The Walking Dead - TV series (US pace) Page 66

• Page

of 108 First / Last

• localnotail 28 Nov 2012 08:49:33 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Another thing I think they handled very well was how Michonne was treated by the prison gang compared to the Guv. Polar oposites.
    The Guv pretended she had freedom whilst Rick & Co. locked her up and asked her to leave.Yet she could clearly see they were a nice bunch.
    Agreed. I liked how they brought Michonne to the main group, worked well (it's slightly different to the comics. /ducks).

The Daryl / Merle standoff can only end one way IMO (Daryl kills Merle.)
    I did like the experiment, and the Guv's reaction to the news that his little zombie poppet is just a pet monster.

Glenn was awesome, nice to see gaffa tape is zombie-proof

Edited by localnotail at 08:52:39 28-11-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Tonka 28 Nov 2012 09:19:07 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, it's the confidence they all have this season. I wonder if they did one hell of a team building gig or something. It's like Firefly at times. The group dynamic feels very believable.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• BinaryBob101 28 Nov 2012 16:09:10 23,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was struggling last night to think of a modern comparison in TV where the character interplay is as good as it's been this season, and you've hit the nail right on the head there Tonka. It's amazing the change in the show, they've set the bar pretty high though now I just hope it continues after the break.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• The-Bodybuilder 1 Dec 2012 01:08:03 14,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flippin'eck, that episode was tense as f*ck. I don't think a tv show has had me on such an edge for the entire episode.

- Glen was awesome

- The Guv (well played Morrisey) was creepy as heck. That whole scene was tense.

- Lauren Hill's intro to the group was pretty cool.

- But the clear build up between Merle and Daryl is proving to be one epic solid vs liquid-esque showdown.
  • oceanmotion 1 Dec 2012 14:53:39 16,008 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Echoing everything said in above posts.

What a great series, think I might die and go to heaven if it gets better. Truly superb. Loving the characters more than ever.
  • MistaGav 3 Dec 2012 12:39:25 90 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was an awesome mid-season finale, much much better then the previous season already! Also one of the few episodes where I genuinely felt tense...cannot wait enough for the next half!
  • Scurrminator 3 Dec 2012 13:17:43 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That was great.
    I didn't really feel like rooting for Michonne in her fight with the Governor though. She has damn good reasons in the comic but here he didn't really do a great deal to her...but then she is a bit of a stupid character letting zombie kid off the chains!
    Great episode though and as the above has said far better than the shitty season 2 mid season break.
    Although I found it hilarious that everyone who said Oscar would be bumped off as soon as Tyrese came along were right. Can only have one token on the Walking Dead!!!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• TOOTR 3 Dec 2012 18:00:05 9,603 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That episode was pure entertainment.

Just.simply.phenomenal.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• The-Bodybuilder 3 Dec 2012 19:40:26 14,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Scurrminator Didn't do much to her? You mean other than send his henchmen to kill her?

Fantastic episode. And the 2nd half is looking just as epic.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 19:42:53 03-12-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Dec 2012 19:42:33 14,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And yes, the token thing is completely ridiculous. Funny as heck, but ridiculous.

I am glad the preview of the 2nd half did spoil the fact that Daryl survives.

Oh, and thumbs up to Carl. He's now new Rick jnr proper (not the old goody goody Rick).
  • Scurrminator 3 Dec 2012 22:46:12 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @Scurrminator Didn't do much to her? You mean other than send his henchmen to kill her?

Fantastic episode. And the 2nd half is looking just as epic.
    That's not a lot really though. Why splinter off from the group just for that. I'm not going into it as its not the comic thread but in that story she had a LOT more invested in doing bad things to him. TV show Michonne is very stupid.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• localnotail 3 Dec 2012 23:12:49 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TYRESE! \o/ Also yes, psml over the tokenism. Shocking really.

Nice to see the smoke grenades came in handy for something.

Not sure what fate awaits Merle (didn't watch the preview). Nice bit of Rick disintegration there though.

Edited by localnotail at 23:13:29 03-12-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• monkehhh 3 Dec 2012 23:16:06 3,426 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dennis from The Wire \o/
  • kinky_mong 3 Dec 2012 23:30:08 10,465 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Dennis from The Wire \o/
    And Coach from Left 4 Dead 2, so he has previous experience.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 00:05:23 6,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No one else feel that the shootout was fairly underwhelming? It was certainly no Heat, put it that way.

Get bent.

• TOOTR 4 Dec 2012 02:49:51 9,603 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    No one else feel that the shootout was fairly underwhelming? It was certainly no Heat, put it that way.
    A tad unfair trying to hold up a TV show against Heat mate.

I thought it was pretty good - the guns sounded hefty, the smoke, the determination, the tokenism...

A 10/10 ep for me.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• The-Bodybuilder 4 Dec 2012 05:39:37 14,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There can only be one...token black man.
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 06:08:13 10,202 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're gonna spam at least spell Darryl correctly.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2012 06:32:05 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can only echo what everyone else is saying. I find it embarrassing that they couldn't have two strong black males in the group. Let's see if they manage to keep two strong black females...

As for the "Michonne had no reason" I was thinking the same thing. But she is borderline and the Governmomer did send his henchmen after her head.

I especially liked how Andrea plays into all this. That she didn't turn on Guvenonenr on the spot like she would have in a lesser show. Because what he said did work in some weird twisted way. And you can't blame him for keeping his daughter around.

Roll on February!

• GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 07:05:37 6,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I absolutely hate Andrea. I've seen the actress in The Mist (which was also Darabont, I think) and she is absolutely fucking useless. Literally the only good thing she has done is that shot of her arse from behind, and I'm surprised she didn't fuck that up.

Also, there's something about this show that just doesn't feel right. I don't know if it is bad acting or bad direction but there's just something amiss. It's hard to explain but it doesn't seem to have any (pretentious alert) soul compared to something like Lost or Breaking Bad. It sometimes feels like new Dexter levels of just scraping the surface level. The material they have to work with is top notch, yet they somehow seem to fluff it up when it's capable of hitting new heights.

Also noticed that this episode was written by Kirkman, was it his choice to introduce Tyreese I wonder?

Get bent.

• Tonka 4 Dec 2012 07:14:38 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I missed the writing credit. I wonder how "free" they are to do stuff though. Doesn't people say that Darabont createdT-Dog? If so it feels like this could be a good source for gossip.

As for the lack of soul I strongly disagree. This episode was more action oriented than the previous though and the "Your brother did this to us" scene was weak. Otherthan that I think they go for more than just surface.

I gave up on LOST mid season two so i might have missed something there and I've yet to see Breaking Bad. But as I've said I really feel for most of the characters in TWD. Every show now I think "No no no, no more deaths. OK, take the newbies and maybe Andrea but leave the rest of them alone".

It will be interesting to see hoe they handle the reunion of the brothers.

• homelessbaby 4 Dec 2012 07:27:55 27 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol I definitely agree that this show lacks a soul. They tried last season to do a slow-burner and make it about the characters and the response was terrible. So instead of giving anyone any depth (which Lost and Breaking Bad have in spades) they just made Season 3 entirely action.

People talk less because when they do it's stupid and motivated by plot and not character. Why has Michonne still not told the group her name? Why is she going out of her way to hurt the Governor as though the zombie apocalypse and people trying to kill you is personal? Why did Glenn let Merle get so close when they had him at gunpoint? Why is Glenn a coward in one scene and a badass the next? Why would Rick leave the prison protected by women, children and a guy he barely knows? Why is everything this season so rushed? On a show that had a better handle on characters we could have had a Ben Linus type episode with Michonne, maybe learned something about her other than she doesn't enjoy talking or blinking. Maybe we could have seen Daryl dealing with leaving the group to find Merle (I'm certain they'll escape and that whole ordeal will be forgotten as they deal with whatever the new problem is).

People criticize Lost, but for all its missteps it never lost its sense of character. Pretty much anyone on The Walking Dead could die at this point and I would lose no investment because the show isn't even invested in them. What's the point of a zombie show without compelling characters? Apart from the bipolar way they wrote him as sympathetic or deranged depending on the episode, I loved Shane last season. I still think the episode where him and Rick hash things out is the best since the pilot. And then they killed him and decided they weren't gonna try anymore.

I look forward to see Tyreese's charisma battle the quality of this show. It could be SO MUCH BETTER, and that's why I still watch.

Edited by homelessbaby at 07:29:44 04-12-2012

Edited by homelessbaby at 07:39:31 04-12-2012
  • GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 08:14:58 6,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well it's as simple as plot over character.

It comes down to this, can you describe Glenn in three words without one of them being "Chinese"? Would I be able to identify that character from your three words? It's doubtful, and Glenn has been there from the start.

You can't say the same about Breaking Bad or Lost.

Though for all my bitching, I still love the show. I don't care if something is shit, I just don't watch it. I care about wasted potential.

(I'm just using BB and Lost as examples, they're the first things that come to mind)

Edited by GuiltySpark at 08:20:40 04-12-2012

Get bent.

• Scimarad 4 Dec 2012 08:36:17 8,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Honestly, I'd find it hard to describe any character in three words and they recognise them from it. Aside from "Dresses Like Bat" or something...
  • GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 08:42:12 6,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the parameters of the show, what sets Glenn apart? What sets the farm girl apart? What about Andrea?

They're not really anything.

Get bent.

• Tonka 4 Dec 2012 08:49:02 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't agree with the criticism. Maybe it's because I've read the comics so my take on the TV series is different from someone who hasn't.

I'm not saying there aren't the usual short cuts and silly decisions in TWD as in many other TV shows. (Why not kill Merle indeed? Because they are friends with his brother? Because it's someone they "know"?) But I think a character like the Mayo is well fleshed out. He's definitely not the comic book villain he was in the ... errr ... comic.

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 08:49:17 10,202 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So what you're saying is this show needs more comedy fat people?
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2012 08:51:12 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuiltySpark Glenn is youthful and likes taking risks.
    The farmgirl is naive and "christian" (also the love interest of Carl)
    Andrea is not drinking the Kool Aid of the group (and she never has)

• GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 08:52:21 6,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I don't agree with the criticism. Maybe it's because I've read the comics so my take on the TV series is different from someone who hasn't.

I'm not saying there aren't the usual short cuts and silly decisions in TWD as in many other TV shows. (Why not kill Merle indeed? Because they are friends with his brother? Because it's someone they "know"?) But I think a character like the Mayo is well fleshed out. He's definitely not the comic book villain he was in the ... errr ... comic.
    Nah I'm up to date on the comics too.

I do not know what a Mayo is.

Get bent.

• Page

of 108 First / Last