Epic Mickey

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ecu 2 Aug 2009 02:53:09 77,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Um, wow. Concept art doesn't normally do anything for me, but I really hope this game goes in to full production.
  • daz_john_smith 2 Aug 2009 03:05:16 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that does look kinda special.

It's a little like what I'd imagine a Hayao Miyazaki version on Mikey to look like
  • daz_john_smith 2 Aug 2009 10:48:17 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not having a go at the Wii, but I can't help but feel that based on the concept art those ideas would have been better realised on more powerful platforms with the resources to do that artwork justice.

Based on the Wii majority audience I can't help but feel this will get watered down by the time it's released.
  • Ged42 2 Aug 2009 13:02:43 7,812 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That does look really cool, though are you sure it's not just someones uni project?
  • Kami 2 Aug 2009 14:33:13 2,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    I'm not having a go at the Wii, but I can't help but feel that based on the concept art those ideas would have been better realised on more powerful platforms with the resources to do that artwork justice.

Why not? The point most people are missing is the PS2 had just as much shovelware, but as it was like the Wii is now - cheap and easy to develop for with mass market penetration - you saw excellent risk-taking titles like Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico etc.

Yes, okay, people haven't been able to get past the Wii Remote, but that's their tough shit, there's several excellent examples of how to use it well enough on the system. Nintendo has provided, it just needs smart people to work out better ways of implementing it (common sense not always a strong suit of developers...).

This does indeed look fantastic and I look forward to seeing it in action, Steampunk Mickey? Ooh, yes please, I'd rather like my childhood heroes to grow up with me thanks.

*looks at Sonic* You can fuck right off though.

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• GrandpaUlrira 2 Aug 2009 14:46:09 3,752 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With Warren Spector as the driving force behind the game it has the potential to be very interesting indeed. It's good to see titles that don't necessarily have an obvious target group in mind, and simply looks cool, at least from a conceptual point-of-view.
  • Super_Zee 2 Aug 2009 15:53:28 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can see Disney getting cold feet about this if the game is as dark as the fantastic concept art. After all, they've spent decades setting themselves up with a certain image, and it's a brave move indeed to authorise something like this.

Also, I'd much prefer it to be PS3/360, not just because I hate motion control in games, but also because HD would really show off the art direction.
  • heyyo 2 Aug 2009 15:58:22 14,369 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wow, love it darlings.
  • sargulesh 2 Aug 2009 16:04:31 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pretty sure this was cancelled?
  • M83J01P97 2 Aug 2009 16:12:57 6,720 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aww what have they done to the Epcot Center!

That looks very interesting, but not very Disney at all... which can only be a good thing.
  • daz_john_smith 2 Aug 2009 16:30:29 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    daz_john_smith wrote:

Why not? The point most people are missing is the PS2 had just as much shovelware, but as it was like the Wii is now - cheap and easy to develop for with mass market penetration - you saw excellent risk-taking titles like Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico etc.

Yes, okay, people haven't been able to get past the Wii Remote, but that's their tough shit, there's several excellent examples of how to use it well enough on the system. Nintendo has provided, it just needs smart people to work out better ways of implementing it (common sense not always a strong suit of developers...).

This does indeed look fantastic and I look forward to seeing it in action, Steampunk Mickey? Ooh, yes please, I'd rather like my childhood heroes to grow up with me thanks.

My opinion was purely from a graphical point of view. I'd really liked to see that concept art truly conceptualised in the final game and be as close to those images as possible. I think that would be a lot more difficult to accomplish on the Wii.

I'd love to see how Spector approaches using the Wiimote though.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Aug 2009 16:41:55 20,647 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This isn't what got taken into development unfortunatly. They kept the losing colour concept but stopped it being the old cartoons going evil :(

would have been wasted on the wii anyway tbh
  • sargulesh 2 Aug 2009 16:50:52 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • LetsGo 2 Aug 2009 17:38:19 5,457 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    daz_john_smith wrote:

I do have to agree with Daz.

It *looks* amazing but lets be honest, if its on the Wii it wont look amazing, the art style may look amazing but the graphics wont look nice....

The game would be epic on a next gen machine, not too sure on the Wii.
  • sargulesh 2 Aug 2009 17:45:39 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
  • Kami 2 Aug 2009 17:55:12 2,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But of course, nothing on the PS2 looked epic did it? Nothing on the Wii looks as good as any other big-end title... hmm.

Let's be honest here, the only people who know whether such a strange and wonderful piece of design is possible on the Wii are surely the designers and developers of the game? If they're happy with it on Wii, and can get a quirky style going, then they know best. It's a case of trusting that they can make the most of the hardware - and they probably will and should.

I just tire of people dressing up their simple hate of the Wii with fancy clothes. Nintendo sold out. I accept that. I also hate them for it. It's a perfectly reasonable reason to wish Nintendo pain and misery. Same with Sony and the PS2 - and look at that, karmatic revenge is at hand with the PS3.

I just hate seeing the same tired old horseshit. If you're going to hate the Wii, at least be honest with yourself about the reasons. I am, I hate the Wii right now because Nintendo and everyone else know that it is capable of so much more than they've done so far. But they can't seem to be arsed with it, so why should I be?

• Kami 2 Aug 2009 17:59:26 2,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "I don't think..." I think the Wii is perfectly capable of doing it based on some of the more meaty stuff they've put out there.

The proper and valid form of that argument is, "Can they be arsed?"

• sargulesh 2 Aug 2009 17:59:32 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wait... do people really hate Nintendo now because they're perceived to have "sold out"?
  • LetsGo 2 Aug 2009 17:59:56 5,457 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not hating the Wii either, I love it. Don't play it as much as the 360 but play it more than me PS3!
    As Blizz said, the Wii wouldn't be able to do the game justice by looking at the concept art.

Plus if it's a 'grown up' micky game, it's on the wrong console too.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2009 18:01:24
    Kami wrote:
    But of course, nothing on the PS2 looked epic did it? Nothing on the Wii looks as good as any other big-end title... hmm.
    To be fair though, there's a hell of a lot of detail in that concept art and nothing on the PS2, Xbox or Wii has done anything like that.
  • Fizzog 2 Aug 2009 18:03:47 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    I'm not hating on the Wii, just don't think it's anywhere near powerful enough to do this justice, based on the artwork in the original post...

The PS2 (An arguably less powerful console) did a fine job with Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Aug 2009 18:24:20 20,647 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    but they have completely different art-styles. What I'm really loving about these concept arts are the minor details, the way goofy's parts are all sort of stuck together with duct tape and rope etc, no way can you pull that sort of detail off on the characters with the Wii's polygon/texture abilities, not without seriously dumbing it down.

Ico was very simple graphically, but that's where it's beauty was. Everything had a great silhouette and washed out details. You only needed to see it was a boy with horns.
  • Tonka 2 Aug 2009 18:29:06 21,363 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You guys are hilarious.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 2 August 2009 18:31:21
    It's entirely understandable that the Wii would be the console they went for from a sales perspective. There is no way to justify spending the additional money to make this look as good as you would hope for when most people would be put off by it just because it's a Disney game.

There is no way the mass market demographic of the PS3 or 360 would buy into the idea enough. At least the Wii has a lot of the market you would expect for a Disney game covered and by doing it on the Wii they have both a larger audience and reduction in development costs.

Not having the detail/depth there would put off some but I don't thing the 8-14 year old market will complain and their parents will be pretty happy to pay for this over most other games.
  • sargulesh 2 Aug 2009 18:31:49 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They could make it a 2D platformer. I'd buy back a Wii if they did.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Aug 2009 18:34:23 20,647 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kingdom Hearts sold pretty well everywhere didn't it? where as most adult orientated Nintendo games have done pretty poorly lately. Ok, fair enough, most of the wii adult games are shit (red steel, the conduit etc). But even stuff like GTA on the DS completely flopped as well.

And while the disney franchise would probably do very well, if this really was a 'disney nasty' then they could be risking a lot by releasing it on an uninformed public who might see micky on the box and think it's suitable for 8 year olds.
  • daz_john_smith 2 Aug 2009 18:40:09 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    To be fair though, there's a hell of a lot of detail in that concept art and nothing on the PS2, Xbox or Wii has done anything like that.

That's the point I was trying to make, but less eloquently.

It was all the tiny little details in the concept art that made me go wow and on Wii a lot of that minutia would have to be cut down.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous