Minecraft Page 3

• Page

of 124 First / Last

• skurk 7 Sep 2010 22:33:51 109 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Daft question - I'm playing the Mac version; does anyone know how to change the screen resolution and how to set it to full screen? It's the downloaded app version, rather than the browser version, of course :)

F11, if I remember correctly. You may have to fn+F11 it, depending on your settings.
  • Jeepers 7 Sep 2010 22:48:31 13,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Skurk.

Another question - do harmless mobs (cows, pigs, etc.) spawn entirely randomly? I know that the nasties spawn in the dark, but I keep noticing pigs and cows inside my defensive wall and I'm wondering whether they just appeared there, or whether I have a fatal flaw in my fortifications...
  • MrCarrot 7 Sep 2010 22:50:21 3,516 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought. Don't think I dare start playing now if the reports of its addictiveness are true.
  • skurk 7 Sep 2010 23:02:29 109 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Thanks Skurk.

Another question - do harmless mobs (cows, pigs, etc.) spawn entirely randomly? I know that the nasties spawn in the dark, but I keep noticing pigs and cows inside my defensive wall and I'm wondering whether they just appeared there, or whether I have a fatal flaw in my fortifications...

I've seen cows in trees, don't worry about your defences :)
  • Whizzo 7 Sep 2010 23:30:20 43,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I'm merrily digging my house's deep mine and find my first underground river, nice. I then close up access in case of nasties, I then find my first lava flow, shit! Ouch, ouch, ouch I'm doing a good impersonation of the Human Torch, unblock river access, dive in! Phew. Eat my first cooked piggie and have some health back.

Do some more mining and encounter my first zombie. Run the fuck away and block access after I get hit a couple of times while trying out my first sword. Stupidly I don't think it's that dark outside so go looking for something to eat. I run into something that eats me. :-(

Respawn in the dark and realise I've no idea where my house is, eventually find it after getting a bit blown up, hoover up my inventory and close the door.

Time to save and quit, this Lego like game is the scariest thing I think I've ever played! :-O

This space left intentionally blank.

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 09:09:04 13,266 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found one of these Dungeons finally. I was a bit lucky, I started a new world and heard spider noises from directly below my spawn point.

I wont spoil it but I've basically kept it intact and I'm in the process of carefully excavating around it like its some kind of ancient archaeological dig. I've had to fence the entire area off and light it up with torches as I'd go back in the morning and find my hole full of exploding creepers. (matron).

Going to build a huge Colosseum around it. Or work out some way of funnelling the endless supply of spiders into some kind of self built mincing machine.
  • Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 09:25:06 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm. Was going to start playing this morning but have hit a snag. The .exe that you d/l won't run the game for me. I can play fine in browser form but nothing happens when I d/c the .exe and have tried running as admin too.

Any ideas? (have posted this on the official forums as well but just thought I'd check here too..)
  • Whizzo 8 Sep 2010 09:48:09 43,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloody hell! That's impressive.

• Jeepers 8 Sep 2010 10:24:25 13,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

o_O

My patented Enormo-tron Locational Beacon[1] seems a bit less impressive now...

[1] A candle on a tall tower.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 10:29:14 37,340 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argh, it keeps crashing on me and wiping my work :-(

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 11:41:50 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to give it a week or so and if I still can't get the .exe to run I'm going to request a refund. I don't mind in-game bugs due to it being in alpha still but when I can't even launch the game it's rather annoying.

I can play in browser form but want the performance and full screen of the launcher.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2010 11:44:15
    How far can you get with it? It isn't some firewall or something you've got running that is blocking the additional download is it?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2010 11:45:13
    Jeepers wrote:
    Thanks Skurk.

They can spawn on any grassy area regardless of surrounding walls.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 11:47:28 37,340 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So where's this server PiD? :-P

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 11:54:38 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Micro_Explosion. wrote:
    How far can you get with it? It isn't some firewall or something you've got running that is blocking the additional download is it?

Nah, nothing like that. Just literally does nothing. I've made sure that the firewall isn't blocking it.

Like I said, it worked fine last night, did the update fine, worked fine. This morning it just won't start. It's a pretty common problem going by the official forum but there doesn't seem to be a fix for it.
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Sep 2010 11:58:25 6,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:

:o

I'd be tempted to make a load of these on the EG server.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 12:46:10 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got it to work \o/

D/l the 64 bit version of Java (thought I already had it...mainly due to the fact it all worked fine last night...) and all is fine. Can log in and play!
  • Whizzo 8 Sep 2010 12:49:50 43,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hurrah!

All I've been doing at work today has been thinking about this.

/wants to go home and do some house improvements

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 13:21:19 13,266 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm dreaming in blocks. :(
  • LeoliansBro 8 Sep 2010 13:23:57 43,227 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, I have a week free next week - will be doing this for sure. Any idea whether we've a multiplayer all singing server going?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 14:07:23 13,266 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There will be a secret friday update to minecraft this week \o/
  • Jeepers 8 Sep 2010 14:28:28 13,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just started my first major construction - a three tile wide Super Courseway that spans one side of the entire map, allowing me to travel from home (a four-storey behemoth of mud and stone) to the iron-rich hills waaaaaaay over there.

Only problem is that there seems to be a difference in elevation of a few dozen tiles - I can see the need for a gently arcing span, lined with torches to keep the nasties away.

We need to get that EG server up and running asap.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Sep 2010 14:35:58 43,227 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, answer me one thing: Can I create a minefield where I can watch creatures exploding from the safety of my fortress battlements?

And, sorry, one other thing: Is multiplayer forced co-op, forced deathmatch or freeform?

• Popzeus 8 Sep 2010 14:41:47 8,272 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This sounds very tempting.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 14:48:41 13,266 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Potentially yes LB.

Multiplayer Survival is very free form, and has the potential to be gaming nirvana.
  • Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 14:51:16 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow! Just had a quick go there. Did the standard startup (or how to survive your first night...) and then just fannied about for a bit. Can see that having an EG server would be all kinds of fantastic! Really fun game that should get better and better over time...
  • LeoliansBro 8 Sep 2010 14:56:33 43,227 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One more - on multiplayer, can anyone use anyone's door, or can I lock people out?

/visions of impregnable fortress...

• Dirtbox 8 Sep 2010 14:57:29 77,467 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This game is absolutely the most addictive, compelling thing I've ever played. It's also scary in a way that I never thought would happen with a bunch of Duplo bricks.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 8 Sep 2010 14:58:29 77,467 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    One more - on multiplayer, can anyone use anyone's door, or can I lock people out?

/visions of impregnable fortress...
    They can just bowl in through the wall. Your only real hope is to camouflage it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 15:04:17 13,266 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, I knew you would get a kick out of it Dirtbox :)

The whole multi player survival thing has me almost drooling.

I think if we get a server it would be wise not to post the IP on here or have a whitelist of players. Doesn't take much for someone to fuck up the entire world.

• Page

of 124 First / Last