The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 118

• Page

of 152 First / Last

• DodgyPast 26 Jul 2013 19:15:49 8,478 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Different graphics settings eat up different amounts of memory and performance.

The 384mb GTS card I had a few years ago taught me that when GTA 4 came out.

The whole argument in a PC thread is particularly silly... Of course by the end of next year 4gb will let you keep a couple of settings a little bit higher in a few games... The settings that need RAM more than performance.

Hopefully the nVidia settings software will be smart enough by then to handle it for you.

Edited by DodgyPast at 19:23:52 26-07-2013
  • b0rk 26 Jul 2013 19:30:20 2,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No self-respecting member of the master race would use that POS.
  • DodgyPast 26 Jul 2013 19:52:59 8,478 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    No self-respecting member of the master race would use that POS.
    It's been doing a pretty decent job for me recently.
  • TheBlackDog 26 Jul 2013 21:28:19 395 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Meanwhile, over in the Budget Gaming PC Thread, someone is about to hand-in a cracking thesis for their psychology degree on why homo-erectus (male) loves to argue about PC components like its the pre-bout face-off for a boxing match.

Oh, damn, this IS the Budget Gaming PC thread. Shit ! I wonder if the shiny computer bits industry ever worries about all of this ohmyfuckinggodmycomputerisabouttoblowupunlessimakeitnextgenCONSOLELOLcapable paranoia ???

And all I know is that every time I buy a graphics card, I have so much shit getting the bastard to work I don't care if its got fucking spoilers and is turbo charged. Just let it work LIKE a console does and that'd be enough for me. /literally just RMA'd my GPU today and spent 4 hours getting the old one to work while I wait for a replacement - might explain the annoyance I just vented.
  • superdelphinus 26 Jul 2013 22:20:33 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any blu ray burner recommendations?

For fuck's sake
  • superdelphinus 26 Jul 2013 22:21:24 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TheBlackDog was your bios up to date?
  • TheBlackDog 26 Jul 2013 23:54:28 395 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @superdelphinus Yeah - the BIOS was up to date. The old card had been working fine but I stupidly just decided to unplug the new card for RMA and put the old one back in. Same drivers so didn't need to install new ones. I think the problem is that I did it when my computer was in "sleep" and when I woke it up it had different hardware. At first it let me get in to safe mode and offered to repair some stuff, then that failed and I couldn't even get in to safe mode.

Had to put in the new GPU again, delete the drivers and reinstall the same drivers I already had installed. Took ages to trouble-shoot because weird shit kept happening like if Windows would install its video drivers, the old card wouldn't work as soon as I'd reinstall the proper AMD ones. Some non plug and play drivers in Device Manager got screwed up, aaahhhhhh. Still, only 4 hours and it was fixed.

My impression is that most people see all of the teething problems associated with PC gaming as 'normal' and just something you have to do to have the superior to console gaming experience i.e. trouble with getting components to work, bugs, patches, driver updates neeeded to have game X run smoothly, etc. I'm starting to wonder if its worth it.

@metzy it was AMD. A lowly Sapphire 7870 2 Gb OC. If I'd bothered to spend hours reading threads on the internet, instead of actually playing games, I would have found out that those cards are susceptible to black screen crashes in a shit-ton of different games after playing for about 20 minutes. I even got a card from a later batch after AMD/Sapphire had realised they'd been using sub-par capacitors but some later ones (like mine) are still affected. Lottery ! Thats the kind of crap I hate about gaming on a PC. Still the card was 'only' about 80 new after I sold the 4 bundled games else I wouldn't have bothered to update my 5850.

I was feeling better after getting all of that out - and then I remembered that even the new card can't just stay in 2D mode when I'm surfing unless I disable hardware acceleration in Chrome. For the love of god ...
  • DodgyPast 27 Jul 2013 01:45:00 8,478 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's why I resigned from the PC master race ;-)

From now on it'll only be established chipsets and nVidia. If I miss out on a little price performance or have to wait a while for new tech to have the bugs worked out it's worth it to avoid future annoyances.
  • TVoJ 27 Jul 2013 11:06:44 1,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wtf happened in here. I thought this thread was free of all the silly fanboi arguments the rest of the forum is plagued with.

Really need to find a new forum to peruse.
  • Ranger_Ryu 27 Jul 2013 15:21:12 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why is upgrading so hard anyway been looking for a new graphics card (only have a NVIDIA GT420,which came with the PC) was looking at either the GT640 or GTX650 (I think.........) but I don't know if I'll need a new power supply and all that rubbish, plus I have no idea how to actually put the thing in! I've never upgraded a PC before so..........
  • Bremenacht 27 Jul 2013 16:51:27 18,458 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    Wtf happened in here.
  • Bremenacht 27 Jul 2013 16:58:49 18,458 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Obnoxious creatures aside, the value of future-proofing should make for good discussion. Especially regarding the apparent conflation of memory usage on console and on PC.

Another thread. If there is one. (Next gen?)
  • Deleted user 27 July 2013 18:07:03
    Sorry for the no doubt stupid question but cam I build a pc that also functions as a 7.2 amp and what would be the best and cheapest solution for that.
  • rtk79 27 Jul 2013 19:24:24 493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Sorry for the no doubt stupid question but cam I build a pc that also functions as a 7.2 amp and what would be the best and cheapest solution for that.
    An amplifier sends out electrical current. I've never heard of a PC doing that.
  • TheBlackDog 27 Jul 2013 21:13:36 395 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    In the next, next (or maybe next after that one) gen, I'd like my PC to toast muffins and maybe if theres enough GDDRRRR7 memory kicking about, how about crumpets too.
  • Ranger_Ryu 28 Jul 2013 11:51:20 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    Why is upgrading so hard anyway
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    plus I have no idea how to actually put the thing in! I've never upgraded a PC before so..........
    yeah I'll admit I so misworded that but still actually knowing whether you need to upgrade power supplies etc is annoying
  • FutileResistor 28 Jul 2013 21:51:43 1,237 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    Why is upgrading so hard anyway been looking for a new graphics card (only have a NVIDIA GT420,which came with the PC) was looking at either the GT640 or GTX650 (I think.........) but I don't know if I'll need a new power supply and all that rubbish, plus I have no idea how to actually put the thing in! I've never upgraded a PC before so..........
    It's not difficult at all. Changing the GPU is the easiest upgrade you can do for a PC. There are numerous guides, youtube videos showing exactly what you need to do.

I wouldn't get a 640 orr 650. A 7770 is substantially better and is about the same price as the 650. This one is 84 and comes with free Sleeping Dogs and Farcry 3 Steam codes, which you could sell on if unwanted.

The 7770 shouldn't draw much more power than your 420, maybe 30 to 40 watts more at most. A decent 350W PSU should be fine with that card.

There are loads of PSU calculators, this was the first link on google.

Edited by FutileResistor at 22:23:35 28-07-2013
  • y2rich 28 Jul 2013 23:46:18 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are there any decent deals going on 21.5" Full HD monitors going at the moment. Would prefer HDMI but DVI should be ok. Want to pick up 2 but would rather spend less than 180
  • Ranger_Ryu 29 Jul 2013 01:09:20 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FutileResistor

thank you very much I'll look into that.
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 01:46:11 1,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @y2rich

My local Tesco has a few Samsung 22" led full HD monitors on clearance for 120 notes so might be worth a look near you.

Sssshhhh tho, don't tell hukd.
  • TVoJ 29 Jul 2013 01:47:31 1,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, 180 the pair. I see.
  • y2rich 29 Jul 2013 03:55:43 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TVoJ

Aye. Seen plenty in the 100-110 range but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a deal somewhere.
  • Rodpad 29 Jul 2013 11:53:27 1,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Indeed. I bought an internal bluray player for my PC earlier this year and, well, bluray support for Windows is absolutely shocking. Terrible audio delay resulting in completely off lipsync. None of the proper bluray media players support AV sync adjustment either. I have to open the .m2ts file on the bluray through XBMC and use the Audio delay function there. You can forget doing this with blurays protected by obfuscated files and folders.

I'm not sure how your PC can be a proper amp either. It can certainly drive a PC speaker setup via 3.5mm phono cables to powered speakers, but I don't know of any expansion cards that can power proper passive speakers.

Edited by Roddles at 11:55:10 29-07-2013
  • gelf 29 Jul 2013 14:52:03 188 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been going along fine at 1080p with medium settings using a paltry GTS 250 for years now but now its showing its age and I want to upgrade. Researching it I thought it sounds simple at first but then I read stuff about cards needing newer versions of PCIe and I think my motherboard (a GigaByte P55M-UD2) would possibly bottleneck or not work with any cards with any worthwhile improvement. The CPU is a first gen i7 860 so any upgrade to that would need a new motherboard as well.

Is it even worth getting a new GPU for this system or should I just start again. This is the problem I always have with PC hardware. By the time I actually want to upgrade it feels like enough tech has moved on that upgrading is pointless and I need an entire new system anyway.
  • Page

of 152 First / Last