Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 97

  • Page

    of 116 First / Last

  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 00:38:15 18,267 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I agree. Sounds like a lot of the stuff that doesn't make sense was because the alien references were removed and they shoe-horned the new goo where an alien egg/facehugger would have gone.

    Although he's responsible for the dumb Fyfield thing.
    I think I actually prefer the direction they took - it's a lot more interesting. Shame it wasn't better constructed and better written.
  • Bremenacht 9 Oct 2012 00:51:17 18,267 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    That said, Ocean's link does sound good. I always thought that David would set things up more, particularly after his comment concerning children wanting their parents dead.
    It sounds like a variation on the existing films - 'Alien: Origins' - which to me seems a lot more uninteresting than the grand idea they had with the black goo and human origins. It would probably have been another 'wait for the rental' for me, as all Alien films have been for me post-'Aliens'. Incidentally, that hat-headed Alien in that link looked horrible. Properly nightmarish.

    Hey! Here's an idea - maybe that black goo at the beginning did work, and created the hugely successful and increasingly large-headed species called 'humans'. It'd explain why the engineer sought to kill everyone at the end: it'd have recognised the crew as evolved weapons. (Or has that idea been done already?)
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 08:47:13 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just saw it last night. Thought it was really good. Enjoyed it a huge amount.

    Having read through a bit of this thread I think I can a general sense of the issues, and I suppose I can see where most are coming from, but none really bothered me during the film at all.

    I thought it was better than Aliens in fact *DEEP GASP*!
  • Benno 9 Oct 2012 09:04:48 9,900 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Took you a while to see it?
  • Benno 9 Oct 2012 09:05:12 9,900 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And I enjoyed it too, but still prefer the originals
  • Maturin 9 Oct 2012 11:10:08 3,000 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any of you listened to the Ridley Scott commentary?

    I've really enjoyed his commentaries on all the movies of his I own. Looking forward to the Prometheus one now my BR has just arrived in the post.
  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 11:27:39 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel:
    Different genres entirely...

    And you're wrong... :)

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 11:36:23 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're not allowed to compare films in the same series to each other then you're not allowed to compare anything.

    Anyway, you can compare anything to anything. Milkshakes are better than AIDS. Blowjobs are better than gravel. etc.
  • neilka 9 Oct 2012 11:39:16 15,946 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /looks up from handful of gravel

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 11:39:54 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know I know, I meant one is an action film the other more a horror type affair...

    And they're not the same series...One is Prometheus, the other Alien...
    They are quite obviously set in the same universe...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 11:40:21 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are the same series.
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 11:41:37 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No they are not :)
  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 11:43:06 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, cause they called it Alien 0 or something didn't they?
    They deliberately moved away from the Alien franchise while keeping it in the same universe...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 11:44:03 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unless you consider Prometheus a reboot (which I suppose it could be) then yes, they are the same series.

    Not really got much else to add to this fairly pointless semantic discussion.
  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 11:46:57 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I consider it another story in the same universe, so not part of the Alien series...
    By your reasoning the merest mention of that Blade Runner bit a few pages back means it's the same series as Blade Runner too?

    It's not 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon you know? They gave it a different name for a reason...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 11:49:33 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All joking aside I don't think you can say it's part of the same series much like AvP isn't part of the series. It uses elements of the universe but is not related to the films in any way. As AcidSnake (and the article on the previous page) says they wanted to distance it from aliens as it's own franchise.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 11:49:50 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can consider it to be whatever you want to be, I don't care.

    Your understanding of my "reasoning" is worryingly wrong though.

    I take it you feel all James Bond films are unconnected due to their titling convention?
  • Blakester 9 Oct 2012 11:56:08 3,618 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    All joking aside I don't think you can say it's part of the same series much like AvP isn't part of the series. It uses elements of the universe but is not related to the films in any way. As AcidSnake (and the article on the previous page) says they wanted to distance it from aliens as it's own franchise.
    Eh?

    AvP isn't part of the series? Isn't related to the films in any way?

    Apart from the alien in it of course...

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 11:56:22 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My understanding of your reasoning?

    James Bond is the same guy appearing in all the films (though some theories exist about it being a different guy with 'James Bond' being a codename)...Spy vs bad guy...
    Prometheus shares the Space Jockey (redefining it from 'huge elephant-like alien creature' to 'guy in suit'), the name of a corporation and the derelict spacecraft design...That's it...
    Alien is about Ellen Ripley VS black horrible bastard alien...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 11:59:05 87,687 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Prometheus shares the Space Jockey (redefining it from 'huge elephant-like alien creature' to 'guy in suit'), the name of a corporation and the derelict spacecraft design...That's it...
    LOL, that really really isn't it. Aside from ignoring all the similarities in the plots, the characters, the design, the characters etc, you're also ignoring the not insignificant final scene.

    Anyway, believe whatever you want, I really don't care. I've got better thing to do than argue with someone who thinks black is white.
  • Youthist 9 Oct 2012 12:00:18 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prometheus is not part of the Alien "deck" of films IMO. It is not part of the Alien series of films. It is not a prequel or a sequel or anything else. They do however share DNA of course. Comparing the films is of course a completely reasonable and expected thing that any one would do / has done that has seen those films. And of course has reached the conclusion that Prometheus is a league or more below both Alien and Aliens.

    Edited by Youthist at 12:00:42 09-10-2012

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 12:03:19 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're stating it as if it's a matter of fact, no discussion possible...
    Happens quite often with you too...Never mind then...

    Just know you're wrong about Aliens... :)

    EDIT: @kalel

    Edited by AcidSnake at 12:04:00 09-10-2012

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 12:08:24 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That final scene doesn't tie it to the series and make it an aliens movie (personally I see it as a simple nod to alien as it's so forced and out of place). By that reasoning AvP is part of aliens for having aliens in it, which it isn't of course.

    Even Scott said once if I remember correctly isn't wasn't really a prequel anymore and changed to something else. It's a movie set in that universe that borrow heavily from Alien and uses creatures from that movie. At one time that wasn't the case sure and it was supposed to be Alien canon and part of the series but that changed, thanks to the studio it seems.
  • thefilthandthefury 9 Oct 2012 12:10:35 25,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assumed that when things 'changed' it just meant that it wasn't a direct prequel anymore (as in, it doesn't lead up to the events of the first film directly) but was still a movie set in the same universe.

    Edited by thefilthandthefury at 12:13:03 09-10-2012
  • ecureuil 9 Oct 2012 12:10:40 76,812 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Prometheus is not part of the Alien "deck" of films IMO. It is not part of the Alien series of films. It is not a prequel or a sequel or anything else. They do however share DNA of course. Comparing the films is of course a completely reasonable and expected thing that any one would do / has done that has seen those films. And of course has reached the conclusion that Prometheus is a league or more below both Alien and Aliens.
    I know they've tried to distance it, but how is it NOT a prequel? It's the origin story of the xenomorphs, it's supposed to be canon. It's a prequel as far as I'm concerned. Plus it almost feels like a remake of Alien at times.
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 12:17:14 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote: It's the origin story of the xenomorphs, it's supposed to be canon.
    I don't think it is an "origin" story, it gives you nothing about LV426 or why the aliens are there on the ship and the aliens are also referenced before that final scene in the wall mural so the "creation" thing at the end is nonsense.

    Edited by bad09 at 12:18:03 09-10-2012
  • oceanmotion 9 Oct 2012 12:30:31 15,945 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yea, what the hell was that about then, with the Queen mural. Guess the Xenomorphs did exist before.

    Apparently the planet was suppose to be LV426 but they changed it last minute like other parts of the film so it wouldn't resemble Alien as much.

    Edited by oceanmotion at 12:31:31 09-10-2012
  • bad09 9 Oct 2012 12:38:25 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah think that's the problem it was planned as an origin story and morphed to something else.

    It is supposedly going to be a trilogy though so maybe they'll do a Star Wars prequel job and have three films not really much to do with the source other than characters then do a half arsed job of linking to the two series at the end :)
  • ecureuil 9 Oct 2012 12:41:45 76,812 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't mean the alien at the end was the very first xenomorph. The black liquid creates the alien/rapid evolution, I think it's a fair assumption that the engineers had tested it on themselves and knew what it was, which is probably why they'd stashed the stuff away on a moon, far away from their home planet. From the mural on the wall I think we can rule it out of being an experiment gone wrong since they've deified the alien, so they're probably quite proud of their creation. Until it fucked them up, I guess. The captain of the ship says the black stuff/containers was a bioweapon that got out of control. Not sure how he'd know this, but I think we're supposed to take that line as being true.
  • AcidSnake 9 Oct 2012 13:19:27 7,272 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I believe the original idea of Alien was that something dragged the Space Jockey ship over a cave which contained the Alien eggs (hence that huge wide shot being possible of thousands of eggs)...
    To me it always looked like the space jockeys found Aliens then quickly sent a guy to the transmitter to say "stay the hell away from here"...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Page

    of 116 First / Last

Log in or register to reply