The Witcher 2 Page 3

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• Raiten 8 May 2011 08:36:19 116 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, like genji said, it's basicly just a minor annoyance in favour of a much more immersive game world.
    I'd rather have such minor annoyances over the static and "dead" worlds you see in so many western rpg's usualy.
  • THFourteen 8 May 2011 08:39:13 33,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think there's a fine line for me. Dragon Age 2s teleport from npc to npc was a bit ridiculous, but realising I've forgotten something in the swamp and having to walk ALL the way back there and then wait for nighttime is a bit annoying too.
  • Genji 8 May 2011 08:42:45 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It becomes a lot easier to teleport around in Chapter 3. But yeah, constant backtracking is a bit annoying, considering load times and whatnot. Loading an area doesn't take too long, but it adds up with all the to-ing and fro-ing.
  • THFourteen 8 May 2011 08:45:00 33,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /cough has SSD

What load times?
  • Genji 8 May 2011 08:48:08 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :(
  • THFourteen 9 May 2011 09:35:57 33,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No not really. The locations are quite big I imagine (i'm playing the original for the first time at the moment), but it is a bit more like baldurs gate, you travel from area to area and all the areas are linked in a realistic manner - ie not like DA2 - if you see what i mean.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 May 2011 10:11:57 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I imagine that's how it works, yes, but I have to admit I intentionally avoided pretty much all previews, but I did indeed, as silentbob correctly points out, upgrade the other week with this game in mind. I am quite looking forward to it. ;)
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 May 2011 10:46:24 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up, think I'll do that too. I've got the original disc and a few GBs of updates. Can't say no to a complete, hassle-free DD version for 5 US$ I guess.
  • cianchristopher 9 May 2011 11:00:10 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't launch The Witcher 1 on Steam at all. It just does nothing when I double-click on it. Nothing at all.

I've verified the files and all that, but nothing. Anyone ever experience this? Really weird, it's the only tme I've ever seen it.

I'd like to try it out before 2 comes out, only played it a bit years ago and can't remember much. Jesus, I hope 2 doesn't do anything like this - I'm not too upset about 1 cos I bought it for pennies in a Steam sale a while back, but I've pre-ordered 2 and would be pretty livid if it totally didn't work.
  • bad09 9 May 2011 11:51:52 6,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's weird cianchristopher, have you tried starting it from the Witcher directory instead of through the Steam launcher?
  • Shikasama 9 May 2011 12:45:31 6,996 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still don't know wether to get this or not.

I'm playing Witcher 1 at the mo and I'm quite annoyed by how much the game cock blocks you with money. I'm at a quest now where I have to give a druid 500 orens but I don't have it because I had to spend a fortune on books for autopsies, witcher contracts and just about everything else. There is a set of armour in the shop for 5000 orens and I don't see how I'll ever be able to get that =/
  • heavy_salad 9 May 2011 12:53:45 729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shit didn't realise this was out in like a week. Pre-ordered it ages ago on a whim, but need to play the 1st yet. Currently playing Mass Effect 2 but don't really want to put it to one side cos I'll forget about it. Decisions, decisions.
  • PenguinJim 9 May 2011 13:02:43 5,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:

I'm playing Witcher 1 at the mo and I'm quite annoyed by how much the game cock blocks you with money. I'm at a quest now where I have to give a druid 500 orens but I don't have it because I had to spend a fortune on books for autopsies, witcher contracts and just about everything else. There is a set of armour in the shop for 5000 orens and I don't see how I'll ever be able to get that =/
    Do you play dice?

On the other hand, maybe it's nice to have a game where you can't just buy EVERYTHING. ;) Remember, you didn't HAVE to spend that money on contracts!
  • Shikasama 9 May 2011 13:41:19 6,996 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

Do you play dice?

On the other hand, maybe it's nice to have a game where you can't just buy EVERYTHING. ;) Remember, you didn't HAVE to spend that money on contracts!

By contracts I mean buying the bestiary entries so that I could complete them, so I actually did. Put that next to the orens you have to shell out to various characters for questing purposes and the paltry rewards you get given, the lack of saleable loot etc and it is annoying I cannot progress through this part of the main questline without forking over more cash.
  • THFourteen 9 May 2011 13:49:12 33,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

Do you play dice?

By contracts I mean buying the bestiary entries so that I could complete them, so I actually did. Put that next to the orens you have to shell out to various characters for questing purposes and the paltry rewards you get given, the lack of saleable loot etc and it is annoying I cannot progress through this part of the main questline without forking over more cash.

Sounds like you are at the same point of the game as me (just finished Chapter 2).

Trick is, don't buy everything you see. Do you really need all those books? Do you need all those potion ingredients and recipes? Do you need the whole bestiary? Do you need all those meteorites? Be more selective.

I am a fighty type witcher, and i have 4300 saved up, almost enough for that armour i have my eye on :)
  • bad09 9 May 2011 13:57:05 6,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like PenguinJim says, if you are skint the dice is a great way to make some dough. I tend to buy the books needed for contracts if I'm flush and can afford it. As others have said those contracts are optional.
  • Shikasama 9 May 2011 15:05:45 6,996 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

Do you play dice?

Sounds like you are at the same point of the game as me (just finished Chapter 2).

Trick is, don't buy everything you see. Do you really need all those books? Do you need all those potion ingredients and recipes? Do you need the whole bestiary? Do you need all those meteorites? Be more selective.

I am a fighty type witcher, and i have 4300 saved up, almost enough for that armour i have my eye on :)

Yeah I have literally just finished Chapter 2 (Triss is standing in front of me all naked and whatnot)

Tell you what I did think was genius. The Vizima Confidential quest. Looking at all the different permutations of that and I'm like 'Yeah, this is how RPGs SHOULD be done'. Really puts Dragon Age to fucking shame.
  • THFourteen 9 May 2011 15:16:28 33,885 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:

Yeah I have literally just finished Chapter 2 (Triss is standing in front of me all naked and whatnot)

Tell you what I did think was genius. The Vizima Confidential quest. Looking at all the different permutations of that and I'm like 'Yeah, this is how RPGs SHOULD be done'. Really puts Dragon Age to fucking shame.

This is one game i find embarassing to play in front of the missus tho... desperately trying to click past any conversations involving scantily clad women... "what are you playing... why is she not wearing any clothes...etc"

I do hope i have the stamina to finish it though, Chapter 2 seems to have taken me literally ages.
  • SClaw 9 May 2011 15:50:29 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is one game i find embarassing to play in front of the missus tho... desperately trying to click past any conversations involving scantily clad women... "what are you playing... why is she not wearing any clothes...etc"

The funny thing is you have no idea how many more digital women you've missed out on. You can do pretty much any reasonably attractive woman (and a couple of, frankly, scary ones) in the game... even two (as I recall... might be up to four, as I think you can shag a couple of nuns near the end as well) unnamed NPCs who play no other part in the story. This game is serious about nookie.

I hope for more of the same in Witcher 2, though unfortunately sex cards are out. Damn them!
  • heavy_salad 9 May 2011 16:23:15 729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    heavy_salad wrote:
    Shit didn't realise this was out in like a week. Pre-ordered it ages ago on a whim, but need to play the 1st yet. Currently playing Mass Effect 2 but don't really want to put it to one side cos I'll forget about it. Decisions, decisions.

Finish Mass deffect and then start Witcher and immediately roll into Witcher 2 when you finish.

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do. It'll probably take me about 6 months at the speed I play though and LA Noire's out in a bit too :(
  • Yossarian 9 May 2011 16:24:38 8,409 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does this thread really only have 90 posts? What a sad state of affairs for the best game of the year.
  • pauleyc 9 May 2011 16:32:39 4,483 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Negotiator1 wrote:
    Anyone know if you can play this game with an xbox 360 controller, as I'm not that used to the mouse and keyboard.
    Yes, it should support the X360 controller according to the system requirements posted by RPS some time ago.
  • Page

of 75 First / Last