Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 101

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• Maturin 15 Oct 2012 19:22:05 3,104 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Losing their nerve - with good reason - (and being really cold) is also a good reason Fifield and Millburn get disorientated in the ship.

I actually preferred the film second time around. I'd thought a bit more about it since the cinema viewing - especially the implications regarding events on earth 2000 years ago.
  • Ror1984 15 Oct 2012 19:32:15 3,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True - and it's not a massive annoyance for me that they do get lost. More like a minor niggle.

I was the same. After the first viewing, I liked it, but I was unsure about some things - mainly, I thought it needed to be a bit longer to give it a bit of breathing space, and the cast felt a little too large. Those are really two sides of the same coin, though. The second time, I really liked it. After the third viewing, the only thing that I don't like is Holloway.

Also, regarding the ship (and as such, the Engineer's plan) having been there for 2,000 years - I can't believe I never picked up on that! Thanks.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Maturin 15 Oct 2012 19:39:19 3,104 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was something I thought of on the way home from the cinema. But I thought maybe it's just a wacky idea of mine.

But it turns out there are versions of the script with it more implicit, and Scott has confirmed it, the implication is the man crucified as Jesus 2000 years ago was an Engineer (or representing them).

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.
    Edited by Maturin at 19:41:11 15-10-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Oct 2012 19:43:44 5,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...it is a poor crew likely to make bad decisions.....

Yet they've primarily been re-hired based on past performance ? Or similar reasoning to below*

Shaw actually turns out to be right.
    About what ? First it's a map/marker to their homeworld, then it's a theoretical tucked-away weapons lab, then I didn't care.....bar why the Engies would leave all important clues to it ?

...where the barmy ideas of one women is funded.....

They'd lost contact with Hadley's Hope. Terraforming costs money, equals crappy reserve detachment being sent to find out why. That's the reason. Slight W.Yutani interference considering they knew something was going on, plus Ripley's crazy testimony, and alien equals more money. *Why send something /someone that isn't expendable ? Why send a larger group that'll be difficult to control/contain ? Think corporate......

Anyway, I still really enjoyed the film second time around.

Probably never will. Silly up to the point of ridiculous. David and doctors prepare to cryo Shaw, who removes the embryo herself, miraculous staples, and then bursts into Weyland's room. Then all is mysteriously (read: craply written) forgotten, and they've got an Engineer to meet.
    David's busy with slipper duty, the Red Road doctor has blanked her fight with Shaw, no idea where/who the other guy is.....pleeeease. Just no.

As for the two guys who jumped into the rover and crushed mutant boy (Aliens APC nod), before driving off.....where were they going ? Where are they now ? I could go on.....

Illogical cut-jump plotting with huge holes and a poor script doesn't add up for me.
  • Ror1984 15 Oct 2012 19:47:52 3,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's better off as a (very) vague allusion rather than a direct link to that. Interesting thought, though. Thanks for that quote.

• Maturin 15 Oct 2012 19:53:30 3,104 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Shaw actually turns out to be right.
    About what ? First it's a map/marker to their homeworld, then it's a theoretical tucked-away weapons lab, then I didn't care.....bar why the Engies would leave all important clues to it ?
    That some cave paintings would actually lead to a planet inhabited by our ancestors.

Their initial findings on the planet vindicated her. At first.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Oct 2012 20:16:01 5,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A planet ?

Why that one specifically ? Especially if it's the one that's utilised as the base of our destruction ?

Linking to the JC theory it's plausible that it's a "Hey, send an envoy here or we'll continue our plans to destroy you" but that's hardly touched upon.

There are so many inter-jumbled strands slapped together that just don't gel. We have:

- Weyland's immortality crusade. Crap, and feels out of place.
    - The black goo. A Fallout-esque FEV deal, that works. Could've simplified it to the worms evolving as the alien base, instead of worm-human-engineer-xeno with the Planet-X squid thrown in for giggles.
    -Engineers. Could've stayed extinct. Should've stayed extinct. Enough clues via the holo-vid recordings, decaying suits etc, instead we get typical lumbering monster-chasing finale cliché. The makers/JC thread might've been even sillier. Absolutely no need.
    -David's story, that should've followed him subtly infecting/experimenting with the crew, all in the view of corporate benefit.

Focusing on just one of those, rather than mashing them together, and it'd improve.
  • Maturin 15 Oct 2012 22:09:24 3,104 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe there was a Smiley happy planet in the same system with a buffet laid on and a big poster saying "welcome puny earthlings". But they went to the weapon goo planet first by mistake. :)
  • thedaveeyres 15 Oct 2012 22:25:43 11,276 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The way I saw it, the markers on earth were a trap/safeguard. As in, if humankind escape Earth, let's send them somewhere first where they'll die and alert us as the same time before they contaminate the rest of our lovingly genetically engineered universe.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• IronGiant 15 Oct 2012 23:25:30 4,595 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me it was 7/10 at the cinema, looked amazing and the 3D was well done but it seemed a bit all over the place and some things didn't make sense. I've since bought it on blu ray and after a second watch i enjoyed it more. If nothing else it's led to 101 pages of debate, even if most people are slating it :) It's made enough for another movie so bring it on!
  • Ror1984 15 Oct 2012 23:29:24 3,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let's not forget the cave paintings found at the start of the film are ~35,000 years old, and the plan to erase humanity seems to have been enacted 2,000 years before the start of the film. Who knows what LV223 was like more than 30,000 years ago. It could have been an Engineer colony world at that point.

• Khanivor 15 Oct 2012 23:31:51 40,952 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going to give this a second go. I'm hoping I will be able to let the annoyances go but damn if they are so really annoying. One of my biggest irritations with a movie is if the characters act like fucking spastics. And all the characters act like utter morons in Prometheus. Often for no good reason. Surely they could have had at least one of the scientists react to being part of the greatest discovery in human history with more enthusiasm then if they were going down to the shops to buy some milk.
  • thedaveeyres 16 Oct 2012 09:35:17 11,276 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    Let's not forget the cave paintings found at the start of the film are ~35,000 years old, and the plan to erase humanity seems to have been enacted 2,000 years before the start of the film. Who knows what LV223 was like more than 30,000 years ago. It could have been an Engineer colony world at that point.
    No, my point was that they wanted to keep us in the petri dish and stop humankind as a contagion spreading haphazardly by surrounding us with bleach. Then 2,000 years ago they decided the experiment was over and to pour the bleach in and finish us off. (metaphor shamelessly stolen from Isaac Asimov)

Edited by thedaveeyres at 09:36:46 16-10-2012

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• samk 16 Oct 2012 09:47:35 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched this for the first time yesterday (2D bluray version). What a crushing disappointment. :( I don't think there's nerd rage in the largely negative reaction that Prometheus seems to have garnered, but that so many wanted it to be really great classy scifi, only to find the type of idiocy and junk-science found in Michael Bay garbage.

It looks nice and shiny, but you'd expect nothing less considering it cost about a hundred million quid. But the rest of it is a total mess. After 100 pages all the individual gripes have probably been flogged to death already, so I'll just explain the gist of what I didn't like.

Scott's early classic scifi movies Alien and Bladerunner (and Cameron's Aliens, T1 and T2) were straightforward adventure tales with no extra chaff. Though they had their share of implausible moments (the Alien queen using the elevator always bothered me), they got by because I could warm to the personable characters as they were doing their best to survive the situations they found themselves in.

Not so with Prometheus. Every few minutes there's another half-baked utterly implausible idea that ends up going nowhere. Unlike Scott's earlier movies, such implausible ideas aren't accepted because the characters are so unlikable; they're all either acting like dudebro teenagers bored on a school outing, or like dickheads trying their best to get themselves killed. It speaks volumes when the most likeable character amongst them is the robot doing frankenstein experiments on the supposed heroine.

That said, I will watch the sequel. It's so big budget that it's the type of movie you have to watch at some point in your lifetime.
  • AcidSnake 16 Oct 2012 09:48:45 7,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And they accidentally spilled the bleach on themselves instead?

I think a possible course for the sequel would be some SJ politics...Some of them still believed in the humans and tried to save them by setting the bleach free on their own...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Ror1984 16 Oct 2012 13:18:20 3,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @thedaveeyres I got your point, and it's an interesting one, but there's nothing in the film to substantiate it. There's nothing in there to substantiate any theory - it's wide open until we get a sequel (hopefully) explaining things.

The way I look at it, LV223 could have been a general science/research outpost at the time of the cave paintings. Given that it's supposedly the first place to find anything left behind by the Engineers, perhaps it was their furthest science outpost from 'Paradise' and the closest to Earth. This would allow them to make first contact/assess what humanity had become with minimal risk to their own civilization. When it became clear they wanted to wipe the slate clean and start again (if that's what happened, of course), it would have made sense to repurpose LV223 for that.

I think the biggest question for me that a sequel could address is the Engineers' motives in that ~30,000 year period between cave paintings and the last recorded events on LV223. Did the Engineers change their minds, or was Earth never anything more than a science experiment with a finite end?

• The-Bodybuilder 21 Oct 2012 16:08:48 14,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    Although, Fifield and Millburn getting lost seems a bit silly, since surely they'd have had a map on their HUD - that strip across the front top of their helmets is supposed to be an array of small screens - surely one would be used for orientation.
    Didn't they take off their helmets?
  • Khanivor 21 Oct 2012 16:54:42 40,952 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Curse those one-use helmets!
  • kalel 12 Nov 2012 16:42:51 88,457 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Full script for the original Alien Prequel leaked and downloadable.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2012 18:03:19 5,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still a badly written crock-of-shit. Thank fuck they cut "Weyland's Wheel." Really ?!

Although it does show the desperate need to try and explain everything, terraforming, Space Jockeys, the ship, xenos etc, without a decent thought about how or why there was a need to explain everything.
  • kalel 12 Nov 2012 18:20:14 88,457 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've only skimmed it so far, but it's interesting as a counter-point to Prometheus, in that this painstakingly explains everything. Lindelof's task was obviously to tone all that done, but he just got a bit slash happy I reckon.

It's weird one. There's just a handful of tiny tweaks that could have been made to Prometheus that would have satisfyingly tied it into Alien, whilst still keeping it as a film that stands on its own. I don't understand why those tweaks weren't made as it so nearly connects up, but just not quite. It's like it teases you. Perhaps that's to leave stuff for the sequels, but it did feel forced, and this script shows that it was forced.
  • ecu 12 Nov 2012 18:21:33 77,039 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really hope the new Plinkett review is of this movie.
  • Bremenacht 12 Nov 2012 23:36:46 18,761 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm liking that script, so far. A substantial amount of inspiration from 2001.
  • FWB 13 Nov 2012 00:08:56 44,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Could someone just summarize that script for me? I stopped when I hit "BEAUTIFUL WOMAN". Cringe worthy.
  • Feanor 13 Nov 2012 01:38:10 14,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just saw it yesterday. Quite enjoyable overall.
  • Scimarad 13 Nov 2012 06:41:41 8,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @FWB

lol, me too!
  • Bremenacht 14 Nov 2012 01:23:16 18,761 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Could someone just summarize that script for me? I stopped when I hit "BEAUTIFUL WOMAN". Cringe worthy.
    Ignore the cringeworthy stuff and pick through the rest. I'm only reading a few pages at a time, but already I'm seeing a more sensible and straightforward Weyland story and a far superior (i.e. simpler) explanation for David's ability to understand alien stuff.

Seems to me, based on the stuff I've read so far, that the Lost guy wasn't brought in to make sense of the screenplay or turn it into something Cinematic - he was brought in simply to inject a load of Lost-style nonsensical bollocks. He succeeded.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2012 08:33:57 88,457 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, I think his job was to make it much less of an Alien film.
  • boo 14 Nov 2012 09:09:15 11,845 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watched this the other night (regular, 2D DVD).
    Beautiful to look at but copious amounts of huh?

The thing that gets me most, above all the other 'Why did they do that? Why did they ignore this? etc etc was this...

It's set in 2085 (iirc), so less than 100 years from now.

As it stands, all the evidence we have available to us suggests we are alone in the universe. We currently have Curiosity grooving around on Mars, and if it were to find evidence of even a single celled organism, it would be the most world-shattering event.

It would prove that We. Are. Not. Alone.

And yet, on the strength of the sort of evidence that Erich von Daniken has been bandying about for the last 40 years, they hop a few bazillion miles across the galaxy, and when they actually find a full blown civilisation, not just a few cells, their scientific response is, 'Oh, cool!'.

Couldn't take anything seriously after that point.

Just Another Lego Blog

• nickthegun 14 Nov 2012 09:56:43 60,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I really hope the new Plinkett review is of this movie.
    They thought it was stupid but enjoyable on half in the bag, so everyone hoping they rip it to shreds is probably going to be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Page

of 116 First / Last