New Radiohead Songs (2009+) Page 29

• Page

of 29 First / Last

Next
  • M83J01P97 13 Jul 2014 22:49:31 6,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah King of Limbs produced some better live tunes, the studio album just falls flat in comparison.

They have been recording on and off ever since KoL came out... So I'm hoping September will just be the start of the final phase and we will see some kind of release in the first half of 2015
  • FrostPan 14 Jul 2014 00:02:44 244 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Ok Computer and Kid A are kind of equal for me.

Ok is hugely important to me as it came out at a time when I was pretty disillusioned with life in general after moving from London to live in a small country town where I knew no one, didn't like the people I had sort of fallen in with at my new college and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.

It's one of those rare perfect albums where each track is unique in it's own right and there is no filler tracks on the album. Each track feels necessary and important in the grand scheme of the album, and at the time, that really spoke to me. Still to this day if I'm feeling a bit bleak or pissed off with the world I can stick on Ok Computer and just feel this connection to it and it's message.

Kid A is just a masterpiece of music that perfectly reflects a band being pulled apart and slowly rebuilding themselves as something they want to be, rather than what their army of fans and the music industry wanted them to be. Again, it's a perfect album which flows from one track to the next perfectly, and as much as everyone calls it experimental, I don't really think it is. It just is what it is, a dark follow on to the pessimistic view of our world that Ok Computer was, where Yorke and Co. come to the conclusion that our world is always going to be messed up regardless of what you do, so you might as well just let the madness swallow you.
    Great read. Nice to hear albums that have a personal attachment to people in regards to their life circumstances at the time, especially the likes of Kid A and especially OK Computer. OK Computer is my second favourite, but they are a few tracks that I loved that on that album I listened to during bad times back then.
  • Bremenacht 14 Jul 2014 00:36:11 19,259 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was spending a lot of time on the motorway when Ok Computer came out, and it made driving a much more enjoyable experience. I did not get to a point of being bored of listening to it, even when I had it on three times in a row.

Hollering along to Subterranean Homesick Alien and Karma Police really helped the miles go by.

Easily my favourite album by anyone, ever.
  • M83J01P97 14 Jul 2014 07:53:24 6,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK Computer is also one of the most spectacularly produced albums ever. There are so many levels to the music in each song and subtle production ideas that help reinforce how epic the whole album is.

The one which comes to mind for me is the final two minutes of Let Down, where Yorke is signing two different verses, one in the left stereo, the other in the right, and then as he reaches the chorus both voices merge together effortlessly.

There are wonderful little things like that in each track. And don't get me started on the wonderful artwork...
  • JiveHound 14 Jul 2014 08:58:19 2,641 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The way Karma Police lifts at the 'For A Minute There...' is spectacular.

Kid A is my favourite Radiohead album and my first. I will definitely agree that KOL comes alive live but for me it's not as satisfying to listen to as their other albums. I appreciate the songs on a technical level but the album just feels a bit piecemeal as a whole.

Excited about a new album as always though.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Physically_Insane 14 Jul 2014 09:30:50 9,104 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kid A and In Rainbows are tied for me. Both completely different, but both are iconic albums that will hopefully live on for a long time.
  • ubergine 14 Jul 2014 09:31:52 2,669 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New album coming is there?

The Bends is my favourite. I'm pretty sure I own all their albums, havent given The King ofnLimbs enough time yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Physically_Insane 14 Jul 2014 09:33:10 9,104 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KOL is okay. You've got to be in the right mood for it.
  • M83J01P97 14 Jul 2014 09:59:17 6,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of the remixes that Yorke commissioned various electronic artists to do for KoL tracks were also more interesting than the original album version and some of them sounded like they should have been made by Radiohead as well.

It just felt like a very lacklustre album from them. Which is a shame considering how long we have to wait now a days for new material from them.
  • evild_edd 14 Jul 2014 10:13:36 3,168 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TBF, we've always had to wait for Radiohead albums. Nothing new in that.

Hopefully KoL will prove to be a low point and spark something different with the next. I thought they were moving in a(nother) new direction with In Rainbows, but KoL felt a regression to the Kid A-Amnesiac-HTTT era. Whilst I love Kid A and enjoy the others, I'd welcome something a little different with their next...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Widge Moderator 14 Jul 2014 11:05:32 13,727 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get a feeling that Radiohead will go in tandem with what sort of sound is vogue in the electronic world. With Kid A, it was all IDM. King Of Limbs took its cue from bass, UK funky and the Flying Lotus sound (kind of compounded with Flying Lotus touring with Yorke).

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Ka-blamo 26 Sep 2014 17:16:25 7,594 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    new Thom Yorke Album $6
  • RedSparrows 26 Sep 2014 20:23:33 23,854 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New Tommy Y is pretty... Tommy Y. Fine by me.

Sorry, Thommy.

Would love a new Radiohead album.
  • Rhaegyr 26 Sep 2014 20:26:55 2,666 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Same, as long as it's not as dull as KoL. How could they create that after the excellent In Rainbows? Johnny Greenwood needs to pick up a guitar and melt my face off.
  • RedSparrows 26 Sep 2014 20:30:56 23,854 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hah, when's he ever done that? Not even in the early days.

As ever: KoL wasn't the best, but live some of those songs are superlative. I absolutely adore Bloom.
  • PES_Fanboy 26 Sep 2014 20:51:00 18,260 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thom spells his name really thwattishly.
  • Raiko101 27 Sep 2014 14:35:31 6,568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The new single is growing on me already. Not instantly amazing, but i'm liking the noises. Would love to hear how he plans to perform it live.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Rhaegyr 27 Sep 2014 14:59:43 2,666 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RedSparrows

Eh? He did it occasionally (Paranoid Android, The Bends, My Iron Lung, Just) and those songs were all the better for it. Unless that was Ed?

Saw them perform some of the KoL songs live and I still couldn't get on with it - apart from Codex and possibly Separator it's totally throwaway. For me, the first half of that album is the worst stretch they've ever had (save maybe Pablo Honey).
  • riz23 27 Sep 2014 15:03:44 1,422 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey, let's not forget Philip Selway has a new album out next week too. Seems very similar to the last one, which is no bad thing in my book.

Edited by riz23 at 15:04:41 27-09-2014
  • Trafford 27 Sep 2014 18:02:45 5,926 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Eh?

KoL For me, the first half of that album is the worst stretch they've ever had (save maybe Pablo Honey).
    You are having a laugh ; )

Article in the paper the other day suggests movement soon. *

*guardianonline
  • Rhaegyr 27 Sep 2014 18:08:13 2,666 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Honestly - can't think of a poorer run. What do you think's worse?
  • RedSparrows 27 Sep 2014 18:29:58 23,854 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pablo Honey is way worse. Not just saying that as a 'cuh, guitar Radiohead? Urgh' wanker, I love the Bends and OK.

Give up the Ghost and Codex are exquisite, and Bloom is a kaleidoscope of everything. Three belters. The rest vary for me, but still good.

As for 'melting my face', you're right, I guess - they did pull out some pretty good guitar from time to time, but I suppose I've never thought of them as that kind of band - not like, say, Rage. The guitar was always part of the song, not some entity sent down to dominate it. That and they've moved away from that a lot, although HTTF of course had 2+2, etc.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Sep 2014 18:44:54 2,666 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Face melter was definitely the wrong term - I just like an old-fashioned guitar freakout. Greenwood is such a good guitarist it pains me to see him on the keyboards/something electronic most of the time.

Thought they struck the perfect balance with old/new on In Rainbows and then KoL dropped and showed they'd moved back to the 'electronic' extreme. Don't have a problem with this (Kid A is my favourite album of theirs) but the quality just wasn't there for me. Seemed like they were following the current trend instead of forging it.

Pablo is indeed the worse but I thought we didn't count that one? :D
  • Physically_Insane 27 Sep 2014 18:48:34 9,104 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is how it goes:

In Rainbows > Kid A > OK Computer > Amnesiac > HTTF > KOL > The Bends > Pablo Honey
  • Rhaegyr 27 Sep 2014 19:02:29 2,666 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Bends needs moving about three places to the left.

Top 3 matches up with mine, albeit in the wrong order.
  • Raiko101 2 Oct 2014 21:30:04 6,568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In Rainbows is their crowning glory. Even the bonus (disc) is amazing. If they'd held onto that and glued on the final four tracks from TKOL they've had very nearly equalled it.

Edited by Raiko101 at 04:38:08 05-10-2014

• PES_Fanboy 2 Oct 2014 21:40:20 18,260 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nigel Godrich doesn't get anywhere near The credit he deserves
  • RedSparrows 2 Oct 2014 22:36:53 23,854 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In Rainbows bonus disc was grand, aye.
  • Trafford 2 Oct 2014 23:05:25 5,926 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I had the In Rainbows bonus disc still. I had the deluxe box set, but sold it for a ton before xmas that year. The disk rip I made of the bonus album is long gone : (
  • Raiko101 5 Oct 2014 04:38:53 6,568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can buy a digital version of the bonus disc from their website. It's about 6 I think. Well worth it.

• Page

of 29 First / Last

Next