The Walking Dead - TV series (US pace) Page 85

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• GuiltySpark 26 Oct 2013 19:35:51 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only reason the comics kept getting mentioned was because the of Governor arc, which was not at all good, kept making strange and boring choices away from the source material, a change that was not for the better. It's a fair point that this is not the comic, and it shouldn't be the comic. It also shouldn't be worse than the comic.

I'm sorry dude but compared to other shows that are deemed good, The Walking Dead seriously has some quality and consistency issues. Though saying that, I have absolutely no criticisms about Series 4, it's pretty good so far.

The reason this thread is here is for criticism, good or bad, and it deserves both.

Get bent.

• Mr-Brett 26 Oct 2013 19:51:04 12,894 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I totally agree, the show is far from perfect and I don't think diverging from the comics is a valid complaint. It's a separate thing and should be judged entirely by itself, which is where I'm not sure about:
    It's a fair point that this is not the comic, and it shouldn't be the comic. It also shouldn't be worse than the comic.
    Any comparison as a criticism of the show itself is surely irrelevant.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Gambit1977 26 Oct 2013 19:52:19 10,384 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So this spin off show next year, just more of the same in a slightly different place, or are they going to do weird crossovers and stuff?
  • GuiltySpark 26 Oct 2013 19:59:40 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Any comparison as a criticism of the show itself is surely irrelevant.
    I wouldn't go that far. If you have source material (be it a book, play, an older film, a comic etc) then it is by no means necessary that you have to stay absolutely true to it. But if you are picking and choosing parts, like The Walking Dead does, then for the stuff you change, you can't make it worse. You can't make it not pay off. Series 3 essentially followed the storyline of the comic, and then cut out the pay off. It was an awful decision.

Get bent.

• Mr-Brett 26 Oct 2013 21:06:47 12,894 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe so but the problem with the show then is that the season had no pay off, not that the corresponding comic story arc had a pay off. If the story arc in the comics has sucked the show would be criticised if it did follow it.

• aziztopcu 26 Oct 2013 23:19:14 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    hello
  • GuiltySpark 27 Oct 2013 02:13:06 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Maybe so but the problem with the show then is that the season had no pay off, not that the corresponding comic story arc had a pay off. If the story arc in the comics has sucked the show would be criticised if it did follow it.
    Yeah but the point is the Governor arc was introduced in the comics with the 'payoff' in mind. It doesn't work without it. So don't follow it unless you either do it properly or you have something g better in mind.

There's no point talking about the show in its own little bubble when it's problems arise out of wishy washy text translation from comic to tv.

A problem is a problem, you may aswell talk about the source of the problem if you're aware of it, it's strange not to, except for spoilers (like the game of thrones thread).

Get bent.

• AcidSnake 27 Oct 2013 02:43:21 7,297 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm OK with the governor story arc in the show actually... the good thing about it is that it makes the whole thing unpredictable...

Not having set rules is better for the show I think... This way you never know who's at risk of dying... They could even kill off Rick in the show...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• GuiltySpark 27 Oct 2013 04:08:42 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the show is more predictable about people dying to be honest. I've guessed three deaths (hillbilly guy, black guy that wasn't t dog and Tyreese's bird), it's fairly predictable if you know what to look for. They're stuck to weird TV show rules which is at odds with the theme of the show. Rick won't die, neither will Daryl unless they need to write the actor out of the show.

But that's just TV in general really, a lot less flexibility than comics for obvious reasons.

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 27 Oct 2013 04:16:03 8,267 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rick and Carl are probably safe, and probably Daryl. Not sure about anyone else.
  • Scurrminator 27 Oct 2013 06:42:40 8,465 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the show doesn't want to be compared to the comic it should stop doing shit versions of the comic arcs.
    You can't say it's its own thing and don't compare when that's the source material. It openly invites the comparisons.
    You can see why show runners leave. The whole governer arc from last year reeks of studio intervention. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to stick more closely but the budget doesn't allow it/studio doesn't.
    I don't see Game of Thrones suffer from this. Most book readers compare it favourably to the source material.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Tonka 27 Oct 2013 07:01:44 21,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I for one found the Governor story really shit in the comic. Especially how it ended.

Him in general was a low point come to think of it. I guess that makes the rv shows shortcomings easier to bear. I don't see the sun shining out of the comics ass.

It's a decent zombie apocalypse with some heavy rinse repeat elements.

Edited by Tonka at 08:57:32 27-10-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 27 Oct 2013 07:14:29 8,267 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Might want to spoiler that first paragraph. It probably won't be relevant to the TV show, but you never know!
  • GuiltySpark 27 Oct 2013 07:15:57 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope you don't think I'm championing the comics, I'm not (though I do like them). I think the show finds it hard to commit 100% to its own storylines.

To be honest, it's just the majority of S3 that I had a problem with. Some crazy decisions were made, I just find it mental that no one thought "I'm sure there's a better way we can do this."

Oh well, that's enough moaning I reckon, hopefully this season can keep the quality up, because the potential on this show is sky high.

Get bent.

• The-Bodybuilder 27 Oct 2013 21:41:31 14,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think what the majority of us can agree to is that so far, S4 is getting unnecessarily and harshly criticised for what has been a pretty decent start so far.
  • mrpon 27 Oct 2013 21:50:45 29,562 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    They just need to take a leaf out of the crazy guy they met a while back, he had that whole area locked down, traps everywhere.
    Totally. I mean, they have those spiky things near the gate. Why not install them around the perimeter fence?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Mr-Brett 27 Oct 2013 21:54:01 12,894 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Yeah but the point is the Governor arc was introduced in the comics with the 'payoff' in mind. It doesn't work without it. So don't follow it unless you either do it properly or you have something g better in mind.

There's no point talking about the show in its own little bubble when it's problems arise out of wishy washy text translation from comic to tv.

A problem is a problem, you may aswell talk about the source of the problem if you're aware of it, it's strange not to, except for spoilers (like the game of thrones thread).
    Fair points, I think we're about to head around in circles so I'll leave it at that :)

• The-Bodybuilder 27 Oct 2013 22:08:26 14,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    They just need to take a leaf out of the crazy guy they met a while back, he had that whole area locked down, traps everywhere.
    Totally. I mean, they have those spiky things near the gate. Why not install them around the perimeter fence?
    Tbh, at it's core the problem is that they are an obvious central location with a host of people trying to build a community.
    No matter what they do, sooner or later, they will be swarmed by zombies attacked to the activity there. They will never be able to keep it at bay.

The crazy dude is just one man surviving in a fortified small town.
  • oceanmotion 27 Oct 2013 22:12:43 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 28 Oct 2013 07:11:40 21,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I hope you don't think I'm championing the comics, I'm not (though I do like them). I think the show finds it hard to commit 100% to its own storylines.
    I hope I don't sound as if I hate the comic. I've been reading it for years now and I truly enjoy it. But it sure isn't Breaking Bad.

TBH I think that if the TV series had Breaking Bad levels of acting/characterisation it would be unbearable to watch. There has been a few occasions where I found it really grim as it is Sophia walking out of the barn, What happened to Lori.

I'm more than happy to see episodes like the first two of this season or the one with Mr Mad in his town. Or the one whee they met some other people in a bar.

I've resigned to the fact that this is ultimately a comic book series. And the fact that the comics aren't anything but just comics help.

Really looking forward to Ep 3

• GuiltySpark 28 Oct 2013 07:55:08 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, episode three was also pretty cracking guys. If it can keep this standard up then I'm gonna be thoroughly impressed.

Get bent.

• Darren 28 Oct 2013 10:28:47 9,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I enjoyed episode 3 a lot.

My only quibble is how on earth you-know-who managed to get away from the walkers at the end when they were completely overwhelmed and surrounded. That scene and the earlier one with Hershel and Carl made me realise just how unthreatening the walkers have become unless in large numbers. I just watched World War Z yesterday and that had genuinely scary zombies that lept about and moved at great speeds. Imagine if Rick and co. had to contend with those?

Edited by Darren at 10:29:33 28-10-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• GuiltySpark 28 Oct 2013 10:58:10 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, once again it's definitely comic book logic at play, and that part was not exactly as satisfying as it could have been, as it felt more of a cop out than a true show of his badassery.

Even so, keep low and run, kind of like the roadie run from Gears, and you should be fine.

Get bent.

• Whizzo 28 Oct 2013 11:14:26 43,352 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darren wrote:I just watched World War Z yesterday and that had genuinely scary zombies that lept about and moved at great speeds. Imagine if Rick and co. had to contend with those?
    And that's precisely why the movie should never have been called World War Z.

The movie monsters (they're not really very zombie like) are pretty much unstoppable without narrative help and being Brad Pitt.

Classic Romero zombies aren't supposed to be that much of a threat unless you get over-confident or cock up, the biggest threat is always other humans.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Mola_Ram 28 Oct 2013 12:05:41 8,267 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm still a bit flummoxed at the new survivability of African American characters. There's 3 of them, in a small group, and NONE OF THEM DIE. I guess it's just Daryl and Michionne's awesomeness rubbing off on them.

And Carol's ruthlessness seems to have come out of nowhere. Yeah, she had the whole talk about knives earlier, but there wasn't really much inkling of this attitude in earlier seasons.

Just nitpicking, though. That was another decent episode! Still early days yet, but I am starting to have hope for this season!
  • MrFlay 28 Oct 2013 21:40:39 1,024 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That swarm/horde was huge. I wonder if it will have any further impact on the story.
  • Tonka 29 Oct 2013 12:18:12 21,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another solid episode. Yes, you are right that it's comic book levels of logic. Especially when they rehash comic book events in new settings Tyress being outside a car instead of in a gymnasium

My wife was just complaining about how the original crew are always such goodie two shoes and never do anything bad. Then the final scene rolled around and that was that.

Will be very interesting to see how they handle that.

Is this show on in the UK btw? For some reason I believe you guys got it with about 7 days delay so I feel that I have to spoiler quote things even though it's a US PACE thread.

• GuiltySpark 29 Oct 2013 13:19:50 6,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    That swarm/horde was huge. I wonder if it will have any further impact on the story.
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not! I can imagine we'll be seeing them again in a few episodes time, depending on how far away they are (was fairly far I think). I didn't even realise at the time but this means no medication. I can't see Hershel's super potion alone reviving Glenn to be honest.

Get bent.

• Page

of 116 First / Last