Potential move to London - advice needed \o/

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Aug 2009 09:56:29 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alright lads? That's what you lot say, innit?

So, anyway, will keep it short. I expect an offer next week or the week after to move to London and take a Senior Project Manager role with a large telecoms company (I currently work for that same company but in Ireland). Whilst I know the London city fairly well I've no idea of what the living costs are or, based on my lack of knowledge, whether the aforementioned offer will be a good one. So, hopefully, you can help with the following:

What would be the expected salary for a job in London of that nature?
    What/where would be the type of location to live in?

The office is in Shepherds Bush so not sure how far I would have to go to live or anything.
    As always, EG'ers, any help at all would be appreciated
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 09:58:59 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Need more info really. How long/far would you be willing to commute? What kind of accommodation are you going to need - flat for a single person or house for a family?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• gang_of_bitches 27 Aug 2009 10:04:09 5,442 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup. Like Otto says we need more info. Depends on what kind of standard of living you expect, buying/renting, central/suburban living etc.

• LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:08:15 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your house will be smaller and more expensive than you're used to, your neighbourhood will look more run down and dirty than the previous one. But your salary and all that London has to offer is a generous compensation.

don't know much about Shepherd's Bush, sorry.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Jeepers 27 Aug 2009 10:09:15 13,173 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Senior Project manager? I'd say anywhere between 45 - 80k. The title is used differently in different orgs - in the last place I worked (c.200 staff) there were about 6 SPMs, alongside about 12 PMs.
  • ruttyboy 27 Aug 2009 10:09:52 7,949 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't live in Shepherd's Bush that's my advice, it's a proper hive of tramps and thieves.
  • FWB 27 Aug 2009 10:12:43 43,792 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm based in West London, Ealing to be precise which is about 15min on the central line from Shepard Bush (25 min from center of town). Also has a direct bus route. IIRC a one bedroom place around here is about 900-1000 a month, but then Ealing is expensive. Acton (which is part of Ealing but not often referred to in that way) will be cheaper. It's mildly closer to Shepherds Bush but also an ickle bit of a dump. That said if you avoid the estate area its a perfectly legit place to live.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 10:14:30 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plenty of nice places within an easy commute of Shepherd's Bush by bus, bike or tube, so it all depends on the kind of area you want to live in. Fulham and West Kensington have plenty of decent flats to rent which you could probably afford at that salary and they're great places to live if you're single. If you're not single then look at Chiswick or Ealing. If you're thinking of buying then you might need to look a little further out.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• ram 27 Aug 2009 10:17:42 3,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Within a half an hour tube journey from Shepherds Bush there are some very nice places. In SW London, Richmond, Fulham, Putney, Southfields, Wimbledon, Kew. Queens Park up in NW London.

If you live towards the end of line you are much more likely to get a seat on the tube on the way in, which might not sound like much, but believe me it's a massive perk in rush hour.
  • gang_of_bitches 27 Aug 2009 10:17:45 5,442 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Plenty of nice places within an easy commute of Shepherd's Bush by bus, bike or tube, so it all depends on the kind of area you want to live in. Fulham and West Kensington have plenty of decent flats to rent which you could probably afford at that salary and they're great places to live if you're single. If you're not single then look at Chiswick or Ealing. If you're thinking of buying then you might need to look a little further out.

There's also a very quick train (10 mins) from Clapham Junction to Shepherd's Bush which opens up quite a bit more of south London for consideration.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 27 Aug 2009 10:18:12 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks chaps! I don't have kids, we (my partner and I) have 1 dog. Ideally I'd like countryside but that's probably being a little naive with respect to London! Am willing to commute but have never had to commute before! Would be renting for sure.

Job would be running large programmes or projects with 2 or so direct reports and the the usual virtual project or programme teams.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:18:41 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Although Clapham Junction is about the most expensive place you can choose to live south of the river.

• FWB 27 Aug 2009 10:20:38 43,792 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ealing and Chiswick are real "couple" areas. I'm only back here because, well, it was easy to come back here for me. :) You also have good access to the M4 and M40 and M1 which means you can be out of London within a few minutes.

Someone mentioned you can even get single bedroom places in Trafalgar Square for around a grand a month. That'd be fantastic if you're single and can afford it.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:21:06 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB - they lied.

• otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 10:22:20 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BG, one of the great things about London is the huge quantity of green space. If you're in Fulham, Hammersmith or Putney you have the river (I used to live by Bishops Park on the Fulham side and it was great for walks), there's also Barnes which has a wetlands nature reserve though transport connections are not great. And then if you really want the great outdoors you have the whole of Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common not far away at all, so look at Sheen, Roehampton, Richmond and Wimbledon.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• pinkds 27 Aug 2009 10:22:38 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shepards Bush is on the most irritating tube line- Hammersmith and City, always suspended. You'd better off living somewhere out in West London, so maybe Wimbledon area and using overland transport to get to work.

I rented a flat in Harrow (North West London) about a 45 minute commute from Shephards Bush (I was working in Notting Hill) and monthly rent was just under a grand a month for a two bedroom flat.

Yearly travel card was just under 2000. If you get an Oyster card it's a bit cheaper.

• FWB 27 Aug 2009 10:22:40 43,792 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LB: Not too bad. Though 50% more than I said. :)
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Aug 2009 10:22:58 39,384 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn it! You've all said all the good places.

I'm moving to Putney soon, move there it's full of hotness. If your single that is.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• simplerotation 27 Aug 2009 10:23:15 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I live in Hammersmith, about five minutes from shepherd's bush and I really love it, I was a bit shellshocked trying to find a place when I moved to London from Brighton and am really happy I ended up in Hammersmith, it's quite affordable for London and there's lots of nice streets, I really like Brook Green between hammersmith and Shepherd's bush, if you want to live somewhere quieter there's Chiswick or Turnham green and if you want to live somewhere cheaper there's Acton.

Chiswick and Turnham green all have some nice leafy parts, also it's the sort of area of London where you could actually have a car, drive and park it, if you're that way inclined.

The only issue with shepherd's bush is that it's full of Aussies, but you can avoid them if needed, have you had a look on spareroom.co.uk? Maybe a houseshare would suit you, you'd get to meet some new people and it's much cheaper whilst you get settled.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:23:44 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well bugger me with a fishfork O_O

• Ged42 27 Aug 2009 10:23:59 7,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The area north of Westway near Latimer Road Tube station looked quite nice last time I was in the area.

Not sure how pricey it is though, the close proximity of the BBC and the Westfield centre would drive up prices, but there is also quite a bit of council housing wihich would drop them.
  • FWB 27 Aug 2009 10:25:18 43,792 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I was surprised when they mentioned it. Did a little research. If I had the money to splash - and wasn't planning on leaving again - I'd be sorely tempted by something like that.

From the sounds of things, Bravo, Ealing/Chiswick would be right up your street.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2009 10:25:45
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Your house will be smaller and more expensive than you're used to, your neighbourhood will look more run down and dirty than the previous one. But your salary and all that London has to offer is a generous compensation.

I'm going to pull an ecosse on this.

Bullshit.

:p
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:26:22 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That translates out to a value of around 250k on a mortgage, for a shoebox. Genuinely surprised that something like that is available in the West End though, but I'd rather go bigger and be a bit disconnected from it. 5 years ago though...

• LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2009 10:27:04 43,131 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

I'm going to pull an ecosse on this.

Bullshit.

:p
    You've seen Shepherd's Bush?

• BravoGolf Moderator 27 Aug 2009 10:27:33 12,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    BG, one of the great things about London is the huge quantity of green space. If you're in Fulham, Hammersmith or Putney you have the river (I used to live by Bishops Park on the Fulham side and it was great for walks), there's also Barnes which has a wetlands nature reserve though transport connections are not great. And then if you really want the great outdoors you have the whole of Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common not far away at all, so look at Sheen, Roehampton, Richmond and Wimbledon.

Thanks Otto and all. I think everytime I consider moving I end up emailing/PM'ing/spamming you! You talked me out of Canada, thankfully :-D

What's the expected price for renting a place in those areas? Would I be looking at 1k a month? Worst case scenario is I accept the offer and realise it's not enough to get by and want to go back to cutting turf and drinking Guinness.
  • Spanky 27 Aug 2009 10:27:52 14,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't whatever you do stay anywhere on the District Line/Hammersmith & City line and expect not to get sacked after two weeks of being continually late.

Fucked sheppards bush, move to enfield. That's where the best fuckers live.

Plubs

• ram 27 Aug 2009 10:28:36 3,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:

I live in Putney and I can cycle a route of about 15 miles that is 14 miles off road and 1 mile road. Through Wimbledon Common then around Richmond Park and then along the Thames path .

You also have the A3 very close bywhich takes you out of London down to the countryside in the south.

• gang_of_bitches 27 Aug 2009 10:28:49 5,442 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Although Clapham Junction is about the most expensive place you can choose to live south of the river.

But it is nice, well I like it anyway. And in terms of being out in the country you could live somwhere nice on the north downs and probably still be less than an hour from work. An hour may sound hellish, but you'd be surprised how you learn to accept it.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous