Am I the only person on EG without a driving licence?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • angeltreats 2 Sep 2009 08:15:11 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a confession. My name is Angel Treats. I'm 29 years old. And I have never passed my driving test.

It's not that I actually can't drive. I can. I drove around on a provisional licence for ages, and twice I was about to take the test but both times I ended up having to put it off because I moved to England. (I moved home again after the first time, btw, and then moved back again a few years later.) Then I lived in London for five years and never needed to drive and while it's always been on my list of things to do, somehow I never got around to it.

Now I really need to be able to drive because we're moving away to where there is only one bus an hour and only in one particular direction. Also we have acquired a car and I'm dying to be able to drive it further than round Sainsburys car park. So I'm doing my theory test next Thursday (my last one expired in 1998!) and I'll do the road test asap. But I haven't driven properly, like in actual traffic, for five years, and obviously I'm going to be rusty and will have to learn how to pass the test.

So this morning at 10am I have a driving lesson. And I'm shitting myself, for reasons I can't quite work out.

Are there any other vehicularly-challenged saddos out there? Tell me I'm not the only one.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 08:20:16
    Im 26 & only have a provisional. I can drive a car if it came to it, but I don't really want one of my own. I live & work in a pretty small town, I cycle a lot & if i need to get anywhere futher I just take a bus or train. I can't see myself getting a car anytime soon.
  • andywilkie35 2 Sep 2009 08:20:51 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm almost 25 and I can't drive. But I live and work in London so don't really have any need :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• DUFFMAN5 2 Sep 2009 08:22:27 14,776 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck. Don't forget the "biting point" never understood that, I do now of course having been driving for many year (1989 ffs) although I hate driving.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• angeltreats 2 Sep 2009 08:25:16 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe, I am well aware of what the biting point is :) Our geriatric Punto rewrites the definition of biting point though. You have to get it right within a tiny margin, otherwise it will stall and laugh at you.
  • simplerotation 2 Sep 2009 08:25:29 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm 26 and I can't drive, I live and work in central London, so why would I?

Although after me and the boy get married we want to move to the US, so I really need to learn and soon :/

Good luck with your lesson today A_T! :)
  • TechnoHippy 2 Sep 2009 08:25:39 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm 37 and started learning to drive a few months ago. Passed the theory and have the practical in a few weeks.

I found my first lesson a nightmare, and almost quit on the spot, but stick with it.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Sep 2009 08:28:18 39,458 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm 26 and I have a driving license, after failing 4 times I passed just before my 21st birthday.

My point is I know exactly how scared you are but fear is all that kept me from passing fear of failure, so get it out of your mind. Positive mental atitude.

Go angel!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• BigOrkWaaagh 2 Sep 2009 08:28:42 2,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm 27. I'm not going to say I can't drive, because I've never tried! I could be the best driver ever! But I'm not allowed to, you know, legally and that.

Previously midnight_walker

• redcrayon 2 Sep 2009 08:31:05 4,558 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm 30 and can't drive- all my work is in London, and pretty much always will be, plus I prefer relaxing on long train journeys- the concept of three hours reading without interruption is a fine one to me! If I have kids, I reckon I'll learn pronto though.

Good luck with the test today, let us know how it went!
  • angeltreats 2 Sep 2009 08:37:23 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh it's not the test today, it's only a lesson, bit of a refresher type of thing. I'm still shitting myself though :D
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Sep 2009 08:39:33 38,342 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good luck. I failed twice before passing, but I'm sure you'll do fine :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Skoptsie 2 Sep 2009 08:46:17 419 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't get around to learning until I was 33, passing on the third attempt.

Just remember to assume all other drivers are numpties and defensively anticipate madness from them accordingly, especially if driving in London.
  • angeltreats 2 Sep 2009 08:49:56 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    at, where did you decide to move to in the end?

Wee village in Wiltshire. Near Swindon (although nothing like Swindon!) and close enough to Reading and Oxford that you could commute to work (providing I manage to pass the driving test at some point this lifetime).

Skoptsie - London drivers are bastards. Bastards. Rutty constantly gets aggro from people waiting behind him at a junction where there is a constant flow of traffic in both directions. Apparently he should drive straight out and hope everyone else's brakes are working and nobody drives into the side of him o_O I'm impatient, but this is unbelievable even by my standards. My driving lesson is in Chingford, at least I'll be away from the horrible East London traffic.
  • angeltreats 2 Sep 2009 08:52:49 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank you :)
  • JuanKerr 2 Sep 2009 08:55:34 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And make sure you get a nice little Nissan Figaro once you've passed your test ;)
  • Angel_Treats 2 Sep 2009 08:59:59 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Noooo! No automatics. If I buy one I'd have to rip out the gearbox and replace it with a manual. So instead Rutty will be buying me a Fiat 500 Arbarth (hello dear, I know you'll be reading this. I will be happy with a 1.4 16v Fire Sport if the Arbarth is too expensive, I'm reasonable like that).
  • paul_haine 2 Sep 2009 09:02:12 4,205 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm 30 and have no license, haven't had a single driving lesson and have never driven a car.

I tend to live in cities.
  • Venkman90 2 Sep 2009 09:10:17 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am 29 and I live and work in Manchester city centre, I do have my lisence but have not driven in 5 years or more, probably would struggle if I did.

As above, I won't bother till I move out of the city and have kids in probably 4 years ish.
  • JuanKerr 2 Sep 2009 09:13:23 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd hate not being able to drive - I love having the option to just jump in my car and go where I fancy without having to rely on trains or whatever. Cars are expensive, but definitely worth the money.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2009 09:14:09
    I'm 28, I've only been driving for 2 to 3 years and the only reason I did it was for a job that turned out to be shit :(

I booked my test before doing my lessons, then had a mad rush of lesssons. I think it took me just over 3 weeks.
  • Jmek 2 Sep 2009 09:15:38 1,329 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    38 and terrified of driving. Which is a pain as it would help me out job wise immeasurably.
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2009 09:16:02 60,135 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In my experience, its far better to have a license and not use it than need one and not have it.

Circumstances change and driving lessons only go up in price. You might never use it but, as my wife found, circumstances can change pretty quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Angel_Treats 2 Sep 2009 09:17:16 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rutty did one of those intensive courses. He had 2 1/2 weeks of lessons, about 3 hours per day, and then did his test and passed first go. I'll do something similar once we've moved (and in theory it shouldn't take me as many hours of lessons as it took him, as he learned from scratch), but I kind of wanted to brush up a bit before starting an intensive course and to find out how many hours the instructor reckons I'd need.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Sep 2009 09:18:22 44,415 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're going to be raped for insurance if you expect your first car to be an Abarth, age aside.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous