Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 116

• Page

of 116 First / Last

Next
  • sega 27 Mar 2014 13:08:19 762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't call him cowardly. He goes back to the ship with Fifield, but he's the only one who freaks out. All he says is "ship good" when asked if he's coming with. Fifield is scared of the alien later on and Milburn is calm - Fifield is the cowardly lion in this.

And in the Abyss they find it hostile enough to close the door on it. Some are freaked out, others are fascinated. Absolutely the same thing.
  • askew 27 Mar 2014 13:12:59 12,029 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think planned flashback scenes were never realised.
    There was that TED thing they filmed and released in the months before the film - might be an extra on the disc, but it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2BxH-xwc9M
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Mar 2014 13:25:49 37,340 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Look! It wants to be friends!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• AcidSnake 27 Mar 2014 13:28:25 7,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sega wrote:
    I wouldn't call him cowardly. He goes back to the ship with Fifield, but he's the only one who freaks out. All he says is "ship good" when asked if he's coming with. Fifield is scared of the alien later on and Milburn is calm - Fifield is the cowardly lion in this.
    I've seen it a long time ago but doesn't the biologist lose his shit when they find the dead engineer? (honestly can't remember if it was him)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Trowel 27 Mar 2014 14:08:30 17,430 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everyone cool with them bagging the alien head, then rather than documenting and analysing it they attempt to reanimate it by plugging it into the mains?
  • spindizzy 27 Mar 2014 14:11:07 6,427 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Ask me in four years.
    Ask me this December.

*sobs*
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2014 14:22:08 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speaking of aliens, I heard on ancient aliens the other day that youre an alien, spindizzy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Latin 27 Mar 2014 14:32:04 3,593 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Everyone cool with them bagging the alien head, then rather than documenting and analysing it they attempt to reanimate it by plugging it into the mains?
    This is low down on the list of dumb fuckery...
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Mar 2014 14:48:10 37,340 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's like a feature-length Dr Pepper sci-fi movie!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• JiveHound 27 Mar 2014 14:55:02 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    If you want a starker explanation, the characters are:

1) A religious archaeologist who finds definitive proof that her faith is wrong, and chooses to ignore that.
    2) Her archaeologist boyfriend, who spends his life piecing together clues, travels further than anyone has before, finds the definitive archaeological proof as to our origins, and then gets drunk and despondant after one day.
    3) Two scientists, who are scared audience proxies right up until the big reveal, where they act totally calmly leaving the audience emotionally marooned.
    4) A pilot who alone figures out what might be going on despite doing zero exploration and having zero expertise, and his two uncharacterised crew who exist only to die.
    5) Even more sketchy soldiers, who exist even more just to die.
    6) An eye candy ice queen who is killed stupidly and arbitrarily because it is her time.
    7) A robot who is the closest the film has to an antagonist for most of the plot, and then ends up turning out to be not malevolant but simply idiotic in his misinterpretation / misjudgement of the Engineers.
    8) An old Guy Pierce who is never young.
    9) A rerun of the alien rape/birth/motherhood theme. Now with GOO!
    10) Idris is convinced by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, on her word to kill himself and his copilots mightily easy. Some might say they were suicidal. I would want some corroboration.
    11) Dragon Tattoo and Monster run away from rolling space ship instead of to the sides. Theron could have just as easily died if she had a wits about her anyway so why not show her to be anything other than a colossal fucktard?

Edited by JiveHound at 14:57:36 27-03-2014

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 27 Mar 2014 14:58:22 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They both factor into your list on reflection.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• sega 27 Mar 2014 16:51:13 762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I've seen it a long time ago but doesn't the biologist lose his shit when they find the dead engineer? (honestly can't remember if it was him)
    No he's actually pretty calm and crouches down by them both times (second time examines to determine it burst from the inside). To be fair he does get a bit agitated when told there's a "glitch" near by, but it's the rock guy who loses his shit.
  • Bremenacht 27 Mar 2014 23:55:42 17,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't believe you're claiming the absurdities of Prometheus make some sort of sense, sega. There's so much nonsense in there. Each and every character in the Abyss behaved in a well-defined (and thus predictable and plausible) way. The Noomi character was good and consistent. Even Theron was consistent. Everyone else was absurd or just fodder. Even David. He was particularly absurd.

Any film can make perfect sense if you just invent your own explanations for the rubbish. For example, Obi Wan flying out of a hole to kill Darth Maul in Ep1, then saying he has "the higher ground!" and chopping Anakins legs off or whatever in Ep3. Totally inconsistent, unless training in the use of higher ground was only provided between Ep1 and Ep3, and thus Maul just didn't know what to do at the time. There you go! Perfectly rational explanation, and the films make complete sense as a result.
  • DFawkes 28 Mar 2014 00:05:29 22,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That actually makes sense. You'll notice in Ep. 3, Jedi McGregor doesn't just swing his lightsaber around creating an ineffectual shower of sparks like Maul did, nor did he get cut in half.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• FWB 28 Mar 2014 00:29:59 43,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suspect that after he took Maul down, Obi thought about how Maul had had the higher ground and that he was lucky to have won. Thus he went back to the drawing board and developed higher ground advantages.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. All the new episodes make perfect sense now.
  • Bremenacht 28 Mar 2014 00:34:11 17,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There you go! Oh hang about - I've just undermined my criticism of Prometheus. Look - everything now makes sense:

Captain Elba fucking around with a Christmas tree. Explanation: it contained a hidden message from the future, telling him everything that would happen. He decoded the message, and then you saw him explain it to Noomi. Solved.

Captain Elba playing the accordion. Explanation: The song he was playing is actually a shamanistic mind control tune, which is how he got his crew to join him in suicide so easily, and got Charlize to shag him. Solved.

Doctor Shitless loving alien snakes. Explanation: As a child, Doctor Shitless had a number of pet snakes that looked just like the alien one, and who liked to cuddle him and tuck him up in bed. Thus, alien snake reminded him of home and being mothered. Solved.

Grumpy McBastard getting lost. Explanation: He didn't know how to map at all. He'd get lost in a barrel. He lied about it all along and luckily guessed how the mapping machines work, fooling his colleagues. Solved

Charlize running in straight line. She had a hip defect which prevented her from turning when running. Solved.

Etc. Solved.

A brilliant film, completely misunderstood by 99% of it's audience.

Sorry sega. :- )

Edited by Bremenacht at 00:35:18 28-03-2014
  • FWB 28 Mar 2014 00:37:28 43,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You are on a roll. Can you do more important stuff?

Why is it in Friends, that when Monica recalls bumping into Rachael for the first time in NYC she refers to her as some bully girl from her high school, but in later episodes they suddenly have a best friends storyline?

Edited by FWB at 00:38:32 28-03-2014
  • Ror1984 28 Mar 2014 00:38:46 2,831 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Captain Elba fucking around with a Christmas tree. Explanation: it contained a hidden message from the future, telling him everything that would happen. He decoded the message, and then you saw him explain it to Noomi. Solved.
    You're half right. He was actually visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come (whilst in that shamanistic trance you mentioned) who gave him said message.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Bremenacht 28 Mar 2014 00:43:43 17,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:

Why is it in Friends, that when Monica recalls bumping into Rachael for the first time in NYC she refers to her as some bully girl from her high school, but in later episodes they suddenly have a best friends storyline?
    Come on. That one is obvious.

Parallel universes overlapping and introducing a hitherto unknown corporeal displacement effect during filming.
  • FWB 28 Mar 2014 00:46:08 43,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that Friends canon?

Edited by FWB at 00:46:18 28-03-2014
  • sega 28 Mar 2014 00:53:09 762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Amazing. This is why I love Prometheus discussions. These will go down in history as great examples in insane internet disputes. The logic of why a character would or wouldn't pet an alien snake. I'm part of this too. It'll go on forever.

If you're ever to scientifically analyse internet movie disputes Prometheus HAS to be used as an example. No other movie would ever come close to the reaction this film gets - except maybe Alien 3.
  • Steve_Perry 28 Mar 2014 07:11:34 3,568 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    FWB wrote:

Come on. That one is obvious.

Parallel universes overlapping and introducing a hitherto unknown corporeal displacement effect during filming.
    I always thought friends was sci fi. Confirmed.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• spindizzy 28 Mar 2014 07:17:35 6,427 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    speaking of aliens, I heard on ancient aliens the other day that youre an alien, spindizzy.
    ;-)
  • Gambit1977 28 Mar 2014 07:26:58 9,583 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So why did Liam neeson allow his daughter to go to Europe in the first place?
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Mar 2014 07:35:05 23,189 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because she had a back defect that meant every time she ran she buckled forward like quasimodo and Liam wanted her killed because he was embarrassed every time they went jogging together.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• ubergine 28 Mar 2014 07:46:58 2,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a terrible script with inconsistent characterization who, as a result, behave inconsistently and are not believable. It's worst crime is that it stopped development on Del Toro's "At The Mountains of Madness" because it cribbed the major plot idea from it.

The movie shouldn't be discussed, watched or named, it doesn't deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Gambit1977 28 Mar 2014 07:56:34 9,583 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Because she had a back defect that meant every time she ran she buckled forward like quasimodo and Liam wanted her killed because he was embarrassed every time they went jogging together.
    ah Brill, thanks. Strange they would want to whore out such a defrcted animal but i guess everything has its market.

any chance someone could tell me when the Salt s
    fucking phone gone madequel is out? sequel os out?
  • Gambit1977 28 Mar 2014 07:56:57 9,583 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wtf :D
  • askew 28 Mar 2014 08:18:21 12,029 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scientists will find this thread and use it as a star map
  • Page

of 116 First / Last

Next