The Witcher 2 Page 65

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 25 Nov 2012 11:44:55 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm still in Flotsam, loving it, just sorted out poor sad Mr Troll.
    I noticed that the original Witcher game is only a couple of quid, how does it compare?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Stranded87 25 Nov 2012 12:03:31 887 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's not quite as good, but not far off and still stands up well now so if you're enjoying witcher 2 there's no question that you should get it- especially at that price.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Nov 2012 12:18:15 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Stranded87
    Thanks mate, another for the backlog!

• Mr_Sleep 25 Nov 2012 12:22:45 16,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Witcher 1 is a bit more of a slog in length and game mechanics and the combat is really rather different. It uses more of a turn based principle. They really are quite different games in many ways. Still a top notch game though, absolutely love them both.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LionheartDJH 25 Nov 2012 12:26:01 19,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm properly getting into this now after leaving it a couple of months. Really is fantastic. Just at the start of Chapter 2, the choice between Iovoreth and Roche is the hardest I've made in any game, took me about half an hour to decide! So much more depth than the simple dichotomy in Mass Effect/DA2.

I'd also thought about playing the first one but tbh it looks a bit too old-school PC RPG for me and I've heard there's a lot of backtracking which I'm not a fan of.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 12:26:31 25-11-2012

She dives for cheese pasties

• Mr_Sleep 25 Nov 2012 12:32:38 16,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    I'm properly getting into this now after leaving it a couple of months. Really is fantastic. Just at the start of Chapter 2, the choice between Iovoreth and Roche is the hardest I've made in any game, took me about half an hour to decide! So much more depth than the simple dichotomy in Mass Effect/DA2.

I'd also thought about playing the first one but tbh it looks a bit too old-school PC RPG for me and I've heard there's a lot of backtracking which I'm not a fan of.
    Heh, that choice is awesome, makes a massive difference too.

Essentially the combat is a case of timings, as Geralt you click on your opponent and if you do it in proper timing then you score better, sometimes critical, hits. Also, there are three stances to choose from depending on whether it's heavy/weak individuals and groups.

Back tracking in the first one is very much dependent on how much of a completest one is. As long as you ditch some of the more onerous side tasks then it's not too bad.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LionheartDJH 25 Nov 2012 12:46:14 19,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I knew that it completely changes the rest of the game, one of the reasons I couldn't decide! Definitely good for replay value though. I settled on Iovoreth finally, though I did initially pick Roche but reloaded a save during the Loredo mission and went back to choose Iovoreth instead.

Ah right, I usually like to do most of the sidequests etc. but if one is quite boring and long I might leave it (like the Nekker Contract in Flotsam). Might pick it up from a bargain bin/Steam sale at some point and give it a go then, backlog permitting of course!

• Deleted user 25 November 2012 13:12:33
    The choice I found quiet simple. R is corrupt and is part of a war mongering state which is pretty racist. The other is from a race that had suffered this oppression. Nilfgardians? Whilst a dominate force accept all races into their empire and gave the elves their own state in the previous war pre witcher 2. :)
    Of course both sides are deeply flawed but one side is clearly the darker.
    The game portrays the nilfgardians as the villains but then again the books were written by a polish man.
  • JoeBlade 25 Nov 2012 15:08:34 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Of course both sides are deeply flawed but one side is clearly the darker.
    Disagreed, I played both sides to the end and neither is arguably better or worse IMO. Roche's allegiance is questionable but as a person he is entirely honourable and trustworthy (and remember you pick Roche's side, not the people he works for).
    Iorveth does indeed support the opressed but relies on absolutely dispicable methods to achieve his goals. He is quite literally a terrorist.

I'd say that's true of the entire game: no matter how you twist and turn it there are no clearly "better" choices unless you somehow justify them for yourself. Which is one of the main aspects that makes The Witcher as excellent as it is.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2012 17:01:05
    True I agree to an extent but I didn't look at it like choosing a person, I was choosing which cause I wanted to fight for.

Terrorists only terrorise because they have little other options outside giving up their cause.
  • JoeBlade 25 Nov 2012 17:33:15 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    True I agree to an extent but I didn't look at it like choosing a person, I was choosing which cause I wanted to fight for.

Terrorists only terrorise because they have little other options outside giving up their cause.
    Precisely. If you're one who believes the ends justify the means - even if that includes killing innocents - then one side is less dark than another as you say. I don't share that opinion though.

The bottom line for me however is the fact that a game provokes this kind of thoughts and discussions speaks volumes for its storyline :)
  • thefilthandthefury 28 Nov 2012 18:13:57 24,983 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this actually playable with a gamepad? I've only just done the tutorial (using M+KB) and there sheer amount of commands is already piling up... however I WOULD like to be a lazy sod on my sofa as that's how I've been gaming lately.
  • Kostabi 28 Nov 2012 18:39:27 4,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's been a long time since I played it but I remember switching to gamepad and finding the whole thing easier to control.

Nstive 360 pad support if I remember right.
  • thefilthandthefury 28 Nov 2012 21:44:47 24,983 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah good, good. I thought the combat would be a lot easier to control with the pad at least. The keyboard made it kind of... twitchy.
  • onestepfromlost 6 Dec 2012 17:04:57 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so finally got round to starting this after finsihing the first one, and i just feel the controls are a bit clunkier and unresponsive than the first. Also it feels too close in over the shoulder would prefer the camera back a bit. only at the start right enough hopefully ill adjust
  • Vortex808 6 Dec 2012 18:42:18 7,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    so finally got round to starting this after finsihing the first one, and i just feel the controls are a bit clunkier and unresponsive than the first. Also it feels too close in over the shoulder would prefer the camera back a bit. only at the start right enough hopefully ill adjust
    There is a bit of clunkiness, but I felt it resolved itself as I levelled up and got used to it.

The camera was really annoying once or twice in some fights/areas due to being so close though. I thought it was supposed to be patched at some point wasn't it?
  • onestepfromlost 6 Dec 2012 18:56:26 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well the beginning stealth bit was a total pain in the tits, with much reloading, if i very lughty tap the key to move i expect geralt to move a tiny bit not a big loping stride, especially in "stealth" mode.

Maybe the camera has been patched but if so i would have hated to see what it was like before. im wondering if there is a cfg file somewhere i can alter
  • thefilthandthefury 19 Dec 2012 21:33:37 24,983 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really struggling with this. Only started playing a few days ago but it's not grabbing me at all and it's feeling somewhat like a chore... which is a shame as I really like the character!

I'm only at the boss battle with the Kayran but it's felt like I've been slogging through for years already.
  • Vortex808 19 Dec 2012 21:47:39 7,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I felt the bits after that pick up quite a bit. Especially chapter 2.
  • onestepfromlost 20 Dec 2012 00:11:40 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I cant make up my mind on it, i think i preferred the first one, cant put my finger on why though.
  • thefilthandthefury 20 Dec 2012 07:39:12 24,983 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I felt the bits after that pick up quite a bit. Especially chapter 2.
    Hopefully it will, because I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to give up on it to be honest. Sank 11 hours into it so far, all pretty joyless.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 07:39:27 20-12-2012
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 22:55:16 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've made the potion to take on the Kayran next but I've did bugger all with my weapons/armour.
    Any tips?
    I can't be arsed putting that much effort into crafting and I'm a bit clueless.

• Vortex808 27 Dec 2012 23:05:07 7,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just dodge and hit when required. It's a bit shit until you work out how you need to play it.

Make the kayran trap if you can!
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 23:06:31 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Just dodge and hit when required. It's a bit shit until you work out how you need to play it.

Make the kayran trap if you can!
    I think I have the stuff to make the trap, didnt I get that from behind the chieftan dude's house...

• Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 23:07:05 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BTW my crafting/weapon/armour upgrades query is a general one not specific to Kayran...

• Vortex808 27 Dec 2012 23:14:06 7,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I paid folk for all my crafting needs. I only made bombs and potions.

The kayran is a bit of a shit, but easy enough once you know how. Next boss fight was a bit worse. After that you're easily powerful enough imo.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Dec 2012 23:16:35 10,568 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I paid folk for all my crafting needs. I only made bombs and potions.

The kayran is a bit of a shit, but easy enough once you know how. Next boss fight was a bit worse. After that you're easily powerful enough imo.
    Thanks mate, there's a quest in caves that had me overwhelmed, I need to make some bombs for that..

• DUFFMAN5 28 Dec 2012 07:09:47 14,564 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trying to decide to restart this or Dragons Dogma. About 4-6hours played on both games, but have not played either for months,hence need for restart...what to play?

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• AcidSnake 28 Dec 2012 08:38:27 7,238 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About the Kayran trap, you get an essential bit behind Loredo's house, but that isn't the trap...
    You need to get the blueprint for the trap from that friendly elf you talked to earlier just outside the village (I forget his name)...

Kayran prep tactic:
    After that you craft it, equip what you need to, select the right power, drink your desired potions all just before falling of the second to last edge...If anything goes wrong you can restart from there without needing to drink/select stuff every time...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• LionheartDJH 28 Dec 2012 09:09:30 19,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Trying to decide to restart this or Dragons Dogma. About 4-6hours played on both games, but have not played either for months,hence need for restart...what to play?
    Play this Duff! I struggled to get into it at first, played a few hours then left it for a couple of months. Decided to give it another shot though and am really glad I did, fantastic game.

Not that it matters much cos you'll be back on Gears in no time ;)

• Page

of 75 First / Last