21 Jan 2010 08:46:35 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    You don't really develop your character as such, in that there are no stats or skills to build.

It's really all about the swords/weapons, and learning the skillset of each, unlocking extra skills during combat, or again, by buying scrolls and using them.
    It's sounding better all the time. :)
  • Deleted user 24 January 2010 09:42:25
    I've never played a WOTS game before, so what is it? Action RPG?
  • Deleted user 24 January 2010 09:55:38
    Ah okay cool. Thanks Disc.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Jan 2010 11:55:57 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Futuristic Cyber Samurai with a Swan Head coming out of his crotch is coming at ya.
    Something like this ?
  • Deleted user 10 February 2010 16:06:25
    Just ordered this :D
  • byron_hinson 6 Mar 2010 09:46:48 1,509 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got this in the post - looking forward to giving it a try. Does it matter that I never played the other games???
  • elvenscroll 6 Mar 2010 10:18:48 1,374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    Just got this in the post - looking forward to giving it a try. Does it matter that I never played the other games???

Where from? I thought this was out last yesterday but Shopto pushed it back to next week.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Oh-Bollox 6 Mar 2010 10:23:00 5,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:

Nope! The games have similar gameplay but the stories are unrelated.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2010 11:02:35
    Out on 12th now ... going head to head with Yakuza 3. LOL.
  • byron_hinson 6 Mar 2010 11:21:05 1,509 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    byron_hinson wrote:

Where from? I thought this was out last yesterday but Shopto pushed it back to next week.

Got a review copy in the post today...but never played the others was all!
  • elvenscroll 6 Mar 2010 11:53:11 1,374 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I see. for a second there I thought I may have ordered from the wrong place! Never mind.

Cheers!

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Deleted user 15 March 2010 11:58:02
    EG 10/10 SHOCKER

• pinebear 15 Mar 2010 12:03:18 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surprising. I gasped.

• Murbal 15 Mar 2010 12:16:20 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EG and Games TM have fully put me off now. Shame.
  • GeeMacca 15 Mar 2010 12:26:20 2,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't played the whole thing yet (unless you can count 'finishing it' as slashing the wrong person accidentally while chasing a pant stealing bird, and getting killed, and therefore getting the 'end' screen), but I love it - really different and quirky and I'm glad I bought it. There ARE issues and some minor annoyances, but if you like the old ones, go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
  • Murbal 15 Mar 2010 14:57:03 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone quite liked it...
  • pinebear 15 Mar 2010 15:27:47 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That video's NSFW if you're not allowed to laugh in your office :D

"It's like a tootsie roll wrapped in meat."

• angerisagift 15 Mar 2010 16:22:29 1,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think this is a game where, objectively, you can see all the technical shortcomings and you know deep down that you should really be saying its really rather poor, BUT something just keeps dragging you back to play it, you press on and it becomes more and more addictive. In the end, you actually LIKE it.

Well, thats been my experience with it after a few days anyway. First hour I thought 'God this is shocking'. 3 hours later, 'cant...stop....murdering people'

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• Machetazo 15 Mar 2010 20:02:58 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    That video's NSFW if you're not allowed to laugh in your office :D

"It's like a tootsie roll wrapped in meat."
    +1. I just discovered that review for myself, but it's also worth checking out because the visual quality (so you can see the game in action) is good, too.
  • pinebear 15 Mar 2010 21:13:58 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, though the puddles of mud are atrocious. Still, they do have a certain comedy value that sets the tone nicely!

• Deleted user 15 March 2010 21:30:46
    Funny video, I think it looks cool, not sure why EG marked it so harshly, same with Supercar Challenge which I really liked even though it can be maddening at times.

I reckon some journalists are too eager to fall head over heels for big budget games whilst being too critical of devs who have ambition but not necessarily the budget or development time to pull it off without some flaws and rough edges.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2010 21:39:33
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Funny video, I think it looks cool, not sure why EG marked it so harshly, same with Supercar Challenge which I really liked even though it can be maddening at times.

I reckon some journalists are too eager to fall head over heels for big budget games whilst being too critical of devs who have ambition but not necessarily the budget or development time to pull it off without some flaws and rough edges.
    I think some games fall into a horrible middle ground. Not big enough to get hyped up about but not small enough to score "indie points."
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Mar 2010 21:48:01 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SPAM wrote:
    EG 10/10 SHOCKER

I feel personally offended by that review/score. DAMN YOU CRITICS ! HAVE YOU NO SOUL ?!
  • Deleted user 16 March 2010 07:51:48
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    Vertical Stand wrote:

I think some games fall into a horrible middle ground. Not big enough to get hyped up about but not small enough to score "indie points."

You know that could be the case, they're not 'indie chic' and therefore not excused for limited scope/idiosyncratic design choices but are being compared with games that have much higher budgets, larger teams, longer development cycles etc.

If it is, its a real shame as these are precisely the sort of games, medium sized studio games, which are still retail disc based that I find most appealing. They are also the ones that most need positive press and word of mouth to have any chance of commercial success.

Looking forward to hear from those who have just picked it up, what unexpected situations and barmy characters they find.
  • sirtacos 18 Mar 2010 12:11:12 7,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just got this. I have no idea what's going on half the time. The meaning of my dialogue choices is impenetrable. I can say a completely innocuous thing like "pardon me?" and suddenly I have an entire vilage trying to shishkebab me.

I died on my first playthrough before getting to any of the endings. I died because of a weird dialogue option. I was trying to be good, but that killed me, so for my next playthrough I'll just be a dick and kill everyone.
  • angerisagift 18 Mar 2010 15:08:18 1,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This game is the Twin Peaks of Samurai videogames - its mental. Oh and the ambient music is brilliant. Sometimes I bring up the map screen if I need to be soothed to sleep.

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• itamae 21 Mar 2010 12:33:37 9,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, this game is awesome! I have yet to see an ending that doesn't involve me dying in a gutter somewhere, but even the random deaths are great fun. On my second round I died while cutting vegetables, and some other time I ran into the samurai killer while searching for a different killer. Last time I took a Iaido sword from a dead thief, and got overconfident. WotS is, for all intents and purposes, a roguelike RPG, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Great music, too, as angerisagift said.
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Mar 2010 14:37:40 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad to see some enjoyment happening in here, makes a change from all the usual grumping.

Bit of charm goes a long way. :) I'll need to get back to taking crazy pics again......
  • itamae 22 Mar 2010 14:45:22 9,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is great, but tough! I keep dying to random encounters around day 4 or so, mostly because I haven't figured out how to side-step attacks and resort to button mashing when I'm on the offence. I will master the Iaido style though, mark my words!

Has anyone tried to get by without weapons? Martial Arts appear to be pretty terrible in this game, the attacks are far too slow to be useful, and there only seem to be a handful of them...
  • Page

of 3 First / Last