Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 27

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 February 2013 14:34:12
    Well I've never played uncharted and when I watched video reviews it didn't appeal.

So uncharted has puzzles, tombs, combat etc? So doesn't that make uncharted tomb raider and not the other way round?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Feb 2013 14:36:47 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The puzzles in uncharted are far more simple than tomb raider 1 was.

If you don't like the videos of its action sequences, the game probably won't surprise you imo.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:37:20 27-02-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 Feb 2013 14:37:33 35,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    While it does look a lot like Uncharted, TR is the last franchise I would blame for doing so. When UC came out, everyone was saying it's a lot like a TR game.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Feb 2013 14:38:25 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    So uncharted has puzzles, tombs, combat etc? So doesn't that make uncharted tomb raider and not the other way round?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Humperfunk 27 Feb 2013 14:39:45 1,930 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This game is my game of the year already. Like everyone slagging it off, I haven't played it either, but the butthurt is hilarious!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Aretak 27 Feb 2013 14:43:17 10,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Well I've never played uncharted and when I watched video reviews it didn't appeal.

The thing that set Uncharted apart from the Tomb Raider series is that Uncharted was a good game. At least the first one was. I thought UC2 was shit and still haven't bothered playing the third one.
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 14:56:58 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weird. The first Uncharted was just a far less varied version of the second one, with worse combat and more zombies. You're literally the only person I know who preferred it to the second one.
  • MetalDog 27 Feb 2013 14:59:34 23,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't like UC2 as much either, but UC3, I loved - mostly for the story and sense of action rather than the mechanics, though. Certainly, Uncharted's puzzles leave much to be desired. One of the things I like about the games are listening to the characters making snarky comments to each other - that's gameplay free enjoyment though.

Uncharted basically took Tomb Raider and turned it into an action Indiana Jones movie minus Indy. TR following down that path instead of focusing on its original strengths with the puzzles, lonely clambering through diverse and interesting territory and occasional heart-stopping encounters - I think that would be a mistake and would leave TR playing 'catch up' against Uncharted.

Mind you I gave up on TR after the second one where it got a lot more shooty and a lot less thinky anyway.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• L_Franko Moderator 27 Feb 2013 15:01:56 9,694 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Weird. The first Uncharted was just a far less varied version of the second one, with worse combat and more zombies. You're literally the only person I know who preferred it to the second one.
    I enjoyed the first one but got bored of the second one about halfway through and gave up never to return.
    Not touched the third one.
  • Humperfunk 27 Feb 2013 15:04:05 1,930 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thought the first one was pretty poor, for the reasons kalel said. Took me about three years of on and off playing to get round to finishing it.

Played Uncharted 2 and 3 pretty much back to back over Christmas last year, incredible games.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 15:04:53 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tomb Raider 1+2+3 were the best. They were great in for their time. The thing is that they should have improved the exploration and climbing mechanic give it some gameplay depth - some endurance thing like Shadow of the Colossus or something - and make the puzzles interesting again.

Can't speak for the newest entries in the Tomb Raider series but the ones in Uncharted were way too simple. Everything in one room, at one glance, even the just try random stuff approach works to solve them.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:05:30 27-02-2013
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 15:24:03
    I just checked metacritic to see what all this anti tomb raider fuss is about.

Um it is 88 which is f ing high with shed loads of glowing reviews. Bit random then all the posts on here in uproar like the game is about 55 on metacritic.

Edited by Pepsipop at 15:24:25 27-02-2013
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 15:36:50 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To keep on banging on about whether it is a good game or not is (yet again) totally and utterly missing the point of what the issue people have with it is.
  • kinky_mong 27 Feb 2013 15:41:24 9,958 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The uproar is because a load of old Tomb Raider fans are upset that the series isn't like the Tomb Raider of old.

Personally I always thought Tomb Raider was a load of clunky dull bollocks so I couldn't be happier that this reboot is getting loads of critical praise. I might start nourishing on the tears of the whingers soon.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• kalel 27 Feb 2013 15:42:01 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But it got a good score herp derp....
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 15:42:45 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    The uproar is because a load of old Tomb Raider fans are upset that the series isn't like the Tomb Raider of old.
    That's kinda missing the point as well tbh, although less so.
  • kinky_mong 27 Feb 2013 15:44:56 9,958 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    That's kinda missing the point as well tbh, although less so.
    Nope.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 15:45:00 58,784 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shush you. IQ of 159, remember?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 15:47:02 58,784 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I totally agree with Kalel in that it is a shame that these unique games have all been splodged into one amophous third person blob.

I really would have liked to see CD have the balls to make a Tomb Raider game, something centered around climbing around temples and jumping off waterfalls but they clearly thought something like that wouldnt sell and, sadly, they are probably right.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 27 February 2013 15:48:47
    The critics who have rated it 88 are also gamers, they are also gamers who have most likely played the old tomb raider games. Yet they felt fit to almost universally praise it.

So perhaps all the moaners who haven't played it yet are the ones missing the point.
  • MatMan562 27 Feb 2013 15:51:10 2,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've pre-ordered this but I'll be saving it for my birthday the week after. What I really want though, more than this game and more than a new Tomb Raider like the old ones, is a sequel to Guardian of Light. I loved that game. My sister's boyfriend and I were top of the leaderboards for a good month or so after release on that.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 15:53:43 58,784 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    The critics who have rated it 88 are also gamers, they are also gamers who have most likely played the old tomb raider games. Yet they felt fit to almost universally praise it.

So perhaps all the moaners who haven't played it yet are the ones missing the point.
    You are missing the point, you idiot. No one is complaining about the game itself, just that its a shame its not longer a tomb raider game as we remember the series, because its gameplay was unique.

He totally called it

• kalel 27 Feb 2013 15:54:08 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

I'd have thought the last post about you missing the point might have led to you thinking what the point might be, as opposed to you missing the point again even more dramatically.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 15:55:10 58,784 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IQ of 159, utter cretin.

A puzzle wrapped in an enigma.

He totally called it

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Feb 2013 15:57:29 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think, paradoxically the fact that the original tomb raider engine broke the world down into a simpler fixed grid with uniformed dimensions it allowed the developer to make deeper cause and effect architectural puzzles in a way that non uniform modern games can't.

Dunno.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 15:58:07 27-02-2013
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:01:45
    The gameplay might still be unique, it still has tombs. It still is an adventure game and is about survival and rescuing your friends. I didn't play uncharted but that was totally different yes?

I might end up hating tomb raider and say it is exactly like some other 3rd person games I have played but the reviews on Eg and edge haven't made me have a paddy that it isn't tomb raider. Everyone so negative.

I love the old tomb raider games but the series has evolved and is not yet know if it has its own identity, will find out next week.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Feb 2013 16:02:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm looking forward to it too.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 16:05:18
    People who want the same sequels every year need to wake up. Just play the old games. Titles need to evolve or they die.

The black keys, one of my favourite bands, have evolved and become popular. Now whilst I much prefer their old music they have evolved and changed styles and with that remain fresh and keep gaining new fans. If they just kept making their first few albums over and over it would be terribly dull.
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 16:06:58 86,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More and then yet more missing of the point. This is getting quite spectacular now.
  • Page

of 77 First / Last