Sam Raimi's Spartacus Page 17

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Deleted user 25 March 2012 16:25:53
    It's improved gradually after the utterly awful 4th episode but still not as good as the previous seasons.
  • Psychotext 25 Mar 2012 18:03:16 53,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The number of Romans a gladiator seems able to kill is getting a bit ridiculous. Sure, in small numbers a gladiator would wreak havoc, but there's a reason the Roman army was feared the world over... and it's like the tactics they used seem to have been completely ignored for the purposes of this show.

They could have done it just as well by showing those tactics used against them.

Anyway, nitpicking. Series definitely has some momentum now. :)
  • Syrette 25 Mar 2012 19:00:20 43,242 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    So this actually got good then? I turned it off in disgust halfway through the first episode and never returned to it.
    Are you referring to the first episode of the first season?

If you are it's definitely the worst of the lot but to be fair Spartacus never had a pilot episode or anything like that.

If you're talking about the first episode of this season that's also one of the worst, too much content to fit into not enough time.

The first episode of Gods of the Arena was excellent so I'll assume you didn't mean that.

• RobAnybody 26 Mar 2012 18:58:06 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just starting to catch up with this and based on the first two episodes it's really crap. Not even a patch on the admittedly poor first two episodes of Blood & Sand.

There's also way too much slo-mo in the fight scenes, which completely removes the flow of the action. The new characters are weak too, played by poor actors. As for the fights - besides the ridiculous slo-mo, the violance is cartoonish and unbelievable - as an example, the scrap near the end of episode 2 - Oenomaus/Doctore gets hit hard in the chest with a large sledgehammer/mallet and apparently no broken ribs. He's hit in the face with the same weapon and no broken jaw. Ridiculous, and it doesn't help with the suspension of disbelief.

And Liam whatsisname is no replacement whatsoever for Andy Whitfield.

Hope it improves ......... it's almost as if the writers haven't learned any lessons from B&S.

Edited by RobAnybody at 19:19:42 26-03-2012
  • TechnoHippy 26 Mar 2012 20:03:39 14,705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It does get better, so far anyway. It's not as good as the original and prequel, by quite some margin, but it has improved.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• RobAnybody 26 Mar 2012 21:08:51 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just watched episode 3 - definitely a bit better than eps 1 and 2. Pretty good ending too - Ashur is just as hateful as ever. :)
  • RobAnybody 28 Mar 2012 10:42:02 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Now watched up to episode 9 and am still largely disappointed.

The story-telling is pretty average, and even the main characters seem watered down. Liam McIntyre is awful. The new supporting cast are garbage - I've seen better acting from a house brick.

The dialogue is ridiculous - they've tried to make it 'archaic' by basically omitting the use of the word 'the'.

Overall it now just feels 'dumb', plus it appears to have lost its heart.

I'll watch the last episode, but it won't be a Blu-ray purchase like B&S, and I doubt very much if I'll watch the next season.
  • Syrette 28 Mar 2012 16:07:52 43,242 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like you've gone into it with very, very low expectations and I wonder if that's clouded your judgement. Especially with McIntyre. I think a lot of people are just going to constantly compare him to Whitfield and not just judge him on his own merit. Which is their prerogative.

For a start you're criticisng things like the dialogue, the supporting cast and the unrealistic violence - things that were present in the previous two seasons. The "the" thing in particular - I find it a bit bemusing that you're complaining about that.

As for the supporting cast - absolute vast majority of the cast were in Blood & Sand and Gods of the Arena. There's been what, 2-3 new Romans (Seppius, Seppia, Varinius), Tiberius (Agron's boyfriend), that ex-Roman guy who allies with the rebels, and the German rebels. None of them really have notable roles except for Tiberus and Seppia - so I'm not sure why you're attacking the supporting cast when their numbers/roles are so few/insignificant.

Don't have a problem with the acting at all myself, and I don't see why a bit of a slow-mo is a bad thing. To each their own though.

Went into this season willing to judge it as its own thing, and I'd give it at least a 7/10 so far. If anything however it does feel a bit less epic than I thought it would. If Spartacus is a trilogy of seasons (with Gods of the Arena being a spin-off) then it feels a lot like Mass Effect or Star Wars etc - the awkward season in the middle.

Edited by Syrette at 16:11:31 28-03-2012

• WrongShui 31 Mar 2012 13:03:39 6,609 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that was alright if a bit confused.

Viney fucking place that Mt Vesuvius, also lucky they have gattling catapults.
  • funkstar 31 Mar 2012 14:43:09 1,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i dunno, imo that was up there with 'kill them all' from s1
    they only had enough vines for four people remember, and it seemed like they set up a bunch of the catapults before they lit the first one

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• RobAnybody 31 Mar 2012 16:29:24 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought it was pretty shit to be honest - this season has been garbage in comparison to season 1.

Unless i hear that they've severely upped their game (and hopefully replaced Liam as Spartacus) then there's no way that I'm bothering with season 3.
  • Syrette 31 Mar 2012 16:35:59 43,242 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you've kind of already made those points ;)

• Psychotext 31 Mar 2012 18:23:39 53,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't really rate the ending. Same complaints as last time really.

Doesn't help that all but one of my favourite characters died whilst little boy Spartacus got to live.

Edited by Psychotext at 18:23:52 31-03-2012
  • Deleted user 31 March 2012 18:42:08
    Thought the finale was probably the best ep of the season, though that's not really saying much. The major negative of the episode (aside from the usual nonsense that's been in every episode) was the Naevia vs Ashur carry on. So bad.

Strangely hopeful for the third season (is it getting one?).
  • mcmothercruncher 31 Mar 2012 19:11:29 6,713 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've yet to catch up on this series and no one seems to be discussing the important stuff- how many boobs and fannies are there compared to the earlier stuff?
  • Deleted user 31 March 2012 19:16:57
    A reasonable amount I suppose. There was less and less towards the end though, and nothing in the finale.
  • Psychotext 31 Mar 2012 19:25:50 53,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, is it just me or did Crixus turn into a bit of a fatty towards the end? (at least vs his earlier days).
  • monkehhh 31 Mar 2012 20:08:12 3,292 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not a terrible season, but not amazing either. Whoever has been given control of the slow-mo button needs shooting.
  • Scurrminator 1 Apr 2012 01:56:15 8,395 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That last episode was fucking brilliant.
    Going to have to be quite a big new cast next year mind. Guess we'll be seeing Marcus Crissus(sp) then

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Genji 1 Apr 2012 11:29:25 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ASHUR NOOOOOOOOoOOOOoooooooo

;_;

Edited by Genji at 11:35:18 01-04-2012
  • Genji 1 Apr 2012 12:30:03 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, that was bloody awesome. I'd definitely be up for a third season of that.

Although I hope the quality can continue now that a good proportion of the best characters are gone. Ashur, Glabber, Lucricia. There aren't really any good villains left.
  • Blaizefm 1 Apr 2012 12:47:43 232 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Very average season. What's happened to Crixus? He's been such a girl this season!

Edited by Blaizefm at 12:47:59 01-04-2012
  • Syrette 1 Apr 2012 12:55:00 43,242 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoyed the season but like I said above, it had a vibe of being the awkward season in the middle. Wasn't as epic as I thought it would be, felt quite rushed in places.

The Lucretia twist was awesome though.

• Scurrminator 1 Apr 2012 20:53:56 8,395 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't get to use my awesome 'One-eye-maus' name for long :-(

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Errol 1 Apr 2012 22:35:42 12,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Great show but too much slow-mo. I was re-watching some of Blood and Sand and the fights in that have very litte to no slow motion at all. Not sure why they've all of a sudden opted for 95% slow mo in every fight scene.

Oh, and the season should have been 13 episodes - not 10. That would have prevented the rushed feeling.

Edited by Errol at 22:36:26 01-04-2012
  • Errol 3 Apr 2012 20:42:29 12,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nobody else watches this?
  • Psychotext 3 Apr 2012 20:44:25 53,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A fairly small group of us apparently.
  • Errol 3 Apr 2012 20:51:22 12,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Strange, since it's one of the best shows ever.
  • magicpanda 3 Apr 2012 21:02:33 13,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first 2 series are among the best TV I've ever seen.

Just finished with the this most recent series and the loss of Andy Whitfield and no more John Hannah has hit it really hard.

Still absolutely cracking TV though. Lithia does the best murder in TV bar none :D

Oh, and a special gif as requested.

http://i.minus.com/i2jSooq7jES9O.gif

I love the reaction of Crixus

Edited by magicpanda at 21:04:18 03-04-2012
  • TechnoHippy 3 Apr 2012 21:04:58 14,705 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just watched the final episode and while I would agree isn't as good as the previous two it was still a good watch, especially in the run up to the end.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Page

of 22 First / Last