Nearly got suckered by a phishing email!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • jerrymanu 10 Sep 2009 10:27:09 3,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Caution!

Just got this email to my business address:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taxpayer ID: (my name here)-00000174073547US
    Tax Type: INCOME TAX
    Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)

Please review your tax statement on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website (click on the link below):

review tax statement for taxpayer id: (my name here)-00000174073547US

Internal Revenue Service

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I crapped my pants! No one wants the IRS on there arse. I realised it was prolly suss, as I don't actually live in the USA ;-) and the name in the address is actually my nick name :) Just to confirm I pasted "Unreported/Underreported Income" into google and snopes returns this article. Glad I did cos, as snopes says, its a clever one this. Emails from a feared all seeing institution are a touch more persuasive than ones about cock pills on special offer!

Be carefull, you have been warned!

• the_dudefather 10 Sep 2009 10:29:43 9,296 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My Bank of America online account has been hacked and I have to log in really quickly to resolve it

I haven't got one, but I better get an account now before it's too late

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• chopsen 10 Sep 2009 10:32:42 16,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You nearly got suckered by an email pretending to be from the IRS when you don't live in America?

What will you give me for these magic beans?
  • JuanKerr 10 Sep 2009 10:33:53 36,280 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It might not be a scam - I've got 2 million winging its way to my bank account from some nice Nigerian chap.
  • jerrymanu 10 Sep 2009 10:42:24 3,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    You nearly got suckered by an email pretending to be from the IRS when you don't live in America?

What will you give me for these magic beans?

:D Thats the thing though, I had to double take as IRS is a term so often referred to that it took me a minute to realise IRS = USA, HM Revenue and Customs = UK. Trust me, when your self employed any reference to TAX can make you come out in a cold sweat and lose the ability to think rationally!

Magic you say?..........well, I have a goose that lays golden eggs. Would that be enough?
  • jerrymanu 10 Sep 2009 10:43:46 3,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    It might not be a scam - I've got 2 million winging its way to my bank account from some nice Nigerian chap.

Me too! It's surprising, in this day and age, that you can meet some honest, friendly people. Happy day are here again :D
  • otto Moderator 10 Sep 2009 10:49:47 49,320 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jerrymanu wrote:
    No one wants the IRS on there arse. I realised it was prolly suss, as I don't actually live in the USA ;-)
    I'm sorry but this is one of the funniest things I've ever read!

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• chiefian 10 Sep 2009 10:53:15 475 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey at least you didn't fall for it. :)
  • jerrymanu 10 Sep 2009 10:55:07 3,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    jerrymanu wrote:
    No one wants the IRS on there arse. I realised it was prolly suss, as I don't actually live in the USA ;-)
    I'm sorry but this is one of the funniest things I've ever read!

:D
  • Merlinho 10 Sep 2009 11:00:54 5,909 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My father had one recently saying he was owed a rebate from HMRC, it actually looked like a very offical HMRC email, and he was expecting some HMRC communication for his business, but the fact it was asking for his credit card details on which to put the rebate looked a bit suss.

He actually called HMRC, who said "yeah, we've heard about something like that". He offered to forward it, but they weren't interested... :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Sep 2009 11:01:37 38,347 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey where's Retroid? Oh fuck it... I'll do it myself...

/joey

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Ziz0u 18 Jan 2013 09:26:08 8,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tried to change my Hotmail password yesterday. I tried to do it via hotmail.com rather than through my actual email settings, but got distracted halfway and stopped.

Today as if by magic I received a legit looking email saying I need to change my password. I filled it in and as I pressed submit I realized that it was actually a phony.

What do I need to do now? I have changed my password properly now, and I'm running a virus scan on my PC. Anything else I should be doing?
  • AcidSnake 18 Jan 2013 09:54:18 7,282 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Change your password on any other sites that used the same password...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Ziz0u 18 Jan 2013 09:58:24 8,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only used it on Xbox Live, but changing it on Hotmail, changed it for XBL as well.

I'm trying to think where else I used that password... Not internet banking thank fuck.
  • boo 18 Jan 2013 10:02:54 11,794 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Print off all your emails and then delete the account, create a new email account and type all your emails back in.

Safe!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Ziz0u 18 Jan 2013 10:10:01 8,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :-P
  • the_dudefather 18 Jan 2013 10:30:21 9,296 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh no, my runescape account has been hacked again!

Edited by the_dudefather at 10:30:46 18-01-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next