Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 2

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 July 2009 13:24:33
    Derblington wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    But I think that's what will make it so appealing ^

I was recently playing the latest Tomb Raider games, completed Underworld which was utterly awful, and then moved onto Anniversary which to be honest was just as bad. I was speaking with a friend the other day who loved early Tomb Raider games and he completely agreed.

It's just so horribly dated now, Tomb Raider Underworld compared to similarish (and older) games like Prince of Persia, Uncharted of God of War... there's not a single thing that Underworld did better than any of these games imo.

A complete reboot is just what the series needed for me, and just from the concept art and brief description above, this is now one of my most keenly awaited games...

Anniversary is far from bad. The mechanics are a little clunky but better than they were. It's the level design and puzzles that are great though, they've never been better than the first 2 games, and combat is so infrequent tat it never grates.

I haven't played Underworld yet, but I don't doubt you're right. The games have been on a downward spiral for years, and, while they jumped up a tad when Crystal Dynamics took over (they have made the movement mechanics far more pleasant), they really do need to put some effort into making the games great again.

But this isn't it, this is making the games something completely different. If this is what you want to play, cool, but then you don't want to play Tomb Raider. Play God of War, or Prince of Persia, or Uncharted, but don't force Tomb Raider to become one, or a mix, of those games, when it was, once upon a time, a great game all of it's own. They could make TR great again, instead they're making it something else.

Imo Underworld is better than Legend, there are levels with quite a bit of combat but for the most part shes only shooting tigers, bats, spiders etc.. no where near as many "goons" as Legend had.
  • Murbal 30 Jul 2009 13:25:51 22,259 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Seems more like something put together by UncleLou.
  • Petrarch 30 Jul 2009 13:26:20 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually liked Underworld, though that was the first time I'd ventured back to the series since TR 2, so I suspect much of my enjoying it came from that fact.

Wasn't so fussed on the DLC packs though.
  • jonsaan 30 Jul 2009 13:26:26 25,352 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just finished Anniversary. An excellent game. But I have to say there is still way too much story guff and boss fighting even in that one. The other levels are fabulous though.

FCUTA!

• gareth886 30 Jul 2009 13:29:48 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks like they are choosing to ignore the repeated calls to focus more on adventure and less on combat.

If they feel the need to include combat, I recommend that they give the current combat mechanics a total overhaul or simply copy Uncharteds combat.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Jul 2009 13:31:03 35,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

Seems more like something put together by UncleLou.

At least you were kind enough not to quote the bits with the "spelling mistakes, terrible sentence structure" etc. ;-)
  • Cappy 30 Jul 2009 13:39:53 11,957 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Additionally, in terms of standard of execution the text and the artwork are miles apart. It all looks pretty fishy.

My guess is the images were grabbed from somewhere, they might even be from a current or past project, the text definitely doesn't fit with it though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Jul 2009 13:43:13 35,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Agreed. If you click through to the original link though, they took the pics down after they were contacted by CD's lawyer...

And Lara with a wooden bow sounds a lot like the text.
  • Cappy 30 Jul 2009 14:10:35 11,957 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, the pictures came first. Then somebody else wrote the text so they correlate to a certain extent.

I'm in awe of Lara being able to find and break a horse on an island supposedly devoid of human inhabitants. There is nothing there that really ties it to any location, Lara doesn't even look particularly youthful as the text suggest, she seems to be about the same age as always.

You'll like my Lara game better. Fast forward 50 years. Lara is trapped in a body ravaged by age, walking with extreme difficulty, no more jumping for you. She hasn't seen her once mighty breasts for years, they sort of trail along the floor behind her. Within the confines of an old people's home there isn't much opportunity for lifting treasures.

Lara now concerns herself with stealing medication to get herself high. Since moral choices are in these days, the game presents you with various opportunities to steal other people's medication, but will you leave them suffering in pain for your own selfish ends?
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 14:52:28
    The Plot - When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hiden of the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strenght, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

Hunt or be hunted - Evade outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.

Survival Action - Brutally attack and defend as you fight to survive through visceral one on one melee combat.

Strategic Weapons - Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow.

Creative Survival - React and adapt to the island by using only that wich you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

Free Movement - Scrale up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid air to land a misderected jump there is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh enviroment of the island.

One Cohesive World - The diverse multi region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather and natural events.

Origin Story - This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.
    That sounds gash. Annoying combat AGAIN. They'll honestly never learn. Shame, and I thought they'd finally had a Eureka moment and clocked the X Factor what the series is missing these days.

/sigh
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 15:10:21
    gareth886 wrote:
    It looks like they are choosing to ignore the repeated calls to focus more on adventure and less on combat.
    There's a yawning, gaping hole in the market, if they would only fill it.

Open world exploration and puzzle-solving, ancient environments and artifacts, minimal combat, if any. Done.
  • ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 17:59:54 76,870 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anniversary was superb, it was so close to how a perfect platform puzzler should be.

Then they went and ramped up the combat in Underworld, after the glowing reviews of Anniversary. Underworld wasn't that bad though, it was a reasonable romp but it had its problems. People really overreact with games. In most peoples eyes, if they're not 10/10 world beaters, they're utter shit. TR Underworld unfairly got lumped in this category. The game looked amazing and did a lot right, it's not a bad game, despite the unnecessary combat.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:01:27
    Sounds a bit shooty for my liking.
  • jonsaan 30 Jul 2009 18:02:18 25,352 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But Anniversary has a shitty boss battle at the end and another one with the crappy head/gorilla thing, not to mention numerous QTE's. Don't get me wrong the core puzzling is superb but it still has some awful bits. As for the story they added about the Scion, it's utter guff.

FCUTA!

• ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 18:07:48 76,870 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    But Anniversary has a shitty boss battle at the end and another one with the crappy head/gorilla thing, not to mention numerous QTE's. Don't get me wrong the core puzzling is superb but it still has some awful bits. As for the story they added about the Scion, it's utter guff.

What head/gorilla thing? The original game ended on a boss, so it was right. But the whole final section was a bit of a disappointment. The game as a whole was really good though.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:08:02
    jonsaan wrote:
    I think this perfectly describes every Tomb Raider ever.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:31:40
    ecureuil wrote:
    Anniversary was superb, it was so close to how a perfect platform puzzler should be.
    It was close, if a little linear, slightly dated in level design and..

jonsaan wrote:
    ..a shitty boss battle at the end and another one with the crappy head/gorilla thing, not to mention numerous QTE's. Don't get me wrong the core puzzling is superb but it still has some awful bits
    Also..

As for the story they added about the Scion, it's utter guff.
    The modern Tomb Raider games could really do with getting rid of the overwrought sci-fi and netherbeings nonsense. Do like older TR's, keep it understated and in the background. Context for the exploring, and nothing more.

ecureuil wrote:
    Underworld wasn't that bad though, it was a reasonable romp but it had its problems. People really overreact with games. In most peoples eyes, if they're not 10/10 world beaters, they're utter shit. TR Underworld unfairly got lumped in this category. The game looked amazing and did a lot right, it's not a bad game, despite the unnecessary combat
    Thought it was alright myself, and at times it hinted at greatness. But the promise faded the longer the game went on (too much combat, bit linear, hokey story, etc).

Yeah, I'm a long time Lara fan from the PS1 days, pretty disenchanted with the whole thing at this stage and how Eidos and/or Crystal Dynamics just don't get it. Last three games have been nice enough, but none of 'em a keeper.
  • Feanor 30 Jul 2009 18:55:44 14,173 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Then they went and ramped up the combat in Underworld, after the glowing reviews of Anniversary. Underworld wasn't that bad though, it was a reasonable romp but it had its problems. People really overreact with games. In most peoples eyes, if they're not 10/10 world beaters, they're utter shit. TR Underworld unfairly got lumped in this category. The game looked amazing and did a lot right, it's not a bad game, despite the unnecessary combat.

Agree 100% about Anniversary. The usual lols at blizeh saying a great game is crap.

Still waiting for Underworld to go on sale on Steam.
  • ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 19:02:48 76,870 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He was only saying it was crap because he was rubbish at it. Opinion invalid.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 23:16:50
    Tomb Raider 1-3 on the PS1 are absolute classics (in my opinion). I was less enamoured with IV, less so with Chronicles, lesser so with Angel of Darkness. The last 3 were alright, but not as good as 1-3.
  • Feanor 30 Jul 2009 23:23:43 14,173 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anniversary was a lot better than TR 2 which had way too much combat.
  • Hunam 30 Jul 2009 23:24:15 20,674 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't like 3 at all.
  • ecureuil 31 Jul 2009 00:05:15 76,870 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 was okay, but they went a bit combat crazy in it. There were still some memorable areas though, particularly India and Antarctica. This was the third game in as many years, and the point where they began to milk it a bit. The originals have aged REALLY badly though, which is why Anniversary is the best one of the lot for me.

Tomb Raider split opinions even when it was at the height of its popularity. Many people disliked the way the world was composed of blocks, and the platforming involved walking to the edge of jumps with R1 held, jumping back, etc. As opposed to a more free platforming experience such as Mario 64. Personally though, I was always a fan of the way Tomb Raider did it. The whole game felt like a puzzle really, so maybe the detractors were looking for the wrong thing in the game. The combat has always been a side point for me, I never disliked it in the way many people did, I just found it a distraction I could do without, but I never felt it was bad. It was easy and uninvolving, but it worked for what it was. Even back then I'd rather have done without.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2009 09:01:04
    /rose tinted glasses on

Memory is a bit hazy - played it way back when on the Dreamcast - but The Last Revelation is what springs to mind when I think what my favourite Tomb Raider experience was.

I recall a really authentic adventure: Lonely exploration across ancient cities and forgotten temples, in search of dusty artifacts and lost relics. Minimal combat situations, leaving an atmosphere of desolation and isolation.

Maybe my memory bank is overselling it, but I do remember really enjoying it at the time, felt like a proper adventure.
  • Machetazo 3 Mar 2010 15:28:41 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty picture - here: http://www.destructoid.com/keighley-rumblings-of-new-tomb-raider-at-gdc-165610.phtm. Lara's "just" an exploring thrill-seeker after all. :)
    As someone who's been knee-deep in GDC appointment scheduling, I should probably mention that... yeah, I shouldn't be talking about this. With GDC just around the corner (that corner being this week, "around the" referring to next), we just might have something Lara-related for you soon enough.
    I like the idea of Lara being more grounded, and relatable, I guess. I hope CD will give us the opportunity to play without all the fantastical (extraneous?) elements. That image hints at so much brilliant potential. :D
  • superflyninja 3 Mar 2010 15:31:51 463 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bah ANOTHER tomb raider without Croft manor to fully explore. Remember locking the butler in the freezer? sigh fun times.

Put away those firey biscuits

• Machetazo 3 Mar 2010 15:35:56 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe Lara does live in a manor but it's nothing like the one we know, perhaps there are elements of the classic still, and maybe instead, she's, um, more like an exchange student that gets lost, seperated from a tour party! :p Who's to say, where reboots are concerned - if that's even what we're looking at.
  • CosmicFuzz 3 Mar 2010 15:39:41 24,548 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha I used to lock the butler in the freezer too in TR3. Hahahahaha I just remembered his face as he walked up to the glass and peered out :D

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Page

of 78 First / Last