of 75 First / Last

• morriss 9 Jan 2013 18:53:12 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the last great new release.
  • drhickman1983 24 Jan 2013 22:03:18 200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Started playing the Witcher 2 on my 360, finding it slightly hard to get into. I want to to like it, the characters and story seem interesting. But the way it plays isn't exactly drawing me in.

Does combat evolve beyond buffing yourself, casting the shield and rolling around? If I try doing anything else at this point I get hit too much (very early days, dicking around in Flotsam at the moment.)
  • DUFFKING 24 Jan 2013 22:07:42 7,097 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, until you get some decent armour. Do the Troll quest and make sure you help the troll and get the head of the female troll from sendler and give it to the troll. That'll give you a crafting diagram for some good armour that'll last you most of the first chapter.

Edited by DUFFKING at 22:07:54 24-01-2013

Edited by DUFFKING at 22:08:17 24-01-2013
  • JoeBlade 25 Jan 2013 17:47:31 2,492 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Does combat evolve beyond buffing yourself, casting the shield and rolling around?
    Um, you can go beyond that from the start: throw in an Aard against humans or an Igni against most monsters, Axii against groups.
    Use Yrden and traps before combat, or lob a bomb at the start of a fight.

There are plenty of ways to play as a witcher and depending on the circumstances you're actually a lot better off not relying on a sword + Quen. Never quite understood why so many seem hellbent on that combat style.
  • drhickman1983 25 Jan 2013 19:11:34 200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I tried that, didn't seem to work for me. If I use my Vigour casting Aard or Igni when facing more than a couple of enemies I have to then spend time rolling around to evade until it comes back. Or running away of course.

I don't expect to be able to stand there and just tank stuff, but thus far the combat still isn't gripping me.
  • MadCaddy13 27 Jan 2013 10:36:02 1,856 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After completing this it felt so underwhelming that it ended. It honestly felt like I was at least half way through the story. There were story threads going about thinking 'I'd go back there again' or 'I'll see them again' but I never did.
    Just disappointing really.
    For that I'd probably give this game a 6.5/10
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 11:04:22 2,900 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I bought it for six quid just to see what it looked like on a new iMac, but then I tried playing it and remembered why I prefer to play these games on a TV, sat several feet away, than on a screen so big and so close it makes me motion sick... ;)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Blerk Moderator 9 May 2013 11:03:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So.... I'm finding it really hard to actually enjoy this. What am I getting wrong?

The characters and story seem great (although a lot of the detail just sounds like 'blah blah blah' because I have no idea who, what or where they're talking about, perhaps I should've read a primer first) but like drhickman up there ^^^ I just don't seem to be able to get any 'fun' out of the combat at all.

My magic doesn't seem to do much, setting traps is exceptionally tedious (and they don't seem to do much either), switching skills mid-fight is fiddly and I'm forever running/rolling around waiting for my magic to recharge because attacking solely with a sword just gets me repeatedly knacked over. I've reached Chapter 2 and I think I have a fairly good set of kit, but even a couple of half-reasonable baddies can do me over. I hate that I can't use potions once I'm in a fight, it's infuriating that there's no way to heal other than waiting for the bar to recharge at a rate of one pixel every 30 seconds while I roll around like a knob-end.

What am I missing here, chaps? The whole thing's just seeming like a trial-and-error-and-hope-for-the-best chore and I'm on the verge of chucking it in as a bad job. :(
  • DUFFMAN5 9 May 2013 11:08:44 14,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blerk
    I can't really offer a solution, but just sympathy and to agree with you.
    I know I should love this game, it is everything I enjoy about gaming, and the setting is wonderful, yet I have tried (and failed) to get into this on 4 occasions, and I do mean a fair bit into it, not just 30 odd mins.
    I live in hope that one day it will click, I shall keep returning to it, until it does, although I have uninstalled every save point, so will need to start from scratch again, again.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• spindle9988 9 May 2013 11:13:24 3,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was the same. Picked it up at release, played it for a few hours and just thought meh. As u say the setting is great but combat is toss in my opinion
  • AcidSnake 9 May 2013 11:20:48 7,214 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had no particular difficulties with combat...Did you buy newer swords as you went along?
    I do agree that the magic powers are not as helpfully placed as I would have liked and I almost never used the trap one (used in in two occasions in fact)...

Oh and I was confused about much of the story at the start as well not having played the first but you manage to sort most of it together after a while...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 11:22:11
    Give it more time. The first chapter is by far the hardest. The control system isn't the best so takes more time than it should to get used to the combat. Sword play is all about blocking and riposte?.

Shame for anyone to give up after a few hours as it is truly an amazing game.
  • spindle9988 9 May 2013 11:23:21 3,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really wanted to like it. Even went to tescos to buy as they broke release date. The manual was lovely as well but the game just did nothing for me
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 11:30:18
    Combat is very good when you finally understand it all and have upgraded traps and spells.
  • Blerk Moderator 9 May 2013 11:32:10 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh. I was expecting loads of "you're mental, you're doing it wrong, it's the best game in the world!" posts! :D

I think I've played for about 15 hours now, I'm a little way into chapter 2. I've been buying and crafting new swords and kit all the way along, but I still seem to take large amounts of damage very easily. Upgrading my max HP when I level up hasn't helped much.

Blocking and counters for swordplay seem to work okay (sometimes, when I can pull them off) against a single opponent, but most of the time I'm facing multiple enemies and they're no good against a crowd. "Force push" and the one that paralyses people temporarily don't seem to last long enough for me to separate them out properly and get them one-on-one. Fully upgraded the shield but it's basically down after one hit, the fireball's so weedy it may as well not even be there.

Humph.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 May 2013 11:35:12 25,425 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I gave up half way through. Just found it incredibly dull and quite tedious to play.
  • senso-ji 9 May 2013 11:37:07 5,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A tip for making the combat easier; fully power up your Quen Sign.

Edited by senso-ji at 11:37:49 09-05-2013
  • spindle9988 9 May 2013 11:42:30 3,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Give up Blerk. Become a failure like most of us who tried to play it. Get Dragons Dogma instead, its miles better
  • AcidSnake 9 May 2013 11:43:45 7,214 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, and you're adding the various gems and such to them?

Quen is the shield isn't it? That's very useful to upgrade indeed...I also spent no upgrade points in the lower triangle at all...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deckard1 9 May 2013 11:45:21 27,203 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I gave up half way through. Just found it incredibly dull and quite tedious to play.
    Yeah same with me.
  • Blerk Moderator 9 May 2013 11:56:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Hmmm, and you're adding the various gems and such to them?

Quen is the shield isn't it? That's very useful to upgrade indeed...I also spent no upgrade points in the lower triangle at all...
    Yes, I've been adding the mods where I can, although most swords I've had have only had one or two slots so they don't really make that much difference.

Quen is the shield and I've already upgraded it to its maximum level. Even then it only seems to take one or two hits and it's gone so it seems to be of fairly limited use.
  • AcidSnake 9 May 2013 12:01:12 7,214 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite odd then, that's more or less how I played it...
    I assume you're using the silver sword for the monsters and the regular one for the humanoids?

It could just be that you don't click with it but combat never hampered me...

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 12:01:25
    Sounds like you just need to be better at it. :).
    Once you have a few upgrades and understand dodging, counter attacking, potions and traps it is not often challenging.
  • Blerk Moderator 9 May 2013 12:06:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Potions are just plain weird, I'll readily admit to not getting those at all. How am I supposed to know which potions I'll need in advance? Once you're in combat you can't use them, which is crazy. So either I enter combat, die and THEN apply the potions after I reload, which seems like cheating, or I have to somehow second guess what might happen in a minute.
  • Dirtbox 9 May 2013 12:09:00 77,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you're supposed to tailor what you glug to your style of play, you usually get a bit of forewarning before bumbling into something, like you know roughly what you'll be having a rumble with and you choose what looks like a good move. Although tbh, I played through the entire thing without using a single one.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• morriss 9 May 2013 12:09:38 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's called "following the plot." :)

9 times out of 10 you know when you're about to face a difficult battle. So potion-up just before you get there.
  • morriss 9 May 2013 12:10:30 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best RPG this gen for me. One of the best games I've ever played, period, in fact.

:(
  • robthehermit 9 May 2013 12:21:24 3,982 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Witcher 2 is awesome, and one of the few games I've got all the achievements for. The combat takes awhile to click, but yes, it does mostly involve rolling around and nipping in for a quick stab against the tougher enemies. If you want to test various character builds, the easiest way is to fight through the arena a few times, as you go up a level after every fight, as unless I missed something, there's no way to respec during the actual game (unless you count the ridiculously hard hidden boss fight). If you just want the story, drop the difficulty down to easy, and it turns the game into a fairly straightforward hack and slash. My first play through was on Dark, and it was punishing at times, but a lot of fun.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Armoured_Bear 9 May 2013 12:50:02 10,288 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Best RPG this gen for me. One of the best games I've ever played, period, in fact.

:(
    +1

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Blerk Moderator 9 May 2013 13:14:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's frustrating because I really want to like it. I figured I was just crap at it at first and that I would get better with practice, but I don't seem to be progressing at all.

It's like there's an 'oh, I get it!' moment that should've arrived somewhere before the middle of the first chapter that I've somehow managed to miss entirely. Now I've reached chapter 2 it's presuming I know what I'm doing. I suspect one of us is going to be disappointed. :(
  • Page

of 75 First / Last