EG refuses to review Melty Blood: Actress Again

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 16:06:03 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    See the comments thread of the KOFXII review.

Now, I'm not being funny, but EG reviews some utter shit that generates only very short comments threads. I can only assume that they don't want the review because they don't think enough people will read it, even compared with some of this utter shit.

Is this really the way that games journalism should be conducted? Or does it just expose in some way the flaws in games journalism compared to music, film, etc?

• Deleted user 28 August 2009 16:08:03
    I took it to mean that that particular reviewer wasn't going to review it, not that it wasn't going to be reviewed at all.

It's sort of clarified with his MW2 comment. D'you also think they're not going to review that at all?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Aug 2009 16:08:06 38,705 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll review it for them if they send me a copy :-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• neilka 28 Aug 2009 16:08:30 16,257 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2/10
  • cubbymoore 28 Aug 2009 16:08:32 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Games should be equated with books in terms of how they can be reviewed, music and films are relatively shorter. It's just to do with time.
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 16:09:51 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I took it to mean that that particular reviewer wasn't going to review it, not that it wasn't going to be reviewed at all.

It's sort of clarified with his MW2 comment. D'you also think they're not going to review that at all?
    The comments are worded differently "didn't go for the review" and "didn't go for me doing the review". Plus, I think he was being a bit tongue-in-cheek re: "MW"2.

• mrpon 28 Aug 2009 16:18:15 29,192 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't wait for Unmapped 2: Among Tea Leaves though.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 28 August 2009 16:22:01
    Why have you put MW in quotes
  • Retroid Moderator 28 Aug 2009 16:32:15 45,018 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Why have you put MW in quotes
    Someone else whispered it into his keyboard as he was typing.
  • Mugwum Staff 28 Aug 2009 16:36:55 625 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hi there!

"I can only assume that they don't want the review because they don't think enough people will read it, even compared with some of this utter shit."

Matt asked about Melty Blood, and I said there wasn't any room for it at the moment. It's true - there isn't really. You should see all the reviews of utter shit I've commissioned that we need to get out of the way first!

That's not to say we won't look at it when things die down, in much the same way we try to catch up with wicked-looking Japanese games people tell me about months after the fact that I missed at the time, and in much the same way we've reviewed BlazBlue (in the arcade and at home), KOF XII (on import, which we obviously had to buy in) and have Cross Edge coming up shortly, on the subject of beat-'em-ups. But right now Melty's hard to fit on the slate.

It's not a conspiracy though, and I certainly didn't "refuse" to have it reviewed, so please try not to jump to conclusions. I know I don't spend enough time on the forum, but I am always around, so if you have a question about the site or a suggestion of a game to look at, you can always PM me and I'll be happy to let you know.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2009 16:37:43
    I have a question:

will you let me review mw2
  • Onny 28 Aug 2009 16:41:25 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest Ilm, would you take any notice of the review even if it appeared? I mean, did the reviews of KoF or SFIV affect your opinion of them at all?
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 16:43:39 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank you for the reply Mugwum, I will admit I deliberately used a slighty antagonistic thread title/OP to try to coax a response from someone "in the know", in future I'll bear in mind that you respond to PMs. Again, thank you for the clarification.

Gremmi: I don't agree with the title of "MW"2, and I believe they have gone back to calling it Call of Duty in some way shape or form. The quotation marks express my displeasure at the use of "MW"2.

• ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 16:44:08 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    To be honest Ilm, would you take any notice of the review even if it appeared? I mean, did the reviews of KoF or SFIV affect your opinion of them at all?
    Actually, they're pretty much the only reviews I've read on the site this year.

• Onny 28 Aug 2009 16:44:27 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe. Fair enough :)
  • Deleted user 28 August 2009 16:47:43
    But the actual devs call it MW2 as an abbreviation

That's a silly thing to disagree with
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 16:55:20 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unfortunately Gremmi, you'll find it's too late for that. History has been set, the path of the fates cannot be changed.

• Deleted user 28 August 2009 16:56:18
    uh

Okay

/does the whole 'crazy fool is talking crazy' spinny finger to temple thing
  • Metalfish 28 Aug 2009 16:59:18 8,831 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well if you need extra reviewers I know, er, a guy, who er... ... despite having no experience and/or talent would, like, totally be all over it. Or something.

Just say the word.
  • neilka 28 Aug 2009 17:00:16 16,257 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does blood actually melt? My extensive experiments have produced nothing more than a sizzle.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2009 17:01:07
    Frozen blood probably does.

Dunno why an actress would be freezing it though.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Aug 2009 17:02:34 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never heard of the game before, is it getting a european release? Can't really blame EG for ignoring it tbh, reviews can't be that cheap for a niche title.
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 17:05:24 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Never heard of the game before, is it getting a european release? Can't really blame EG for ignoring it tbh, reviews can't be that cheap for a niche title.
    I want to congratulate you on a) not reading the thread and b) being part of the problem.

• kalel 28 Aug 2009 18:07:04 88,451 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:
    I want to congratulate you on a) not reading the thread and b) being part of the problem.

rofl
  • FWB 28 Aug 2009 18:35:38 44,839 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who cares about this game. There are tons of games that don't get reviewed. You can't cover everything and as it it is I think fighting games get too much coverage. They're shit. Tons of games I'd like to see reviewed, but you can't just cater for me.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Aug 2009 18:55:17 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:

rofl

Hehe.

I'd love to read a Fork Lift Truck Simulator review just for the shenmue jokes, but If I was running a site I'd never actually commission one. Anyhow, nothings stopping you from making an official Melty Blood thread to enlighten us all about how wonderful it is (if it is wonderful).. considering two games managed to already get released on these shores and I've never heard of it probably says it all tho ;)

Failing that, where the fuck is my Dream Club C review EG? Come on! You review shit like Halo yet don't review the most anticipated game according to Famitsu :p

I can't imagine many sites have the revenue to just approve anything, KoF is a pretty big franchise, Melty Blood isn't. It's not evil, it's just staying in business.
  • absolutezero 28 Aug 2009 19:03:21 7,956 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:

rofl

Failing that, where the fuck is my Dream Club C review EG? Come on! You review shit like Halo yet don't review the most anticipated game according to Famitsu :p

2nd! and im deadly serious.
  • FWB 28 Aug 2009 19:06:36 44,839 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Halo is overrated. There, I said it. So is HL2.

Now review Hearts of Iron 3, and spend ages on it too cos it's bloody complicated.
  • Cappy 28 Aug 2009 19:12:02 12,026 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rarely bother reading reviews, I would definitely read a Melty Blood review though.

Or if EG can't manage it, a few more Dark Fall reviews will do I guess, perhaps every single EG staff member can have a three page take on it.
  • ilmaestro 28 Aug 2009 20:06:58 32,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Melty Blood... considering two games managed to already get released on these shores
    Er, what? No they haven't.

And yes, I would also rather see a review of Dream Club for a bit of variety than a lot of the reviews that get published.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous