The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 97

• Page

of 149 First / Last

• Sharzam 11 Jan 2013 12:32:52 2,832 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got a Antec 900 a few years ago. The huge fans and modular bays that come out from the front and contain the fans are really handy. Only gripe (due to age) is the front USB ports are only 2 instead of 3. Would definitely get a bottom psu case again.

Overall good case, has been updated to the 902 I think the only difference is cosmetic styling and price is higher.

Edited by Sharzam at 12:36:57 11-01-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Buztafen 17 Jan 2013 08:58:03 16,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More GPU's for sale!

4 x 560Ti 448's my company no longer needs!

Grab em while they're hot, the last ones went in less than a day! :)
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Jan 2013 18:22:41 2,433 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have a ddr2 mobo with a q6600 and a gtx 460 card. Only got 3gb ram atm, but will be getting some money from the sale of my ps3. The first thing I think I need is more ram (it can take 8gb but I think i'll go with 4gb as ddr2 is expensive.)
    However, it runs Bf3 on medium to high with a bloody good frame rate. The resoloution is fairly low, which helps.
    If I want to make it more powerful, what will be the bottleneck? Would it be worth picking up another gtx 460 for sli? Will the processor keep up?
    The q6600 is overclocked to 3.0ghz, which is stable. Runs better at 2.8 though.
    In april I will be starting over with a view to getting an i5 and spending a few quid on a good gpu.
    Not looking for 1080p60, more like 720p60.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Dirtbox 20 Jan 2013 18:26:34 77,656 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mind it's not a 32bit motherboard. Regardless of what the version of windows is, a lot of those DDR2 boards won't let you get at more than 3.5gb. Look the board up.

Memory is generally the best all round upgrade though.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:28:01 20-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Jan 2013 18:40:29 2,433 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's got Windows 8 64, so ram isnt a problem up to 8gb. Should have said that.

• Maturin 20 Jan 2013 18:41:23 2,937 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    I have a ddr2 mobo with a q6600 and a gtx 460 card. Only got 3gb ram atm, but will be getting some money from the sale of my ps3. The first thing I think I need is more ram (it can take 8gb but I think i'll go with 4gb as ddr2 is expensive.)
    However, it runs Bf3 on medium to high with a bloody good frame rate. The resoloution is fairly low, which helps.
    If I want to make it more powerful, what will be the bottleneck? Would it be worth picking up another gtx 460 for sli? Will the processor keep up?
    In april I will be starting over with a view to getting an i5 and spending a few quid on a good gpu.
    Sounds like your old system was very similar to mine. It was a Q6600 with a GTX460. I had 4GB RAM in mine, the mobo was a Striker Xtreme (which was crap).

I recently built a new machine with an i5 and a GTX660ti - 1080p60 performance. I know you're not looking for that kind of oomph, but you'll likely get it with any decent mid-range graphics card.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Jan 2013 18:54:44 2,433 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been really impressed with both the gpu and cpu. The mobo is pretty good despite being ddr2.
    It's this one.

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 18:55:00 20-01-2013

• orpheus 20 Jan 2013 20:09:28 1,000 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit's going south fast on my old Core i5 750. I'm in the market for a new CPU and mobo, preferably a K series Ivy Bridge for overclocking. Thoughts/suggestions?
  • FutileResistor 20 Jan 2013 21:25:21 1,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    RAM makes minimal difference in gaming, 3GB is plenty and you will get no fps increase by adding more. What adding more RAM would do is improve multitasking performance, provided your OS/motherboard supports it. If it was DDR3 there would be no harm in getting some but DDR2 is not worth it and you won't be able to use it when you upgrade.

If you're staying at 720p, just upgrading the GPU would be fine, but the 460 should be good enough for most things at 720p.

Wait til April and see what the situation is with new GPUs/CPUs and ask again in this thread.
  • Buztafen 21 Jan 2013 09:29:29 16,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    I've been really impressed with both the gpu and cpu. The mobo is pretty good despite being ddr2.
    It's this one.
    Mentioned before a few times but ive got a similar setup. Q6600 at 3.4 ,4gb DDR2 on a Gigabyte mobo (P45 chipset). I recently upgraded my aging 8800GTX to a 560Ti 448. The hike in performance was very noticeable and i get good fps on games like BF3 at 1080p mostly around the 60fps mark on high settings. However that CPU will be a bottleneck for any higher performance cards imo. I'm waiting for the next gen of i processors before upgrading as i currently get me the performance i need in the games i play.

At your resolution a quick GPU update may be all you need for a year or so. Hope that helps.

Edited by Buztafen at 09:32:54 21-01-2013

Edited by Buztafen at 10:06:13 21-01-2013
  • superdelphinus 21 Jan 2013 10:21:09 8,038 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Shit's going south fast on my old Core i5 750. I'm in the market for a new CPU and mobo, preferably a K series Ivy Bridge for overclocking. Thoughts/suggestions?
    I5 3570k
  • pinebear 21 Jan 2013 11:13:52 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is going back some way but thanks to sanctusmortis for posting his idea for a budget PC build, as well as kingcrowbar and Sal who chose a similar direction.

sanctusmortis wrote:

That's a full PC, bar peripherals, built on an A10. You could cut it down easily by using a cheaper, lower power PSU, but 410 for a full PC and Windows is pretty damn good.
    I built a similar system recently and can say that it works well for games on modest settings. There's room for a graphics card and extra RAM at a later date which will give it a boost. In the meantime, there's other things to spend on (or save for). Worked out well, would recommend.

• whatthefu 21 Jan 2013 20:57:54 864 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought my radeon 5850 was holding up well, but running I Am Alive at 720p, low settings - the frame rate low is and tearing is everywhere. Was hoping I could wait until the 7850 is about 100
  • pinebear 21 Jan 2013 21:44:19 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No doubt, rodpad. I spent less on W8 but more on the case and chip, for example.

• Sharzam 22 Jan 2013 08:08:11 2,832 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    orpheus wrote:
    I5 3570k
    If thinking overclocking would the 2500k be better? As the larger size is better for heat distribution.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• grey_matters 22 Jan 2013 08:20:58 3,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    orpheus wrote:
    I5 3570k
    If thinking overclocking would the 2500k be better? As the larger size is better for heat distribution.
    Probably, although I think it has more to do with the thermal interface material than the smaller size. Intel seem to have gone for a shitty one with Ivy Bridge. On the other hand the Ivy bridge is better clock-for-clock and uses less power.
  • rtk79 26 Jan 2013 12:42:36 493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another noobish HD 7850 question for the knowledgeable : would setting the CCC Graphics Overdrive settings to their highest values (1050 clock speed and 1450 memory) drastically raise its power use ?
  • asha 1 Feb 2013 13:27:32 1,991 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm putting together a PC for my girlfriend on a budget, I've managed to score a free Intel Q6600, but I'm not sure of the best motherboard to get.

I've found three, I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at each one and tell me which would be the best buy.

They are:

ASRock G41M-VS3

Asrock G41M-S3

MSI G41M-P28

Cheers.

Edited by asha at 13:28:03 01-02-2013

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Buztafen 1 Feb 2013 13:52:59 16,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd go for the MSI. My parents have a machine built on a similar MSI mobo and it's solid.

Full set of speaker inputs too.

Get that Q6600 overclocked! :)

EDIT:- Actually after a quick google it appears it will be hard to OC the processor on that if you're thinking about it as the vcore is locked. If not then it looks like a nice enough board.

Edited by Buztafen at 14:00:33 01-02-2013
  • bodhi85uk 2 Feb 2013 23:18:38 179 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just bought a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb Hybrid drive, and in case like me, anyone here was reluctant to buy a bog standard mechanical drive, not prepared to pay a few hundred pounds for a 512gb SSD, and not wanting to juggle space with a smaller SSD boot drive and larger data drive.

Basically, I'm very happy with it. It caches the OS boot files to the 8gb of flash, so my machine starts up in under 20 seconds from cold, as quick as my 2011 Macbook Pro with a Cruclal M4 128gb SSD. Within about 5 seconds of booting I can start opening apps, again, they pop open as the drive puts critical files for the most used apps on the flash portion of the drive. The whole process is invisible to the OS, so it just appears as a single 750gb (approx 700gb formatted) drive.

Id say its 33% SSD matching performance, 33% better than mechanical drive performance, and 33% normal hard drive performance. Would definitely recommend it.

Edited by bodhi85uk at 23:19:36 02-02-2013

Edited by bodhi85uk at 23:20:35 02-02-2013
  • Bremenacht 2 Feb 2013 23:27:34 17,710 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They do sound decent. If was to get a laptop with just one bay or no mSATA I'd get one. ( A hybrid, I mean)
  • Salaman 4 Feb 2013 11:16:47 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    This is going back some way but thanks to sanctusmortis for posting his idea for a budget PC build, as well as kingcrowbar and Sal who chose a similar direction.

sanctusmortis wrote:

That's a full PC, bar peripherals, built on an A10. You could cut it down easily by using a cheaper, lower power PSU, but 410 for a full PC and Windows is pretty damn good.
    I built a similar system recently and can say that it works well for games on modest settings. There's room for a graphics card and extra RAM at a later date which will give it a boost. In the meantime, there's other things to spend on (or save for). Worked out well, would recommend.
    Quite happy with mine so far although I think I will spend some of my NY bonus from work on a dedicated GPU. After I got it, I played Borderlands 2 on it without any issue. I've been playing Xcom-enemy unknown a lot as well. When I put Max Payne 3 on it, it defaulted to 800 x 600, so I just whacked it up to the native resolution on my screen and hoped for the best. It's crashed two or three times mid game with a reboot or a blue screen. So I'll have to check the graphics settings and turn off some bells and whisltes.

Only annoyance now is that last week both Xcom and Borderlands 2, which were working fine crashed as well. Windows pop-up mid game to tell me the game stopped working and off to the desktop. Very annoying as I was about co complete a mission in Xcom and hadn't saved since the start. :-/

So hopefully adding a GPU will alleviate some of the problems. I'll just need to swap out the PSU as well.
  • Tomo 8 Feb 2013 17:26:14 13,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a HIS HD5770 1GB for sale if anyone is after one. PM me if interested, or I'll stick it on eBay.
  • RedSparrows 11 Feb 2013 11:54:58 22,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pinebear wrote:

sanctusmortis wrote:

I got similar, and can save for RAM/GPU. It runs a lot of things surprisingly well, and unsurprisingly struggles with other things.

Manages RTS, fine with me.
  • pinebear 11 Feb 2013 12:13:31 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    \o/

• joeymoto108 12 Feb 2013 15:38:55 641 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got an AFOX GTX 550 Ti for sale, PM if you're interested. Don't think I have the official box or anything anymore for it, but I'll sell cheap, say 50, open to offers though.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Salaman 12 Feb 2013 16:06:32 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Only annoyance now is that last week both Xcom and Borderlands 2, which were working fine crashed as well. Windows pop-up mid game to tell me the game stopped working and off to the desktop. Very annoying as I was about co complete a mission in Xcom and hadn't saved since the start. :-/
    Replayed that mission succesfully but I then went away for the computer with the game running still (view of the Xcom base) and it crashed about 25 minutes later.

I found the location of the log file in c:\windows\minidump but the dmp files aren't readable. I'd like to know if it contains a clue as to the problem.

I did check the tool that came with mobo and it looks like I tinkered with an "auto tuning" option when I first got it for "instant turbo" or somesuch nonsense improvement in performance. It's basically an automated overclocking, so I undid that in case it's causing the problem.
  • Lt_Drebin 12 Feb 2013 16:13:01 146 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When I had random stability problems with my last pc it was due to some "cool-n-quiet" setting being on by default on the mobo while I'd been busy unlocking cores. This caused an overheating issue. If you've had some overclocking "turbo" setting on without adequate cooling that could well be your problem.
  • asha 15 Feb 2013 15:07:02 1,991 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a question about RAM:

I'm building a computer for my girlfriend and have some spare triple-channel RAM (2GB x 3) which I'd like to use, but the motherboard I'm looking at is only dual-channel.. Am I correct to assume that the computer will recognize all 3 sticks, but will only use it in single-channel?

If so, which would be better, 4GB of dual-channel, or 6GB of single-channel?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 149 First / Last