• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Venkman90 11 Mar 2010 08:55:10 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SPAM wrote:
    Torchlight on consoles soon.

ORGASM!

I think it would be the perfect XBLA title tbh, endless replay value...maybe online co-op? :o

Edit: and yes, the contols would be easy, Sacred 2 was better contol wise on consoles so they could use the same mapping system :)
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2010 13:14:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just saw that on Kotaku, I'd love this to turn up on XBLA! I really got into the demo but it was already chugging on my machines before I got to the end of that little section of the game.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2010 13:27:17
    Blerk wrote:
    Just saw that on Kotaku, I'd love this to turn up on XBLA!
    Then it will also be on EG frontpage soon.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2010 13:27:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meow! :-D
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2010 13:28:53 33,601 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this needs an iphone version.... STAT
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Mar 2010 13:38:41 35,605 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lost the motivation to go on after I beat the main boss. The game continues (infinitely?) in a "sidequest" dungeon, so to speak, but it only uses mobs and tilesets from the mainquest. :-(

Good fun while it lasted though, mind!
  • Veracity 12 Mar 2010 22:34:53 352 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    The game continues (infinitely?)
    (From memory) player character can get to level 100 and foozles keep scaling indefinitely even past that (with dungeon level when you're in the alt dungeon, though base level is pegged to character level when you first go in there). Equipment, however, only scales up to a base level of ~60, and it's already recycled everything with "epic" slapped on the front once even then. As I assume you'd agree, given your fondness for Titan Quest and its ilk, these games fall pretty flat once the loot stops being worth looking at - much as in Fate, you can theoretically keep going indefinitely, but, unless you derive amusement from trying to foil progressively more absurd odds at the enchanter, there's no game to speak of very far beyond level 60. I think there are mods to add further equipment prefixes; dunno how well they work.

One thing I do like is that the difficulty settings are actually difficulty settings, rather than cycles. The way Diablo 2 dealt with this was bloody weird, and it looms so over the subgenre everyone else tends to copy it if they're not sure what else to do. Of course, in this and just about anything else, you kind of have to be prepared for plenty of people telling you you've done it wrong if you don't cut and paste Diablo 2.
  • JoeBlade 13 Mar 2010 13:50:50 2,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I decided to boot Torchlight again for laughs after seeing this thread resurface and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at the recent additions. Or rather: new since the last time I've played it :)
    A few Tomb Raider-style scenery traps, scripted sections and fish types have been included, among others. Certainly not enough to warrant another playthrough but they're all nice touches and it's good to see the devs continue to work on the game.
  • pacifika 19 Mar 2010 11:39:07 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just bought this last week on steam because i was looking for a casual modern diablo like experience after playing the demo and I must say I'm hooked :D Have to say playing on normal is indeed too easy though, died once and now at level 25. I'll have to play more on harder difficulties where the random dungeons will be more fun at the moment normal is ok for casual play.

Very polished and good for a quick boot up session which then creeps into several hours.
  • magicpanda 25 Mar 2010 21:44:54 13,370 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3.75 on steam for the weekend!
  • bad09 26 Mar 2010 08:51:19 5,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    3.75 on steam for the weekend!

I can beat that, 3.23 on GamersGate :)

I'd give it a go myself but got too much last weekend to buy another game, even one so cheap.
  • Venkman90 26 Mar 2010 10:06:45 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wonder what they meant by "soon" for the console releases, and I assume thye would go with digital distribution rather than the cost of retail, but is Torchlight too big for XBLA?

• Venkman90 26 Mar 2010 10:22:13 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Seems like a bit of a timesink on the PC - it's not very enjoyable, but it is addictive and the time flies when you're playing it for sure, almost a bit of a waste. It'd be absolutely perfect on iPhone though, perfect!

I actually found it lots of fun, like a very polished version of Diablo 2, sure the plot is crap but the combat mechanics and art direction are both good (if you like that sort of thing).
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2010 10:29:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Wonder what they meant by "soon" for the console releases, and I assume thye would go with digital distribution rather than the cost of retail, but is Torchlight too big for XBLA?
    It's actually pretty small, iirc. There are XBLA games that are pushing 2gb now anyway, so I doubt it'd be an issue.

Gnng. I would've absolutely bought this from Steam at that price if my PC had been up to running it. It's almost tempting to buy it anyway just in case I ever get a new PC. :-D
  • scorch 26 Mar 2010 10:34:25 77 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    you'll feel good about supporting indies. Do it.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2010 11:03:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah! I've downloaded the new version of the demo and will try that on my machine, probably in 'netbook' mode this time to see if that helps.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Mar 2010 11:13:08 35,605 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Seems like a bit of a timesink on the PC - it's not very enjoyable, but it is addictive and the time flies when you're playing it for sure, almost a bit of a waste.

It's addictive and the time flies, but it's not very enjoyable? What a strange combination.

I enjoy these games because they're addictive and the time flies.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2010 11:16:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quick question as a Steam n00b:

I downloaded the demo from the Torchlight web site because Steam doesn't work through our company firewall. I surmise if I install this demo on my home machine but then buy the game from Steam I'll have to download it again and won't just be able to 'unlock' the full version in the demo I have? Is that right?
  • Kain201 26 Mar 2010 12:27:37 1,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Blerk:
    That is right because the demo is from a different vendor. For Torchlight every vendor has its own DRM and therefore an own version of the game.

But I think you can copy your old save files from the demo to use with the Steam version.

Runic Games has already announced through Twitter that they will discount Torchlight from their site as well. Their version uses yummy game shield as DRM (limited activations?) while Steam uses well, Steams DRM.
  • jellyhead 26 Mar 2010 12:56:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Seems like a bit of a timesink on the PC - it's not very enjoyable, but it is addictive and the time flies when you're playing it for sure, almost a bit of a waste. It'd be absolutely perfect on iPhone though, perfect!
    0_o

Do you *actually* like playing games? Any of them? Ever?

Torchlight is very enjoyable. It's simple to play yet has a bit of depth to the design ( and the dungeons - badoom-tish! ) and different character styles for variety. It's a very bloody enjoyable, easy to play, timesink in the style of Diablo and well worth 3 bloody 75p!

Support an indie dev who have been patching the game and are working on a free to play MMO version of the game. BUY IT you cheap f&^ks! :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• magicpanda 26 Mar 2010 13:04:19 13,370 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is BlizeH real?
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2010 13:21:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kain201 wrote:
    @Blerk:
    That is right because the demo is from a different vendor. For Torchlight every vendor has its own DRM and therefore an own version of the game.

But I think you can copy your old save files from the demo to use with the Steam version.

Runic Games has already announced through Twitter that they will discount Torchlight from their site as well. Their version uses yummy game shield as DRM (limited activations?) while Steam uses well, Steams DRM.
    Thanks for that! Hmm... buy from Steam or straight from Runic? Decisions, decisions.

Suppose I'd better try the demo again first, though.
  • Kain201 26 Mar 2010 13:48:06 1,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, to be fair the Steam version has some advantages over the other vendors versions.

It uses SteamCloud to sync your save files with the Steam servers. So you can play your own characters from a different computer.

The Steam version also supports Steam achievements.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Mar 2010 13:53:08 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sold!*

*probably
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Mar 2010 10:37:15 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bought! It's fun!

My laptop... doesn't like it so much. I think it may be almost time to take it out to the barn with the shotgun. :-(
  • Huntcjna 29 Mar 2010 13:42:22 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Steam cloud support on this is brilliant. I started playing on my main pc over the weekend, then sat in bed last night and did all my selling and organinsing in town via the netbook and just went down a mine and did 30 minutes of looting on my lunch at work! \o/
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Mar 2010 13:57:09 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Man, I wish Steam worked at work. Actually perhaps it's a good thing that it doesn't. :-D
  • Jackface 17 May 2010 17:56:21 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just got this on Steam for Mac. Fookin' ace it is, too. :D

The MMO will be free to play!?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last