Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 104

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 December 2012 01:41:52
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not great but it's not worse than that Star Wars prequels, c'mon.
    Black Goo > Midochlorians.

He's right, y'know. though it's fun to think Jar Jar Binks evolved from ThroatSquid.
  • dominalien 26 Dec 2012 08:48:46 6,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not great but it's not worse than that Star Wars prequels, c'mon.
    That's true, but then nothing is worse than the Star Wars prequels.

PSN: DonOsito

• Flying_Pig 22 Jan 2013 14:36:15 10,729 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched it for the first time last night and quite enjoyed it. Certainly not an amazing film and quite a few unexplicable events/developments, although I think this was mainly down to poor story telling (although I wonder if the writers did this intentionally to create an element of suspense...?

My only real outstanding question is what happened to the guy who's arm got broken in the pyrimid (biologist guy)? We saw what happened to the geologist whose helmet melted, bit not him. Maybe I just missed it...? And also how did those 2 get lost - the geologist guy was actively mapping out the complex...?!
  • Megapocalypse 22 Jan 2013 14:44:55 5,325 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also saw it for the first time last night. Enjoyable but felt like half the film was missing.
  • kalel 22 Jan 2013 14:49:52 86,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The getting lost thing didn't bother me too much. They were scared, it was dark yadda yadda. I've seen worse plot devices.

The only time I really found myself going "duuur" was the infamous running away from the doughnut bit.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 14:50:52 43,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The getting lost thing didn't bother me too much. They were scared, it was dark yadda yadda. I've seen worse plot devices.

The only time I really found myself going "duuur" was the infamous running away from the doughnut bit.
    Wasn't that so Noomi's cross could save her, because she believed and Charlize Theron didn't?

Horrible theme and horrible execution, anyway.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Maturin 22 Jan 2013 15:13:23 2,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Flying_Pig I don't think they were lost. It was more a case of disorientation, fear and being in an unfamiliar place. Just because a dot on the map shows them where they are, it's not like they knew the place inside out.
  • kalel 22 Jan 2013 15:17:31 86,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some would say getting disoriented and thus not being able to find your way out = being lost.
  • Maturin 22 Jan 2013 15:19:52 2,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Some would say getting disoriented and thus not being able to find your way out = being lost.
    Fine, but that can happen to people with a sat nav. Whatever faults the movie has I don't see this particular incident being that problematic.
  • kalel 22 Jan 2013 15:22:29 86,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agin, it's not something I had a huge issue with, but it's not brilliantly explained. In the original script he drops and breaks his map thingy. Wouldn't have killed them to keep that in.
  • AcidSnake 22 Jan 2013 15:25:19 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's just a combination of the cartographer getting lost, the scientist being the first to remove his helmet to give the alien atmosphere a good sniff, the biologist to hug a dangerous animal and the captain to take orders and crash his ship...

By themselves pretty harmless but all together it feels like bad writing...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ecureuil 22 Jan 2013 15:37:00 76,534 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw it a second time and I actually really like it. I think I've got most of the plot figured out, though it could probably do with a directors cut with some missing scenes reinserted. The only bit I really don't like is the one guy coming back as a super zombie.
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 15:45:45 58,907 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, the original script explained reasonably well why they got lost with the actual film changing just enough for it to not make sense.

They freak out over another apparition and the geology dude runs off without his equipment.

Still doesnt explain why captain idris elba cant guide them out, but still..

Edited by nickthegun at 15:48:44 22-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ecureuil 22 Jan 2013 16:02:44 76,534 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makes you wonder why they changed it, since the changes only make it more confusing, and not at all mysterious and intriguing which is what I assume they were going for. I'd blame Ridley Scott as much as Lindelof. You'd think someone would have read Lindelof's script and immediately realised that it was worse than the previous one. I guess that's how Hollywood works. Hire someone to rewrite a script and then just go with it, cause, whatever.

Edited by ecureuil at 16:03:26 22-01-2013
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 16:22:31 58,907 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its probably for time. The exchange goes something along the lines of:

Biologist: 'Ok, so where do we go now?'
    Geologist: 'I dunno. I left my gear back there'
    Biologist: '.......'

So not hugely important to the script and, in isolation, something you could easily see them getting rid of before the whole 'ITS RIDDLED WITH HOLES' thing fell on them.

He totally called it

• Flying_Pig 22 Jan 2013 16:25:08 10,729 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I think it's just a combination of the cartographer getting lost, the scientist being the first to remove his helmet to give the alien atmosphere a good sniff, the biologist to hug a dangerous animal and the captain to take orders and crash his ship...

By themselves pretty harmless but all together it feels like bad writing...
    Completely this - especially the biologist being keen to handle an unknown animal which certainly came across as an agressive reptile type thing.

Also with the taking the helmet off thing - OK so the air is breathable, but what about bacteria or disease? Haven't they ever listened to War of the Worlds?
  • nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 16:28:03 58,907 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I said this to the mrs after we watched it. If the worm things had evolved into guinea pigs, you could see why he would try to stroke it.

As it stands, it evolves into a penis cobra with a spiked vagina for a mouth. Your most primal, genetic level instincts would tell you that touching it is not a great idea.

He totally called it

• ecureuil 22 Jan 2013 16:35:35 76,534 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't see the big deal with the helmet thing. I can take in good faith that their fancy futuristic tech is capable of telling them if the air is safe or not, and that includes diseases, etc. Even though there's not much in the way of dialogue, it's not too far of an assumption for anybody to make imo.
  • Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 16:37:12 27,263 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The touching the aggressive penis snake thing is by far the worst bit for me.
  • ecureuil 22 Jan 2013 16:38:00 76,534 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I said this to the mrs after we watched it. If the worm things had evolved into guinea pigs, you could see why he would try to stroke it.

As it stands, it evolves into a penis cobra with a spiked vagina for a mouth. Your most primal, genetic level instincts would tell you that touching it is not a great idea.
    If it'd been the guy that was smoking weed in his helmet that was trying to touch it, they might have got away with it..
  • Maturin 22 Jan 2013 16:39:24 2,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Terry Nutkins would have touched it. :)

I've known a few animal-mad people and you'd think a scorpion was a fluffy baby bunny the way they'd want to grab it.
  • AcidSnake 22 Jan 2013 16:43:02 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I really don't see the big deal with the helmet thing. I can take in good faith that their fancy futuristic tech is capable of telling them if the air is safe or not, and that includes diseases, etc. Even though there's not much in the way of dialogue, it's not too far of an assumption for anybody to make imo.
    I don't remember exactly but didn't the other people with him (also some scientists) initially react disapprovingly?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 16:44:15 27,263 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Terry Nutkins would have touched it. :)

I've known a few animal-mad people and you'd think a scorpion was a fluffy baby bunny the way they'd want to grab it.
    I was actually talking about bath time with dad there, sorry wrong thread.
  • Latin 22 Jan 2013 16:51:29 3,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Movie was stupid for many reasons:

Scientist taking off helmet, despite being a bloody scientist and against the pleas of everyone else there. Just wrong, completely unbelievable actions of even a normal person.

Same guy who has spent his entire life researching said star maps and looking for the creators of man, has travelled however long to get somewhere that might not even have any answers, has a massive breakdown because, on the first day, the first bloody day, they didn't find a living alien. Despite finding the biggest human discovery of all time, he acts totally unlike a scientist. I fail to believe this guy would have been allowed on the ship at all, his actions are so moronic.

Captain assuming it's a weapons facility (and the director endorsing said view by not offering any other option)... If this is the case why did they put a star map to the weapons facility? So the albino giants came down to earth thousands of years ago, showed all these separate cultures where to go... to die? Why wouldn't they just take the black goo to earth when they were down there drawing all these star maps? Makes no sense.

Medical bay/machine for men only... What!? You've spent so much on this machine (only 8 in existence or something) and it's only for one gender!? With all of our understanding of the human body!? Nonsense

Giant vagina facehugger was just ridiculous, it's looks more powerful than any alien we've seen in previous movies (apart from the queen), so why would it plant an egg to make something inferior? Also why didn't ripley mark 2 (or whatever her name is) kill the thing?

Why does the mural of the alien inside the cave look like the xenomorphs that come out of humans, but the xenomorph that comes out of the albino dude look completely different (and also totally lame) if we have the same dna? Why was there even a mural of the xenomorph there? Did the albino goons go through the exact same process, i.e. infect a specimen, said specimen impregnates someone else, embryo grows to become facehuggers (that are totally different to the ones we're used to)?

It's all stupid and makes no sense.
  • Youthist 22 Jan 2013 16:57:48 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bumped for viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc&feature=youtu.be

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Bremenacht 22 Jan 2013 22:56:56 17,614 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

If it'd been the guy that was smoking weed in his helmet that was trying to touch it, they might have got away with it..
    They sort of explain that in the BD extras - they encountered a harmless version earlier.

A lot of stuff in the extras explains a lot more of the nonsensical stuff, like the sudden WMD explanation for the black goo. I'm not sure if they'd have worked in the film or made it more disjointed.

On second viewing, the narrative seems even more disjointed and stupid, but the film looks even better. Everything about the design is total quality. Best looking film of last year for me. I haven't seen Life of Pi yet though.
  • ecureuil 22 Jan 2013 23:05:02 76,534 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Life of Pi is fantastic. It's worth seeing in 3D at the cinema too.
  • spindizzy 12 Feb 2013 07:23:55 6,428 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched it last night. I basically agree with most of the comments I've read: a poorly written, beautiful, disappointment. It wasn't awful, but it was so much worse than it should have been... What a shame!
  • neilka 12 Feb 2013 08:24:02 15,678 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least it's going to look good in hindsight relative to Colonial Marines.
  • spindizzy 12 Feb 2013 08:57:24 6,428 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    bumped for viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc&feature=youtu.be
    That's actually really well done ...
  • Page

of 116 First / Last