The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 130

• Page

of 147 First / Last

• estoo 27 Nov 2013 12:46:25 2,797 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Corsair Carbide 300R + Window
    3XS ASUS Z87-A MOBO
    Intel Core i7 4770K S1150 +3XS Extreme OC (4.4)
    3XS H80 + 1xSP120L FAN BULK
    CORS 2x4GB VENG PRO 2133 BLACK
    3GB XFX Radeon R9-280X 1000MHz Overclocked Graphics Card

The question is, since this is being OC'd by the good folks at scan, will I be able to upgrade the RAM with another 2 sticks of the same type (potential xmas gift from the missus) without having to mess around with the OC?

The specs above are pretty much set in stone, just wondering really about the future ram upgrade.

edit- added original post for new page

Edited by estoo at 12:48:19 27-11-2013
  • captbirdseye 27 Nov 2013 12:50:01 4,781 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahh cool. Anything over 8gb is major overkill at the moment but as long as the heatsink gives enough clearance then your cool to add as much ram as possible without messing with the overclock.

Edited by captbirdseye at 12:52:37 27-11-2013
  • estoo 27 Nov 2013 13:18:18 2,797 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brilliant. Was worried I would have to go in and play about with voltages and the like.

I know the 16g is overkill just now, I'm just really, really struggling when her indoors says "What do you want for Christmas?"
    Bit of future proofing will keep me good for the next few years.
  • Orange 27 Nov 2013 18:37:58 4,654 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I assume you have a suitably large SSD as well?
  • superdelphinus 27 Nov 2013 19:23:40 8,011 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What sort of games do you play?
  • estoo 27 Nov 2013 20:12:28 2,797 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, there is an SSD in the build too. I mainly use it for Sim-Racing (I'm an iRacing mentalist along with pCars, rFactor2 and Asseto Corsa).

I plan on going 3 screens and then Oculus rift when it finally arrives.
  • heavy_salad 27 Nov 2013 22:18:17 715 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm after a bit of advice if possible. I'm after building a new PC shortly, and want to keep the cost down as much as I can. Ideally I want something that will be fairly future-proof (in that I can easily upgrade it in the future, so it doesn't need to be the 'best' now).

I'm going to cannibalise as much as I can off my current PC - so I should be able to re-use the PSU - which is fairly new and about 650w I think - a hard-drive, a small SSD (sufficient for my OS), monitor, keyboard and mouse.

So essentially, I'm after advice of which CPU/mobo, GPU and RAM to go for. I'm upgrading from a Q6600 with a HD6850. Would like to keep the price to ~£500, but can go higher.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2013 23:29:06
    @heavy_salad

The thing is, you aren't really upgrading from a budget PC setup. The existing motherboard and CPU you've got(of the time) is closer to these in modern day product(which aren't budget).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Overclocked-Gigabyte-X79-UD3-Motherboard/dp/B007XD4F1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385594146&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Overclocked-Sabertooth-X79-Motherboard/dp/B007XD6GTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385594146&sr=8-2

Given your criteria to have the PC remain future proofed, I get one of those options above and a new case(if needed) and buy a new GPU or two in 6months when you can buy Titan performance for £250.

I bought the exact same X79 setup with i7-3820, 6months back when it was £40 cheaper.
  • richardiox 27 Nov 2013 23:32:08 5,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And despite having that CPU and being a veritable tech-head / graphics whore you still don't do PC gaming?! Can I ask why, it seems weird.

Edited by richardiox at 23:33:58 27-11-2013
  • Moot_Point 27 Nov 2013 23:41:00 3,902 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I wonder if vizzini understands the word budget. Because heavy_salad wants to keep it under £500 for everything he needs.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 27 November 2013 23:44:23
    @richardiox

I told you ages ago. I lost interest when buying games changed on PC with the advent of Steam(and HL2), Gfwl, origins. I had my X1 outrage moment back then about always online and DRM.

I still want to buy a game and know I own it without some authentication bullshit. I look at quake3 running on the RaspberryPI and remember what I used to like about the PC. I also think the proliferation of Directx watering down the to-the-metal optimisation of PC games offended me, so I just went back to using them as productivity tools.
  • superdelphinus 27 Nov 2013 23:59:30 8,011 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You get offended by some very niche things
  • richardiox 28 Nov 2013 00:42:27 5,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @richardiox

I told you ages ago. I lost interest when buying games changed on PC with the advent of Steam(and HL2), Gfwl, origins. I had my X1 outrage moment back then about always online and DRM.

I still want to buy a game and know I own it without some authentication bullshit. I look at quake3 running on the RaspberryPI and remember what I used to like about the PC. I also think the proliferation of Directx watering down the to-the-metal optimisation of PC games offended me, so I just went back to using them as productivity tools.
    Or you could just actually ignore the above and enjoy the cheap and vast library of games with iq that makes the ps3 look shit. I swear you're more bothered about niche technical elements than you are about actual videogames .

You do realise there are loads of amazing games you could play on your pc that have no DRM or online requirements. They'd have graphics and IQ you'd get off on and that your PS4 won't be capable of. If you're a gamer and they're there at your fingertips again, why haven't you got involved. It's weird.

Is your hatred of Microsoft that deep that you're effectively trying to boycott directX/Windows gaming/xbox? It would explain how passionately you used to troll every . single. digital, foundry. 360.article.ever. And your obsession with Cell. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, it's not an ethical issue and you're missing out on so much software
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2013 01:28:53 13,188 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let's not waste any more air on the knuckle dragger that doesn't realise "to the metal" programming on PC stopped the day we left software rendering. Glide, OpenGL, DX, all different flavours of the same thing. Even his much-vaunted Quake 3 in that example was built on OpenGL, which itself is pretty far from the metal.

I'm personally thankful that I don't have him shitting up my platform of choice, it's only a shame he's on it for productivity reasons. And, in this case, 'productivity' means working himself up into a fit of apoplexy about insubstantial bollocks and then having a furious ragewank.
  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2013 01:49:42 5,754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like vizzini's posts. You have to remember that they're not forum posts as part of a discussion. They are instead quite clever and well-thought-out puzzles for us to decipher and complete.

For example, he just mentioned his X1 outrage moment with always-online. The first part of the puzzle: by "X1" does he mean "Xbone" or "LAN port"? The next: Xbone was never announced to require always-online, so why does he refer to it? Wheels within wheels.

As for him giving up on PC gaming in 2004 and not wanting GFWL, he had this to say about DiRT 3...

vizzini wrote:
    If my PC rig was fast enough I probably try a demo(if available) with my GT5 wheel and maybe buy it, if it was on a par with McRae Rally (1) on PC(@ 60fps)
    You see? His posts are like a Phoenix Wright EG subgame. OBJECTION! He actually doesn't buy PC games because his "rig" is shit.

Edited by PenguinJim at 01:50:06 28-11-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2013 03:14:01 13,188 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're wasting air, PenguinJim. Air that could be better spent locating bargains and posting about them for me in the relevant threads. ;)
  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2013 04:00:36 5,754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've bought ALL THE GAMES! Didn't you notice how my bargains trended from 360 disc games through DS cart games and PC download games to Android games and now nothing? I've got ALL THE GAMES from those systems now! (Except for Metro: Last Light and that Kerbal game)

Besides, I'm studying vizzini in particular because I'm writing a book about him. I believe that the total sum of his words without explanation or context could either be a bestseller or something beyond the explanations of modern science. It will be called the Voyzzini Manuscript.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2013 08:36:05
    @hut_what

If you disable the secure boot (in the bios) to allow you to multi-boot and remove the 16GB hiberfile.sys file by disabling hibernation mode, you'll lose a couple of seconds, but yeah. Windows 8 is very fast at booting from an SSD.

If you intend to do the win 8.1 update, ignore the mfr device drivers and just do enough of windows updates to get the win 8.1 update to start installation. Then go back and install any higher performing or featured GPU/sound card/MB chipset or raid controller type drivers, as win 8.1 installation on modern custom builds fails for many people.
  • heavy_salad 28 Nov 2013 09:42:17 715 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @vizzini I know my current set up isn't 'budget' for its time, and my current limit might be a little higher than what would normally be considered 'budget' but ideally I'd wanted to spend around £500 for everything, not £500 per component.

As I said, I don't need the 'best' - I just want something that will play the latest games better than my current set up (which is actually 'ok' with most games anyway) and have the option to easily upgrade in the future if need be.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2013 10:15:55
    @heavy_salad

The easy upgrading in the future part is the grey area imo with anything less than LGA2011 socket motherboard. If you can reuse your SSD, OS, DVD-RW, PSU/CASE for now, and your GPU is still plenty good enough for 6months more. Especially if put it with a quad channel memory 8 logical core i7 (to offload Physx) using Pcie 3.x.

The first/cheaper option is £550, meaning if you could avoid buying a new case, then you've got the foundations for a really good build.

edit:

Can modern day AMD GPU drivers offload physics calculations to Intel CPUs? Or is that just a Nvidia feature on Windows?

Edited by vizzini at 10:19:33 28-11-2013
  • Moot_Point 28 Nov 2013 10:28:13 3,902 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• MMMarmite 28 Nov 2013 10:29:27 988 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @heavy_salad You need to take Viz's posts with enough salt to kill the entire human population. He doesn't read your posts and offers an educated reply instead he just posts his usual bull about how everyone should do exactly as he does.

As to your question and to keep this on topic, you'll probably want to look at pairing something like an i5 4670 with a Z87 motherboard (The MSI Z87-G43 seems to be the best for price/features on a budget), 8GB of RAM and a graphics card. The graphics card is probably going to be the one component that puts you over or under budget.

I'm not up to date with GPUs but the build described above with a AMD R9 270X can be had for £510 on scan, changing to a NVIDIA 770 will push the price to £610. Dropping to an i3 might be an option to save a bit of money to get a better GPU.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2013 10:49:08
    @MMMarmite

Did you read his original post and note the hardware he currently has? The new hardware you suggested will “ALL” need replacing much sooner than the lifespan of the Q6600 he's currently got. That isn't an easy upgrade future proofing like he wanted. That's a buy a celeron motherboard chipset and replace the lot every two years like a Polaroid camera

A Core i3 upgrade from a Q6600 is a good idea in your opinion? The difference would hardly be seen from his existing SSD setup. Games are becoming much more CPU aware and memory/GPU/CPU bandwidth intensive as a result of console development for PS4/X1/WiiU.

So you really want someone else to risk the wrong option on the most frustrating part to replace in their PC(Motherboard) and the knock on effect it will have on CPU replacement and overall longer term budget/system longevity?
  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2013 10:57:43 5,754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Technically, isn't choosing any option "risking the wrong option"?
  • richardiox 28 Nov 2013 11:06:03 5,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vizzini advice is pointless. Thread is about GAMING PCs. Viz doesn't do PC gaming and thus has no concept of relative component value. I remember when he was legitimately recommending a workstation GPU as the best gaming option.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2013 11:08:48
    @PenguinJim

I'd say, if you chosen the cheapest consumer focused option that also subsumes all the lesser options and can scale to the best options then you've chosen as best you can from what's available. History suggests that buying Pentium positioned products provides superior gaming longevity and value for money compared to Celeron pitched products, hence why Heavy_salad will have bought the Q6600 in the past, where it was much easier to choose.
  • Page

of 147 First / Last