The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 106

• Page

of 147 First / Last

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 08:11:08 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hey guys, I've just bought a HP p6 pavilion 2388ea and I was wondering what graphics cards I could buy?

I haven't used a PC for gaming for over a decade and I'm a real noob.

I'm looking to play Bioshock Infinite on High quality graphics at a decent framerate of 60 at least.

How much am I looking to spend? Is it as simple as buying a card and slotting it in or is there more I should know?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 08:36:53 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The card that's currently installed is an AMD Radeon HD7570 and is supposed to be okay for mid range gaming. The guy in PC World (yeah I know, fool) said Infinite should run fine on medium but it's pretty choppy in combat.

When loading the game through Steam an alert pops up saying that the drivers are out of date and need downloading. However when it manages to load up the desired web page my card doesn't seem to be supported or Windows 8 for that matter.

Oh the joys of PC gaming. I fall for it every time!

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 08:38:29
    @JiveHound

What type of frame-rate does the internal or dedicated GPU give you at the moment?

Judging by the technical specs of the system your options are very limited (PSU is only 300watts) and HP's support pages provide zero information on expansion power connectors. So whether the system even provides PCIexpress power to power a card even at a GTX660 level isn't clear

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=5311909
  • grey_matters 27 May 2013 08:50:58 3,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll need a new PSU. AMD bundle a few games with their cards (although one is Bioshock Infinite, I think). What is your budget?
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 09:18:15 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    A couple of hundred quid I could stretch to. Does PSU mean Power Supply Unit?

I've just downloaded all the drivers that seem to be attributed to my card series but Steam is still telling me they're still out of date. I tried installing AMD's auto detect software but it doesn't recognise my OS.

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 09:22:49
    Yes, PSU does mean power supply unit.

Is there newer (32/64bit as appropriate) drivers for your card for either vista or windows 7?

If there is, installing these might fix your driver issue.
  • mikew1985 27 May 2013 09:22:50 12,589 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's probably something to do with it being an integrated GPU.
    I used to get a similar warning with an old laptop and AMD integrated graphics, despite the drivers being up to date.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 09:29:20
    @mikew1985

No the AMD Radeon HD7570 should be a dedicated card according to the specs. Just to be on the safe side, are you definitely plugging the PC monitor into the dedicated card's hdmi/display adapter port JiveHound?
  • mikew1985 27 May 2013 09:47:41 12,589 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's got an A10 processor in there, it's a integrated CPU/GPU solution.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 10:04:49
    Yeah I didn't doubt that the A10 had an integrated GPU, but is it the AMD Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB dedicated) ? Isn't that a dedicated low profile GPU plugged into the PCiev2 slot?

If not, thanks for the correction. It seems like AMD need a better naming scheme so the integrated gpus are as easy to recognise as the Intel ones.
  • grey_matters 27 May 2013 10:39:29 3,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:

I've just downloaded all the drivers that seem to be attributed to my card series but Steam is still telling me they're still out of date. I tried installing AMD's auto detect software but it doesn't recognise my OS.
    Probably a 7850 and a decent power supply then. I'm not sure if it would quite match your requirements but you'd definitely notice the improvements.
  • mikew1985 27 May 2013 10:56:22 12,589 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Yeah I didn't doubt that the A10 had an integrated GPU, but is it the AMD Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB dedicated) ? Isn't that a dedicated low profile GPU plugged into the PCiev2 slot?

If not, thanks for the correction. It seems like AMD need a better naming scheme so the integrated gpus are as easy to recognise as the Intel ones.
    Perhaps there is a dedicated GPU in there too, I didn't go looking too deep into the specs, I was basing it off a conversation I had with Jivehound in the Bioshock infinite thread.
  • mikew1985 27 May 2013 10:57:25 12,589 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:

Probably a 7850 and a decent power supply then. I'm not sure if it would quite match your requirements but you'd definitely notice the improvements.
    This, a 7850 will lift you way above current console levels of fidelity and you'll probably be able to achieve a full 60 Fps in most games.
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 18:59:43 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks for the input guys.

I'm definitely plugging my TV straight into the HDMI port on the video card.

I've downloaded all available drivers so should I ignore the warning that Steam presents when I try to load Bioshock or should I take note?

If I buy a 7850 card and the PSU to power it will I be able to install them without any problems to my unit.

Sorry to ask so many questions, PC gaming after such a long hiatus means I really am green behind the ears.

• grey_matters 27 May 2013 19:10:01 3,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you ever installed a graphics card before? Check inside the box before buying anything and make sure you know where the PCIE slot is (and that there isn't anything in it already).
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:12:28 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Last time I upgraded a PC was in 1998. I bought a Voodoo 3 and a Realtime Audio Card. They conflicted and killed my PC.

I gave up on PC shortly afterwards.

• RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 19:22:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it voids the warranty but check inside the box first as some manufacturers have weird cases that are harder to upgrade.

I don't think many do now, but always best to be safe.

The graphics card is about the single easiest part to add. The psu should screw in to the same place it is now, then you have to just make sure you connect the same parts up.

Just make a note of which sockets on the motherboard had connections and connect them (each socket is a different size so you can't put the wrong cable in)
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 19:29:58
    @JiveHound

From the scant information on hp's website the PSU is a modified
    Gamay, 300W, ATX, Active PFC of unlisted dimensions and form factor. Short of either taking pictures and dimension from opening the system up and/or removing the PSU from the PC case it is impossible to say if an off the shelf replacement can fit.

I fear the more certain solution is to buy a new cheaper case with PSU and fit the HP innards to the new case. Fortunately the motherboard is a standard uATX form factor according to HP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03343058

But the work involved in transporting the innards is more work than build a machine from scratch.
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:30:04 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Okay. What I've learned so far is that if I want to upgrade the graphics card I need to know the wattage of the PSU required?

Then I need to know whether it will physically fit into my case?

What say you all about my Steam drivers conundrum? I haven't tried Infinite since installing them but I'm expecting the same choppy framerate anyway. Because I'm a cynic.

To be fair though. Even on Lowest settings it looks more vibrant than the 360. It's the key bindings for all the actions that's the kicker. I may have to grab a pad. For all the accuracy of the mouse having all those commands on the keyboard is counter intuitive to say the least.

Edited by JiveHound at 19:30:35 27-05-2013

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:33:38 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @JiveHound

From the scant information on hp's website the PSU is a modified
    Gamay, 300W, ATX, Active PFC of unlisted dimensions and form factor. Short of either taking pictures and dimension from opening the system up and/or removing the PSU from the PC case it is impossible to say if an off the shelf replacement can fit.

I fear the more certain solution is to buy a new cheaper case with PSU and fit the HP innards to the new case. Fortunately the motherboard is a standard uATX form factor according to HP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03343058

But the work involved in transporting the innards is more work than build a machine from scratch.
    Balls.

This was a debate the two salesmen were having. Obviously the one talking the most shit won.

Fool and his money etc.......

Have I just bought a dud for gaming?

I may be able to take solace in the fact that it should be fine for most other stuff I chuck at it. Right? Tumbleweed.

The point in buying a PC is its customisability. If you can't swap out parts easily then WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 19:37:50
    You are fine, you can take it back for a refund as the guy talking shit misrepresented the product, which they can't do under the sale of goods act.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 19:42:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought psu's were generally a standard size? Unless its a custom unit I suppose.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 19:44:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JiveHound correct in principle, but I have seen someone try to upgrade an HP a few years back and it had some ghastly complex plastic innards that made upgrading really awkward
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 19:48:26
    @RobtheBuilder
    It could well be, and the small risk of buying a more powerful PSU for a small form factor uATX system would be no problem if it were you fitting it.

In the event of the fan being incorrectly orientated, etc you'd either switch out the two PSU's innards, or buy a new case and move everything across. But this is not advisable route JiveHound, as he is asking questions that indicate a rough road ahead.
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:48:59 2,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Should I really take it back based on the fact that Bioshock Infinite is choppy?

It was obvious to me then that the salesman was reaching but how much responsibility is with him and not with me for just being an impulsive schmuck?

Edited by JiveHound at 19:49:15 27-05-2013

Edited by JiveHound at 19:50:31 27-05-2013

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 19:55:11
    The answer is in the name of the store. They are PC f******** world and know nothing about PCs. It is all on the sales person imo. You wanted a PC for the intended use of entry level gaming, and bought an internet, DVD, word processor intended product. 300watt PSU isn't even powerful enough for an entry level gaming PC and the salesman should have told you it was unsuited to your needs.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 19:58:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As someone who used to work at Comet I can assure you that the salespeople will, on the whole know absolutely bugger all.

I worked there for 4 years and no one ever even told me the difference between an integrated and dedicated graphics card. I had to work that out for myself.
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 22:56:39 20,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having just broken my laptop with a right hand, I now need to desperately build a PC. I have 400 for the parts, case, the works. Have sorted out an AOC monitor.

I'll need to get an operating system and was thinking if Win 7 as I think 8 might make me lose my rag. And as the laptop has witnessed tonight, i'm not in the best of moods recently.

Rob I think it was you helping me out a page or so back but whoever happens to help with recommended build I'd be grateful (as well as where to buy),

As before, mainly for amateur photo editing and older games, so don't need brilliant soundcard for jnstance.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 May 2013 23:06:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not quite as up on budget models, but I'll have a look when I get on my PC.

Could possibly be one of the CPU/gpu amd models that will give the best value for what you've said.
  • kentmonkey 27 May 2013 23:12:42 20,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks.

My temper has basically just cost us our holiday. :-(
  • Page

of 147 First / Last