Mount and Blade: WarBand Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• magicpanda 18 Jul 2011 12:21:34 13,008 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pitched Battle: Mount & Blade Glasgow Fuck d'ye want?
  • Salaman 18 Jul 2011 12:30:54 18,248 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Save regularly. When caught, escape, exit without saving. Load.

Bah, surely that's cheating :)

Yeah but hey. I'm not that good at games. I need to cheat.
  • Dr_Mech 20 Jul 2011 07:32:06 940 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My favorite thing to do was get about 30-40 guys together, train them up to a decent degree then start harrassing Carvans of one particular faction I didn't like the look of or was ages away so I could travel fairly safely in the surrounding area.

Gets you rich pretty damn quick with all the goods they bring and if you get lucky they might be carrying decent equipment, managed to get Mail with Tabard (which costs a fortune) from one caravan and a really nice horse.
  • Machetazo 12 Apr 2012 14:16:56 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M&B Warband: Napoleonic Wars expansion spotted. Due for release later this month. It looks from the description as if authenticity and scale are design choices they've focused on.
  • Salaman 12 Apr 2012 16:40:17 18,248 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    *sigh* I never got far with this. I played the original for hours and hours. Then ended up in a war I was really unable to win. I could take castles but I struggled holding them.

Bought warband to get back into it but I never got far. Maybe played it 10 hours. Didn't level up much. Didn't do all that well in building my troops and stuff. It's a pity, shooting people from horseback with bow and arrow was so satisfying.
  • President_Weasel 12 Apr 2012 17:19:09 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just got back into Warband after not playing for a while, and McFighterson's Kingdom now owns about a third of Calradia.
    Managing the lords is an annoyance, although not actually that difficult, it's just having to have feasting sessions to un-disgruntle your lords every time you pass out a few fiefs gets dull fast. The fact that lords who like you minus amounts won't turn up to your feasts, when they are precisely the ones you most want to fix your relationship with, is particularly irksome.

Is the Napoleonic one multiplayer only? The description says "multiplayer expansion"
  • hypoBla5t 12 Apr 2012 19:15:10 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What ho all!!

If I'm gonna get one of these games as they're all on sale at the mo which one is the best to go for? Think someone said the original is best on the steam sale thread.
  • Fatiguez 12 Apr 2012 19:29:43 8,655 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nah, Warband is better. The single player isn't massively different, but it's slightly more polished and you get multiplayer. I think Warband is actually cheaper than the original, no?
  • Fatiguez 12 Apr 2012 19:43:32 8,655 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, I just read the Steam thread. That was talking about Warband (2nd game) compared to Fire & Sword (3rd game), which is indeed inferior. Warband has been the best so far, get that and enjoy the still-unmatched combat.
  • hypoBla5t 13 Apr 2012 21:58:37 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TY Fatiguez for the recommendation btw, purchased & added to the backlog...
  • onestepfromlost 13 Apr 2012 22:33:27 1,966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ok so i bought the complete collection ( as though i dont have enough bloody unplayed games) so am i better just playing warband and skipping right over the original and fire and sword? any mods people can recommend? or any good starter guides to get me up and running?
  • Zaiz 14 Apr 2012 01:47:06 370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wercheg to Reyvadin salt trade is one of the better ones tbh. Reyvadin is always out of salt, Wercheg is always full of it.
  • Dr_Mech 20 May 2012 23:37:40 940 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok the new DLC is out, Napoleonic Wars and I'm freaking loving it.

For some reason the whole muskets and cannons multiplayer appealed to me more than vanilla Mount & Blade warband multiplayer does.

I'd recommend anyone giving it a try.
  • munki83 2 Jun 2012 20:06:18 1,332 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech +1

Bought it last night as I have just started playing mount and blade and NW has eaten up my whole saturday. Not sure why as it takes ages to reload and you die easily but its oddly fun. And the music is awesome :D
  • hypoBla5t 18 Aug 2012 18:22:29 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So finally cracked this open. Awesome.

What am I supposed to do then? At the moment I'm kinda asking people for quests. Got to deliver a letter to someone but any find him, been chasing where he's reported to be but it now seems he's besieging somewhere so I can't deliver it. Nevermind.

Anyway, I've also been raiding bandits and killing them and taking their shit. Recruiting people. Is that the general idea? Should I be building towards a goal of some sort?
  • urban 18 Aug 2012 20:20:02 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Becoming a Vassal to a realm is a good way to find a purpose.
    Also, Ctrl + Space when travelling will save you HOURS in this game. watching a singular horseman travel across the entire map gets pretty tiresome.

Edited by urban at 20:28:38 18-08-2012
  • hypoBla5t 19 Aug 2012 17:33:08 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers pro.

Made my mistakes and read around so starting a new character. Putting a right saucy band together. Next stop, the world!! Or something.
  • Fatiguez 19 Aug 2012 17:39:25 8,655 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you haven't tried it yet, get yourself a horse and any polearm you can find. There are few feelings more satisfying than galloping around taking people down with couched lance strikes.
  • Cosquae 19 Aug 2012 19:14:52 1,090 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're fun for primary strikes but get stuck in, and you will, then a lance is mostly useless. I stick with a one handed war hammer myself so as to be able to collect prisoners after.

I keep the lance work for the tournaments.
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Aug 2012 19:36:40 5,879 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But trying to not get stuck within a bunch of enemies and picking them off one by one with precision lance strikes is exhilarating.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• urban 22 Aug 2012 07:07:38 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Napoleonic wars 2 on Steam, the whole collection cheapened in a Midweek madness!
  • urban 22 Aug 2012 21:42:26 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hope you all caught this
  • orpheus 23 Aug 2012 15:26:00 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • orpheus 23 Aug 2012 15:26:14 984 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ajay 28 Aug 2012 03:29:54 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I caught this in the sale, and so far I've played the various tutorials though primarily NW for the multiplayer (the main reason I bought it), so my experience so far is pretty much limited to that - and so far, it's like a cheesy action film in that it feels technically terrible but it's tons of fun regardless.

As I say, my only real experience so far extends to NW, how much of which I don't know is demonstrative of the main game, but it's the sheer spectacle that's carrying it for me. The melee/horseback combat so far seems completely terrible - in the tutorial I found it impossible to hit the targets, or my horse would crash to a stop as if hitting a concrete bollard, and in-game melee combat seems to come down to who waggles their bayonet in the arbitrary right way to score a kill - but the core of the game is sound.

Am I missing something fundamental with the melee? Fair enough if so, though it feels like a complete lottery despite the tutorials, but it's fantastically dumb fun regardless - the combination of inherently shit weapons and melee is a gold mine of laughs.
  • urban 28 Aug 2012 12:21:17 10,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The horseback combat is really good once you get a handle on distances, the hit detection is legitimately solid.

Melee is about distances and speed.

Using a bayonet needs a fair bit of travel distance before it'll start delivering damage, if you're to close it'll just bounce off. If you play the single player and leave auto block on you'll see the functionality of what you should be trying to do online.

Using a shield is a very good place to start.
  • Ajay 28 Aug 2012 21:30:34 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Righto - cheers! If it's just me being crap that's fine; like I say, I've only played NW multi so far and the bayonets only attack in a straight line so it's seemed a bit of a dice roll for me to duel someone else with one.

Sounds like the standard SP is a good training opportunity then, thanks for the tips, will definitely give that a shot. I've still had tons of fun in the short space of time though, there's really nothing else like it.
  • Tryhard 27 Nov 2012 10:55:48 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got Warband in the steam deal,enjoyed the demo but never got round to buying.

So my Nord does the usual little jobs to earn some money and hire some troops.Then gets drawn into chasing bandits and destroying their camps.
    And for some reason the Khanate kingdom suffers my first wraith with looting and burning one of their villages.

Money starts to build,troops start to become dogs of war.An oil press is built which brings in 100 profit.

For some reason I am drawn to the Swadia and end up defending their lands,and attacking their enemies.I fall to my knees and become a follower of the King of Swadia,who rewards me with a little village.In this village I decide to build a mill to bring in some more riches.

While all this is going on my guy is visiting some Princess once a week.
    While looting the enemy of my King,Vaegir villages.

I am in the Kingdom of Heaven,20k treasure, 71 hardened blood thirsty vets,who have not suffered a single death in many weeks.And a banner fluttering over my shoulders.What could go wrong?

The Rhodoks and Nords declare war on the Swadia,my village and all other villages are soon burning.Everywhere I turn I hit enemy warbands ,and slowly my troops are being captured in rearguard actions as I flee.

Then a stupid move,I go to hit the Rhodoks back by looting a village.And three armies attack.The Kingdom of Heaven is now a Rhodok prison cell.

I escape with 5 warriors and 14k.The bandits that fled from my path now flocked to us like sharks.My scythe cuts its way through them all the way back to a Swadia castle to catch my breath.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last