The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 110

• Page

of 149 First / Last

• kentmonkey 7 Jun 2013 15:36:23 20,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have the CX430, I got it as part of my AMD build last week, and it's amazingly quiet. The cables were really good quality as well.
  • dagoberto 7 Jun 2013 16:14:51 279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get the i5 for sure mate, i went from a dual core sandy g540 to a i52500
    and far cry 3 my frames went from around 30 to 60, fifa played smoother etc just the fact its 4 real cores vs 2 also gives way more future proofing.
    Also i recommend this xfx psu(seasonic rebrand) over the cx430 as it has 2 pci power connector's and more amps on the 12v rail (gpu)
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/p1-450s-x2b9.html
    i have a cx430v2 and i have to use an adapter as my gpu requires 2 pci cables (gtx560ti), so i regret not getting that xfx.
  • dagoberto 7 Jun 2013 16:17:24 279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just seen your getting a sg05 case so i guess that be quiet sfx psu's your only option.
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 17:26:49 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I don't think that CX 430 will fit!

Think I'm going to go for the i5 but with a 7770 now.

Cant really see any benefit in going for say this b75 for the 40 difference it'll cost.
  • FutileResistor 7 Jun 2013 17:45:50 1,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doh. I completely failed to register that the SG05 is mini-itx. Ignore me, I'm terrible at this recommendations malarkey.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 17:48:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The 7850 will boost your gaming but it will definitely make it a lot warmer and may struggle to fit!

May be worth just upgrading the graphics card in a couple of years. A 7770 will give you good performance for sure.
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 18:24:19 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    The 7850 will boost your gaming but it will definitely make it a lot warmer and may struggle to fit!

May be worth just upgrading the graphics card in a couple of years. A 7770 will give you good performance for sure.
    This is exactly why I've decided to dump the 7850.

Sorry futile, I probably should have been more clear about the size of my build.

I think this is it - 514

I'll have to calculate the power usage to make sure 350W is going to be enough and I'll shop around a bit and see if I can trim a few quid too.
    Not really in a rush for it so if there are expected sales due I'll hold off.

Had a little look round to see if I could find a replacement panel for the case, GPU side to add some ventilation but no joy. Anyone have any thoughts about how I could mod the case?
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 18:26:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TVoJ the intel's are definitely more power efficient than amd's, so should run cooler too.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 18:30:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PC power calculator recommends a minimum 270w power supply if you have the 7770 and don't overclock.
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 18:39:10 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Excellent news. Could you link me to that calculator please rob?
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 18:49:49 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just used the one at outervision.com and got 240. That's with 2 USB devices and a performance fan so I think we can safely say the be quiet will be plenty enough.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 18:50:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I included one HDD, a DVD drive and two fans. So you may want to add an SSD if you calculate it.

I've used this plenty of times and its always proved to be reliable so far!
  • dagoberto 7 Jun 2013 19:09:06 279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The sg05 should fit a hd7850, that psu has 30 amps on 12v rail so can handle it also, they also do the case with a decent 450w psu included for 110 (a lot more i know prob not worth it but has 2 pci connectors for beast gpus)

Blimey that fan seems pricey also 15 quids,

Also some of that stuff is cheaper on there today only section (ssd is 79 cpu is 139)
    and if you have an avforums or hexus account they offer free delivery

also the stock intel cooler may fit anyway as there not very big and as you cant overclock the cpu you wont need a better one i dont think
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 19:34:28 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the fan is pricey but its got incredible flow at a really low dB so is going to be worth it in a build this small.

I could probably drop the CPU cooler though.

Thanks for the heads up on today only. Always forget to check that.
  • TVoJ 7 Jun 2013 20:50:54 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've done a little digging and found that if I use the paypal20 code on dabs to buy my CPU and motherboard I can upgrade to an ASrock h77 and save 2-3 quid overall.

Said motherboard features wake on lan which I'm sure I can make good use of.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Jun 2013 21:11:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds good!
    Have fun building it!
  • TVoJ 8 Jun 2013 15:22:10 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking at this comparison, I'm not sure whether the 3350p is a better option for me?
  • FutileResistor 8 Jun 2013 15:59:56 1,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In theory the P processors should be great for gamers, a cheaper CPU with the redundent on chip GPU disabled. If you got, say, a 20 discount over the equivalent normal chip it would be great. In practice, the 3350P is usually more expensive than the 3330, which just makes it a pointless waste of time.
  • TVoJ 8 Jun 2013 17:18:39 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's like 3 quid cheaper on scan.
  • FutileResistor 8 Jun 2013 21:06:52 1,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You get a piffling 100MHz boost over the 3330 and slightly less power consumption.

You lose the IGPU which could be useful if your GPU goes kaput and you don't have a spare lying around. Also apparently quick sync is great in video encoding/editing if you have an app which supports it. I've never used an app which supports it.

The way the specs and price differential works out in the market is just not interesting. A 3 discount is just not compelling. I could toss a coin on the decision and whether it landed heads or tails would just be meh.

Edit for grammar.

Edited by FutileResistor at 21:10:26 08-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Jun 2013 21:07:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FutileResistor actually in the small case the reduced power might be handy in keeping heat down
  • crashVoodoo 9 Jun 2013 01:38:39 3,858 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its been ages since I've spec'd a PC up so. I think the last time I did it was socket 478 (?) on my old P4 ....

anyways, i'm on the fence over going for a living room based pc rather than a next gen console and decided to research building one.

I've been at it all day, wow I've read so much, and come up with the one below. The link will take you to scan where I've shared the basket.

I'm not 100% if these bits will play nicely together, fit in the case or even be a bit piss poor so I'd like some advice. I also haven't really done any shopping around for prices, figure I'll approach that bit next.

I'm not in a rush to jump straight in so can easily wait till some of the prices drop

shared basket on scan

Edited by crashVoodoo at 01:39:53 09-06-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• RobTheBuilder 9 Jun 2013 02:05:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @crashVoodoo will take a proper look tomorrow, but at first glance only two issues I can think of are whether the graphics card will fit, and if so what power it consumes/heat it generates.
  • grey_matters 9 Jun 2013 02:11:56 3,687 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Its been ages since I've spec'd a PC up so. I think the last time I did it was socket 478 (?) on my old P4 ....

anyways, i'm on the fence over going for a living room based pc rather than a next gen console and decided to research building one.

I've been at it all day, wow I've read so much, and come up with the one below. The link will take you to scan where I've shared the basket.

I'm not 100% if these bits will play nicely together, fit in the case or even be a bit piss poor so I'd like some advice. I also haven't really done any shopping around for prices, figure I'll approach that bit next.

I'm not in a rush to jump straight in so can easily wait till some of the prices drop

shared basket on scan
    You could probably shave a few quid here or there.
    RAM 39
    7870 154
  • crashVoodoo 9 Jun 2013 08:52:42 3,858 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @crashVoodoo will take a proper look tomorrow, but at first glance only two issues I can think of are whether the graphics card will fit, and if so what power it consumes/heat it generates.
    That's my only concern with it being a small case. If it wasn't going in the living room id go for something a bit bigger but I don't want a tower under the tv, I want it to fit in as much as possible with the skybox and 360. Might look at a desktop style case...

• crashVoodoo 9 Jun 2013 08:56:19 3,858 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @grey_matters

Cheers, that's shaving quite a bit on the card.

I had initially spec'd a haswell board that was crossfire ready so I could whack in another GPU later but a post in this thread put me right off it. Is it definitely the wrong move?

*edit* kinda answering my own questions but after reading it seems crossfire and sli can be a bit wonky. Think I'll stick with a single gpu setup and upgrade the card over time.

Without starting some kind of argument what at the opinions between nvidia and radeon. I was aiming for the 7870 because of price ....

Edited by crashVoodoo at 09:54:45 09-06-2013

• mikew1985 9 Jun 2013 10:01:28 12,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Crossfire or sli are rarely worth the hassle so you've come top the right conclusion. By the time you'll be looking for more power from your GPU you'll be able to replace your current card with a much better single card GPU.
  • grey_matters 9 Jun 2013 10:42:25 3,687 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    @grey_matters

Cheers, that's shaving quite a bit on the card.

I had initially spec'd a haswell board that was crossfire ready so I could whack in another GPU later but a post in this thread put me right off it. Is it definitely the wrong move?

*edit* kinda answering my own questions but after reading it seems crossfire and sli can be a bit wonky. Think I'll stick with a single gpu setup and upgrade the card over time.

Without starting some kind of argument what at the opinions between nvidia and radeon. I was aiming for the 7870 because of price ....
    I don't think many people here are too concerned about brands. The performance per //$ (or watt, even) is usually the basis for advice. With the money saved so far (and maybe a bit more if FutileResistor shows up) it might be tempting to upgrade to a 660Ti. Fairly serious power on offer there. The other way to go is take a step down to 7850, save the money and once the consoles start passing out your PC, say in 18 months time, sell it off and add your saved money to get another mid-range card that the consoles will never catch up with. Or get an SSD to boot up from, they are a huge addition.
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Jun 2013 12:06:45 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Crossfire and Sli is generally never as good as a single card, but can be a good way to boost performance cheaply if you have a low to mid level card already.

The mini itx will work with many graphics cards, but some of the higher end cards are pretty big, so make sure you check the sizing. You could buy a decent mid level card now, and then just switch it in a couple of years time. Bear in mind the more powerful the card the more heat it is likely to produce (which may be an issue in a small case) - I believe the nvidia cards are more efficient so it could be worth looking at a 650ti or a 660ti if they fit.
  • TVoJ 9 Jun 2013 14:40:13 1,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

That's practically the same build as what I'm looking at bar the GPU. The power recommendations for mine were like 277w so the be quiet should do you.

As has been mentioned the code paypal20 will get you 20 quid off a 200 spend at dabs so maybe split your order to save a few bucks.

If the 3350p has a lower power draw, slightly faster processing and is cheaper I really don't see the point in the 3330 unless you're/we're not getting a GPU. Look at the link in my last post.

Have you ever owned an ssd crash? They really do make a difference.
  • Page

of 149 First / Last