New Radiohead Songs (2009+) Page 4

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 August 2009 14:56:14
    Or, back when when they were making music in a genre you like.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 14:58:49
    CrispyXUK wrote:

Yes. That genre was 'good'.
  • BTBAM 20 Aug 2009 15:00:21 1,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Just because i like to be ridiculed, i'm going to list some of the bands i like. Prepare for smarmy Radiohead fans to take it apart, folks!

Alice In Chains, Clutch, Beck, Bowie, Deftones, early Foo Fighters, early Radiohead, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Talking Heads and Tool.

Tell me how much i suck.

There's not much wrong with liking any of those bands. Dunno why people are ever snotty about people liking early Radiohead, is it that it's supposed to bad to like the early stuff by Radiohead? Or something else? I personally love SOME of the later Radiohead material, but I totally understand why some people recoil in horror when they hear some of the sounds of the later albums. Surely that's fair enough? Maybe some people just don't like electronic-tinged music?

You're still wrong about Muse being a Radiohead copy, though.
  • BTBAM 20 Aug 2009 15:03:56 1,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:

Yes. That genre was 'good'.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't 'good' and doesn't have artistic merit. I'd rather listen to 'Lucky' or 'Climbing Up The Walls' than 'Everything In It's Right Place' or 'Go To Sleep', but then I'd also rather listen to the latter than 'Maquiladora' or 'Banana Co'. I really dislike the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam, but I can see what's enjoyable about them.

• dufftownallan 20 Aug 2009 15:12:10 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Alice In Chains, Clutch, Beck, Bowie, Deftones, early Foo Fighters, early Radiohead, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Talking Heads and Tool.
    cant fucking stomach tool (my best friend adores them, has a tool tattoo on her arm). but i wouldnt dare dream of going into a tool thread and saying "tool are awful, they make bland shouty music and their videos are horrible etc etc etc" so i would expect that you dont do the same.

from that list its clear that you have a broad taste and can appreciate music for what it is in its subtle forms and differences (take sound and vision by bowie and compare that to feel good hit of the summer, very different styles and moods but both are cracking records in their own right and miles better than the throwaway pop of the saturdays for example).

if you are going to rubbish a band in a thread celebrating said band then please come up with something constructive to say about them (like btbam did). informing us of your dislike for them isnt moving the argument at all and you just come accross as a zealous idiot.
  • dufftownallan 20 Aug 2009 15:13:23 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't 'good' and doesn't have artistic merit. I'd rather listen to 'Lucky' or 'Climbing Up The Walls' than 'Everything In It's Right Place' or 'Go To Sleep', but then I'd also rather listen to the latter than 'Maquiladora' or 'Banana Co'. I really dislike the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam, but I can see what's enjoyable about them.
    leave go to sleep alone! one of the best records radiohead ever wrote!
    not quite as good as let down tho...
  • BTBAM 20 Aug 2009 15:25:48 1,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    BTBAM wrote:

Aah, Let Down :) When the backing vocals come in on the last chorus it's SO FUCKING good. What a song. Go To Sleep is a bad example, something like the Gloaming would've been better, not a fan of that. But I like Punch Up At a Wedding and There There, and 2+2=5. There's always at least one or two songs from each Radiohead album I love, it's just that there were more that were to my taste on OK Computer and The Bends.
  • dufftownallan 20 Aug 2009 15:35:34 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    BTBAM wrote:

Aah, Let Down :) When the backing vocals come in on the last chorus it's SO FUCKING good. What a song. Go To Sleep is a bad example, something like the Gloaming would've been better, not a fan of that. But I like Punch Up At a Wedding and There There, and 2+2=5. There's always at least one or two songs from each Radiohead album I love, it's just that there were more that were to my taste on OK Computer and The Bends.
    yeah, let down is one of my "orgasm songs" inasmuch as theres a notable musical climax where all facets crash together to create bliss. i always always always almost suffocate myself trying to hold the note thom does when he goes onto the "floor collapsing" bit.

i used to dislike the gloaming but its totally grown on me, the worst radiohead song by some distance tho is treefingers. awful stuff.

you listed a few songs from httt there, thats an album i always felt was given a harsh review, its got some absolutely brilliant songs on it.
  • Physically_Insane 20 Aug 2009 15:44:26 8,864 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fucking love HttT. 2+2=5, Go to Sleep, There There, Punch Drunk at a Wedding, Myxomatosis, A Wolf at the Door. Brilliant.
  • WoodenSpoon 20 Aug 2009 16:34:28 12,285 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why doesn't spuds just say they're pretentious wankers?
  • dufftownallan 20 Aug 2009 16:40:00 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spuds doesnt like ANYTHING. for proof go to the inglorious basterds thread
  • RedSparrows 20 Aug 2009 19:14:04 22,735 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love later Radiohead. I like early a lot too, but I have to say that over the years, the early stuff has sounded increasingly dull to me, including The Bends, an album I once considered almost untouchable. Still listen to it everynow and them, nps. There There is just infinitely superior to something like Bones, no matter how good Bones is. IMO OBVS IMO.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 19:21:11
    dufftownallan wrote:

I have a big problem with over-rated stuff.
  • QotSAfan 20 Aug 2009 19:26:12 1,699 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:

Not a Beatles fan then?
  • Deleted user 20 August 2009 19:31:56
    QotSAfan wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:

Not a Beatles fan then?

Not my kind of thing.
  • Raiko101 21 Aug 2009 00:50:03 6,312 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to say, I much prefer new Radiohead to old. I find The Bends to half decent and half filler. That and the good stuff can be overplayed so easily. It takes a longer time to really appreciate albums like Kid A, but when you do you never grow tired of them.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 21 August 2009 00:51:13
    Please be a mod.
  • RedSparrows 21 Aug 2009 01:02:22 22,735 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cuttooth = love
  • dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 09:50:19 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    over-rated by whose standards?
  • GuiltySpark 21 Aug 2009 09:52:15 6,387 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    over-rated by whose standards?

His, I'm guessing.

Get bent.

• dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 10:07:02 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    do we all have to measure our own tastes by his standards now then...?
  • GuiltySpark 21 Aug 2009 10:25:22 6,387 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. But when someone says "Band X are overrated." then it's obviously their opinion and their standards isn't it?

Not everyone wants to go IMHO after everything they post.

Get bent.

• funkyd 21 Aug 2009 10:27:18 7,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Not everyone wants to go IMHO after everything they post.

That's just your opinion though.
  • dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 10:31:45 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol@funky

i'm all for anyone offering constructive criticism on anything, but there is absolutely no point whatsoever in someone coming into thread and saying " are/is over-rated and i don't like ."

well whoopdifuckingdoo mr opinion, i've changed my attitude now, i'll start pouring my energies into hating as well when i could be off enjoying s i DO actually like.
  • GuiltySpark 21 Aug 2009 10:33:40 6,387 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Must admit, if I don't like something, then that mild dislike is multiplied tenfold when the gushing masses are involved. Take Twilight for a non musical example (because I can't think of a band right now).

Get bent.

• dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 10:43:46 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    but then you can attack the cult of twilight, you can talk about how someone has appropriated vampiric values in literature and applied it to fucking teenagers so soppy you feel like telling them to mtfu and start killing people. there is a cult of vampires that has been misused in the way that 'busted' came out and was labelled a "guitar band" when they were obviously just a boy-band with a couple of instruments draped over them. it is an insult to everything that went before and cheapens the entire medium by trying to appeal to as broad a demographic as possible. there is a REASON why you despair at the gushing masses.

you can argue against all that. you can't argue against "twilight was boring and i didnt like it".
  • GuiltySpark 21 Aug 2009 11:02:35 6,387 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My real point was that Twilight and Radiohead are exactly the same.

Exactly the same.

Get bent.

• dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 11:06:01 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    how VERY dare you sir!
  • cubbymoore 21 Aug 2009 11:07:20 36,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spudsbuckley is funny. He's like Jesus: no-one understands him, but come a few thousand years some mental people will take his word as gospel.
  • dufftownallan 21 Aug 2009 11:11:35 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ok, going to rise to the bait:

radiohead obsessives: informed and educated about music for the most part although admittedly some can be elitist and over-zealous with it.
    twilight obsessives: obsessive about what exactly apart from the ip? i doubt that the large percentage of them had anything but a passing interest in vampires and are more drawn to the relationship and high school aspects of the books/films?
  • Page

of 29 First / Last