Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 99

  • Page

    of 116 First / Last

  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 19:23:15
    How is it clear it was created in the future?
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 19:28:13 5,954 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    James Cameron should do the sequel. A group of space marines pick up dragon tattoo bird and Magneto head, then proceed to wage unholy war on the engineer homeworld. IN FREE DEE.
    I'm gonna wait for the crossover. Engineers Vs Well Constructed Plot.
  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 19:36:12 18,453 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    How is it clear it was created in the future?
    Because I adopted the idea as a fact and presented it as being true.
  • Spong 9 Oct 2012 20:25:27 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw Prometheus for the first time last week. Can't believe such a shit film has a 99-page thread here. I'll go ahead and assume it's 99 pages of people saying "what the fuck did I just sit through?"
  • silentbob 9 Oct 2012 20:38:40 28,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    See, a bit like Kal, they really didn't bother me so much. There was nothing about this film that I hated and I think most of this mass outpouring of vitriol is internet hysteria based.

    I said it pages and pages ago, but Prometheus could never, ever live up to the hype.
    I know you do. And I genuinely think you both believe it.

    But in actual fact it's just not very good. And the assumption that the backlash against is because those who believe that are somehow indoctrinated by the poisonous interwebs is worthy of inclusion in a Prometheus sequel itself.

    Edited by silentbob at 20:39:11 09-10-2012

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • ecureuil 9 Oct 2012 21:05:03 76,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think it's alright. Can't figure out where all the hate is coming from when my own reaction was just that it could have been better. There were more shitty films than good ones in the Alien series even before this, so it's not like the franchise has been ruined by this.

    I've seen as much hate for this as the Star Wars prequels had. I don't know what it did that was so offensive to some people, there's quite a lot about it that I liked, and some really well shot scenes. The scene in the medical pod was just brilliant, even though it was unrealistic. Anybody else out there that found it watchable but disappointing?
  • Jmek 9 Oct 2012 21:09:52 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I bought the blu ray, 3D blu ray no less. Sadly it's no better on a second viewing. It looks great but the plot & characterisation are appalling. I've watched a bit of the making of and it seems that scenes were thought up, however they were never able to meld them into a coherent whole. Most surprisingly the decision to move away from a direct Alien prequel came from the suits at Fox. The logic behind this was that the alien had been done to death and they wanted something new, something surprising. It's true that the Alien has been done to death, but not well. Instead of moving away they should have embraced Giger's beast and used all the technology at their disposal to bring it to life as never before. You cannot improve on perfection.

    Edited by Jmek at 21:10:11 09-10-2012
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 21:20:29 5,954 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See I really don't understand that thinking, they greenlight a prequel to Alien THEN decide Alien has been done to death. It hasn't anyway we've had 4 movies (only the first 3 of which were decent) and two crossover turds aimed at a younger audience in 33 years not exactly milking the franchise.
  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 21:25:31 7,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ecu:
    Agree that it was disappointing but watchable...It's more the difference between what could have been and what we got that disappointed me rather than just what we got...

    There were some glaring errors in there though that could have been easily avoided, but as I said in the film review thread the medpod scene is indeed a fantastically intense and well accomplished scene...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 21:38:58 18,453 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @ecu:
    Agree that it was disappointing but watchable...It's more the difference between what could have been and what we got that disappointed me rather than just what we got...
    I thought the whole premise for the film was brilliant - creations seeking answers/revelation from their creators. A mysterious substance that creates or destroys.

    And then they mix it up with a Road Movie script. Terrible.
  • Jeepers 9 Oct 2012 22:04:23 13,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only just seen it. It was a bit silly.
  • neems 10 Oct 2012 00:15:06 1,251 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was really enjoying it up until the point where it became a monster movie. I literally cannot think of anything else to say about it.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Oct 2012 07:17:44 24,562 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A monster movie? Isn't Alien a monster movie too?

    Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2012 07:45:33 60,134 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    See, a bit like Kal, they really didn't bother me so much. There was nothing about this film that I hated and I think most of this mass outpouring of vitriol is internet hysteria based.

    I said it pages and pages ago, but Prometheus could never, ever live up to the hype.
    I know you do. And I genuinely think you both believe it.

    But in actual fact it's just not very good. And the assumption that the backlash against is because those who believe that are somehow indoctrinated by the poisonous interwebs is worthy of inclusion in a Prometheus sequel itself.
    Replace the word 'prometheus' with 'oculus rift' for an idea of how much of a lepper you have been in this thread.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Trowel 10 Oct 2012 07:49:20 17,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    A monster movie? Isn't Alien a monster movie too?
    Quiet you fool. Next you'll be suggesting that crawling around a ventilation shaft by yourself or running off to find a cat was anything but a brilliant decision by the crew. Almost as though these irrational decisions are fundamental to the audience experience of horror movies.
  • neilka 10 Oct 2012 08:53:14 16,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon David knows his way around a shaft too.

    Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

  • neems 10 Oct 2012 09:05:18 1,251 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    A monster movie? Isn't Alien a monster movie too?
    It is, but the crucial distinction is that it's a good monster movie. Whereas Prometheus seemed to be pretty decent Sci-fi, and then turned into a very silly monster movie.

    Edited by neems at 09:19:11 10-10-2012
  • kalel 10 Oct 2012 09:16:27 87,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    See, a bit like Kal, they really didn't bother me so much. There was nothing about this film that I hated and I think most of this mass outpouring of vitriol is internet hysteria based.

    I said it pages and pages ago, but Prometheus could never, ever live up to the hype.
    I know you do. And I genuinely think you both believe it.

    But in actual fact it's just not very good. And the assumption that the backlash against is because those who believe that are somehow indoctrinated by the poisonous interwebs is worthy of inclusion in a Prometheus sequel itself.
    Christ you're like an overtired 5 year old when you don't agree with people.

    There's no suggestion of indoctrination. Some people like it, some people don't. The things that bothered the people that didn't like it don't bother the people that do. End of.
  • themanfromdelmonte 10 Oct 2012 19:48:02 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    See, a bit like Kal, they really didn't bother me so much. There was nothing about this film that I hated and I think most of this mass outpouring of vitriol is internet hysteria based.

    I said it pages and pages ago, but Prometheus could never, ever live up to the hype.
    I know you do. And I genuinely think you both believe it.

    But in actual fact it's just not very good. And the assumption that the backlash against is because those who believe that are somehow indoctrinated by the poisonous interwebs is worthy of inclusion in a Prometheus sequel itself.
    Christ you're like an overtired 5 year old when you don't agree with people.

    There's no suggestion of indoctrination. Some people like it, some people don't. The things that bothered the people that didn't like it don't bother the people that do. End of.
    There is, ya'know.

    I think most of this mass outpouring of vitriol is internet hysteria based.
    Right there.
  • kalel 10 Oct 2012 19:54:31 87,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's not a suggestion of indoctrination.

    Look, some things are worth debating, but nobody will ever convince someone they enjoyed a film they didn't, and vice versa. There's been hysteria and vitriol on both sides and it's all equally retarded. If people don't like it and think its shit, then cool. If someone tells me that my opinion that it's a good film is "wrong" then they are a cunt.
  • Lukus 10 Oct 2012 20:01:23 19,143 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • bad09 10 Oct 2012 20:05:12 5,954 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are you saying the quality or finer points of a film are not worth debating Kalel? Are you saying it's pointless to discuss what liked or disliked or your general feelings about a film with someone who disagrees? Doesn't that make coming to a thread about a film kinda pointless with that attitude? Are we all here to just read "I like it" or "I hate it"?

    I still think it's an utter turd of a movie but coming here and discussing those views with the guys that did like it at least gives me something to think about (hell talking about the thing was certainly more interesting than watching it!).
  • themanfromdelmonte 10 Oct 2012 20:12:00 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    That's not a suggestion of indoctrination.

    It is. While not necessarily indoctrination into having the opinion, indoctrination into the practice of voicing that opinion. Hence "Internet hysteria."

    I'm completely with you on your second paragraph, I think it's shit. But if someone else likes it, fine.

    But saying that the vitriol is internet hysteria based. Is clearly an accusation that the detractors are going along with the crowd.
  • kalel 10 Oct 2012 20:18:17 87,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Are you saying the quality or finer points of a film are not worth debating Kalel? Are you saying it's pointless to discuss what liked or disliked or your general feelings about a film with someone who disagrees? Doesn't that make coming to a thread about a film kinda pointless with that attitude? Are we all here to just read "I like it" or "I hate it"?

    I still think it's an utter turd of a movie but coming here and discussing those views with the guys that did like it at least gives me something to think about (hell talking about the thing was certainly more interesting than watching it!).
    Discuss the movie all you like. The thread shouldn't just be a list of dispassionate yay or nay type responded. Again though, some patronising fuck tells that while he accepts that I believe it's a good film, he in fact knows better, and I'm wrong, then I will again identify him for the cunt that he is.
  • kalel 10 Oct 2012 20:19:37 87,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    themanfromdelmonte wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    That's not a suggestion of indoctrination.

    It is. While not necessarily indoctrination into having the opinion, indoctrination into the practice of voicing that opinion. Hence "Internet hysteria."

    I'm completely with you on your second paragraph, I think it's shit. But if someone else likes it, fine.

    But saying that the vitriol is internet hysteria based. Is clearly an accusation that the detractors are going along with the crowd.
    Mmmm maybe. Anyway, I certainly didn't mention indoctrination, so again, silent bob can fuck off, which is really all I'm saying.
  • bad09 10 Oct 2012 20:47:06 5,954 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

    Discuss the movie all you like. The thread shouldn't just be a list of dispassionate yay or nay type responded. Again though, some patronising fuck tells that while he accepts that I believe it's a good film, he in fact knows better, and I'm wrong, then I will again identify him for the cunt that he is.
    I see where you are coming to be fair you could say it's almost like a pat on the head and "yes, yes it's good now off and play you silly scamp" but that's really what opinion is all about, he thinks you are wrong and saying so. Of course neither is "right" realistically but that's the fun of discussing/debating/arguing/bitching. I've been told I'm wrong on many things either here or out in the world, it's all part of the discussion...but then I like a good debate/argument so things like that rarely upset me I'm more "if you think I'm wrong convince me or I'll convince you YOU'RE wrong!".

    Though I will say I find a simple "we'll agree to disagree then" works just as well when I think people are wrong only without being openly patronising :)

    Edited by bad09 at 20:48:44 10-10-2012
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2012 17:31:29 23,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I dunno. I stand by my comment. If the internet didn't exist at the time of Prometheus' release, there would never have been the outpouring of satirical videos, or the hostility present towards it in forums and message boards across the globe.

    There wouldn't have been such hate-fuelled debates about it down the local pub either.

    I don't give two shits whether the majority love it, or hate it. I think it's a good film with some pretty big problems, but not big enough to justify hatred, or the title of "WORST FILM EVAAAAAA!!!11!!!1!".

    For me, it's a beautiful mess and I'll watch it a few more times I'm sure and enjoy again in the future.

    Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:35:00 11-10-2012

    www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

  • Maturin 11 Oct 2012 17:46:54 3,029 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree with you Bob. It's the same with anything post-internet. Someone might not like something - legitimately - but will then find many more reasons to not like something, stuff they never saw themselves, but will now use to back up their argument. Without the net they may have just had one point. They'll justify their dislike of a movie with many points that didn't occur to them while watching. The internet means every frame of film exists as ammunition in a two-sided billion-a-team flamefest as folks do the same for stuff they like.

    Characters in Alien and Aliens make some pretty stupid decisions. But back then there weren't thousands of people combined online to find every nitpick. I don't think we'll ever have movies as universally loved ever again.

    I'm not suggesting Prometheus is worthy of such adoration as Alien. But there's no way Alien, Aliens and for that matter Star Wars would have got past the cynical internet generation unscathed if released today. Bunch of miserable sods. :)

    Edited by Maturin at 17:47:46 11-10-2012
  • Whizzo 11 Oct 2012 17:57:04 43,151 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pre-internet society would have found the idea that someone who controls a high tech 3D mapping system would get lost pretty fucking stupid.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Page

    of 116 First / Last

Log in or register to reply