Way of the Samurai 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Everblue 22 Sep 2009 22:00:48 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This one is coming out in the US for PS3 this October, and I am thinking of importing it, seeing that no one announced an EU release. Anyone else getting it?
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Sep 2009 22:52:00 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been localised ?!

Oh goddamn yes......hopefully it'll be this Plus version for the EU.

Otherwise, I'll happily be giving VG+ some more cash.

Add in the PSP version of WotS2, and I'm a happy chappy. :D
  • Everblue 22 Sep 2009 22:54:58 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I pre-ordered from DVDBoxOffice as shipping was free. Are they decent?
  • Deleted user 22 September 2009 23:39:10
    Nice one, but with all the games out at the moment will wait to see if its picked up for the EU in 2010, hope the PSP ports are brought over by someone like Atlus, played the first briefly, its basically Yojimbo the game, and thats a very good thing - seems ideal for PSP, playing over, trying new paths in a short game.
  • Everblue 26 Oct 2009 13:47:19 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Received it today... played it for 10 minutes are so. Cannot really tell how good/bad it is so far (I'm still in the starting village). Graphics are decidely average (not that really bothers to be honest, and this was somehow expected).

Maybe I will report further impressions later today or tomorrow :p
  • Everblue 27 Oct 2009 09:19:58 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK played the game for an hour or two. Here are my initial impressions.

1. Game is quite fun, and at times it has a weird sense of humour. For example, one of the early missions I had to retrieve an old lady's spare undergarments after she apparantly lost them in a battlefield (!). I managed to find them, only to have them stolen from me by a raven. Yup, its weird.

Another strange one is how you save in the game. Every now and then you see a fellow in the village with a guitar-like musical instrument. You talk to him to play a song, and he will save. If you kill the guy you won't be able to save any more withing that area. In one particular village the saving guy asked for money in order to save/play music! Fantastic.

2. Graphics are not good, but not THAT bad either. Anyway, they serve the purpose and after a minute or so you would stop caring.

3. Fighting is very simple. This can be viewed as good or bad. For me its good!

4. The game is very 'open', as in you can pretty much kill whoever you want, except kids (no I didnt actually try to kill kids, although they are quite annoying in the game). For example at one point I joined a clan and during the meeting with the boss I decided to kill him and I nearly did. I died before I could find out what would happen if I managed.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Oct 2009 16:02:24 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, typical WotS then ?

:D

/wears Goh mask and chainsaw combo
  • Everblue 28 Oct 2009 10:16:29 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean its not like Ninja Gaiden where you have to do stuff like /\ [][][]/\[][]/\ for a single move.

:)

BTW I just managed to ruin my game when I died and selected YES to 'you want to save your progress' after i hit the ground. Now continuing the game will throw me back to the begninning. So, lesson learned there, if you die don't save your progress :p
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Oct 2009 11:56:14 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep. That's the same as the previous games. I'm assuming this one has a finite timescale story too ?
    I don't even recall what the plot is......
  • Deleted user 4 December 2009 07:19:23
    Coming Q1 2010 from Rising Star games, mentions 360 as well as PS3, so if there is a mod about, might be worth putting this thread in the general games section for better exposure.

http://www.risingstargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=255
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Dec 2009 07:59:39 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And if anyone has bought the US version, there's a free item pack full of comedy equipment on the US Store.
    Now, whether to order for Xmas or wait. Hmmm......
  • Aretak 4 Dec 2009 08:15:52 10,368 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably worth waiting just to support a UK publisher.
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Dec 2009 23:36:44 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couldn't wait ! Arrived today, and I've already been mucking around with:

-finding the old lady pants
    -filleting giant tuna
    -murdering sleeping/drunk ronin
    -bell tolling
    -making chainsaw swords
    -admiring cardboard samurai armour
    -figuring out where the hell the story can go

Unfortunately I died quite quickly, at the hands of an old woman. Slicing vegetables as she threw them at me, she'd mix in the odd stone lantern. My dodging skills were below par..... :(

Also, anybody else noticed the custom accessories editing options ? Worth a muck about to see what you could come up with.
  • oldschoolsoviet 25 Dec 2009 22:13:45 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha ! Cut a guy down today. His death cry ?

"Meeeoooow....?"

WTF ?
    Also noticed the 'slight' mistake while surrendering to an enemy, "You talk of piss ?" rather than 'peace'.

Gotta love Japlish. :D
  • Deleted user 25 December 2009 22:16:42
    Haha, enjoying these observations, have you thought of doing a semi-regular Way of the Samurai journal in here of your adventures oldschoolsoviet? Kinda like what EG sometimes does on the mainpage about games like Fallout 3, would be a good read if you were up for it.

Anyways I hope they keep that in the UK version, maybe change it to "you talk of pish?" :D
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Dec 2009 12:49:39 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, way beyond my posting style. :) Combined with the number of events, and the fact there's 28 endings, I'll pass.

I'll be afraid of spoiling stuff too, so I'll stick to the obscure, overlooked type of thing jus'now.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Dec 2009 20:45:36 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quote of the day:

"I'm always frazzled when I smell you nearby !" :o

And quite frankly, the most surreal cutscene I've ever witnessed. My character presiding over a banquet, chomping down huge radishes, with dogs, chickens and crows replacing the absent gang members.
    Bizarre.

Oh, and how's this for a look. :D
  • pinebear 26 Dec 2009 22:38:04 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your character and observations interest me in this game.

• oldschoolsoviet 26 Dec 2009 22:46:36 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'd love it pb. If you think EG2 is outlandish, this'll blow your mind ! Not to mention the utterly devious story paths that can change with one choice or decision.

/can't believe how few people have played a WotS

Unlocked the NPC option, and thought it'd be funny to use the old Biwa musician. Unfortunately, being old, rickety and hunched over, he could only hobble at a snails pace. So I'm off to bash some more NPCs senseless, find somebody more suitable......
  • pinebear 26 Dec 2009 23:01:44 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok. Staying with the crazy tip, worth getting WotS & WotS2 while I wait for the EU release?

• repairmanjack 26 Dec 2009 23:59:03 6,071 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God, I want this...
  • Oh-Bollox 27 Dec 2009 00:14:12 5,331 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Ok. Staying with the crazy tip, worth getting WotS & WotS2 while I wait for the EU release?

Aye, they're both quite good.
  • PinkSpider 28 Dec 2009 19:06:13 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    God, I want this...
    This. Getting average to low reviews. But Samurai, personally one of the coolest times in history for me is olden days Japan.

How does this compare to the first anyone? I quite enjoyed it, despite it being clearly flawed.
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Dec 2009 20:20:40 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you enjoyed the first, you'll enjoy this. Probably a more similar story/structure than the town-based 2nd, with the two rival clans, shady government forces and an easier "inkling" system that hints at important events on your map.

Finally upgraded a sword to Lv50, and infinite durability (unbreakable) is mine ! Luckily, teaming it up with another sword in a dual-wield stance confers it to both, so I'm able to cleave through huge crowds without pause.

Just need to unlock the Ninja dual-wield stance now.......
  • oldschoolsoviet 1 Jan 2010 19:25:01 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quote of the day:

"Where's the carrier dog.....?!"

- dying words of a female civilian, who was sneakily armed with a ninja-blade, who I suspect was my contact. Pity all she could do was witter on about how "well-travelled" she was, and that sword was more useful than the local slapper, so........

Carrier dog ? Hellooo ?
  • oldschoolsoviet 2 Jan 2010 12:21:50 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More WotS1. Just in terms of feel, environment, and factions. The 2nd was more a case of police/honour Vs thugs/heroin iirc, and the bloody festival scene which always occurred on the 4th day, limiting your options. The 3rd is back to the oh so complicated web of families and clan allegiances throughout the area, and although it too has a 'pivotal event scene', it's not entirely fixed in the timespan. Reports on GameFAQs say games can last up to 30 days, and there's a lot more flexibility in seeing events, so if you miss one, you've more opportunity to catch it during a couple of days.

At the mo', I'm trying to unlock/purchase the last 20 or so accessories, and I've started to hunt down the Fabled Trader, who sells individual parts that make famous swords from the previous games. At 2-4000 yen a piece, some of them will cost 15000+...... :o

Forgotten I can kill him straight after purchase, and get a 'refund' ! \o/
  • Deleted user 2 January 2010 17:44:02
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Forgotten I can kill him straight after purchase, and get a 'refund' ! \o/

Ban this sick filth!

Way of the Samurai 3 is listed as being out here on the 19/2/2010 on shopto.net priced £29.85 (Xbox360/PS3). I don't use em anymore after they ducked out of their release day pledge but anyways, good to see it is out soon.

Not sure about performance on each machine, we could still do with having a mod (is there anybody out there?) move this thread to the general gaming section for more coverage.

Curious looking logo in the bottom right, maybe its a placeholder but I thought this was Rising Star, will ask them.

I'm still figuring out my one game from the mountain of Feb/March delights but this might be the game I pick up, alongside the new boxset of the Lone Wolf and Cub films. :D
  • oldschoolsoviet 2 Jan 2010 17:58:03 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Curious looking logo in the bottom right, maybe its a placeholder but I thought this was Rising Star, will ask them.
    Eh ?

Finally got a lady to move in with me, although she bored me to death with insect collecting tales, and telling me I looked hellish in the morning.

So I brought another lady friend home.......with disastrous results.
    "Shit, that didn't work....."
    -the actual caption box that pops up ! :D
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Jan 2010 10:16:12 5,512 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    26th February ?
    That's a bit sudden, if true. I urge every one to try it regardless.
  • Machetazo 20 Jan 2010 14:03:54 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bonus content with first batch of copies.
    the combat and the story
    That's a good thing to focus on, imo. This game definitely sounds interesting, and I like the clean visual style I saw in the screens of it. I hope it is somewhat of an RPG, in the way that you play developing your character. I will pre-order this very soon, I think. What a pleasant surprise! :D
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous