DropBox, handy 'cloud' file syncing service

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 19:45:58
    This is going to read like a planet post and in a sense it is coz I'm going to post my affiliate link at the end, but I find it really useful anyway so thought I'd share.

So it's called DropBox and its software creates a folder on your machine that's linked to their server where you get 2GB of space and the option to buy more. Anything you put in the folder automatically uploads. The handy bit is if you install the same software on another computer the files automatically fill its own folder so you can use it to sync files on many machines without any effort.

You can also let other people download files from the server which is what I'm using it for to distribute zip files to folk. Pretty much like those other websites where you can host huge files for download by others really.

So the planet bit: if you click this link you get a free 2GB account and we both get an extra 250MB. You could even delete your account if it's not for you, I'll probably still get to keep my bonus.

I've also heard that Sugarsync is a good one. Any other similar and better services out there?
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 19:49:30
    Or to put it more succinctly:

OMG just found an AMAZING site guys! Try it, it's fantastic, best file syncing EVER.

Srsly it's really good!
  • Dirtbox 1 Sep 2009 19:50:29 77,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I ditched dropbox when opera unite came out. Pretty much renders it pointless.

That's not to say it isn't good, I was a big fan.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 1 September 2009 19:54:05
    Does Opera Unite require the use of Opera? I reeeaaally don't like Opera. It's weird.
  • Dirtbox 1 Sep 2009 19:57:19 77,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You don't have to use opera as your browser, no. Just minimise it away and carry on fagging off with safari. Unite isn't released yet tho, it's not currently in the latest version.

• Deleted user 1 September 2009 19:57:40
    Just had a look, big ideas and promising but there are a lot of complaints on their site too. Sounds like it's still in development - is it?
  • Dirtbox 1 Sep 2009 19:58:23 77,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I was mid edit.

Actually it's pretty tight now as they recently released a version which seems nigh on perfect. Most, if not all of the complaints are from versions long gone.

• faux_carnation 1 Sep 2009 20:02:07 9,046 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, signed up.

I was literally wondering, this very afternoon, if something like this existed, and it does! HUZZAH
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 20:06:26
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, I was mid edit.

Actually it's pretty tight now as they recently released a version which seems nigh on perfect. Most, if not all of the complaints are from versions long gone.
    I'll look into it but even running Opera minimised will creep me out.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 20:07:02
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Thanks, signed up.

I was literally wondering, this very afternoon, if something like this existed, and it does! HUZZAH
    The power of Eurogamer.
  • Dirtbox 1 Sep 2009 20:08:53 77,467 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, I was mid edit.

Funnily enough, it said the same thing to me about running on your mac.

• Deleted user 1 September 2009 20:10:07
    Cheers, I'll sign up after dinner with your link.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 20:10:39
    Dirtbox wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, I was mid edit.

Funnily enough, it said the same thing to me about running on your mac.
    Touche. But Opera can't speak because it's just software. So I win. Sort of.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 12:48:51
    MrED209 wrote:
    Or to put it more succinctly:

OMG just found an AMAZING site guys! Try it, it's fantastic, best file syncing EVER.

Srsly it's really good!
    Hi! Shameless end-of-year-like-that's-an-excuse bumpage here, because I've just started really taking advantage of what Dropbox can do and am skating dangerously close to my 3.25GB limit - if a few more of you lovely folks give it a try (for free!) using my lovely links, we'll both get a bit of extra space...

Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on.

(so technically I guess I'm now a spammer and need to be banned?)

;)

Oh and have a most excellent evening, if an arbitrary date change means anything to ya! Cheers!
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 12:58:46
    It's fab, I've just got into creating symbolic links using the SymbolicLinker tool (as opposed to delving into Terminal) so that I can sync settings, bookmarks, passwords etc across two computers and have the applications automagically find them, and also for syncing active projects. It's geekily awesome and has completely opened up how I use my two machines, where I previously used to be pretty much tied to the desk on my iMac.

Love it :)
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 13:05:48
    Have you tried symbolic linking cross platform? Or does it need doing on both machines?
  • mal 31 Dec 2009 14:02:48 22,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, and twitter was what we did on telnet chat rooms, and facebook is just your web site's link page, which you coded by hand. Eeeh, in my day this were all TCP protocols.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 31 December 2009 14:05:12
    /installs IPX/SPX
  • Chopsen 31 Dec 2009 14:13:57 15,713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /Dial up a BBS with a 1200 baud modem.

/is engaged
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 14:24:57
    Use this constantly to back up my uni folder which means with the iphone app I can quickly open up any word documents or powerpoint documents I need in class without having to yank out the laptop.
  • Vroom 31 Dec 2009 15:02:53 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dropbox is fantastic. I use the 3GB free space every day for development assets across several locations/computers.

... and there's a free iPhone app also.

Vroom

• Deleted user 31 December 2009 15:04:13
    I use for keeping emulations saves :D
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 15:57:28
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Have you tried symbolic linking cross platform? Or does it need doing on both machines?
    Apparently it's not so nice on Windows machines according to their website, but I'll never be using a windows machine.

Hopefully.

;)
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 15:57:58
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Nice stealth referral link btw
    Er... I did make it clear about a gazillion times that it was a referral link. :)
  • askew 31 Dec 2009 15:58:25 12,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Nice stealth referral link btw

There was nothing stealth about it?
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 16:56:59
    Perhaps he was just teasing in a knowing sort of way :)
  • Deleted user 31 December 2009 16:57:35
    Chopsen wrote:
    /Dial up a BBS with a 1200 baud modem.

/is engaged
    Congratulations!

Oh.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous