Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 105

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• Tryhard 12 Feb 2013 10:23:24 3,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I see the DVD in Morrsions bargain bin looking at me.I'll continue to ignore it then.:-P
  • RobAnybody 12 Feb 2013 15:30:30 884 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I admire your common sense and ability to recognise utter shit when you see it. :)

Edited by RobAnybody at 15:30:58 12-02-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Feb 2013 22:12:03 37,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So just seen this for the first time. Dafuq did I just watch? I mean, I kinda liked it... But it was pretty disjointed and I don't know the "why?" of anything that happened.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• 4gate 15 Feb 2013 22:35:32 362 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The kinda like it thing will fade at it settles in your memory as not as good as at least 3 previous Alien films, and you won't care much about the why.
  • sega 15 Feb 2013 22:38:34 774 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    Movie was stupid for many reasons:

Scientist taking off helmet, despite being a bloody scientist and against the pleas of everyone else there. Just wrong, completely unbelievable actions of even a normal person.
    I'm not going to defend Prometheus against those who don't like it, as that's up to the viewer, but I always find this argument interesting.

Scientifically speaking, the most likely scenario regarding airborne viruses on an alien world is that they would be completely harmless to us. A virus has to adapt and mutate before it is able to infect its host, which is exactly the reason people are unable to contract the same diseases as animals. It's only these mutations that allow illnesses that affect animals to eventually be a threat to humans, which would take a very long time if at all.

A lot of the plot holes in Prometheus come from our knowledge of alien life from other movies. Scientifically there is no evidence at all one way or another, so any approach is considered reasonable when testing for a reaction for the first time.

With regards to the snake creature, as viewers of the film we know it to be a threat because we've seen Alien. John Hurt did exactly the same thing and we know how that ended. The crew of this film haven't seen Alien, so they just see a creature and have no idea if it is hostile or not one way or the other. A scientist would be curious about this creature, especially with it being the first instance of alien life anyone has ever encountered. To not investigate at all would be the least scientific approach as you're relying on faith that the creature is hostile. The hissing and stance of the creature is to imply it is hostile, but the scientist could decide it is not a threat because it a) behaviour on Earth is no indication that this creature has evolved to display familiar hostile characteristics and b) it didn't even have a mouth.
  • Khanivor 15 Feb 2013 23:58:22 40,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, that'll be why they quarantined the Apolo astronauts for days after they got back from the moon; they hadn't seen Prometheus and its solid-science rule book.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 00:10:20
    I rewatched this t'other day and actually didn't dislike it as much as before.

But then I watched Aliens straight afterwards and realised what a massive pile of bobbins it really was.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 00:25:43
    That said, I am now watching Alien Vs Predator, and that's just so terrible it makes Prometheus look like the fucking Godfather or something. The Italian archaeologist is one of the worst actors in any film ever.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 00:54:50 76,547 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, AvP Requiem makes AvP look like The Godfather.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:12:37
    Eh, I dunno. AvP:R was B-Movie from the get-go, which makes it slightly more entertaining (or at least, cheesy enough to be forgettable fluff). AvP feels like it's under the pretentious belief that it compares favourably with the proper films.

They're both fucking shite, true, but on different levels.
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 01:14:13 774 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Aye, that'll be why they quarantined the Apolo astronauts for days after they got back from the moon; they hadn't seen Prometheus and its solid-science rule book.
    Not sure if being serious but, yes, we're all fully aware of the disease ridden rock that is the moon. I don't know why we didn't just quit with science in the 1960's when we had all the answers.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 01:15:53 76,547 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno, I was optimistic about AvP Requiem when I heard it was more of a b-movie style, but it was still so terrible.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Feb 2013 08:53:57 37,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still trying to figure out why David just went around touching EVERYTHING. I thought he was going to lick the goo off his fingers at first! And why the pissing hell did he infect that fella?

• fletch7100 16 Feb 2013 08:58:22 7,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's probably from the futurama Farnsworth style of scientist. Lets just prod this, do that stand back and see what Happens
  • onestepfromlost 16 Feb 2013 10:21:38 2,042 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sega wrote:

With regards to the snake creature, as viewers of the film we know it to be a threat because we've seen Alien. John Hurt did exactly the same thing and we know how that ended. The crew of this film haven't seen Alien, so they just see a creature and have no idea if it is hostile or not one way or the other. A scientist would be curious about this creature, especially with it being the first instance of alien life anyone has ever encountered. To not investigate at all would be the least scientific approach as you're relying on faith that the creature is hostile. The hissing and stance of the creature is to imply it is hostile, but the scientist could decide it is not a threat because it a) behaviour on Earth is no indication that this creature has evolved to display familiar hostile characteristics and b) it didn't even have a mouth.
    This annoys the piss out of me, its doesnt look like a threat because we have seen the other films. It looks like a threat because it is displaying threatening charactiristics that any animal exhibit when feeling threatened or going to attack. Making its self as tall and wide as possible. It hisses as well does it not? Now any normal person can instinctualy know this is aggressive behaviour so how the fuck does a biologist specailising in animal life not pick up on it. fucking stupid.
    Also the geologist whos sole putpose is to map the place and find his way about and he is the one who gets lost. I mean how hard would it have been for the other one to get lost and him to follow him to try prevent them getting lost, but it happening anyway, but no with him leading the way concentrating on finding the way out, he gets lost. FUcking stupid
  • Trowel 16 Feb 2013 10:31:11 17,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A geologist who's sole purpose is to map a building?

Think you'll find he was there to do nothing but look at the geology and drink some real ale.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 10:47:42
    Trowel wrote:
    A geologist who's sole purpose is to map a building?

Think you'll find he was there to do nothing but look at the geology and drink some real ale.
    Film would have been better and made more sense if they'd used a Silent Cartographer.

Ahem.
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 12:51:13 774 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    This annoys the piss out of me, its doesnt look like a threat because we have seen the other films. It looks like a threat because it is displaying threatening charactiristics that any animal exhibit when feeling threatened or going to attack. Making its self as tall and wide as possible. It hisses as well does it not? Now any normal person can instinctualy know this is aggressive behaviour so how the fuck does a biologist specailising in animal life not pick up on it. fucking stupid.
    Also the geologist whos sole putpose is to map the place and find his way about and he is the one who gets lost. I mean how hard would it have been for the other one to get lost and him to follow him to try prevent them getting lost, but it happening anyway, but no with him leading the way concentrating on finding the way out, he gets lost. FUcking stupid
    It's a threatening characteristic with a cobra, but that thing isn't a cobra. It's definitely not a threatening characteristic with "any" animal at all. A dog, for example, would actually crouch down lower in an aggressive position and an upright stance like that would be a show of affection.

However! This is a film and we're supposed to feel threatened as an audience. It's to build tension. They could have had a creature that represented a kitten playing around and then have that attack, but we wouldn't have had the tension. As I've said, I don't mind people disliking the film at all, but this is hardly an unbelievable reaction. It's like you're saying no one has ever reached out for a cobra before or approached an animal they shouldn't have. Maybe it's the hissing? Again, it's for the audience - it's like saying it's stupid someone took a shower whilst violins are playing. It's not unrealistic behaviour at all to do what he did, it's just curiosity whether they should have taken better precautions or not. It's definitely not an unscientific approach - or are you saying real life scientists who have given themselves radiation poisoning or have accidently blown themselves up are just as unlikely?

The point is, it's no different at all to John Hurt sticking his face in an egg. His line "we must go on. We have to go on" says it all.
  • Megapocalypse 16 Feb 2013 12:58:21 5,328 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • McGeeza 16 Feb 2013 13:34:45 928 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stroking a fucked off cobra-thing is not the same as examining a weird egg whilst wearing a protective helmet. Your instincts would tell you that the cobra may bite, but you wouldn't be assuming that a creature was going to fly out of the egg and attach itself to your helmet, dissolve the glass with acid and then impregnate you via your throat.

Edited by McGeeza at 13:35:55 16-02-2013
  • Steve_Perry 16 Feb 2013 13:41:31 3,656 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Defending the mongolity that is the Prometheus script is not really worth while. You are going to lose 100% of the time.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Whizzo 16 Feb 2013 13:51:43 43,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kane was also the executive officer onboard a commercial tug, not someone who is supposed to be a scientist.

He'd also not seen tons of dead engineer corpses lying around either, "oh look at the cobra thing, I bet that's harmless. I shall also ignore all the dead bodies that weren't far away. Oh and the holographic footage of those aliens running away from something."

Edited by Whizzo at 13:54:40 16-02-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2013 14:01:13 7,007 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't think the film was really that bad. I actually quite liked parts of it.

With all the stuff people have mentioned... well, yeah, in retrospect there were some things that didn't really fit in a logical sense. But, for the most part, I wasn't thinking about any of those while actually watching the film. The experience itself I mostly enjoyed, and few of the plot holes really took me out of that.

That said, if I watched it again after reading this thread, I might pick up on those things more and have a different view. Some films do not stand up to a second viewing.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 14:02:28 76,547 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've seen Prometheus three times now. It's decent overall, and much better if you go in to it with more knowledge of character motives and some aspects of the plot. Quite a few logical assumptions need to be made as the movie doesn't spell things out for people. There are far worse films than this that don't get even a fraction of the hate this film gets. It's not even a bad film. Might just be that people love the Alien franchise a hell of a lot.
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:05:35 40,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is why you, for example, never see real scientists wearing eye protection or gloves. Unless you know there is a certain danger then you don't take any precautions because only fucking pussies do that. Err on the side of caution? Calling me a fucking poof? Real scientists don't have procedures, we just lick everything.

So this is what the PDF looks like? Ick.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Feb 2013 14:06:26 37,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So who got turned into the murderous zombie? Was it the dude who got snaked or the dude who got a face full of melted hemlet?

And what was with the murderous zombie? There was literally no mention of anything like that at any other point of the movie.

• Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2013 14:07:15 7,007 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Real men rub their dicks on everything.
  • onestepfromlost 16 Feb 2013 14:07:18 2,042 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't get me wrong its not a terrible film, just these totally moronic things ruin it a bit. If these stupid acts in the film were done by characters that shouldn't know better it wouldn't be so jarring.
    Also why does old geezer feel the need to be there in secret, he is funding the thing what difference does it make if he is there or not.

I think also if the film was its own universe and not part of the aliens franchise i wouldn't have as many issues with it. I tend to pick holes in things.
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:08:34 40,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And yes, people have reached out and tried to toucha lethal looking creature. We then typically say its a shame they won't see their sixth birthday, if only their mummy had been there to stop them.
  • Page

of 116 First / Last