The Budget Gaming PC thread Page 90

• Page

of 151 First / Last

• kadooosh 24 Nov 2012 11:26:59 1,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Guys, ive posted before but I'm taking the plunge soon. Not really knowing much about PC's, are either of these decent enough to play games at good settings? Also, good for the prices? Which one would be better?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140814887846

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140826451065
  • kadooosh 24 Nov 2012 11:38:58 1,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    The first one has a better GPU so probably that. Seems a bit pricey though.
    That's the thing, is it worth it? I'm not going to build one, am I paying alot for it being pre built? Is it a silly price?

Just don't want to think a week later I should have got/done something different.
  • kadooosh 24 Nov 2012 12:03:51 1,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers Rodpad that seems a much better processor! How easy is it to get an Os? As in can you get them cheap?

Edited by kadooosh at 12:04:34 24-11-2012
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 12:59:08
    @kadooosh

Currently if you download and install some of the previews of Windows from Microsoft, the windows 8 pro (boxed copy 45) will let you upgrade them to get a legally licensed copy working.

Alternatively, if you had XP, vista and did a custom upgrade install, so you removed all traces of the old O/S, but then needed to reinstall Windows 8 to a fresh hard disk, you can install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on the fresh HDD(without activating) and then upgrade the upgrade, to get it working. Although I wouldn't advise winging it like that, unless you still have a valid license to an Xp/Vista/7 key, just in case Microsoft have changed it, so that you have to supply the old key and the windows 8 pro key.
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Nov 2012 13:02:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally I'd stick with win7 x64 for now.
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 13:11:55
    @RobTheBuilder

It varies by situation. But 64bit Windows 8 Pro on new hardware, is faster(especially budget hardware), better file management tools and significantly cheaper and more secure. I won't upgrade 64bit Windows 7 Pro on my Thinkpad just yet, but Windows 8 Pro 64bit for all its faults is an absolute steal for IT professionals (who will avoid surface andWindows stores anyway).
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Nov 2012 13:17:10 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini is it fully compatible with most games yet though? I read that a lot didn't work with t.
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 13:25:48
    @RobTheBuilder

Hard to say, the issues will be GPU and drivers more than anything else. Although you can still run games with administrator privileges and Windows 7 compatibility mode if there are issues. My cheap as chips GPU is (opengl 4.x/Dx11) Nvidia GTX 650 Superclocked with the latest drivers from nvidia.

I'm not a really a PC gamer anymore. I tried steam with HL2 and the new F1 Race Stars demo, and that b-movie Metro 2033 demo, and all worked fine without tweaks. but I do offload all the physx to the CPU, so maybe physx is the issue for others.
  • Sharzam 24 Nov 2012 14:57:31 2,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what i have read any game that runs in Win 7 64bit will run in Win 8 without issue. The reason not to get get Windows 8 is more a choice thing, such as the forced 'modern' touch interface and in built store.

I cant see a technical reason why you would get 7 over 8, but can see plenty of other reasons. I plan to stay with 7 because i wont have a touch screen on my desktop for years as love my 120fps gaming.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Tomo 24 Nov 2012 15:06:32 13,917 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Reading some of the recommendations for Nvidia cards on this page, I have to disagree.

Nvidia's 6XX series of cards are insanely overpriced. It's really difficult to recommend Nvidia's cards at the current price differential vs AMD. At every price point AMD is better value.

The 660Ti is typically going for around £230. The Radeon 7950 is better than the 660Ti and is typically around £215 compared to £230.

The real story in GPUs at the moment is the Radeon 7850. A Radeon 7850, even the 1GB versions (you don't really need the 2GB if gaming at 1080p or below) can be easily overclocked to stock 660Ti levels and are available for about £120 for 1GB or £160 for the 2GB versions. So you can get the performance of a stock 660ti for £110 less.

This XFX 1GB Radeon 7850 is £137 and comes with free copies of Deus EX, AVP, DiRT Showdown, Nexiuz, Far Cry 3. Which, if you want those games (Far Cry 3 just got a 10/10 eurogamer review), may make it the best value card I've ever seen.

I'm tempted and I don't even need a new card.

Edited by FutileResistor at 11:20:12 24-11-2012
    Wow, nice looking deal that. Far Cry 3 was one reason I was looking to upgrade so this could be a possibility...
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Nov 2012 15:09:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo That's an amazing deal. I was recommending the 7850 to someone yesterday, that makes it a bargain.
  • kadooosh 24 Nov 2012 15:18:40 1,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    This one is probably the best you're going to get for 500 pre-built - http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/new-computers-chosen-by-us-for-you/amd78-fx-8120-3-1ghz-gaming-pc-computer-2tb-8gb-ddr3-ati-hd-7850-2gb-z11.html
    so betweenthe two i mentoned and this, you reckon this is best valve in terms of Spec and cost?
    How Well do you think it'd run BF3?
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 15:58:28
    Sharzam wrote:
    From what i have read any game that runs in Win 7 64bit will run in Win 8 without issue. The reason not to get get Windows 8 is more a choice thing, such as the forced 'modern' touch interface and in built store.

I cant see a technical reason why you would get 7 over 8, but can see plenty of other reasons. I plan to stay with 7 because i wont have a touch screen on my desktop for years as love my 120fps gaming.
    Once you gte Windows 8 Pro configured with an shortcut on the desktop pointing to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, (using a start button icon)

and another one pinned to taskbar, and the desktop icons (my computer, networking, etc) reinstated.
    You are effectively trading one click on the metro desktop icon, for a few seconds faster loading time. From my bios info screen ending to login screen, is 3secs (on SSD).

The issue of metro start screen/touch and no start menu are rumoured to be getting fixed in service pack one(when the price deal and free media centre upgrade pack disappear in Jan 31), as business don't want the new interface, and Microsoft want the business sales for Windows 8 Pro.

You might still need to add features(control panel add/remove eatures) for games that use older .net apis etc, but overall a 25/45 version of a professional OS from Microsoft is a great deal imo.

Edited by vizzini at 15:59:17 24-11-2012
  • Iain815 24 Nov 2012 17:22:30 412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've done a bit of a 180 turn on Windows 8 now. I've been rocking it for a few months now and at first I thought it was great, but the novelty of it has completely worn off. As a freelance web/graphic designer, it's a pain the arse.

Some drivers don't work.
    Getting rid of Aero Glass was an ugly mistake.
    It's glitchy and for the past month it blue screens every 2 days.

Yup, the ability to mount images, the fancy task manager and super fast boot are all nice, but the new UI is badly implemented with the desktop IMO. I'm switching back to 7 today.
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 17:41:35
    @Iain815

What is your setup? And are you overclocking? Windows 8 aggressively finds memory errors and HDD errors and will report with a friendly blue-screen.

I find it very hard to believe anyone knowledgeable in maintaining a balanced Windows system would make the transition to a retail version of Windows 8 (and pay for it), and then rollback to Windows 7. Other than the small start menu issue and metro page, it is better than Windows 7 in every important way imo.
  • MMMarmite 24 Nov 2012 17:50:13 1,047 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:You might still need to add features(control panel add/remove eatures) for games that use older .net apis etc, but overall a 25/45 version of a professional OS from Microsoft is a great deal imo.
    You still need an OEM license of XP/Vista/7 on the PC to "legally" install the upgrade version - so if you're building a PC you should really be buying an OEM copy of Windows 8 for 75 or 8 Pro for 110.

Also I've recently been trying Windows 8 and I'd rather stay with Windows 7 - The new UI additions just overcomplicate what used to be quick and simple.

Edited by MMMarmite at 17:51:41 24-11-2012
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 18:02:32
    @MMMarmite

That is what I was saying about licenses. But it isn't the advice given by other websites I came across, who claimed upgrading a preview was legally fine.

Microsoft clearly don't care any more, so long as they get a sale of Windows 8, they haven't devalued the product, and have the chance to backload their income from Gfwl, store, etc.

They've removed the ability to provide the key for the version being upgraded(for authentication), so they'd be in a legal vice in the UK, about not allowing people with valid previous version license keys, being unable to upgrade for no reason.

The box doesn't say upgrade version on it at all. It only tells you about the versions that can be upgraded. Like my retail full version of XP Pro does, that cost me hundreds of pounds.
  • Iain815 24 Nov 2012 18:56:01 412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Iain815

What is your setup? And are you overclocking? Windows 8 aggressively finds memory errors and HDD errors and will report with a friendly blue-screen.

I find it very hard to believe anyone knowledgeable in maintaining a balanced Windows system would make the transition to a retail version of Windows 8 (and pay for it), and then rollback to Windows 7. Other than the small start menu issue and metro page, it is better than Windows 7 in every important way imo.

Don't overclock, powerful setup (i5, R7850, 8GB RAM) ran fine for a month before the crashing, no 'friendly' blue screen either, just a plain light blue screen from which I have to turn off the computer. Rolling back drivers didn't help. But it isn't just the crashing (which could well be a hardware problem) it's all the little annoyances that build up to make it frustrating to use.

I didn't pay for it either, I got the RTM off MSDNAA for free.

Since I don't use any metro apps (apart from the shit mail app), I have no need for a fancy full-screen start menu when a simple small one in 7 pretty much does the exact same job. Plus I miss Aero, the way they tried to make the desktop windows look more metro is horrendous and feels like a half-arsed attempt.

Edited by Iain815 at 18:57:25 24-11-2012
  • Maturin 24 Nov 2012 19:04:37 3,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I installed the 25 upgrade version from a USB stick to my new build computer. That was on a totally clean system with no previous OS.

I had previously used the license on my old machine. But a simple automated phonecall to Microsoft got the license activated on the new build.

Which is nice.
  • Tomo 24 Nov 2012 19:10:03 13,917 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Tomo That's an amazing deal. I was recommending the 7850 to someone yesterday, that makes it a bargain.
    I've just noticed the 7850 occupies two slots. Would it work on my motherboard?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-M3A770DE-Motherboard-Socket-5200MT/dp/B002LFYYAY

Tempted to get it and shove it in here and see how it goes. Then upgrade the rest if I'm not satisfied with the bump in performance...
  • FutileResistor 24 Nov 2012 20:11:47 1,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your motherboard is fine, like most cards, the 7850 just takes one PCI express slot. The two slots you see are just the external slots on the back plate.

Your AMD Athlon II X4 630 Socket AM3 2.8GH would be fine if you just overclock it to 3GHz plus.

Edited by FutileResistor at 20:13:24 24-11-2012
  • kingcrowbar 24 Nov 2012 22:20:53 917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been going through tons of sites and ended up with this that I will self build:

CPU : 95 : AMD A10-5700
    Mobo: 47 : ASUS F2A55-M LK
    Case: 30 : BitFenix Merc Beta
    RAM : 19 : Kingston HyperX Genesis XMP 4GB (kit 2x 2GB) 1600MHz
    PSU : 33 : Corsair CX430
    HDD : 46 : WD Blue WD5000AAKX 3.5" 500GB
    LCD : 107 : LG IPS224V
    Mouse: 22 : Logitech Gaming Mouse G300
    KB: 8 : Logitech Media Keyboard K200, USB

Roughly 407 quid taking into account exchange rates and the fact I'm building it in Czech Republic so prices maybe quite off.

Whole system for 8 year old that will be happy playing Minecraft, FTL and the Lego games.

At least from what I've been looking at, the on-board graphics should fall somewhere between my 4850 and 6850 while still leaving the option open to chuck something in there in 2-3 years time.

OS is already sorted.

Seem reasonable?
  • abs13 25 Nov 2012 08:15:28 53 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi folks,

Recently built an i5 based gaming machine and currently using a MSI R7850 Power Edition. Have it clocked to around 1170 on the core. Very impressed for the cash spent.

However i've upgraded to a 1200p ips monitor and some games start to chug slightly at max settings when things get busy.

Was wondering how much of an upgrade a 7950 or 660ti would be? A 670 would surely be overkill for that resolution?

Using an old Corsair VX550W PSU.
  • FutileResistor 25 Nov 2012 09:53:44 1,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @abs13

It's not even a contest, the 7950 beats the 670 on performance, overclocking and price.

In fact current gen Nvidia are so overpriced, the 6950 is cheaper than the 660ti let alone the 670.

I don't think I can recommend a current gen Nvidia card at any price point as AMD Radeons are just better value across the board.
  • superdelphinus 25 Nov 2012 10:06:01 8,067 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The sapphire 7850 OC edition is generally around 147 on amazon and is a great piece of kit. Very overclockable
  • Page

of 151 First / Last