Sopranos vs The Shield, vs 24

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Sep 2009 12:26:39 5,841 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am very late to the regarding the Sopranos, so please no spoilers for that show. I have only seen the first season and I am waiting for the rest to appear from LoveFilm. But I'd just like to get a feel from some of the other TV addicts here. Which of these three shows is the most entertaining?
    After season 1 of Sopranos, I really can't see why this show is held in such high esteem? For me, out of those three shows, The Shield is the best. It's a very close call between it and 24, but 24 is just a little too preposterous to be better than The Shield.

Yes, the Shield is ridiculous too, but not as OTT as 24
  • SpaceDave3000 21 Sep 2009 12:27:51 78,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1. Sopranos
    2. The Wire
    3. The Shield
    4. 24

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 21 September 2009 12:32:14
    I can't believe you even compared them. It beats them by fucking miles. The writing and direction, the acting and all the little subtleties. Sopranos for the fucking win.
  • cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 12:35:23 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first season of the Sopranos was great, but the show really got better over the following seasons. It's better than the Shield IMO, mainly because the Shield is going for the more 24-style action/drama rather than the more serious and literary tone of The Wire/Deadwood/Mad Men (to which The Sopranos subscribes).....

Overall, I'd say that it has since been surpassed, but it's worth remembering that it came out in 98/99, when pretty much everything on TV was utter shite. In a way, The Sopranos is like the Citizen Kane of TV dramas (in that it showed what was possible for other shows).

And before other posters rip on me for calling it "Citizen Kane", yes i am aware of other great TV shows that preceded it (I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks, among others) but I am also aware of other great movies that preceded Citizen Kane.....
  • Flightrisker 21 Sep 2009 12:46:38 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only watched The Shield and 24 outta those but I have to say as much as I love "A Series of Unfortunate events starring Kiefer Sutherland as himself", The Shield is in a different league to it.

• Deleted user 21 September 2009 12:49:27
    24 is utter garbage, The Shield is great and i really have to watch The Sopranos.
  • sargulesh 21 Sep 2009 12:50:27 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    24 shrinks your balls.

You really need to watch more than 1 season of The Sopranos before you can say The Shield is better than the Sopranos and have any credibility. It really gets going when Richie Aprile turns up.
  • TheHammerite 21 Sep 2009 12:53:02 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Sopranos is the best series tv has ever produced, it may not be as accessible as the action packed 24, but the writing is better imo.
    The ways the characters developed in the Sopranos was fantastic, if you watch all the series in order you will appreciate the richness of it all.

Series 6 part 2 was the best as far as im concerned.
    Richie Aprile was the best bad guy

• Deleted user 21 September 2009 12:54:48
    TheHammerite wrote:
    The Sopranos is the best series tv has ever produced

The Wire and Deadwood would like to disagree :D
  • sargulesh 21 Sep 2009 12:56:11 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wire fans can really grind your gears though...
  • SpaceDave3000 21 Sep 2009 12:56:34 78,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And Band of Brothers is looking a bit pissed off.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 12:56:41 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Man, I wish David Milch got a chance to complete Deadwood! He had four seasons planned from the outset, and HBO pulled support for the show after season 3, so it ends quite unexpectedly.

And Ian McShane as Al Swearengen is the greatest character in the history of TV. Phenomenal!
  • TheHammerite 21 Sep 2009 12:57:24 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    TheHammerite wrote:

They're good, but not as
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Sep 2009 12:59:01 5,841 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sargulesh
    I take your point. I am still going to watch the rest of the series. I just expected The Sopranos to hit the ground running and keep its level of excellence throughout its complete run. I somehow was more intrigued with the first season of 24 and The shield.

@cianchristopher
    I hadn't even considered that the Sopranos is that old. But remember, the other two shows were only one or two years away with their respective first seasons. I suppose it is to its credit that it has aged as well as it has.

@Dirtbox
    I love how you shoehorned a show into your top four, when this thread is only discussing three shows.
    :)
  • Genji 21 Sep 2009 13:01:06 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    24 doesn't seem comparable to either of those, tbh. It's better as an action series, but The Sopranos isn't really trying to be that.
  • cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 13:01:31 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best TV shows I can think of, and the ones most worth owning on dvd are: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Mad Men....... and I would say The Shield but you're better off downloading that thanks to Sony UK's ridiculous decision to chop massive amounts off certain dvds (Season 5 finale is reduced from 70 mins to 48 mins on the UK dvd)......

Oh, and Band of Brothers and Generation Kill are the best Miniseries....

It's not worth owning 24 as it's the same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.....
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Sep 2009 13:01:40 5,841 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    And Ian McShane as Al Swearengen is the greatest character in the history of TV. Phenomenal!

Cianchristopher, from this day forth I shall hold your opinion in higher esteem than my own girlfriends. Al Swearengen was an absolutely immense bastard. Lit up the show. The only reason I tolerated season 3.
  • sargulesh 21 Sep 2009 13:02:03 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Shield followed a similar arc to The Sopranos, I felt. Series 1 and 2 were good but not amazing. From Series 3 onwards it's breathtaking and it has the best finale of any TV show ever made bar none. Series 7 of The Shield shows how to complete, with love and care, something that you have been building with love and care. Series 5 of The Wire, e.g., shows how to shit all over the story you've been putting together.
  • TheHammerite 21 Sep 2009 13:02:35 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When the Sopranos did action sequences they were memorable, its quality not quantity
  • Deleted user 21 September 2009 13:05:05
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    TheHammerite wrote:

ROFL.
  • cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 13:06:31 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and the West Wing is another good (great?) show but it helps if you're willing to be very forgiving with certain shortcomings (and I'm not talking about overly sentimental American patriotism, though it has that at times)....

My big problem with it is that many (too many) of the characters speak with the same voice (what I mean is that the dialogue is comlpetely interchangeable for certain characters - and the delivery by the actors (their tone, their speech patterns) are extremely similar). Actually, it's basically Aaron Sorkin's voice being channelled....
  • Trane 21 Sep 2009 13:09:55 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Sopranos and The Wire > all tbh.

People who think 24 and Lost are just as good or better, need to be set aflame and thrown of a cliff into the sea.

The sea of caustic acid.

/joking, sort of.
  • andywilkie35 21 Sep 2009 13:13:12 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm currently rewatching The Sopranos for the third time. In my opinion The Shield and The Wire are fantastic, but aren't even close to The Sopranos. Different class.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Vice.Destroyer 21 Sep 2009 13:13:35 5,841 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nobody is disputing the Wires greatness. That is why it is not an option, Trane

I am also not a fan of Lost. It has infuriated me a lot more than it has entertained me. That is why it is not an option in the three shows I'd like Eurogamers to rank in order of greatness

/all in all, I agree with Trane. Sort of.
  • cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 13:15:22 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This thread has got me thinking, actually you can scratch my earlier comment where I said that The Sopranos has probably been surpassed. I don't really think it has!

I'll actually stick my neck out and say - "I liked the ending to Made In America"....
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Sep 2009 13:16:23 24,584 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    24 is fupping awesome, Jack Bauer is my hero.

However The Shield is my favourite ever cop show, it's phenomenal.

Only seen the first 2 seasons of Sopranos, but it's good stuff.

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• Trane 21 Sep 2009 13:17:19 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In that case, the Sopranos wins.

Shield is also great.

24, well 24 is like an average Steven Seagal film only more drawn out. And Steven Seagal replaced by your uncle Jeff.
  • cianchristopher 21 Sep 2009 13:17:40 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well to answer your question Vice.Destroyer, and reading the other comments I'd say it's a general consensus, I'd say the rank is:

1. The Sopranos
    2. The Shield
    3. 24
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Sep 2009 13:20:43 5,841 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hm, cianchristopher. In that case, I shall reserve judgement until I get a few more seasons under my belt. I am now curiously excited for the arrival of Richie Aprile. Is this character as memorable as Omar from the Wire? Or even more memorable?

Please, no spoilers, guys. I have only seen one season of the Sopranos.
  • Trane 21 Sep 2009 13:22:58 4,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Richie creates a lot of great tension, he's no Omar though.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous