The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 119

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• B0rked_Gamer 29 Jul 2013 15:08:50 1,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gelf wrote:
    I've been going along fine at 1080p with medium settings using a paltry GTS 250 for years now but now its showing its age and I want to upgrade. Researching it I thought it sounds simple at first but then I read stuff about cards needing newer versions of PCIe and I think my motherboard (a GigaByte P55M-UD2) would possibly bottleneck or not work with any cards with any worthwhile improvement. The CPU is a first gen i7 860 so any upgrade to that would need a new motherboard as well.

Is it even worth getting a new GPU for this system or should I just start again. This is the problem I always have with PC hardware. By the time I actually want to upgrade it feels like enough tech has moved on that upgrading is pointless and I need an entire new system anyway.
    That motherboard uses PCIE 2.0 which is fine for any card.
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 15:10:33 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok so after 2 months of deliberating and parts swapping I've finally clicked pay.

I5 3350p CPU
    Gigabyte GA Z77 m-itx motherboard
    Zotac 2GB GTX 660ti GPU
    Sugo sg05 m-itx case
    120mm Xclio 256 Colour LED Quiet Fan
    120GB PNY XLR8 SSD SATA III Read 500MB/s Write 450MB/s 60000 IOPS
    500W CiT Micro-ATX Quiet Fan PSU
    Akasa Low Profile Heat Sink

I already have 8GB of 1600 corsair Vengeance ram to complete it.

Getting delivered tomorrow so I'm like a child on Christmas eve right now!

The next question is what to do with my existing machine? Its only an amd a4 chip so cant do anything too taxing. Maybe XMBC?
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 15:16:56 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone used XBMCbuntu?
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 15:16:56 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • gelf 29 Jul 2013 15:33:48 185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @B0rked_Gamer
    Thanks for that, I couldn't find any version number for my board, and if I can't find something I tend to assume I'm as out of date as possible.

So my only question now before I upgrade is how long can I reliably depend on my CPU.
  • B0rked_Gamer 29 Jul 2013 15:39:32 1,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the 860 running at stock or overclocked? It should have plenty of life left in it with a decent overclock.
  • spleendonkey 29 Jul 2013 16:09:53 30 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TVoJ How hard would it be for a complete newbie to build a PC and get windows on it? I want to spend 400 or so on a computer, but it seems like you can get so much more building. It just scares the hell out of me!
  • Bremenacht 29 Jul 2013 16:17:23 15,756 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Read back through this thread. Many people have described building from scratch for the first time, offering different builds and prices, along with useful experience to pass on.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Rhaegyr 29 Jul 2013 16:17:51 1,112 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was wondering if someone could have a quick look over this build for me and tell me if it's suitable.

A friend of mine wants a PC for 400 or less so I knocked this spec up based on deals at the time of typing and best bang for his buck. I'm quite new to this though so would like to make doubly certain that all the parts will work together and it's not a poor PC for the price.

CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 3.5/4Ghz
    GPU - Sapphire HD7850 2GB GDDR5
    MB - Asus M5A97 R2.0
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    PSU - 700W

The rest of the bits such as HD, fans, case etc. are probably not important so I won't list them.

If anyone could lend a hand by simply confirming it can be built I'd really appreciate it - any suggestions and improvements are more than welcome too.

Thanks!
  • Roddles 29 Jul 2013 17:23:55 1,432 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    Ok so after 2 months of deliberating and parts swapping I've finally clicked pay.

I5 3350p CPU
    Zotac 2GB GTX 660ti GPU
    Sugo sg05 m-itx case

The next question is what to do with my existing machine? Its only an amd a4 chip so cant do anything too taxing. Maybe XMBC?
    You've made a tiny error in that CPU there. You should 100% go for the i5-3570K which will run at 4.2Ghz with a simple change in the bios. That'll definitely keep you from upgrading the CPU for a long time.

Other than that it looks fine, no real need for the extra fan on a light build like that. Oh, and you will also want a mechanical storage drive to go along that small SSD.

XBMC will run on any of the APU chips from recent years.

Edited by Roddles at 17:26:52 29-07-2013
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 17:30:43 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhaegyr

Not too clued up on the amd MB's so I'd have to look at that but first thing I noticed......do you need 700w? thats alot.
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 17:32:17 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spleendonkey wrote:
    @TVoJ How hard would it be for a complete newbie to build a PC and get windows on it? I want to spend 400 or so on a computer, but it seems like you can get so much more building. It just scares the hell out of me!
    Its not hard at all bro, and with youtube about theres really no reason to not give it a go.

If you need help picking parts, leave a budget here with your needs and I'm sure lots of us will help point you in the right direction!
  • crashVoodoo 29 Jul 2013 17:33:29 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    CPU - AMD FX8320 @ 3.5/4Ghz
    GPU - Sapphire HD7850 2GB GDDR5
    MB - Asus M5A97 R2.0
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    PSU - 700W
    I think that PSU might be a bit OTTfor what you need? How many other bits are going in the case?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 29 Jul 2013 17:35:20 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bremenacht its really easy and there are plenty here that will give you advice

Wow, TVoJ is quick

Edited by crashVoodoo at 17:36:35 29-07-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 17:40:31 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    TVoJ wrote:

I5 3350p CPU
    Zotac 2GB GTX 660ti GPU
    Sugo sg05 m-itx case

You've made a tiny error in that CPU there. You should 100% go for the i5-3570K which will run at 4.2Ghz with a simple change in the bios. That'll definitely keep you from upgrading the CPU for a long time.

Other than that it looks fine, no real need for the extra fan on a light build like that. Oh, and you will also want a mechanical storage drive to go along that small SSD.

XBMC will run on any of the APU chips from recent years.
    Decided to plump for the 3350p as it runs at 69W and i wanted to keep temps low and I'm never gonna use the igp.
    The 120mm fan is the replace the one in the case, i really wanted lots of flow and a fan controller.
    And as for storage, got HDD's coming out of my ear from down the years.

At least by buying the z77 if I do need an upgrade in the next 2 years it should only be the cpu and gpu.

Thanks for the input tho
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 17:46:12 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhaegyr

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Use this site to calculate your psu needs mate :)
  • TheBlackDog 29 Jul 2013 17:53:51 259 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @gelf I have exactly the same motherboard but I'm running an i5-750 CPU overclocked to 4.1 Ghz with Turbo enabled, but which idles at the lowest stock levels when it isn't being pushed. Your CPU is better than the i5 in mine.

My opinion is that you'll be absolutely fine upgrading just the GPU. I've read up a bit about whether my CPU and board could be the bottle-neck with recent GPUs and it still doesn't seem so. Google brings up most answers like this: Toms Forum

The PCI Express 2.0 on our boards performs the same as PCI Express 3.0 at real-world settings. Here is the conclusion to this question in an article where they found some minor benefits with PCI Express 3.0 when playing at "unplayable" settings: PCI Express 2.0 vs 3.0

The truth of the matter is that, for gaming, a CPU and mobo upgrade will bring marginal benefits, while a GPU upgrade will give you a significant increase in FPS at higher settings.

I just put in a 7870 2 Gb OC edition card for about 100 which allows me to play at Ultra, 1920 x 1080 (OK, i did have to RMA the card because of a manufacturing fault, but its still a great budget card). I also just bought 8 Gb of really fast DDR3 because it was cheap and I only had 4 Gb.

Obviously, if you are thinking about buying a Titan, you wouldn't run it with your rig, and you probably wouldn't think twice about upgrading everything. But I've got plenty of interests to spend money on, and I game on PS3 and 360 as well as PC, so my build and getting as much out of that mobo (which is a great little board) is fine for me.

Having said all that, if you keep the CPU and mobo, I'd be tempted to overclock it so that it does bring the CPU performance, on clock speeds, up to the ballpark levels of current CPUs. I just don't believe that spending a few hundred quid on mobo and CPU brings benefits that you can really notice, especially for gaming. In fact, if I was doing big file transfers and compute heavy work, I'd probably want USB 3, SATA 3, slightly lower power consumption and a more capable CPU before I cared about PCI Express 3.0

Edit: OR, "yeah, what he said"

Edited by TheBlackDog at 17:56:01 29-07-2013
  • Roddles 29 Jul 2013 17:54:45 1,432 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TVoJ, at load my 4.2Ghz i5-3570K runs at 65C by the way. Idles at 29C. With a proper cooler (even the default one) they don't get too hot as long as you feed it the correct voltage.

Nobody uses the onboard graphics on it and you can't buy the unlocked chips without it anyway.

Edited by Roddles at 17:56:51 29-07-2013
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 18:15:18 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Roddles

What sort of case do you use?
  • Rhaegyr 29 Jul 2013 18:21:40 1,112 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @crashVoodoo @TVoJ

I've only gone for the PSU as it was mentioned on RPS and is only fifteen quid;

http://www.ebuyer.com/390639-alpine-700w-blue-psu-12cm-fan-4x-sata-alpine-blue-700w

The only other things going in the case will be a hard disk, dvd drive and possibly an SSD in the near future.

Appreciate the help from both of you :)
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 18:42:58 1,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhaegyr

Fuck me that is cheap. Anyone had experiance with alpine PSU's? I've not I'm afraid.
  • Rhaegyr 29 Jul 2013 18:59:14 1,112 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TVoJ

Yeah - I remember paying around 50 for my 650W a year ago. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with cheaper models either.

I've always considered RPS a credible source though and the reviews look positive. I know there's a fair bit of debate about whether there's any difference between cheap PSU's and the pricier models.
  • gelf 29 Jul 2013 19:18:35 185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheBlackDog
    That's all good to know thanks. I'll look into just getting a new GPU then. I've never overclocked before so I'm a bit reticent about doing that but I'll give it a go if and when I find its needed.

And yes like you ideally I always want a half decent level PC as well as a least one current console at the same time. Don't wanna blow all the money on the PC if I can avoid it even if it is my first choice system for games.
  • FutileResistor 29 Jul 2013 21:25:30 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really surprised that RPS would reccommend an untested PSU. I had a google for a review of the Alpine 700W PSU. No surprise that there was no review from a reputable site. Here's what I did find.

PSU problems :c
    Basically having psu problems bought a budget case with a 500w psu and it blew taking the 3v 12v -12v and 5v with it. Ive now got an alpine 700w blue and it looks as if its heading the same direction the psu gets pretty hot under extreme conditions such as playing skyrim maxed etc and its having a similar burning smell to the 500w before it went so i assume this psu is still not ideal perhaps the rail current not sufficient enough?
    My PSU Exploded. I've learned my lesson
    So my PSU exploded the other day. The brand was alpine and i had bought it from ebay. When i researched cheap PSU's, i saw warnings about them and decided to ignore them. Well it's been around half a year since i had the PSU and i decided to stress test my GFX card as i was getting info for a new case. All of a sudden BOOM-BOOM!! BOOM!! three bangs that sounded like gunshots accompanied by a blue flash for each bang. I thought "this is the end for my computer" upon further inspection, only the PSU had gone and the rest of the components worked fine (i know how lucky i am)
    Which is why even for ultra budget builds I always recommend a Corsair CX430 V2 or a XFX 450 Core edition and in fact either would be fine in 90% of builds not needing SLI or Crossfire.

Edited by FutileResistor at 21:27:56 29-07-2013
  • Roddles 29 Jul 2013 23:15:13 1,432 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TVoJ

Just some cheapo Coolermaster 334U, with Noctua NF-P12 fans at the front and rear.
  • Rhaegyr 29 Jul 2013 23:19:32 1,112 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @FutileResistor

Thanks for taking the time to scout this out for me - think I'll plump for the one you mentioned, especially as it's only 35 quid (the Corsair one).

Hopefully a potential problem averted!

Thanks again :)
  • whatthefu 30 Jul 2013 00:51:57 823 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's looking like my 530w BeQuiet PSU is struggling with my Phenom ll x4 965 and GTX 660 on high settings, the 12V rail drops to 11.4V as the CPU is throttled and therefore performance drops to rubbish.

If I do need a new PSU, is a 650W gold rated one enough?
    If not I was aiming for 700 or 750.
    It seems like Seasonic is the only brand everyone still loves, does anyone have a bargain going for a good, quiet (gold rated hopefully) PSU, by seasonic or any other well regarded brand?
  • FutileResistor 30 Jul 2013 06:47:14 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Be Quiet in general is pretty well regarded but something is obviously wrong because even with overclocking you should only just be breaking into 400W power draw with that setup.

If you're not overclocking both the Corsair CX430 V2 or a XFX 450 Core edition (the XFX is made by Seasonic) should be fine. If you are overclocking, a 500W PSU from Antec, Seasonic or Corsair should be fine.

Just check that it has been reviewed and given a pass by Anandtech, PC Perspective, Hardware Secrets, Xbitlabs, extremeoverclocking or jonnyGuru.
  • fletch7100 30 Jul 2013 07:07:29 6,177 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone had any experience of using the new Nvdiva Shadow gameplay footage recording program? Dont think it has been released yet( still havent got new PC yet so I dont know) Is meant to be easier on your system than Fraps
  • Page

of 141 First / Last