Torchlight Page 4

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• TriggerHippie 28 Oct 2009 15:00:54 77 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eh? Without a lobby full of tards waving their electronic cocks in the air? Madness!
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Oct 2009 15:53:55 35,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lord wrote:
    endintears wrote:
    offline Diablo 2 was pointless as soon as you realised you could hex-edit your character.

or you could just play the game as designed and enjoy it properly? :-\

Yeah, this. I find the mechanics and zen-like clicking are fun in itself. I just don't understand the whole achievements/rankings/meta-gaming trend, I suppose.
  • morriss 28 Oct 2009 15:54:50 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got this yesterday. Didn't have time to play more than abou 10 mins though. I'll give it a closer look tonight.
  • hoof 28 Oct 2009 16:34:43 823 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Knew nothing about this game before seeing this thread, getting excited and trying the demo. It is a pretty great dungeon crawl/loot whore experience. The demo was more than enough to convince me to grab the full game, and so far it does a good job of finding the click-kill-loot sweet spot and putting me in a trance of stats and items. Between this and Borderlands I am almost seeing green blue and purple items when I shut my eyes.
  • Dirtbox 28 Oct 2009 21:16:49 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, you seem to be able to make massively overpowered items if you keep giving the same thing over and over to the guy that enchants stuff. I'm only level 24 and I'm punching well over my weight thanks for some vastly pimped out 370 damage swords.

Also it's occurred to me that the game might be pretty huge give the amount of space there is to fit places on the waypoint portal menu.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• speedofthepuma 28 Oct 2009 21:20:01 13,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's too slow and choppy on my netbook unfortunately.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• JoeBlade 28 Oct 2009 21:28:20 2,413 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone tried transmutation yet? I'd love to but there are just so incredibly many things to combine I wouldn't know where to begin :)

I assume items with 'tiers' are the most obvious ones (e.g. several weak potions one stronger potion)
  • Dirtbox 28 Oct 2009 22:56:53 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only done gems so far, but I expect it works like Diablo 2's. 2 rings for a necklace, a weapon and a gem for a socketed weapon. That type of thing.

• Deleted user 28 October 2009 23:02:26
    http://i34.tinypic.com/a2abd1.png

mbp couchlooting :-)
  • magicpanda 28 Oct 2009 23:03:47 13,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I restarted a few times and each time it's been different layouts apart from a few set quests.

Got an alchemist on the go at the moment at the hard setting and it's really quite tricky.
  • Dirtbox 28 Oct 2009 23:57:49 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm well into Epic gear now, there's pretty much no reason to hoard anything for "later" as before long you'll always find something that trounces it from orbit. 400 damage unique swords and hammers? No problem.

• BCrowe 29 Oct 2009 00:04:59 516 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played for several hours tonight, this game will definitely ease the wait for Diablo 3. I'd easily play on through the night if I had a bit less willpower.
  • jellyhead 29 Oct 2009 00:11:29 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've come to that conclusion too, DB. I'm keeping some of the low level rare and unique weapons in my stash for my next characters to use though so they can start dishing out the hurt early on. Everything else is either used or stockpiled on my cat and sent back to the stores.

Is the sale price rubbish for everyone else too?

I'm loving putting spells on my pet who now wanders around buffing it's elemental damage and casting fireballs. I might get it healing instead but i'm not exactly short on health potions at the moment.

Good times :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Dirtbox 29 Oct 2009 12:46:30 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a skill on the tree that gets you better prices.

• RunningMan 29 Oct 2009 12:55:44 2,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a good interview with the devleopers on idel thumbs podcast this week. 11 month turnaround on the whole project!
  • DodgyPast 29 Oct 2009 13:40:23 8,337 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Hmm, you seem to be able to make massively overpowered items if you keep giving the same thing over and over to the guy that enchants stuff. I'm only level 24 and I'm punching well over my weight thanks for some vastly pimped out 370 damage swords.

Also it's occurred to me that the game might be pretty huge give the amount of space there is to fit places on the waypoint portal menu.
    Just watch out, I had the crushing disappointment of having all my enchantments wiped from a unique item I was buffing.

The transmuting guy just converts magic items into gems and then combines the same sized gems to upgrade them.

I tend to stick all my magic loot that useless in there.

I went for the dual wielding and martial expertise skill tree, mildly boring as I don't have much need for kick ass special moves, but efficient as hell. Especially when both weapons are stealing HP from your enemies.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Oct 2009 14:00:30 35,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The game exaggerates a little. Be it loot, or potions, or skills. I never really need to use my normal attack - even as a melee class who hasn't invested a single point in magic, I can just spam all my special moves all the time, and never run out of mana (potions).

Really like it a lot, but the whole balancing is a bit off.
  • jellyhead 29 Oct 2009 14:20:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You've just built a super tank! Well done! \0/
    I'm sure there's a few balancing issues in the game somewhere but for the price and the enjoyment i'm getting i'm not sure i care at the moment :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Hantheman 29 Oct 2009 14:37:08 540 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    The game exaggerates a little. Be it loot, or potions, or skills. I never really need to use my normal attack - even as a melee class who hasn't invested a single point in magic, I can just spam all my special moves all the time, and never run out of mana (potions).

Really like it a lot, but the whole balancing is a bit off.

Tbf you'd get that with any melee class in Diablo 2 with a mana leech weapon.
  • Dirtbox 29 Oct 2009 15:26:26 76,340 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the balance is completely off. As far as I can tell I'm completely unstoppable but it's still loads of fun.

• Deleted user 29 October 2009 15:39:55
    I started on normal but that was a snooze fest. Hard seems a bit more interesting, especially if you don't play the melee guy. Had quite a nice fight with the first big boss.
  • magicpanda 29 Oct 2009 15:56:03 13,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jozzy wrote:
    I started on normal but that was a snooze fest. Hard seems a bit more interesting, especially if you don't play the melee guy. Had quite a nice fight with the first big boss.

Same, the Alchemist can be pretty tricky.

Seems the mines are pretty piss easy regardless of difficulty but after buying some Portal Maps and going through the odd random phase portal things become a lot more challenging.
  • WinterSnowblind 29 Oct 2009 16:53:10 1,190 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completely missed this game until seeing all these topics hyping it, and I really enjoyed the demo. But as others have said, why the lack of multiplayer? I'll probably still buy the game, eventually but even just 2 player co-op would have made this a must have.

Playing a game like this by yourself really takes away a lot of the fun, it seems almost ludicrous to release a single player only one.
  • DodgyPast 29 Oct 2009 16:57:38 8,337 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The guy asking you to find items for him to sell tends to send you into harder versions of the mines that you're belting through.

The loot seems to be a lighter, but always rather more powerful.
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Oct 2009 16:59:49 35,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What can be pretty difficult are the random dungeons you can buy from some of the shops (in map/scroll form). First one I entered, I died a split-second later. :)
  • Deleted user 29 October 2009 18:50:17
    Was I the only one that played for a few hours before finding out the pet has it's own inventory bag? I opened this by accident, took me another half an hour to find out how to open it.
  • Hicksy 29 Oct 2009 21:57:26 2,590 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tempted by this if it wasn't for the fact that the dungeons are randomized :|
  • hypersp 30 Oct 2009 10:51:22 110 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You think maybe they will have some sort quick leveling system near end game, like baal runs?
  • Balboa 30 Oct 2009 13:58:10 442 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hicksy wrote:
    Tempted by this if it wasn't for the fact that the dungeons are randomized :|

The main dungeons aren't randomly generated. They're designed by hand; sections have multiple variations that are randomly chosen when you enter.

You can also buy map scrolls from the magic vendor. These are a bit more random; I think they're selecting from a pool of connecting pieces based on whatever theme it's using.
  • Kain201 30 Oct 2009 16:44:48 1,616 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The official unofficial Torchlight group. Discuss loot, modding, loot and your favorite pet. Did I mention loot?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last