Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 6

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• ronuds 7 Sep 2010 20:12:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know of any prequels which were released years after the fact being good?

They're probably yet another in a long line of "rehashed movies that don't need to be made" trying to cash in on the current 3D craze. Is this even in 3d? Has to be.

It's nice watching 3D implode on itself, though.
  • M83J01P97 7 Sep 2010 20:14:12 6,553 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was an article in Total Film a few months ago that blamed Scott's process of film making for the below par material he has been dishing out over the past few years.

He basically buys up the rights to lots and lots of different films and then puts them all into early pre-production, so while he is making one film, he will be overseeing production design on another film, while caster another entirely different film, and also adapting a screenplay for something else... he throws himself into too many different projects at one time and as a result, his films suffer because even one hasn't had the 100% dedication that his early classics all enjoyed.

It's something Spielberg has admitted to doing on a few occasions, but he claims to have kicked the habit and only has one or two films in extensive production at a time.

Edit: A little something to back up the above.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2010 20:15:13
    Alien is dark so why bother with the lets the dim the picture even more 3D.

Alien and Jaws were scary because you never really got to see the monsters. thats something the sequels for both films forgot. Why bother with 3D will it add anything???

Predicts chest burster blasting out at screen in 3D...................groans how original
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2010 20:18:39 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll wait to see what they do with the 3D before condemning it.
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 20:21:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So it is in 3D?

HAHA!
  • rock27gr 7 Sep 2010 21:27:06 5,560 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    WARNING THIS FILM IS GONNA BE DIRECTED BY RIDLEY SCOTT

For every good film he does at least 3 shite ones. Since Black Hawk down hes been over teh place in terms of quality: Matchtsick Men, Body of Lies, American Gangster, A Good year, Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood none of them I would classify as Brilliant.

"A good year" was an excellent film, and if I remember correctly "Matchstick Men" was quite fun too. Robin Hood was well filmed too, though it did feel like being set ip for a trilogy or something. I certainly wouldn't call him a has been Director based on these films.
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2010 21:27:51 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    So it is in 3D?

HAHA!

I don't know, everyone else was talking about it so I was following that lead.
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 21:39:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here you go... I wiki'd the crap out of it.

Roger Christian, art director on the first Alien, speculated that the films will be shot in 3-D,[27] which was eventually confirmed by Ridley Scott.

I say again: HAHA!
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2010 21:40:52 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why "haha" though? I don't really see a problem. I quite like the idea of it, actually.
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 21:45:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was saying before how a lot of movies that have been long-since forgotten are coming back strictly so they can be in 3D.

Resident Evil being the best example I can think of. 3D is not a reason to bring back a dead franchise.

Also... Nelson...
  • neilka 7 Sep 2010 21:46:50 15,683 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gemma better get her 3Ds out.
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2010 21:47:52 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Resident Evil wasn't a dead franchise, there was always going to be another, 3D or not.

If 3D's what it takes to bring them back, I'm happy with that. I've always wanted another Alien movie cause 3 and Resurrection were poor, and I still think the franchise has a lot to offer - if done properly.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2010 21:49:04
    ronuds wrote:
    I was saying before how a lot of movies that have been long-since forgotten are coming back strictly so they can be in 3D.

Resident Evil being the best example I can think of. 3D is not a reason to bring back a dead franchise.

Also... Nelson...

This was in production (or at least pre-production) long before the current 3D fad.
  • beastmaster 7 Sep 2010 21:50:50 11,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Gemma better get her 3Ds out.

LOL. Apparently her agent has denied this now.

I really don't know what to make of it. Especially the 3D. If Scott hits form then it's all win.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ronuds 7 Sep 2010 21:51:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Resident Evil wasn't a dead franchise, there was always going to be another, 3D or not.

If 3D's what it takes to bring them back, I'm happy with that. I've always wanted another Alien movie cause 3 and Resurrection were poor, and I still think the franchise has a lot to offer - if done properly.

Well, you're a lot more optimistic than I then. I don't think these will be any good. I've seen too many of this kind of thing fail miserably.

Also, Judge Dredd now in 3D. Tell me that isn't a cash-in!
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Sep 2010 21:52:02 23,390 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3D doesn't mean stuff flying out at you. Look at Avatar. It's hardly My Bloody Valentine.

The Alien franchise has two great films, one mediocre and one poor. Why worry about making a crap film now?

My look back at one of the best sequels ever: Uncharted 2.

• oceanmotion 7 Sep 2010 21:52:06 15,678 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably wants her for the voice over at the start. Like that shitfest Clash of the Titans.
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 22:04:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    3D doesn't mean stuff flying out at you. Look at Avatar. It's hardly My Bloody Valentine.

I understand. I've seen the "new" 3D. I'm not poking fun at 3D, just all of these films we thought were dead coming back, seemingly just so they can be in 3D and we'll pay more to see them... again. It's probably good for the studios because I doubt it costs much more to put a film in 3D, and they make a lot more per ticket sold. We're all sheep! I think it'll get to the point where it implodes on itself, though. In time, it'll be nothing new or special.

Another example: Step Up 2 Teh Streets: 3D.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2010 22:06:09
    Lets come up with the new slogan for th film. the previous are:

Alien "In space no one can hear you scream"
    Aliens "This time its War"
    Alien 3 "the bitch is back"
    Alien Ressurection "Witness the Ressurection"
    AVP " Whoever wins we lose"
    AVP:R "This fim was deemed to be so fucking shit it didnt get a slogan WTF"

• ronuds 7 Sep 2010 22:09:20 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AVP:R "Now with that 2nd little alien mouth flying at you... IN 3D!"
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Sep 2010 22:10:57 23,390 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I understand. I've seen the "new" 3D. I'm not poking fun at 3D, just all of these films we thought were dead coming back, seemingly just so they can be in 3D and we'll pay more to see them... again. It's probably good for the studios because I doubt it costs much more to put a film in 3D, and they make a lot more per ticket sold. We're all sheep! I think it'll get to the point where it implodes on itself, though. In time, it'll be nothing new or special.

I do agree that there's been a flurry of cash in jobs for 3D, such as Clash and Airbender, and a whole bunch of films where I didn't think it made any difference, such as Toy Story.

I'm hoping that if it is 3D, it's properly filmed in 3D and isn't some hack job like so many others. I'd love another good Alien movie, its dark sci fi is very appealing to me, and if 3D is done well it could be neat.

If it's a rush job though...

• CosmicFuzz 7 Sep 2010 22:11:34 23,390 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    AVP:R "Now with that 2nd little alien mouth flying at you... IN 3D!"

ALI3D

• ronuds 7 Sep 2010 22:14:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I do agree that there's been a flurry of cash in jobs for 3D, such as Clash and Airbender, and a whole bunch of films where I didn't think it made any difference, such as Toy Story.

I'm hoping that if it is 3D, it's properly filmed in 3D and isn't some hack job like so many others. I'd love another good Alien movie, its dark sci fi is very appealing to me, and if 3D is done well it could be neat.

I mean, we're talking about possibly one of the greatest horror sci-fi flicks ever made. It'll never live up. I hope it does as much as the next guy, but it won't. :p

I'll still see it, but I doubt I'll have my fingers covering my eyes like with the 1st! :D
  • beastmaster 7 Sep 2010 22:14:42 11,205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    With the exception of Avatar (although I've not seen Toy Story 3 yet) I really don't think the quality of the 3D has been that good. I saw Avatar on IMAX so I think that made a massive difference.

Alien prequel. 3D. IMAX. Hmm...

Edit: It's not just one movie either. It's 2. So, it'll probably be filmed back-to-back and end in a cliffhanger.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• drumbaby 7 Sep 2010 22:20:03 2,688 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How to Train Your Dragon had great 3D....V good film too.
  • Tomo 7 Sep 2010 22:21:39 13,882 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I'm really looking forward to this. It certainly can't be any worse than the AvP films. I lap up anything Aliens, the third and fourth films included... although Resurrection teetered on almost being too bad for even my tastes in Alien films.

And I welcome it being turned into a 3D film. Be gone naysayers!
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 22:23:09 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did Ridley Scott do the AvPs, too?

Please say no.
    Please say no.
    Please say no.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2010 22:27:23
    ronuds wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I mean, we're talking about possibly one of the greatest horror sci-fi flicks ever made. It'll never live up. I hope it does as much as the next guy, but it won't. :p

I'll still see it, but I doubt I'll have my fingers covering my eyes like with the 1st! :D

Agree Some things you just don't mess with Alien is one of them.

Ridley must be desperate for a hit to get behind this.
  • Latin 7 Sep 2010 22:31:03 3,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These are going to be shit... If they turn out like Episodes 1-3 I'm gonna go to hollywood and detonate a dirty nuke myself.
  • ronuds 7 Sep 2010 22:31:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it gets to the point where it's a farce. You know, "let's expand on the story because people need more aliens."

No we don't. I liked Alien how it was: some mysterious hate-driven breed of super creatures who ate or impregnated everything in their path. What else do I "need" to know about the aliens - that they're really very good at knitting and in general being pleasant to their neighbors and friends?

It's only going to ruin what I thought of the original. Well, maybe not ruin, but severly tarnish!
  • Page

of 116 First / Last