Tropico 3 Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 November 2009 17:13:40
    Had a go at this yesterday in Boot Camp, everything runs really nicely with medium/high graphics which is nice.

I really enjoyed myself, but once I'd done a few missions I unlocked access to a whole bunch more so I tried what appeared to be a 'hard' one where you have to stay in power for 30 years or so on an island that's supposedly very unbalanced politically, and even though my finances were very ropey for most of the game (well into the red by around 20,000 most of the time and that was only because I never bothered to create a decent industry until the last third of the game, and I was without a garage for the first half, and also for the middle third only had one teamster unbeknownst to me, because I'd been underpaying) I still romped home when it came to the single election at the end of the 'innings'.

Wondering if it was just me, I had a look at a few forums and the general consensus seems to be that's it's stupidly easy, even on Hard. It's not often I make that complaint, but fun as it is to build your own Tropican republic, it gets a bit dull when there's no challenge.

It is fun though! I love Tropico.
  • JoeBlade 30 Jan 2010 07:43:42 2,509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently this has slipped under the radar (unless there's a stealth thread about) so here goes:
    Steam's doing a weekend deal on Tropico 3, I got it yesterday at a measily 13 euros and some, a real bargain for a very recent builder game as far as I'm concerned.

All things considered it seems like an excellent deal for fans of the genre judging by the time I've put into it thusfar :)
  • phycus 30 Jan 2010 16:24:19 298 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    10.20 on steam this weekend only, normally 29.99 - ends on monday.
  • JoeBlade 30 Jan 2010 17:32:28 2,509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phycus wrote:
    Le sigh...

One post above. JUST ONE!

Oh well, I suppose there's no harm in highlighting it again, it IS a good deal.
  • phycus 30 Jan 2010 18:20:33 298 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    phycus wrote:
    Le sigh...

One post above. JUST ONE!

Oh well, I suppose there's no harm in highlighting it again, it IS a good deal.

no problems thanks for listing the price in sterling and when it ends - glad you post meaningful information.

• Whizzo 14 May 2010 19:06:10 43,060 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a fiver on Steam this weekend, presumably because there's a new expansion released as well, couldn't resist it at that price.

This space left intentionally blank.

• thefilthandthefury 14 May 2010 19:09:43 24,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weird - I was just looking at getting Tropico earlier today and then this gets bumped.

However I'd be needing the 360 one, sadly. Is it worth it? I've played PC-orientated games on the 360 before with no troubles at all (Football Manager, Dragon Age, etc).
  • Deleted user 14 May 2010 19:45:27
    That is a ridiculously good price. Annoyingly though it is PC only and the demo just wasn't good enough for me to put up with logging into Windows to play it. :(
  • Dragul 14 May 2010 19:47:57 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's great fun, El Commandante is here!

I wonder when the expansion will hit steam, anybody knows?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 May 2010 19:55:58 37,664 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Purchased. This better be good!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Whizzo 14 May 2010 19:56:38 43,060 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dragul wrote:I wonder when the expansion will hit steam, anybody knows?
    It's out on the 28th.

• Dragul 14 May 2010 22:52:25 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm an arse mate... It's already out on the "European store"! for 19 euros, the original tropico costed me 10 euros... and now it's at 7 and half euros!
  • Deleted user 15 May 2010 00:55:32
    played the demo ages ago and loved it. finally added steam to my new laptop and found it's only 5! amazing deal! plus, i got torchlight for 7.50 and portal for free. as much as i dislike steam and worry about never owning the games or being able to pass them on when i'm finished it's hard to argue with prices like that.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 May 2010 11:22:34 37,664 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, I've got plenty of money and plenty of builders... So why do buildings get constructed if and when they fucking feel like it?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 15 May 2010 11:24:24 14,033 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because they have a live too!

:)
  • JoeBlade 15 May 2010 11:29:36 2,509 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Right, I've got plenty of money and plenty of builders... So why do buildings get constructed if and when they fucking feel like it?
    Well, all people in the game will follow their day-to-day routine, i.e. satisfying their needs. As long as some needs are low - and most people start with at least one low need - they'll be faffing about trying to raise that bar rather than working.
    Also, all your people have to travel to their jobs before they start to work. When you don't have cars or a proper road system yet this can take quite a while. I find it's better to pack your buildings quite closely at the start of a game for this very reason, esp. as garages are quite expensive compared to buildings that actually generate money.

That being said, I do agree that builders in particular seem to be incredibly susceptible to all this, far more than other workers. Judging by the dev's forum posts we're not alone in this either, but the official response is "that's just how the game works".
  • Zidargh 17 May 2010 13:38:24 1,671 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mate its the Tropico way of life.

They don't live to work, they work to live!
  • Dragul 20 May 2010 18:12:58 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anybody bought Absolute Power?
  • Deleted user 20 May 2010 20:25:52
    Are there any simple guides out there that provide general tips for success? I'm not looking for info on how to tackle specific situations but general advice on how to make a game run more smoothly.

For example, the relationship between available jobs and unemployment, the average wages and necessary housing, how food production works and tropicans get fed - finally, how the road networks and garages bring all of this together.
  • Tiger_Walts 20 May 2010 21:26:07 16,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Here is what I've noticed. Other people may have their own views but it's a good start for a discussion.

Unemployed tropicans will fill an available employment position if they are educated enough, the right gender and the job pays a decent enough wage with respect to the Caribbean average. Pay too low and you wont fill all the positions, pay too much and you'll get tropicans deserting jobs at other locations to get more pay.

With housing, tropicans will live anywhere even to the extent of building shanty towns. These however are poor living conditions and you get no rent out of them. Tropicans will put up with any type of residence but will tend to flock to the better living conditions and are driven away if the rent takes up too big a percentage of their wage. As a game progresses tropicans will expect higher wages and better living conditions but will put up with tenements for a long while.

Food is produced at farms, ranches and fisheries. Units of food are automatically taken to the docks by teamsters and will produce income for the island. Tropicans need to eat too and will periodically travel to a food producing site to stock up on meals for their family. Since you'll be putting farms all over, you should build markets near to residential areas. Teamsters will transport food there automatically and tropicans no longer need to make the long trek.

Lastly, roads and garages. Every tropican can go to a garage and get a vehicle and drive to their desired destination. They will do this if it's quicker than walking. Some service specific buildings like construction and police have their own garages and will provide a vehicle if a worker requires one. It's important to point out that the vehicles only exist for the journey out, upon arrival the vehicle will return to a garage. You need to place garages near to places tropicans will often travel from. So mainly dense residential areas, farm clusters and remote ports and airports.

Garages and roads can get congested, adding an extra garage is an easy fix but not always viable. You should build residences, of appropriate quality and rent, near to farms. Farmers spend most time either at a farm or at home with the odd visit to church, a doctor or to seek entertainment so this arrangement is optimal. A good way to get used to where to place housing is to under-house and wait for shanties to appear, they'll pop up where housing is most needed.

Building a large residential area with all the amenities is a good idea but make sure it's not located so that it has one main thoroughfare leading to it. This will cause congestion when the tropicans all go to work. If you can't build a single central population centre with plenty of access then split it into many smaller ones.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• ScoutTech 20 May 2010 21:39:00 2,423 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I read that the acceptable housing rate is a third rounded down per person. So a single person earning $7 will live in a $2 accommodation.
  • Whizzo 20 May 2010 21:39:02 43,060 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't realise until this evening you can get El Presidente to go talk to people peacefully protesting to calm them down.

To be honest I just wish my avatar in full naval uniform and shades would just shoot them but that's not an option. At least not yet, maybe if I get some secret police I can do the killing? :-)

/wishes the smaller garages from the expansion pack were in the original version

• Tiger_Walts 20 May 2010 21:50:37 16,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    I think I read that the acceptable housing rate is a third rounded down per person. So a single person earning $7 will live in a $2 accommodation.

That's what I've been using as a rule of thumb. It seemed right to set it like that and it seemed to work. College graduates earning 20 didn't like the rent at 7 but filled up accomodation when set to 6.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Deleted user 20 May 2010 22:30:29
    thank you for the tips. i understand the need for each facility and am beginning to see the correlation between available jobs, nearby housing and access via roads and garages. from my farms i can see a majority of food is eaten by the population, with a small amount being taken to the docks. producing items like tobacco will go straight to the docks for export, as i don't have a cigar factory due to lack of high school educated citizens.

it's very interesting to see how you need to balance expansion and please various factions as you progress. i do encounter some peaceful protests, well i hear them but don't see them it seems.

regarding the housing - what is the reasoning behind the divide by three and round down? is it based on % of salary a citizen is willing to spend on housing. does the size of the household have an effect?

it would appear tenements are for single citizens, apartments seem to house 2 or 3 family members at a time.
  • Lexx87 21 Nov 2010 01:20:11 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3.75 on the Impulse sale!

Bought!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 21 Nov 2010 10:41:22 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sunday bump!

Speak the truth hussy!

• graysonavich 21 Nov 2010 11:06:47 7,320 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Couldn't resist it back in May when it was under a fiver. It's great fun.

If only there was a better way to get those lazy construction workers to build quicker I'd probably buy the expansion too.
  • Lexx87 21 Nov 2010 11:07:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lazy cubans..

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 4 First / Last