Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 17

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 14:52:12 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    "so far away from a tomb raider game"

People really do want the same old stuff repeated over and over.
    I enjoy the environmental puzzles and feeling of isolation you got with the old Tomb Raider games. You against the ancients and their devious puzzles going for their treasure.

I'm sure they had to reinvent some aspects in order to appeal to the COD & Uncharted crowds to appease the shareholders but the direction this game has taken and the utter, utter garbage the PR people have thrown at us has soured me about the whole game.

So yes, i'd bloody love it if they were capable of putting together an old-school Tomb Raider experience as i'm really not that attracted to Uncharted. I'm sure this reboot will be a good Uncharted clone but that just means i'll pick it up in a sale later on in the year.

If it was like an updated old-school Tomb Raider game without the ham-fisted story then i'd be there day 1 but so far their PR has shown nothing of the sort.

Lara used to be a strong, intelligent and independent woman now they've turned her into some kind of nutjob. Weak and forlorn in the cutscenes and an unrepentant killing machine in the gameplay. It just doesn't fit especially after harping on about how they were adding story and a reason to care about Lara. Heavy handed and ill-placed.

Lara.
    An Environment.
    Exploration.
    Puzzles.
    Treasure.
    Isolation.

Give me that and i'll buy your Tomb Raider game.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Cappy 25 Feb 2013 15:04:10 11,885 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first time I tried a Tomb Raider game (Tomb Raider 2), my first impressions were;

There's a lot of shooting, tigers, guards etc. It wasn't for me so I never got to find out if there was another entirely different game of solitude and exploration later on. I suspect fans are building up prior releases in the series as something they were not via selective hindsight.

Let's face it Tomb Raider fans will buy any old shit, so why start pretending that you have high standards now.
  • AccidentProne 25 Feb 2013 15:05:00 1,159 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Review up on the front page now.
  • jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 15:05:35 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Reboot has got a 9.1 from IGN apparently.

• HarryPalmer 25 Feb 2013 15:05:59 3,200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Edge review
  • jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 15:07:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, so they kept the paranormal bits then. I thought they'd be the first to get dumped.

• jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 15:10:31 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like a decent Uncharted. I'll probably pick it up in the summer but the one room physics puzzle tombs don't sound great and everything you do is to get XP not treasure. Great :(

So a good game but bleh, not one that grabs me.

• jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 15:11:59 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy Shouldn't you have said:
    Let's face it Tomb Raider fans will buy any old shit, so why start pretending that they have high standards now.
    Fixed that because i'm not all the Tomb Raider fans, mate.

• Humperfunk 25 Feb 2013 15:29:08 2,072 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The EG review tells us that there is lots of screaming in the first hour, and that there are collectibles. Amongst the painful attempts at humour, looks like I'm actually going to have to read an IGN review to see what this reboot is actually like.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• djronz. 25 Feb 2013 17:39:03 266 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    The first time I tried a Tomb Raider game (Tomb Raider 2), my first impressions were;

There's a lot of shooting, tigers, guards etc. It wasn't for me so I never got to find out if there was another entirely different game of solitude and exploration later on. I suspect fans are building up prior releases in the series as something they were not via selective hindsight.

Let's face it Tomb Raider fans will buy any old shit, so why start pretending that you have high standards now.
    I remember 2 did have a fair bit for combat but nothing like that of uncharted does now.  I love uncharted but i laugh when people call it a tr clone.  It is a very different game to the original tomb raiders but watching videos of this reboot it seems they are now cloning uncharted!

The original tomb Raider beautifully captured the beauty of exploring hidden tombs with only sporadic incidental music and a few bats for company,  why must we constantly be fed this ridiculous over the top bullet Time action bullshit?
      Less is sometimes more imo.
  • King_Edward 25 Feb 2013 18:00:49 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's true that Tomb Raider always had too much combat. After 7 sequels of not fixing it, it shouldn't be too surprising that they were more willing to reboot as a shooter than cut it out.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Feb 2013 18:03:00 25,510 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So this sounds like its basically a 3rd person Far Cry 3. That game got old fast.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 18:04:45
    I actually liked the eg review, was planning to rent but might buy it now.

Good point reviewer makes about pop up unlocks in important moments. It is annoying, same with Xbox achievements, you finally beat the end boss and during the dramatic end sequence you get two achievements popping up.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 18:06:31
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    So this sounds like its basically a 3rd person Far Cry 3. That game got old fast.
    I disliked fc3 and the review didn't sound anything like fc3. It said, great character, interesting story, tombs with puzzles, excellent last few levels, brutal axe kills etc.

That was not fc3
  • kinky_mong 25 Feb 2013 18:15:05 10,098 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Agree with the first sentence, totally disagree with the second which means I'm now considering purchasing this next week, even possible trading MGR in for it.

Funnily enough another reboot that had fanboys in a rage over changes has been my favourite game this year so far (that's DmC) so hoping this repeats that success.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• StarchildHypocrethes 25 Feb 2013 18:20:20 25,510 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

I disliked fc3 and the review didn't sound anything like fc3. It said, great character, interesting story, tombs with puzzles, excellent last few levels, brutal axe kills etc.

That was not fc3
    Dumped on an island on which you start to murder people who at first you feel bad about before just carrying on aimlessly. Loads of dull side-quests constantly being chucked at you. Pretty island, not much of interest to do. Poor supporting characters. A decent-ish story that loses its focus in amongst loads of pointless fluff. Some quite good combat though.

Sounds quite a lot like Far Cry 3 to me.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 18:25:02
    Hmm your paragraph rings true but so does mine. Still like I said I hated fc3 but cant wait to play this, perhaps because Lara sounds fantastic.
  • King_Edward 25 Feb 2013 18:25:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:

Funnily enough another reboot that had fanboys in a rage over changes has been my favourite game this year so far (that's DmC) so hoping this repeats that success.
    Without repeating the commercial flopping hopefully.
  • King_Edward 25 Feb 2013 18:25:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Hmm your paragraph rings true but so does mine. Still like I said I hated fc3 but cant wait to play this, perhaps because Lara sounds orgasmic.
  • crispyduckman 25 Feb 2013 18:27:15 1,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not happy about the collectibles. I hate the whole collectibles in games thing. Ruined Alan Wake for me and almost ruined Uncharted Golden Abyss. In almost every game now, we're expected to walk in the opposite direction to the story's natural progress so we can dig around under the stairs or in a crate for a fucking thermos while a nuclear bomb is waiting to be defused. FUCK OFF.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Deleted user 25 February 2013 18:30:05
    At least you can ignore them all, like the thermal flasks in Alan wake. It is a poor way to flesh out a game. I don't mind story ones like the pages in Alan wake or the audio files in crysis 3.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Feb 2013 18:31:56 25,510 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just ignore them. They offer nothing.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 18:32:46 86,796 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds ok, but I reserve the right to lament the loss of another unique franchise.

Amazing that Far Cry, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are now comparable games in many respects. Once they were so different. Convergence is not a good thing.
  • jellyhead 25 Feb 2013 18:37:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kalel It is when you're trying to sell to the masses. Play this, it's like all the other games you like!

My only hope is that someone has noticed the vacuum in the genre that the reboot has created and will produce a new IP with the core Tomb Raider gameplay of puzzles, environments, isolation and tomb raiding.

I can but hope.

• Moot_Point 25 Feb 2013 19:03:57 3,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Not happy about the collectibles. I hate the whole collectibles in games thing. Ruined Alan Wake for me and almost ruined Uncharted Golden Abyss. In almost every game now, we're expected to walk in the opposite direction to the story's natural progress so we can dig around under the stairs or in a crate for a fucking thermos while a nuclear bomb is waiting to be defused. FUCK OFF.
    Lol

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• lavalant 25 Feb 2013 19:10:03 1,271 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    @kalel It is when you're trying to sell to the masses. Play this, it's like all the other games you like!

Nothing that can't be fixed with some up your ass DLC, I give it a month before some solitary tombs are announced. 1600pts for return to the Himalayas expansion pack.
  • WinterSnowblind 25 Feb 2013 19:14:57 1,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Unfortunately, after the original game they went the route of trying to play up the amount of action and sex appeal, which is why the original creator quit.

TR2 is by far the worst offender though, things were toned down a bit for the third game and it went back to being a bit more about the exploration and puzzle solving, but only really the original game is regarded as a masterpiece and it absolutely deserves to be.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 19:21:39
    From a female perspective this version of Lara is by far the most appealing, although she could of got a coat at some point but I understand.
  • beastmaster 25 Feb 2013 19:40:03 11,292 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks as though the overall consensus is that it is not shit. A relief.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• King_Edward 25 Feb 2013 19:49:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    From a female perspective this version of Lara is by far the most appealing, although she could of got a coat at some point but I understand.
    Thank you for clearing up the female perspective.
  • Page

of 77 First / Last