The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 122

• Page

of 157 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2013 10:00:40 13,958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think there was a difference of 40-50 between 8GB and 16GB where I got it. That didn't feel like it was worth saving. Whereas the 110 difference between the GTX760 and GTX770 _did_ feel like it was worth saving.
  • Rodpad 6 Aug 2013 10:13:40 2,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or save on both :)
  • Phattso Moderator 6 Aug 2013 10:17:37 13,958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah - but on the offchance I do start making something for the Oculus Rift I'll be happy to have the extra RAM. Plus sluggish task switching really annoys me.

It cost me 90 for two 8GB Corsair Vengeance sticks - I didn't feel like I'd had my pants pulled down.

I'm just proud that I exercised enough self-restraint to not go for the GTX780. ;)
  • Buztafen 6 Aug 2013 11:40:43 16,532 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A slight flaw in my new idea of first getting a new GPU and an SSD is that my current mobo only has SATA2 so it wouldnt be able to take full advantage of new drive...i could not eat for a couple of months and get everything at the same time i guess, drop a couple of dress sizes at the same time...
  • Buztafen 6 Aug 2013 11:56:25 16,532 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers mazty, can you link me to a graph? I like graphs...
  • pauleyc 6 Aug 2013 12:29:41 4,543 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    Cheers mazty, can you link me to a graph? I like graphs...
    Tom's Hardware has got graphs. Also, check out the next page in that round-up.

Edited by pauleyc at 12:31:11 06-08-2013
  • Rodpad 6 Aug 2013 12:30:02 2,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is A SATA 3Gb/s Platform Still Worth Upgrading With An SSD?
  • Rodpad 6 Aug 2013 12:32:31 2,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Group high five!

The most telling is this particular one though

• Buztafen 6 Aug 2013 12:44:36 16,532 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, good job hivemind. Ive literally just finished reading that Tomshardware article after a quick Google before popping back in here to see you've all linked to it.

You see its stuff like this that needs to be released so its common knowledge.

Edited by Buztafen at 12:44:56 06-08-2013
  • Duffking 12 Aug 2013 16:11:18 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, so my new monitor arrived and it's shit. The colours are just far too washed out - I loaded up Blood Dragon for example, and I just couldn't even see the bloody floor, it was just a weird washed out grey. Dabs seem like they'll let me return it so I probably will, and get another.

Anyone got recommendations for a 22 inch 1080p monitor? I think I might go for an IPS display, will that help?
  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 16:40:18 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I realise that this will be extremely patronising if you already have... but have you tried configuring the monitor? Or failing a full professional-style calibration, at least setting it into a different mode (mine, for example, looks precise on its "Scenery" mode, but hideously garish on "Gaming", but modes will vary from brand to brand)?

You're using DVI or HDMI, right?

Tried cheating by oomphing the Digital Vibrance? :p

OK, you've probably done all that (or maybe had another look and realised there was one setting that was easy to overlook due to Acer's stupid OSD and now can see the floor in Blood Dragon).

If you're still looking for another monitor, this might be a sign that you should go for a 16:10 screen! Oh, yes! 16:10! The way nature intended! The most amazing aspect ratio known to gaming! Nothing better than 16:10!

Someone recommend him a decent 22" 1920x1200 monitor, please! :)
    Edit: OK, your awful, tiny, 16:9 one was ~110, right? Here's a wonderful 24" IPS 16:10 1920x1200 screen wrapped in some unattractive black plastic for 150.

Edited by PenguinJim at 16:54:15 12-08-2013
  • Duffking 12 Aug 2013 16:53:51 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I realise that this will be extremely patronising if you already have... but have you tried configuring the monitor? Or failing a full professional-style calibration, at least setting it into a different mode (mine, for example, looks precise on its "Scenery" mode, but hideously garish on "Gaming", but modes will vary from brand to brand)?

You're using DVI or HDMI, right?

Tried cheating by oomphing the Digital Vibrance? :p

OK, you've probably done all that (or maybe had another look and realised there was one setting that was easy to overlook due to Acer's stupid OSD and now can see the floor in Blood Dragon).

If you're still looking for another monitor, this might be a sign that you should go for a 16:10 screen! Oh, yes! 16:10! The way nature intended! The most amazing aspect ratio known to gaming! Nothing better than 16:10!

Someone recommend him a decent 22" 1920x1200 monitor, please! :)
    Yep, HDMI. There were 5 presets, 4 which were incredibly bright, the other which was rather dimmer. The only settings on it were for colour warmth, brightness and contrast. The contrast setting did bugger all, frankly.

The brightness, if high, was extremely high. Turning the brightness down made the whole picture go more and more washed out and grey. So I kept it up. Basically, in games stuff looked pretty good in bright scenes, but any scene which wasn't fully lit turned into a horrible washed out grey-black mess, for example in blood dragon. Turning the in game brightness up helped, but when you're running with the brightness turned almost to full in nVidia control panel, totally full on your monitor, and still have to turn the in game brightness up in order to see things... The only way to make games look good in low light settings was to whack the brightness up in-game, but that made them look awful as soon as you were in a normally lit area.

I whacked Digital Vibrance up, at 100 things just looked too saturated, so went for around 80, which helped, but it still looked like the actual picture had had its transparency turned down to 80% and then had a layer of grey underlaid beneath it.

Basically it looked like someone was shining a torch from behind the screen. I've gone back to my old 1680x1050 monitor and the difference is night and day. Vibrant colour and not washed out at all.

Tried switching between windows controlling colour and nVidia, but neither looked right. I simply couldn't get black to appear... black.

Anyway, phoned up dabs and told them it's a piece of shit, and the return's all organised. They said I could try getting it certified as faulty by acer, but I opted to just send it back and order a different one once I get my refund.

Edited by DUFFKING at 16:55:41 12-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 16:59:02 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know if this is standard practice or not, but I've had the brightness on my last couple of monitors set anywhere from 0% to 5%. Although I don't think that'll help with your current problem - actually, it sounds like it might possibly a dodgy monitor (yours specifically, I mean), as I've never heard of problems like that before! As none of my patronising advice was any use last time, I'll try once more! Tried a different HDMI cable?

And in case you missed my rather-late edit, have a look at this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-005-DG
  • Duffking 12 Aug 2013 17:14:45 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've taken some pics of the scene. Doesn't quite show the exact problem but you should get the idea. Pics taken one after the other, no flash:

Screen at 0 brightness:
    http://i.imgur.com/Se3BXUK.png

Screen at 100 brightness:
    http://imgur.com/L3UQdHV.png

My old screen:
    http://imgur.com/DlF79J2.png

That monitor looks nice but it's a limited time deal, I want my refund before I spend more money :p

Edited by DUFFKING at 17:15:06 12-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 17:27:08 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that backlight bleed is pretty intense! Well, at least we know 0 brightness is the way to go. To my old eyes, that doesn't look like a monitor should, even a cheap POS. Do websites and movies have the same problem?

OK, looking around...
    "Be sure to download the icc profile that is listed on the acer website and install it by simply right clicking.

Then go to the control panel and click on color management, choose to use your own settings and add the Acer profile that was downloaded.

finally you must open whatever software your graphics card uses whether it's amd catalyst control center or nvidia. After doing some tuning in there you'll be able to have a great monitor that you stole from the refurbished section of amazon!"

From a user named "Holland" over here.
  • Duffking 12 Aug 2013 17:49:00 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Found the profile and downloaded it. Everything still looks washed out as fuck. I think you've nailed it with backlight bleed. I'm typing this post on it using that profile, the brightness turned down to 0, and it still just seems absurdly bright... yet not bright.

I took another pic with those settings, and well...

http://i.imgur.com/VFcDjdn.png

You simply can't make out any detail in the landscape near the middle of the screen. It's a horrid grey mess.

Edited by DUFFKING at 17:49:43 12-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 17:56:38 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Return it with all speed and pray you can still grab that bargainous 150 of creamy 16:10 goodness!

Although I'm looking forward to vizzini's advice on fixing it in the meantime. Let me see... possibly, due some of the electrical components in that particular monitor being manufactured in Japan in 2009, the resonance frequency of two of the coils may be being offset by the British voltages. You might need to double-reverse the polarity. Consider investing in an AC-DC adapter and a DC-AC adapter, and then plugging them both into the wall and the monitor into the adapters. Finally, turn on the monitor by using your finger or any handy but relatively unmalleable pointy object to depress the on/off switch. This should sort out the problem with the light distribution harmonics.
  • Duffking 12 Aug 2013 17:59:17 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah, it looks good at 169.99 anyway. Is it the monitor you have?

I'm torn between thinking it's a faulty monitor, and just a straight up piece of crap. I'm leaning toward the latter, but seriously... it strained my eyes looking at the screen.
  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 18:11:56 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a 26.5" 16:10 Asus (I was shopping for a higher-quality 24" 16:10 screen, but stumbled across a price too good to refuse). It really is the maximum possible size I recommend for a screen sat on a desk in front of you, though - I think from 27 inches there'd be noticeable head-movement during games! (Edit: I still think 24" 16:10 would probably be optimal... but I'm not sure if I'd be able to move to a smaller screen size in future, which kinda limits my options :()

From the many minutes of research I did on that IPS-2402WDH, it's similar to its bigger brothers (2703WPH and 3004WPH), has a surprisingly decent screen, and cheap plastic casing. Having now done an additional minute of searching around, keep some nail varnish handy.

Edited by PenguinJim at 18:14:52 12-08-2013
  • Duffking 14 Aug 2013 16:34:37 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Might pull the trigger on this one when my money's refunded.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-064-DE&tool=3

Looks pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9f1iwGIDuA

Edited by DUFFKING at 16:40:58 14-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 14 Aug 2013 16:44:25 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Those do look lovely in person - the matte plastic casing looks wonderfully professional.

But it's only 16:9 and 22", and it's at the budget end of Dell's screens and only has two connections: VGA and HDMI. For another 30 you could get that 16:10 24" screen with VGA, HDMI and DVI. It also has shitty stereo speakers for emergencies! :p

The Dell still has nicer-looking plastic, though.

But it's all about the screen, not the plastic. Spend that extra 30. Treat your eyes. Going from your old 16:10 monitor to that 16:9 Dell postbox is bound to be painful. Continue your path among the 16:10 elite, my friend! Go past the limits of 1080P into a new world of higher-than-1080P! DO IT!

(But whichever way you go, don't forget the 1% cashback at Quidco or the 1.05% cashback at TopCashBack. Don't do both, though, as you'll get neither!)
  • Buztafen 14 Aug 2013 16:46:04 16,532 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFKING, that looks like when the Digital Colour Setting is set to RGB on my screen in Nvidia settings.

Whats it set at at the moment? RGB or YCbCr444?

Edited by Buztafen at 16:47:20 14-08-2013
  • Duffking 14 Aug 2013 16:50:01 7,580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:

But it's all about the screen, not the plastic. Spend that extra 30. Treat your eyes. Going from your old 16:10 monitor to that 16:9 Dell postbox is bound to be painful. Continue your path among the 16:10 elite, my friend! Go past the limits of 1080P into a new world of higher-than-1080P! DO IT!
    Hmm, I'd prefer 16:9 because PS3 games look a bit odd on my 1680x1050 display as they get scaled weirdly rather than get black bars top/bottom like my xbox. I only really need the HDMI port, I can just swap between my consoles/PC :p

Buztafen wrote:
    DUFFKING, that looks like when the Digital Colour Setting is set to RGB on my screen in Nvidia settings.

Whats it set at at the moment? RGB or YCbCr444?
    Tried both, same issue with each. It's gone back to dabs now anyway.

Edited by DUFFKING at 16:51:11 14-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 14 Aug 2013 17:00:58 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:

Hmm, I'd prefer 16:9 because PS3 games look a bit odd on my 1680x1050 display as they get scaled weirdly rather than get black bars top/bottom like my xbox. I only really need the HDMI port, I can just swap between my consoles/PC :p
    Noooooooooooo! Stupid PS3! No other console has that problem!

It's fixed easily by using the 1:1 pixel mapping on the monitor, though... which that DGM monitor doesn't have. Ah, well. The Dell screen really does look lovely! You'll be cooing over it for months. :D
  • Rodpad 16 Aug 2013 12:00:46 2,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking for a new monitor with a good response time, sexy colours, deep blacks and little to no ghosting or backlight bleed. I'm not too fussy on the bezel, but that DGM one is piss ugly.

It absolutely has to be 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080.

Any recommendations? Something under or around 200 would be good. 24 to 27 inch.

Edited by Roddles at 12:02:14 16-08-2013
  • PenguinJim 16 Aug 2013 12:24:16 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In my 10+ minutes of 24" 16:10 searching for DUFFKING, everything other than that DGM monitor was 207+.

You could.... paint that bezel? ^^

Edit: I think eBuyer do their specials on Saturdays, so you could see what pops up tomorrow.

Edit again: and as a specific recommendation, lack of tilt aside I've had no problems and have no complaints about this Asus VW266, but there was nothing "wow" about it except the price (I got mine for about 140 three-ish years ago).

Edited by PenguinJim at 12:28:31 16-08-2013
  • Sharzam 16 Aug 2013 17:06:19 3,373 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find this useful when i get a new monitor

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews_index.htm

If your monitor is on the list then look at the review and you can even download the ICC profile for it, link below. Although every individual monitor is different (not enourgh to matter) you can generally get a good idea what you will want to set it to for your model.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Edited by Sharzam at 17:07:02 16-08-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Page

of 157 First / Last