Mount and Blade: WarBand Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• hiddenranbir 8 May 2011 16:13:14 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How are you letting Brytenwalda crash :(

F&S isn't a rip off of anything. It's original version was an Eastern european only release made between Vanilla and WB.

How is it fun losing all your money/equipment/men because some bastard got a lucky headshot?

Luck nuffin'. You keep your head behind that shield if you want to direct charge bowmen.

That is the nature of war. After my capture, I returned home, ordered my town recruiters to go out and bring me 50 men back each. After a few days I had 200 men back under my command, not counting the garrison I had anyway.

Brytenwalda also has the constable that can -train- your garrisons for you, so they'll level up while you do other stuff.

WAAAR!

FWB: http://www.taleworlds.com/

You basically download the main game, stays as trial version until you unlock. If it is like it used to be, the limitations are you can't rise above level 5. That'll still be a lot of game!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yay, found one of my companions!
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667864731643/8AE2E531AD89A29EB85B71F37B85A139D0A8A1E8/

My war-band has been raised again! Thanks to my high renown I can name them. They are The Legion, scourge of Britannia! http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667864732554/63CFCBC22CDF2AF28DCB30CC8B70777F945F9A37/
  • FWB 8 May 2011 16:44:03 41,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers guys. Might have a look tonight. Merci.
  • urban 8 May 2011 16:46:37 10,893 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well in Native and Warband if you get captured it basically means game over. No money, no horse, no weapons. Might as well retire.
  • hiddenranbir 8 May 2011 17:12:08 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Native is shit, stop playing it!
  • Hydrogene 8 May 2011 21:00:15 103 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As my first playthrough I'm quite enjoying the native game. I find Brytenwalda really nice but too difficult for me at the moment.
  • Salaman 8 May 2011 21:22:54 18,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Well in Native and Warband if you get captured it basically means game over. No money, no horse, no weapons. Might as well retire.

It means you reload the last savegame for me.
    I'm playing the first game though. Never did get warband.
  • hiddenranbir 8 May 2011 21:57:28 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit just got real:

Battle Time (mod) (other mods are integrating this too, like Brytenwalda!)

Features:
    - Play your campaign in singleplayer and your battles in multiplayer.
    - When you fight a battle, siege, or attack a village, host a multiplayer game so your friends can help you win the fight.
  • FWB 8 May 2011 22:09:25 41,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just been pissing about with this. Runs alright actually, but then it does look over five years old. But that doesn't matter cos it is about the gameplay. Not got deep enough into it to judge it all, but so far so good. Just finished my last game when I got massacred by 16 horsemen against my 6 plebs with sticks. Still, the fighting was pretty cool while it lasted. Can't hit shit though.

• hiddenranbir 9 May 2011 10:55:28 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Battle mod is compatible with native saves!

If you ever get in a trouble battle, I'll come and help you! :D
  • Hydrogene 9 May 2011 21:15:22 103 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Just been pissing about with this. Runs alright actually, but then it does look over five years old. But that doesn't matter cos it is about the gameplay. Not got deep enough into it to judge it all, but so far so good. Just finished my last game when I got massacred by 16 horsemen against my 6 plebs with sticks. Still, the fighting was pretty cool while it lasted. Can't hit shit though.

Glad to know it's working! don't worry, I've been playing 37 hours (/checks Steam) and I'm just starting to hit stuff with a lance... some big stuff anyway, like horses ;)
  • FWB 10 May 2011 08:19:40 41,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's actually good that you struggle at an early level. Wouldn't make sense to be able to smite everyone.

Had some battles with 30 odd guys and still running fine. Will get the full version for sure. Do the mods require extra computer power?
  • hiddenranbir 10 May 2011 11:16:14 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A far amount, depending on what they've added. The meatier the mod the longer it will take to load. (the new game initial load is where the time is most spent)

• Hydrogene 10 May 2011 17:12:51 103 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I noticed Brytenwalda took MUCH longer to load than native, but the framerates seem quite similar. What's the reason for the long load times?
  • magicpanda 10 May 2011 17:22:56 13,007 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The 5 million extra towns but it's mainly textures I think.

It's very unstable on my machine so I stuck with vanilla now I've invested so much time into my current game.
  • hiddenranbir 10 May 2011 17:31:22 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hydrogene wrote:
    I noticed Brytenwalda took MUCH longer to load than native, but the framerates seem quite similar. What's the reason for the long load times?

Just the crap load of extra stuff thumped into the game that now has to be loaded/processed.
  • FWB 10 May 2011 18:03:12 41,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I'm still enjoying the vanilla demo. Forgotten how great PC gaming was.
  • hiddenranbir 10 May 2011 18:39:10 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hadn't played Prophecy of Pendor in ages, tried it now as it is for Warband. Voice, acting, nice level of polish.

Nice (light)touch of fantasy in this one.
  • magicpanda 11 May 2011 14:53:27 13,007 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is cracking lunchtime gaming. Runs on shit work machines and is a great laugh over LAN.

Stick it on Deathmatch, Arena level, 10k cash, add 50 bots and start the game.

Once the game starts set bots to 0 and they will slowly die off leaving just the players standing at the end to fight it out man to man for the last few kills.

HAVE AT THEE MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Dr_Mech 16 May 2011 15:35:02 940 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been playing this quite a bit recent.

I see what people mean when they say there's nothing quite like Mount and Blade out there.

Got the Blood and Steel mod installed since it actually means getting hit with an Arrow HURTS rather than piddly damage they do on native.

Of course this means that the player getting hit with them hurts too.

Still having problems hitting stuff on horseback but then I prefer two handed melee weapons for cleaving face rather than lances. More often than not I'll ride up close to the fight, dismount and then set about smooshing faces with a hulking great war axe.
  • hiddenranbir 16 May 2011 15:39:53 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just gotta ride beside and slash! http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667868965535/CAD4391BB52833C67A4B7D580B307711D9251B5F/

• Popzeus 16 May 2011 15:41:01 8,250 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downloaded this at the weekend after a good piece on RPS brought it to my attention.

Jury's still out for me, but then I've not had more than 6 ill-disciplined yokels in my army yet.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Dr_Mech 17 May 2011 21:22:45 940 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right tried out the cRPG mod over the last couple of days.

While it is fun at first, yes your a peasant and thus stand the same chance of living through a fight as a medieval peasant would, though I did manage 2 kills as a Peasant (one was a surprise Pitchfork to the neck as someone tried to break a shield wall, hah take that you sword wielding git!).

I think it's the fact that because Mount and Blade is realistic in that one...possibly two sword hits and your dead...doesn't lend itself well to the whole 'progression' type thing in Multiplayer as it does in single player. No matter how good your character gets, you're just one crossbow bolt to the face away from instant death.

The Maul, in Single Player it is unblockable, it crushes through any block attempts and thus is good for smashing through infantry using two handed weapons. However in the cRPG mod, it is prefectly able to be blocked and the knock down only happens every so often. I saw it as a good counter to other two hand weapon users, only it has no advantage over them and is slower than the sword or axe.

Cavalry (in cRPG's case, someone who has gotten a horse) continue their status in Multiplayer as they do in Single player in that they can wipe out large swathes of infantry with not too much difficutly, especially if picking on the lower levels who have little to no armour.

Got to level 15 and simply went, "yeah, not enjoying myself, I get 1, maybe 2 kills every so often for god knows how many deaths in return, the game isn't fun enough for me to warrant actually putting the effort in, in order to get better at it." In singleplayer I couldn't hit ANYTHING while riding a horse when I first started, now I can atleast hit something 50% of the time for example.

Normally I see improvement in a couple of hours, possible a few days in playing a game and it is encouraging, I see myself getting better, learning tactics and generally being atleast semi-decent at the game.

This is of course the cRPG multiplayer mod, normal multiplayer, is fine in quick bursts, you're still going to die...a LOT and subsequently be sitting on your backside doing nothing for 2-3 minutes at a time but it's not too bad. Definitely recommend sticking with the Singleplayer though unless you have lots of friends.

Now if they could combine the online/co-op campaigns of Empire/Shogun total war with the setting and mechanics of Mount and Blade. That would be awesome.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Jun 2011 19:03:20 1,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been considering buying the original and the exapansions, whats the verdict will it take over my life, should i mod it when i do get it ? whats the opinion.
  • Salaman 17 Jun 2011 20:23:39 18,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played the original for over 50 hours. Defintily a time sink.
    Playing warband now.

No mods on either at the moment.

Go for it!
  • PenguinJim 18 Jun 2011 02:53:43 5,454 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't see any special offers on at the moment, but surely it'll be in Steam's summer sale? The sale should start before the end of June. ^^
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 Jun 2011 13:33:29 35,172 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started a new campaign (vanilla M&B:W) and it all went rather swimmingly - quick levelling, lots of renown, enough cash, etc. - but Christ, I support the Swadians, and I've never before seen a faction get so utterly destroyed. They have a (long) war going on with both the faction in the North and the on in the South, and they basically split the Swadian territory between them. The Swadians have one town left, and a handful of villages. :p
  • Metalfish 27 Jun 2011 13:53:54 8,689 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The personalities of nobles is randomised on world creation, so sometimes you get really crappy people in charge of factions, hence the slaughter. Those are the best ones to find claimants for, as you're more likely to get people on your side.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Jun 2011 21:37:45 5,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So the Three Kingdoms mod is out now for Warband. Put the DW games (all 4000 of them) and they manage to pale in comparison. MOUNT AND BLADE!
  • JoeBlade 5 Jul 2011 22:08:35 2,413 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got this in the Steam sale just yesterday and I must say I very much enjoy it. Feels a bit like Elite with swords and horses, if that comparison makes any sense :)

Granted, the combat's a bit clunky and the game doesn't look too great but it's definitely one of the better sandboxes I've visited in recent years. I can see myself sinking quite a bit of time into it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Jul 2011 22:16:45 35,172 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    and the game doesn't look too great but.

It doesn't, until you realise what the engine is made for are battles with dozens of men at the same time. It can look quite great when 100+ people on horses are clashing. :) You can try a skirmish battle from the main menu if you want to have a quick look...

• Page

of 5 First / Last