The Witcher 2 Page 70

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 21 May 2013 14:39:36 17,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think there may be some incompatibility with the most recent sets of Nvidia drivers as my system, which is worse than your GTX570 could handle it easily but I booted it up the other day and it runs like crap.

You are a factory of sadness.

• JoeBlade 21 May 2013 15:58:41 2,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This thread made me want to boot up the game again and I've noticed an effing huuuuge patch has been released.
    Again.
    With new quests, new cinematics, locations and whatnot o_O

Nearly any other company would've released all this as DLC instead and would've long stopped patching the game. CD Projekt raised the standards bar so high the employees of other devs must've begun feeling bad about themselves by now.
  • Blerk Moderator 24 May 2013 10:57:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think that patch came out round about the time the 360 edition did, didn't it? It upgraded the PC version to 'special edition' status with all the extra stuff they did for the console release.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway - I finished it! \o/

I liked the ending (the one I got, anyway - I've no idea how many there actually are). I think I even got half-decent at the combat by the time I was through!

Going to take a break and play something else now, but I think I'll probably come back and try the other route through at some point in the future.
  • PearOfAnguish 19 Jun 2013 19:04:42 7,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a combat rebalance mod coming from one of the CDPR guys: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/255-Full-Combat-Rebalance-2

I never got past the opening section on The Witcher 2 because the combat irritated the shit out of me so gonna give it another crack with this installed.
  • morriss 19 Jun 2013 19:05:53 70,976 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I think that patch came out round about the time the 360 edition did, didn't it? It upgraded the PC version to 'special edition' status with all the extra stuff they did for the console release.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway - I finished it! \o/

I liked the ending (the one I got, anyway - I've no idea how many there actually are). I think I even got half-decent at the combat by the time I was through!

Going to take a break and play something else now, but I think I'll probably come back and try the other route through at some point in the future.
    Best RPG this gen?

Of course it is, silly!
  • WoodenSpoon 20 Jun 2013 17:01:59 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The combat rebalance mod is out now, for anyone like me who's thinking about giving this another go!
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 17:13:43 17,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it available anywhere else where I don't have to log in? Looks like it isn't yet.

• WoodenSpoon 20 Jun 2013 17:36:57 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure about anywhere else, but the signup takes seconds, there isn't even a confirmation email... you might be able to just make a fake one up.
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Jun 2013 17:39:02 17,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah okay, cool. I'll have a look at that later. cheers.

• dancingrob 27 Jun 2013 10:58:04 1,170 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    really enjoying this at the moment, currently just arrived in Vergen, having sided with Iorveth in the first chapter

Considering I'm generally pretty crap at games, I haven't found the combat crazily hard. Someone told me you basically have to spend all the time rolling around on the floor, so I've largely just done that, coupled with use of the shield and fire spells for the most part, along with regular bombs thrown all over the place.

Characterisation seems particularly good, and I like the slightly grim world, which definitely tallies with my preference for low-fantasy type stuff, rather than Lord of the Rings style swords and sorcery.
  • joeymoto108 2 Jul 2013 20:01:22 643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried getting into this again for the fifth or so time but the controls are so bloody useless it hurts. Both the KB + M and Xbox control schemes are fucking atrocious. I'm just glad I only paid a few quid for it.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• WoodenSpoon 2 Jul 2013 20:03:34 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hopefully they'll have revamped it all by the time 3 is released. They just need to make the controls/combat Dark Souls. Simple as.
  • thefilthandthefury 2 Jul 2013 22:48:40 25,017 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    Tried getting into this again for the fifth or so time but the controls are so bloody useless it hurts. Both the KB + M and Xbox control schemes are fucking atrocious. I'm just glad I only paid a few quid for it.
    This. I've had to give up on this game a couple of times now. I WANTED to like it, it has all the ingredients of a game I'd love... but the combat is just ghastly. It's the best word I can use for it. A grotesque control scheme if you will.
  • DUFFKING 2 Jul 2013 22:50:13 7,256 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right so that combat mod is a bit rubbish IMO. Much prefer the regular combat.
  • WoodenSpoon 2 Jul 2013 22:50:20 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    joeymoto108 wrote:
    This. I've had to give up on this game a couple of times now. I WANTED to like it, it has all the ingredients of a game I'd love... but the combat is just ghastly. It's the best word I can use for it. A grotesque control scheme if you will.
    Have you tried since the combat overhaul?

I still hated it, but it might be worth you giving it a go.

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 22:50:47 02-07-2013
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Jul 2013 00:16:13 25,017 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm I'm not sure. I got it at Christmas and tried a couple of months after that as well. If they'd changed it by then, then it was the new one.
  • WoodenSpoon 3 Jul 2013 01:39:56 12,285 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    20th of July, I posted up there ^^ :p

As I say, I still thought the combat was awful. Might be worth a go if the game is still on your HDD though.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jul 2013 07:11:35 11,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The game is slow to start and the combat takes some getting used to but it's nowhere near as bad as you are making out and all other aspects of the game are stellar.
    You're really missing out.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• thefilthandthefury 3 Jul 2013 07:46:54 25,017 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found the whole thing hard to care about as well though. I don't know who people are, what's going on... it doesn't do a good job of introducing new people to the world. I guess I should have played the first one.

And having to stop all the time to make and take potions is irritating.

But I gave up early on the new Deus Ex as well, for similar reasons, so what do I know?

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 07:49:37 03-07-2013
  • Burnt-Kona Senior Artist, Full Fat Productions 3 Jul 2013 09:24:21 52 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never bothered with potions and oils, even on Dark difficulty. The main cut-scenes don't do much for introducing characters, but sit down and chat with them in the pub and they will soon fill you in with much of the backstory.

XBL - BurntKona
    Received an 8/10 from Eurogamer once...

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Jul 2013 00:09:38 38,146 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, I bought this in the Steam sale and it runs like shit on my PC, even with everything turned right down. The FPS visibly dropped every few seconds.

I wouldn't mind but I only just upgraded this week to an i5 Haswell CPU. I know it'll be my GPU that's bottlenecking it, but still this is the first game I've had issues with.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mr_Sleep 14 Jul 2013 00:16:37 17,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it something of a stutter every few seconds? If so I think there is a patch for this specific problem.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Jul 2013 00:32:12 38,146 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it is.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Jul 2013 00:59:29 38,146 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've now gone into the nVidia control panel and turned the Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames setting to "1" and it now runs fine on Medium.

It still makes my PC sound like it's about to take off, but I do only have the stock CPU cooler. I'm used to a much bigger fan.

• morriss 14 Jul 2013 01:16:29 70,976 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Top 5 games this Gen.
  • dancingrob 21 Jul 2013 08:47:37 1,170 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm now at what seems like the final boss fight the dragon

and it's suddenly got bloody hard!

Any tips, I'm playing on medium,have finished the first half of the battle, and don't have much left in the way of daggers / no bombs / traps seem useless. Will try again tonight when I'm a bit less tired , but may need to bump it down to easy I expect...
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 09:56:20
    @dancingrob use the central bit to give you time to cast shield. Attack with three light hits then go back around into central bit for cover.

Never try more than three as he counters. It might be two.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 10:14:20
    For sure top 5.
  • YenooR 19 Aug 2013 09:46:28 532 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm going to start this again for the third time.
    I have given up on the previous two, determined to see it through.
  • Page

of 75 First / Last